Technical PC help required

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Tio 1 Apr 2008 18:19:14 150 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For the second time i have lost the sound from my PC when i watch Eurogammer TV videos.

I have sound perfectly when i use Itunes, but any web based video's...BBC i player, Videogaiden, EGTV the sound is gone.

This happened last week and i reinstalled JAVA and it cured it, i wonder if anybody has any idea's of something else i can try, so i do not have to go through that again.
  • Dirtbox 1 Apr 2008 18:30:42 77,775 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Update the sound card drivers, or if it's a Creative card - bin it.

:)

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Ace_McCloud 1 Sep 2008 12:31:51 1,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Competely different to the above, but didn't want to start a thread.

Just bought a Kodak DVD-R and when I insert it into the DVD drive and double click it says "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function". I click ok, but it's not ok people! Any idea why this may be happening?

CD's work fine in the drive and it is definately a DVD drive with writing capabilities...

Thanks in advance.
  • Fatiguez 21 Sep 2008 09:33:36 8,719 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have some PC questions!

Recently, my computer has become a little slower. Programs take longer than usual to load, games chug a bit and some of them suffer sound stuttering. Also, my computer only starts every other time - whenever I turn it on, nothing happens. The computer is on and all, but my monitor's power button shows an orange light as though it's off, and the POST doesn't happen. If I restart it though, it'll work that time.

I think it may be a hard drive problem, but I'm not certain (though I did open up my PC case and cleaned it, and made sure all the components were working). I've had my hard drive for just over two and a half years, so I'm thinking it might just be on its last legs. If this is the case, I have a question for installing a new hard drive:

My current hard drive came with Windows pre-installed, so I don't have an installation CD. If I install a second hard drive and format it, is there any way to transfer Windows over from my current hard drive? If not, I have another question. I have a legitimate product key thingy for Windows, from my current hard drive - if I download a torrent of the version of Windows I have now and install it on a new hard drive, then use the product key to activate it, would it be legal or not (considering that the original hard drive would no longer be in use)?

Thanks for the help :)
  • nickthegun 21 Sep 2008 10:40:56 59,538 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you got any disks at all? because if you 'just' re-install windows, you will find that a lot of things dont work anymore as you dont have the drivers for them.

If you are sure its hardware, rather than your XP install being gimped in some way, take an image of your current drive then transfer it over to the new drive.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 21 September 2008 10:58:40
    Generally I just close my eyes and hope all my problems go away. Or just pretend everything is fine.
  • Ryze 21 Sep 2008 11:04:44 3,124 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fatiguez wrote:

Recently, my computer has become a little slower. Programs take longer than usual to load, games chug a bit and some of them suffer sound stuttering. Also, my computer only starts every other time - whenever I turn it on, nothing happens. The computer is on and all, but my monitor's power button shows an orange light as though it's off, and the POST doesn't happen. If I restart it though, it'll work that time.

I think it may be a hard drive problem, but I'm not certain (though I did open up my PC case and cleaned it, and made sure all the components were working). I've had my hard drive for just over two and a half years, so I'm thinking it might just be on its last legs. If this is the case, I have a question for installing a new hard drive:

My current hard drive came with Windows pre-installed, so I don't have an installation CD. If I install a second hard drive and format it, is there any way to transfer Windows over from my current hard drive? If not, I have another question. I have a legitimate product key thingy for Windows, from my current hard drive - if I download a torrent of the version of Windows I have now and install it on a new hard drive, then use the product key to activate it, would it be legal or not (considering that the original hard drive would no longer be in use)?

If at any point you've suggested that your HDD might be dying then you should have already backed it up using ghost / imagex etc and tried another if you value your data / installation.

Eliminate that then get back to us.

Don't buy Maxtor.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(14034)Western-Digital-160GB-Caviar-SATA-II-300.aspx

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(24866)Western-Digital-1TB-1000-GB--Caviar-GP-SATA.aspx

• skuzzbag 21 Sep 2008 11:46:07 5,638 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fatiguez wrote:

Back up your docs and data first before anything else.

As far as the stuttering and slow windows performance in concerned:

You don't say what type of hard drive interface your pc has but if it's the older IDE type and not SATA then check the primary IDE channel properties and make sure that 'DMA if available' is selected and not 'PIO Only'.

Check this first and then if OK boot Windows in Safe mode (Press F8 after switching the PC on and the BIOS screen has displayed).

Does the PC run any better in safe mode? Ie not slow?

Your product key should be ok to use on your PC with a different drive but I reckon you need to speak to Microsoft first.

Also, a net copy of Windows is not to be trusted at all IMO.
  • Fatiguez 21 Sep 2008 15:49:27 8,719 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alright, I've backed up all my important files onto an external hard drive.

Crispy: No exclamation marks.

skuzz: My hard drive is SATA, but I checked and all the IDE channels are set to DMA anyway. I can't really say if the PC runs any better in safe mode, because I can't start up any games.

Worth pointing out, I think, that I don't really have a clue what's going on. My computer just suddenly became a little slower one day, and I've run virus and spyware scans, defragmented, cleaned up the drive... nada.

Perhaps it'll help to point out exactly when this started. About 2 weeks ago, I downloading the World in Conflict demo, and ran the performance test. The first couple of times were excellent - framerates were very good and consistent at high settings, and I was just tweaking the settings. Then, partway through a test after that, the program crashed. When I ran it again, I was getting very poor framerates (20-40 FPS), and that was when my computer got slower (though the change wasn't as drastic with other games - just enough to be noticeable and annoying). Stupidly, I just left it, hoping it would get better - evidently, this didn't work :p

Have I unwittingly done something incredibly stupid?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Carlo 13 Apr 2011 09:01:44 18,004 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A long shot but here we go:

I want to TEST the given Active Directory Restore Password (Directory Services Restore) that I have on file for all my domain controllers.

How can I test the account, without shutting down the server (or services). I can find lots of articles on how to change it, but I just want to test it...

Its a Win2k3 Domain (Native) on Win2k3 boxes...

PSN ID: Djini

• caligari 18 Apr 2011 22:02:52 17,024 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not so technical - but I still have no idea how to do it.

I like to stream TV shows on my PC, but the screen sometimes gives me a be-atch of a headache (to be honest, the chair is bloody uncomfortable, too).

How easy is it to connect me PC up to a TV that is in a separate room? Is it possible?

I know I could Google it, but you guys are good at giving me the info in easy-to-understand retard-friendly nuggets.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2011 22:52:51
    I stream wirelessly from the pc in the front room to the tv in the back room using simply the Xbox (also in back room) as a media center extender. Simple if you have wireless and an xbox!
  • ronuds 18 Apr 2011 23:03:40 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are also special converters you can buy. And some of the new, fancier TVs have wifi.
  • BeheretiK 20 Apr 2011 07:56:33 883 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Not so technical - but I still have no idea how to do it.

I like to stream TV shows on my PC, but the screen sometimes gives me a be-atch of a headache (to be honest, the chair is bloody uncomfortable, too).

How easy is it to connect me PC up to a TV that is in a separate room? Is it possible?

I know I could Google it, but you guys are good at giving me the info in easy-to-understand retard-friendly nuggets.

You can get stuff like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-5.8ghz-video-sender-264419

I have never used any of them before so can't vouch for how good they are, but they are pretty cheap at least...

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Buztafen 21 Apr 2011 12:39:38 16,210 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, may aswell use this thread instead of creating a new one. Here's the problem im encountering.

My parents PC (Pentium 4 3.6, 2gb DDR, Radeon 4650, Win XP, DFI 915P Motherboard) recently started to overheat. The standard intel CPU hsf wasnt up to the task. I replaced the stock fan and all is well, temps are low and the PC worked great until i tried to connect it to their Sky Broadband Router (Sagem Grey) using a wired connection.

What happens is every time i open a web browser (Chrome, IE8 etc) after a few seconds of surfing, the Sky router disconnects from the internet. The green 'Internet' light goes out and the browser defaults to a "Sky Broadband is unavailable at the moment" page?!?

Strangely if i close the browser down after a minute or so the router reconnects to the internet but if i then try a browser again it does the same thing...works for a bit then disconnects.

Now my parents also have a Dell Netbook (Win 7 Starter) which works perfectly with the Sky router by both Wired and Wireless connection, no disconnects, no problems. Also the PC with the problem worked fine with the O2 router at my house for hours on end while i was replacing the stock fan. So whats the problem?

What does the Sky router disconnect when using a browser on only this computer all of a sudden. It was working fine before i changed the fan? I havent changed anything else or reinstalled XP or anything so all the drivers are the same. Ive also run Microsoft Security Essesntials and Malwarebytes a few times and found nothing in the way of Malware or Viruses.

Anybody have any ideas im at a loss... :(
  • coastal 21 Apr 2011 12:46:50 5,382 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't provide a solution but what's the status of the network connection in xp when this happens. I'd also try a ping through command line: 'ping bbc.co.uk' or something.

It's a bit odd that your browsers are displaying something particular to sky and not something generic like '440 error - page not found' or some dns error.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Buztafen 21 Apr 2011 13:01:52 16,210 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will try the ping test. XP network connection just says there is no connection because the router itself isnt connected to the internet...:(
  • Buztafen 21 Apr 2011 14:04:45 16,210 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok tried the ping over lunch all seems fine...when its connected. Obviously when it disconnects it cant find anything.

Is the lan port shorting out the router or something? I just dont get it...
  • Deleted user 21 April 2011 14:07:22
    Random PC question: BIOS updates are straightforward but still should only reaaally be done by technical people, right? I only ask because my mum's got an HP laptop which randomly prompted her to install a BIOS update through HP's own updater software, it didn't come up with any warnings or 'PS THIS COULD ROYALLY FUCK THINGS UP' messages, just 'do you want to install?' and then a 'install complete, please restart' message afterwards. Threw me a bit as I'm always used to BIOS updates warning like fuckery before it'll even let you view the readme.
  • cianchristopher 21 Apr 2011 14:12:34 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fun fact: if you have an Asus motherboard (like I do) then Gears of War (Windows) will update your BIOS for you instead of updating the game.

Isn't that "value added"? I think so, as it totally fucked my BIOS up and took me months to get it back working without issue.

If I ever meet the guys from Epic/People Can Fly - I'll make sure to torture 'em before I kill 'em...
  • Chopsen 21 Apr 2011 14:19:40 15,886 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's sounds not very helpful.

Was that a deliberate design decision? Or a massive fuck up?
  • mikew1985 21 Apr 2011 14:20:47 12,672 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait, it did what?

How?
  • coastal 21 Apr 2011 14:21:43 5,382 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme,
    I've got a gigabyte mobo and the bios updater is pretty foolproof. It'll load the bios, check that it's ok and if not revert back to previous. In all honesty, if the laptop is running fine for her there's not much reason to update is there?

buztafen,
    I'm clueless. Uninstall LAN driver and reinstall? This PC isn't near the router is it? I'm wondering if you've got a massive CRT monitor on it then that's causing interference in the router (it happens with BT home hubs). Does the router bomb out when surfing from the laptop and the PC is connected but not used?

• cianchristopher 21 Apr 2011 14:25:23 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No, it's not helpful at all.

Basically, there was an issue with the automatic updater that the game has, whereby it would inadvertently trigger the Asus BIOS updater thingy at the same time.

Of course, I only found this out after the fact, thorugh extensive googling.
  • Buztafen 21 Apr 2011 14:43:27 16,210 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    I'm clueless. Uninstall LAN driver and reinstall? This PC isn't near the router is it? I'm wondering if you've got a massive CRT monitor on it then that's causing interference in the router (it happens with BT home hubs). Does the router bomb out when surfing from the laptop and the PC is connected but not used?

Ive got a few things im going to try when i get up there. Re-installing is the Marvell LAN drivers is number one. Ive heard turning off Upnp in the router settings can help too but i dont know why its affecting it now when it didnt before?

If the pc is connected but no browser is open the Laptop works fine. When i open and use a browser on the pc it and it disconnects the internet then obviously the laptop wont connect to the net then. The laptop works fine when it is using the same wire thats in the pc btw.

Basically it goes...

- Open browser (chrome, firefox, IE, ive tried a few)
    - Homepage appears, its currently www.orange.co.uk (dont ask) ive tried other pages set to home too. Still connected, everything looks fine.
    - Try navigating to any other page or click on a link from Home page and the page freezes, router disconnects i.e green flashing light that represents internet on the sky router goes out then starts flashing orange/red like it does when you first turn it on and it tries to connect except it cant connect to anything even if you leave it.
    - Clicking refresh in the browser brings up a Sky Broadband splash screen stating that the connection is down. A box asking for username and password pops up to.
    - If i close the browser down the router reconnects to the internet (orange/red flashing light turns green). I can then start the whole process of again by opening a browser.

Cheers for any suggestions.
  • coastal 21 Apr 2011 14:47:55 5,382 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    that is nuts. good luck.

• X201 21 Apr 2011 14:49:26 15,287 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:

- Homepage appears, its currently www.orange.co.uk (dont ask) ive tried other pages set to home too. Still connected, everything looks fine.

Is the homepage a live version, or is it operating from the cache?
    Best way to detect this is to switch your homepage to something like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ and check the "Last updated" time near the BBC logo, each time you open the browser.
  • Buztafen 21 Apr 2011 15:06:48 16,210 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Buztafen wrote:

Is the homepage a live version, or is it operating from the cache?
    Best way to detect this is to switch your homepage to something like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ and check the "Last updated" time near the BBC logo, each time you open the browser.

Its definitely live when i first open a browser. It all depends on how quickly the router disconnects from when i open the browser. My test has been using a bookmark to youtube and playing a video quicklybefore seeing it freeze and the green light go out...then i :'(.

Could it be some kind of electrical short from the ethernet port to the router?

• Buztafen 21 Apr 2011 15:26:25 16,210 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok another quick question, with my folks not using the internet for anything other than general browsing, watch iplayer, youtube, checking email/bank etc. Will it affect anything if i turn UPNP off in the router. Its just automatic port forwarding isn't it?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous