480p - how and which games?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 1 April 2008 12:29:45
    I've been googling for how to enable 480p on PS2 games, but I'm getting mixed results...some sites suggest hardly any PAL games have 480p, some say lots have, some say it should be enabled by default, some say you need a button combo.

So yes. Anyone know?
  • von_Doll 1 Apr 2008 12:32:21 2,105 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HD_Enhanced_PS2_games

Not much in the way of Prog-capable PAL games, and most of them have a menu option.
  • kalel 1 Apr 2008 12:33:48 86,392 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Itís a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest. Obviously you need a component cable for you PS2, which all seem to be a bit flaky, and even when you have it all set up right, some games still seem to struggle. Itís barely worth the effort in the end.
  • Cappy 1 Apr 2008 12:39:21 11,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PAL 480p Definitely

Shadow of the Colossus

480p Maybe

Resident Evil 4 (The US version supports it, not sure about PAL)

*edit*

Looking at that Wikipedia list I never realised how many PAL releases had the progressive option removed. Another reason to own an NTSC console.
  • elredeyegrande 1 Apr 2008 12:58:28 2,382 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was thinking of getting a component cable for my PS2. I'm guessing a PS3 one will work with it, no?
  • von_Doll 1 Apr 2008 13:09:14 2,105 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The HDTV player from Xploder forces [most] PS2 games into a de-interlaced mode as well as using its psuedo-software upscaler to dramatically improve the resolution. I've got one, and to be honest, it would be nigh-on impossible to play some of my PS2 collection on my HD Sammy without it. I don't know if you're using an HD telly and looking for an improvement in picture quality, but it does the trick. It made games like the GOWs and Second Sight, which look absolutely fugly on my TV, look almost CRT quality and instantly playable again.

It's got some bad reviews, but in my opinion, it's well worth it. I picked up mine for about £8 on Amazon Marketplace last year, which is worth the money for the bundled component lead alone.

The only downsides are that it isn't compatible with all games - it certainly doesn't work with Persona 3 and, although working with GHIII, corrupted my save game, you have to play in 4:3 to get the most out of it, and you have to reload the disc after every hard reset.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2008 20:51:30
    Hm, well, I just tried Resi 4 in 480p, and the difference is incredibly noticeable. I'm running through a VGA box (which actually looks reasonably decent anyway, more or less identical to it running on a decent LCD anyway).

Real shame more games don't seem to support it, but oh well.

My local CEX has that HDTV player for eight quid...d'you suppose it'll be worth it?
  • funkstar 1 Apr 2008 20:58:45 1,194 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i think the jak and daxter games support 480p
    and possibly also the ratchet and clank games

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Deleted user 1 April 2008 21:36:28
    Hokay, after a bit of research it seems that the HDTV player thingy is utter shite for actually upscaling (allegedly the higher resolutions are only listed because GT3 supported them...hardly anything else properly works), but for deinterlacing works well. So for eight quid, I should see a somewhat decent quality increase.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2008 21:47:05
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Wouldn't a good quality LCD TV upscale better than an eight quid box?

Wouldn't a good quality LCD TV cost a bit more than eight quid?

To cut a long story short: I don't have a TV. I have monitors that only have VGA/DVI input. The VGA box I bought is actually pretty excellent, but doesn't deinterlace the picture, which going by Resi 4 at 480p looks noticeable better. However, from all accounts only 5 or so PAL games actually support official 480p output. The HDTV player thingy forces the PS2 to output at 480p, hence, should be a better image.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2008 21:51:57
    FFXII, Okami and Yakuza at ze moment.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2008 21:56:05
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Ah, gotcha. Does the box look better on the CRT monitor than on a normal TV? Was thinking of hooking my Wii up to an old 22" CRT monitor but it wouldn't work with my old cubes game if I used a transcoder.

The 480p image on my LCD monitor looks better than the image on the CRT TV we have downstairs (which is too fucking large and heavy to lug up my narrow stairs). 480i image is comparable, but it depends whether you prefer pixelisation on the LCD or blurriness on the TV. Don't have a CRT monitor, so can't test that, but I imagine it would probably look slightly sharper, what with the lack of native resolution.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2008 21:56:48
    NatAttack wrote:
    But those are GODDAMN EMO games! Play proper mans games like Scarface.

I only got it t'play the exclusives. Got Scarface on the PC.
  • Ryze 1 Apr 2008 22:37:01 3,123 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know you're itching to play The Getaway in 480p, eh?

...no?!
  • Deleted user 1 April 2008 22:39:12
    The worst thing about Getaway was having to play through the pathetically bad campaign to unlock the free roam mode. Whizzing about (an admittedly somewhat neutered) London at least had some thrills.
  • Ryze 1 Apr 2008 22:43:00 3,123 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gremmi, you remind me of me 1 year ago.

I grabbed an Xbox for the exclusives - got it for £30. Went straight out and grabbed Ninja Gaiden Black, Outrun 2006 and PGR2.

Went on to get SF Anniversary collection - decent online - and grabbed GTA: SA for cheap even though I've got the PS2 game.

Glad I did it all now because I just grabbed Burnout 3 last week, and I've put the Xbox in my bedroom to accompany my PSP for fall-asleep-gaming.

Planning on modding the Xbox for emulators and Media Centre use when I can be arsed...
  • Deleted user 2 April 2008 11:08:48
    NatAttack wrote:
    Did you get a PSP as well as the PS2?

Unfortunately, no. The taxman slayed me this month for reason I haven't quite worked out, so I couldn't really afford both.

Anyway, picked this HDTV Player thingy up and it's probably worth the 8 quid (although I traded stuff in anyway, so it didn't technically cost me anything). The only issue I have is that it won't do widescreen - it'll only output a 4:3 picture. Also, FFXII doesn't work with it - it locks up on the initial FMV, so that's annoying.

However, Bully and Transformers are both noticeably better, especially Bully. Haven't tried it with anything else yet.
  • mrpon 2 Apr 2008 11:11:36 28,462 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    List here of 480p supported games.

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• benChammer 3 Apr 2008 16:11:38 50 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gremmi

Which VGA box do you use? Like you, I recently got a ps2 to play the exclusives. Only problem is I don't have a TV, just an LCD monitor with a VGA input.
    I'm dying to get it connected up, reading the SotC manual is not as entertaining as it once was :(
  • Deleted user 3 April 2008 16:19:31
    This one, obviously connected via component.

Whilst it's certainly the best VGA box I've ever tried (and has the advantage of being universal for any consoles), you shouldn't expect stellar results anyway. 480i looks pixellated and slightly messy, simply due to monitors lacking the natural blurriness of standard TVs, but with the Xploder HD disc forcing (most) games to 480p, a component cable and turning the sharpening level on the VGA box off entirely (something I only discovered today), it actually looks a lot better than it would on a standard TV, although ostensibly still way off the HD goodness you may be used to.

I'll try to grab some screenshots to show how it looks.
  • benChammer 3 Apr 2008 16:55:10 50 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ta very much. I think I'll wander down to Maplin and pick one up. It is a bit pricey but the alternative would be to get an LCD tv with component and VGA input (gotta connect my comp up too) which all seem to be over £150. Damn those money-grabbing TV-makers.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2008 17:10:00
    Hmm, I just took a couple of screenshots using my camera, but it doesn't really show much due to the usual limitations of photographing screens. The best comparison shots I could find on t'web were here, although that's using an older version of the box.
  • Razz 3 Apr 2008 17:11:09 60,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gremmi is a pill made by MONGLORG.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• benChammer 3 Apr 2008 17:40:41 50 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It looks good! I'm quite surprised because I've heard that VGA boxes are generally a bit shit.
    I'll probs get the cheaper version as I only have a 19" non-widescreen monitor anyway.
  • convercide 12 Apr 2008 10:48:23 5,921 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Of the Wiki list, Ghosthunter is a good looking game which would look decent in 480p.

Also: Madagascar is 720p? WTF?

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Cadence 30 Aug 2010 22:36:26 1,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My sister's just given me her old PS2 slim, but only the crappy rgb cable with it. I've ordered a component cable from amazon for about £4 though. Is it just a case of plugging it in and off you go, or do you have to fiddle around with the settings on the PS2? What resolution will it output in (not 100% sure that my Samsung LCD is going to be compatible).
  • Cadence 30 Aug 2010 22:52:46 1,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair enough, I'm not overly bothered about it outputting in 480p. What resolution will the component cable output in then? I'm guessing the picture quality should be a bit better than the standard cable you get.
  • ploder 31 Aug 2010 12:39:51 243 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing you need to watch out for when using RGB is the fact that not all sockets on a TV will be RGB enabled even if they are scart. My 28' Panasonic CRT only has 1 RGB socket which is AV1. AV2 socket is composite only, so plugging an RGB cable in that will only output composite on screen. So if you have CRT best cable would be RGB (fully wired scart, not scart adaptor block on red white yellow composite) If you have HDTV best cable would be component (five plugs) To change video modes switch on PS2 without any games. In the browser change video mode to YPbPr. Insert component cables.

There are in fact many ways to run PS2 games at higher resolutions:

1. Relying on the games developers themselves to give you the option in game. Some games have it hidden and you hold triangle and X while booting up. This would be the simplest way since they will have programmed the games to use that resolution properly.

2. Xploder HTDV disc. This piece of software forces the PS2 into using different video modes. Bear in mind that software can't do anything which the hardware wasn't made to do. People found out that the PS2 is technically capable of outputting up to 1080i on TVs and other resolutions via VGA (vesa). These guys just made the software that enabled this. The results of using this won't always be great since obviously the games were never adapted for these resolutions.

3. Cheat code discs. Following on from above software only gives sets of instructions to hardware. It should therefore be possible to make your own instructions using cheat codes if you can hook into the memory addresses. Fortunately, if you have some knowledge of MIPS assembly you can do this with cheat discs like Xploder. This is how X/Y-fix and 60Hz (switch video mode to NTSC) codes were born. You can theoretically unlock all the PS2's video modes with 'cheat codes' if you have the skill.

4. Softmodding. Via the latest softmodding methods you can run a homebrew app known as GSM which allows you to force any resolution the PS2 is capable of achieving. Another thing is that the PS2 can go down the PC style route instead of using component via HDTV. You can actually force even higher refresh rates outputting to a computer monitor via VGA cables and a VGA box. For info on this see here:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61808

Obviously the various unofficial methods mentioned above will be hit and miss (don't expect 100% satisfaction for all games) but for those who like to tinker this kind of stuff is awesome and really takes the PS2 to another level. So, we no longer need to wait for people to 'provide an option' we do it ourselves ;)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next