Recently-abandoned games Page 85

• Page

of 141 First / Last

• BryanAKADJ 24 Sep 2012 13:48:55 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Raiko101 Yeah, I heard the plot was bad, I played it a bit and it was fun, I never played any of the survival-horror ones, just a bit of 4 & 5. I played a bit of 2 when I was young, but always used my gameshark whenever I played it though :p I liked the setting so far, very dark and eerie, tight halls. That was a week ago or something, I want to play it again but whenever I take out SoulSilver I can hear it calling my name.

/not crazy, honestly.......No really, I'm not.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• santashi 24 Sep 2012 13:51:41 5,050 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @BryanAKADJ Take small steps. Change your icon to a zombie.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Deleted user 24 September 2012 14:42:49
    @lordofdeadside

Honestly bud, stick with it. If you've only got to 1-3 then you've barely scratched the surface.

I was similarly unenamoured with it at first but now I'd rate it as one of 2012's best games.

It's basically Dark Souls in platforming form.
  • -cerberus- 24 Sep 2012 14:50:48 2,441 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mortal Kombat 3 on MegaDrive. Just got it in the mail, it's unplayable with the regular 3 button controller. Science damn it.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Bremenacht 24 Sep 2012 15:04:53 17,613 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lordofdeadside wrote:
    Close to giving up on Spelunky, i quite enjoy it, but i've never managed to get past world 1-3 and i'm getting a bit bored. The chaps on the EG podcast said to stick with it, but for how long!
    Noooooo!
    Change the way you're playing and try again. I'm only up to 1-4, but I'm still stumbling across new and amusing events to keep me going. It's only good for short bursts though. I tend to stop when I find myself laughing at the bastard game for killing me in a new way.
  • lordofdeadside 24 Sep 2012 15:30:51 1,100 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @AdamAsunder I'll do my best to keep going, but tbh i've put a fair few hours in. Even Demon's Souls/Dark Souls were enjoyable way before then!
  • BryanAKADJ 24 Sep 2012 16:05:30 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @santashi No, no, I can stop whenever I want. I, I, I swear.

/eyes veer at SoulSilver cartridge

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• Bremenacht 24 Sep 2012 18:12:02 17,613 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lordofdeadside wrote:
    @AdamAsunder I'll do my best to keep going, but tbh i've put a fair few hours in. Even Demon's Souls/Dark Souls were enjoyable way before then!
    You're not allowed to give up until you've been eaten by a worm.
  • -cerberus- 30 Sep 2012 17:56:47 2,441 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not abandonning it but I need to let off some steam for a bit. Uncharted 3 on Crushing is, well. crushingly difficult. I've been throwing all sorts of nasty words at my poor defenseless telly, especially during shootouts on the cruise ship...

• Mikeeeboy1 30 Sep 2012 22:27:11 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sleeping dogs cos it bored the crap out of me.

66/100 random yes but the game is so meh
  • MadCaddy13 30 Sep 2012 23:03:03 1,856 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gravity rush - after playing a couple of missions it's failed to grip me. Plus it makes me slightly ill.
  • jabberwoky 1 Oct 2012 10:39:27 465 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had great hopes for 2 worlds 2, but have given up. Its just mediocre in every department, combat is sub par, world is sub par, story is poor, graphics are sub par, physics are a joke, the towns are underwhelming, the horse riding is annoying, I spent 20 minutes being chased round the map by a small wild pig which kept handing me my arse whenever it caught up with me. Its a bit like a bunch of 9 year olds trying to clone oblivion on a budget of 2k. The mages guild has about 4 rooms and two people in it. After 10 hours without getting anything back from it, enough is enough.
  • Zizoo 1 Oct 2012 10:45:06 8,115 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:

You are meh.
  • skuzzbag 1 Oct 2012 21:17:10 5,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Black Mesa - There is no way the original was so punishing with the damage the soldiers do on normal.

I'm in the tunnel where you drop down and get attacked by wave after wave of spawning soldiers. The only way I think to stop them is to move up into the level. Except they tear you to pieces as there are about 8 of them, nowhere to hide and if you do make it past them 3 Alien Grunts spawn and fuck you up as well!

If you do manage to kill about 20 of them the fuckers respawn. FUCKERS!

I mean come on FFS at least give me somewhere to fucking cover. Shame as I was really enjoying the trip.

Edited by skuzzbag at 21:17:47 01-10-2012
  • -cerberus- 1 Oct 2012 21:19:45 2,441 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:

You are meh.
    Meh is meh.

• skuzzbag 1 Oct 2012 21:25:13 5,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just watched someone play it on hard.

I'm too old for games.
  • jabberwoky 2 Oct 2012 12:13:59 465 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @skuzzbag No, you're not too old. Infinitely Re-spawning enemies is just bad game design.
  • dsmx 2 Oct 2012 12:22:44 7,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's the thing I hate the most about next gen gaming, regen health always means that when the game amps up the difficulty it resorts to infinitely respawning enemies and/or grenade spam.

Bring back health packs, to make the game harder you just make the enemy bullets do more damage and/or put less health packs in the level.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• RyanDS 2 Oct 2012 12:46:31 9,062 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    It's the thing I hate the most about next gen gaming, regen health always means that when the game amps up the difficulty it resorts to infinitely respawning enemies and/or grenade spam.

Bring back health packs, to make the game harder you just make the enemy bullets do more damage and/or put less health packs in the level.
    This is why I honestly think Resistance 3 is the first great FPS since Halo did it's best to ruin the genre.
  • MatMan562 2 Oct 2012 13:06:29 2,315 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    I'm not abandonning it but I need to let off some steam for a bit. Uncharted 3 on Crushing is, well. crushingly difficult. I've been throwing all sorts of nasty words at my poor defenseless telly, especially during shootouts on the cruise ship...
    You're a much braver man than I, I was the same playing it on Normal. I think with it being so "cinematic" it made every death feel 10 times worse, like the DVD player had broken whilst watching a movie. Finished it in the end though.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Deleted user 2 October 2012 13:21:44
    RyanDS wrote:
    dsmx wrote:

This is why I honestly think Resistance 3 is the first great FPS since Halo did it's best to ruin the genre.
    agree. I applaud R3 for the use of medi packs. Adds, tension, and you have to change the way you play to survive certain situations.
  • -cerberus- 2 Oct 2012 13:29:43 2,441 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote: You're a much braver man than I, I was the same playing it on Normal. I think with it being so "cinematic" it made every death feel 10 times worse, like the DVD player had broken whilst watching a movie. Finished it in the end though.
    Managed to get to Chapter 19 yesterday :) Will probably finish it tonight. Not looking forward to the "psychedelic" shootout though...

• thefilthandthefury 3 Oct 2012 07:39:43 24,952 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    dsmx wrote:

I'd be pointing the finger more at CoD... and I love Call of Duty! It does have some monumentally terrible design decisions though, especially on this front.
  • Stranded87 3 Oct 2012 09:32:42 858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS Surely Half Life 2 is the first? It came long before Resistance 3 (though after Halo) and is better than either. Not to mention the fact that Resistance 3 feels quite heavily influenced by it.

Not to knock Resistance 3, it is one of the best 'straight' FPS games of the generation.
  • RyanDS 3 Oct 2012 12:07:25 9,062 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    @RyanDS Surely Half Life 2 is the first? It came long before Resistance 3 (though after Halo) and is better than either. Not to mention the fact that Resistance 3 feels quite heavily influenced by it.

Not to knock Resistance 3, it is one of the best 'straight' FPS games of the generation.
    True. I forgot about Half Life 2. For me the golden age of FPS games though is still the era of Jedi Knight, Return to Wolfenstein. No One Lives Forever 2, Half Life and so on. Great single player experiences that had stories and a decent length.

Fuck multiplayer, two weapons, and recharging health.
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 18:27:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Halo had health packs, though. :/
  • evild_edd 4 Oct 2012 18:41:07 3,017 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In fairness to Halo, it had a game system to support recharging health (or shields anyway) - enemy AI that hunted you down, particularly on the harder difficulty. The problem is that games with weaker enemy AI (the shooting gallery CoDs, for example) are cheapened by the recharging health with an abundance of cover. It means that harder difficulties on these titles become cheap 'one hit kill' set-ups that become frustrating bores.

The Halo series suits recharging health/shield as the mechanics support it. It's not Bungie's fault that other titles have adopted one mechanic in to inappropriate settings.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• ronuds 4 Oct 2012 18:57:24 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As if there weren't crappy FPSs before Halo anyway. Now they're just a different sort of crappy.
  • dsmx 4 Oct 2012 19:05:15 7,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    These days most FPS are at least passable the problem lies in the shitty way regenerating health is implemented, the crappy AI that fills every shooter and the stupidly cheap ways they use to kill people to make up for the crappy AI, poor, boring level design and regenerating health.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• ronuds 4 Oct 2012 19:22:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think people look back on health packs with rose-tinted goggles the same way they do anything else.
  • Page

of 141 First / Last