Recently-abandoned games

• Page

of 147 First / Last

Previous
  • dr_swin 2 Apr 2008 09:38:15 4,903 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is like the recently completed games thread, but for those games that you played and decided were just not for you. Or perhaps you really liked it but something else came along and stole its place on your gaming roster.

I am going to start up with;

okami
    This is a great game, beautifully made with amazing art. I feel it really suffered by being released so close to twilight princess. The game itself is structurally extremely similar to the zelda games and the fact that it was also about a wolf diminished my desire to play it so soon after sinking 60 odd hours into zelda. It also suffers from being on the ps2 and with each passing day, my desire to revisit the ps2 wanes that bit further. alas my progress has stalled several months ago at about 20 hours which I have heard is probably only about 1/3 of the way through. Such a great game deserved better really.

9/10
  • warlockuk 2 Apr 2008 09:41:20 19,198 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stranglehold. Got fucked off with getting stuck in mid air while it worked it's shit out and having to fight the same boss again and again and again, only to be told shooting statues makes them fall - and having them fall the opposite direction to the boss _every_ time.

Or running round areas for half an hour wondering how to get the last target because a barrel I shot hadn't moved properly to fall down and trigger a platform raising.

So I thought "Fuck this game. Fuck it up it's arse" and returned it.

9/10 for "cool". 3/10 for just being a little bit shit.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• motti82 2 Apr 2008 09:44:01 2,899 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mine are GoW and Burnout Paradise.

GoW has never really settled for me, I don't like the aiming of the guns and general cover/shoot/cover way of doing things. I might give it another go soon though.

Burnout, great game but it is so driven to the online side of it, and now that everyone's done their goals, no one plays on it anymore, so can't get achievements or much fun out of it.
  • Amajiro 2 Apr 2008 09:45:12 2,214 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bioshock, Crysis and Halo 3. I just don't think I can be arsed running around and shooting things any more.
  • PES_Fanboy 2 Apr 2008 09:50:30 17,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SKATE

Wanted it for ages, got it at a bargain price but haven't now got the time or patience to go through it any further (haven't even unlocked any new areas).

8/10 (would be a 9 if you could get off your board)
  • X201 2 Apr 2008 09:53:21 15,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amajiro wrote:
    Bioshock,

Please, just go back and play it until the end of the Fort Frolic level. Then dump it if you want.

• Quint2020 2 Apr 2008 09:59:11 3,484 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oblivion

I'm sure this probably makes me some sort of evil philistine of gaming but at least i gave it a fair chance.

I've tried to play this 3 times and each time i've got annoyed with it and given up on it, usually for one of the following reasons:

1. The main quest FORCES you to use the god awful, dull, repetitive combat system; you can't even avoid using the crap system by playing a sneaky character because at one point or another in the main quest you just plain have to use it.

2. The supposed "freedom" the game offers you is BS because you basically have to play a combat character, if you play as a non combat class and you go through levelling your main NON COMBAT skills all the monsters level up around you and end up handing you your arse every 5 minutes.

I basically end up grinding combat skills just so that i can walk around the bloody world, if i wanted to do that i'd of bought WoW for Christ's sake.

3. Those bloody Oblivion gates are the most mundane, repetitive things i may well have ever come across in a game, it doesn't help that most of the main quest is dull as dishwater as well.

Can i see why people like it? Yes, but i'm sorry i simply don't, i wish i did because i want a decent western RPG for my 360 now i've finished Mass Effect, it's a technical marvel but most of the unconventional and supposed "revolutionary" design decisions just plain piss me off.

I'll give it a 7/10 because it's obviously a great game, just not at all for me.
  • GrandTheftApu 2 Apr 2008 10:00:01 6,119 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    SKATE

Wanted it for ages, got it at a bargain price but haven't now got the time or patience to go through it any further (haven't even unlocked any new areas).

8/10 (would be a 9 if you could get off your board)

I have given up on progressing through any more of the challenges, most of the later ones require you to get get scores so high you pretty much have to be in a halfpipe or skatepark. Screw that, i bought this game to skate the streets. Online sucks too.

I still play it loads though, just go free roaming finding new spots to skate. Mess with the replays of my best lines, just wish you could have more save slots for replays or export them to the hard drive.
  • HiddenAway 2 Apr 2008 10:11:41 14,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GrimGrimoire - 6/10

Saw my sister finish it within 5 days, spamming dragon attacks. Never saw sense to carry on. Not one I'd go back to in a hurry...

Final Fantasy Tactics - 8/10

Played it, enjoyed it, realised my main character was becoming too powerful for everyone else, random battles on the routes FTL while killing time for your side-quest guys to return. Was abandoned while I tried to get through Exit 100% and now Gurumin 100%.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Tiger_Walts 2 Apr 2008 10:13:19 16,607 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can't expect to be the saviour of a whole goddamned world and not have any combat skills! So you have no defensive or offensive magic?

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• glaeken 2 Apr 2008 10:14:13 11,228 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dam I have quite a list.

DMC4 - I should have loved this game but it just failed to work for me. It's difficult to put my finger on what is wrong with it but I just found it a chore to play.

Stranglehold - The on rails chopper section right near the beginning of the game that lasts way too long and I failed to clear twice caused the game to get ejected and it’s not been back in the tray since.

Project Sylpheed - The game was just way to frenetic for me. It's a shame as I loved the ship controls but every single mission throwing 10,000 enemies at you just ruins it. If the devs had concentrated on far less enemies but tougher and smarter it would have been a far better game.

It's funny but I actually feel guilty about buying a game and abandoning it before finishing it.
  • DaM 2 Apr 2008 10:14:41 13,362 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never abandon games. I just shift them into the teetering pile of "I'll get round to this one day...."

Roll on 65!
  • Deleted user 2 April 2008 10:14:54
    Super Mario Galaxy. Quite enjoyed this when I was playing it but not felt any real urge to go back and finish it.
  • mad_caddy 2 Apr 2008 10:14:58 3,306 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Might come as a shock to some but

PES Wii

My inital impressions were very good but as time has gone on I've found that I just dont get on with it, the passing and moving works very well, I just find the rest of the game to be missing somewhat. Might also be the fact I'm heavily into No More Heroes.
  • HiddenAway 2 Apr 2008 10:15:46 14,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    You can't expect to be the saviour of a whole goddamned world and not have any combat skills! So you have no defensive or offensive magic?

It's not that, but the rest of the characters are just exceptionally weak compared to my main party, while I can't train the others because I send them out for the missions :p

EDIT: Oh, thought you were asking me :p. Never mind...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• JuanKerr 2 Apr 2008 10:17:12 36,375 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Twilight Princess

I really enjoyed the 15 or so hours I played, but just stopped playing it. Just couldn't quite get over the fact that it wasn't made for the Wii and it never felt as enjoyable and charming as Wind Waker.

Perhaps I'll go back to it one day, but there are games specifically designed for the Wii that keep coming and I'd rather invest time in them.
  • JuanKerr 2 Apr 2008 10:18:06 36,375 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ruggedtoast wrote:
    Super Mario Galaxy. Quite enjoyed this when I was playing it but not felt any real urge to go back and finish it.

Out of interest, how far are you into the game? Some of the later Galaxies are utterly brilliant, so it's well worth revisting it :)
  • Quint2020 2 Apr 2008 10:20:30 3,484 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:

I'm sure you're probably right but i don't like the game, nobody can say i didn't give it a fair chance, i just don't like it.
  • JuanKerr 2 Apr 2008 10:22:55 36,375 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Twilight Princess

I really enjoyed the 15 or so hours I played, but just stopped playing it. Just couldn't quite get over the fact that it wasn't made for the Wii and it never felt as enjoyable and charming as Wind Waker.

Perhaps I'll go back to it one day, but there are games specifically designed for the Wii that keep coming and I'd rather invest time in them.
    That's a pity, it's a great (but flawed) game with a great ending.

I know, I know and I'm slightly ashamed of myself. I might well press on with it this Summer when the inevitable games drought hits ...
  • Aretak 2 Apr 2008 10:25:57 10,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    .hack//INFECTION

It's a nice idea in theory, but absoloutely pointless beyond belief in practice.
  • Spanky 2 Apr 2008 10:26:04 14,536 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dead Rising
    It all seems to bloody pointless! I don't have time to play games multiple times, there are other games to play in the very short time i have to play it in!

Plubs

• SlackMaster 2 Apr 2008 10:35:08 3,134 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Onimusha Dawn of Dreams... Thought it'd be similar to Oni3 but it plays more like an action game and the view is too close to the character abscuring stuff on the screen.

Played throught the first Act then stopped through boredom and a tired thumb.

Score: 6/10

Spanky wrote:
    Dead Rising
    It all seems to bloody pointless! I don't have time to play games multiple times, there are other games to play in the very short time i have to play it in!

I found Dead Rising the same. I really didn't like the Psycho fights as they just weren't fun and also missing out on timed story events which mean you have to start over again.

• OnlyMe 2 Apr 2008 10:35:28 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Klonoa 2
    Lost Odyssey

Verdict? They're all good, and most of them are bloody good. Th reason? There's just too many games now! I should complete LO, I'm right at the start of disc two (haven't even left the forest yet). Okami I only tried for a couple of hours, and I could see why it's so popular. Klonoa 2 is addictive as hell, but so is the need to get through the events in GT5P.

And a couple of days ago I also bought God of War PSP, and yesterday I ordered Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core - and it was shipped today.
  • tomb85 2 Apr 2008 10:36:11 204 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eternal Sonata

I was really into the game but then got hit with a bit of a family tragedy and I've since found it a little weird playing a game that has death as the central theme :-S

I shall get back to it in a few weeks time hopefully as it was one of the finest games I've played on 360 despite its faults.

9/10
  • Tiger_Walts 2 Apr 2008 10:39:36 16,607 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    Tiger_Walts wrote:

It's not that, but the rest of the characters are just exceptionally weak compared to my main party, while I can't train the others because I send them out for the missions :p

EDIT: Oh, thought you were asking me :p. Never mind...

I was responding to the Oblivion post.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Page

of 147 First / Last

Previous