Any new electronic music to recommend? Page 31

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• riz23 29 Jul 2013 21:05:27 1,058 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    London based children's choir cover Crystal Castles 'Untrust Us'. It's utterly brilliant.

The original.
    How brilliant is that? Love it!
  • TheBlackDog 29 Jul 2013 21:17:50 264 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Anyone know about the artists at Fabric this Saturday ? Is it still any good as a club ?

Fabric - Saturday

I've just realised I might be able to slip in a visit to Fabric this Saturday which, as I live in France, will be the best chance I'll get for a few years. I'm not that fussed about Fabric the name although I just thought it should be something I do at least once.

Any other clubs I should be looking at - techno, electronica, electro, psy-trance.
  • binster 30 Jul 2013 10:16:41 495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That Crystal Castles cover is indeed ace!

While we're on an 'acoustic covers of electronic music' tip, this Aphex Twin cover is ancient but still brilliant.

• Widge Moderator 31 Jul 2013 10:43:13 12,618 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheBlackDog wrote:
    Anyone know about the artists at Fabric this Saturday ? Is it still any good as a club ?

Fabric - Saturday

I've just realised I might be able to slip in a visit to Fabric this Saturday which, as I live in France, will be the best chance I'll get for a few years. I'm not that fussed about Fabric the name although I just thought it should be something I do at least once.

Any other clubs I should be looking at - techno, electronica, electro, psy-trance.
    Craig Richards is awesome, as is Terry Francis. You'd expect this from Fabric's musical directors!

I'd also be checking out Radio Slave and Slam.

mUmU is a Liverpool based night, local bunch... I wouldn't have my attentions dragged away from rooms 1 & 2 though.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• TheBlackDog 1 Aug 2013 23:29:35 264 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Widge Cheers - on the basis of your recommendation I've just booked my ticket.
  • PearOfAnguish 3 Aug 2013 17:13:54 6,992 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is really...different.

• BinaryBob101 4 Aug 2013 17:10:55 21,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moderat's II is streaming here, and it's good. Very good.

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/24/205158117/first-listen-moderat-ii

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• PearOfAnguish 5 Aug 2013 09:52:49 6,992 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it's a brilliant album.
  • Tom_Servo 5 Aug 2013 14:32:52 15,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blondes do a Resident Advisor podcast
  • BinaryBob101 6 Aug 2013 14:08:34 21,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Yeah, it's a brilliant album.
    Better than the last by a mile for me, it might be a bit of a classic actually, the tracklisting and flow of the album is sublime.

Let In The Light could seriously screw up some heads, then knock out the dancefloor later in the track, if there's a DJ out there brave enough to drop it.

Awesome stuff.

Lens Flare

• Widge Moderator 6 Aug 2013 15:31:19 12,618 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I need to get up to speed with John Hopkins asap.

_ _ _

• BinaryBob101 7 Aug 2013 15:24:51 21,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still got that on play too, great album.

In between all these awesome albums that we've had this year, I'm also caning this Boiler Room mix from Nicolas Jaar. What a talented young guy he is:

Lens Flare

• Widge Moderator 7 Aug 2013 20:54:11 12,618 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got JH on the phone. Kind of reminds me of a natural evolution of James Holden's hot patch (Sky Was Pink remix, Break In The Clouds etc). I'll have to check his older stuff too.

_ _ _

• Tom_Servo 8 Aug 2013 00:43:51 15,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just noticed that the Demdike Stare Testpressing series is now available on MP3, which is awesome.

Here's a track from one of them
  • Widge Moderator 8 Aug 2013 09:19:06 12,618 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On the new Petar Dundov album. I was rather excited for it... but found myself growing disinterested the more it went on.

It is typical Dundov, but to the extent where I now feel you can just pick any one of his albums to dip in to and leave it like that.

_ _ _

• binster 8 Aug 2013 10:53:06 495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm probably late to this guy, but I've only just heard of Savant - epic chiptune-y baroque madness.

http://shop.savantofficial.com/album/cult
  • BinaryBob101 14 Aug 2013 12:35:10 21,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anybody heard Daftside yet? Pretty, pretty good.

Lens Flare

• Mr-Brett 14 Aug 2013 20:47:46 12,681 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems like a good place to mention this, for those that don't look at the USgamer bit at the bottom. There's a cheap music bundle with the Fez soundtrack at http://www.gamemusicbundle.com/

Portable view - Never forget.

• Widge Moderator 15 Aug 2013 10:48:37 12,618 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Grimes on Boiler Room yesterday, hilarious. Was Richie Hawtin's Enter. pool party in Ibiza.

She had about 20 minutes on the decks before being booted off, and then sauntering off to go play on the grass waterslide things.

Tracklist included:

Taylor Swift
    Vengaboys
    Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas
    old Pitbull

Oh god, it was fantastic. Watching Twitter explode.

_ _ _

• BinaryBob101 15 Aug 2013 14:07:32 21,971 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I guess that set won't go online then?

Lens Flare

• Tom_Servo 15 Aug 2013 14:09:40 15,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That's brilliant. I saw people were unhappy she was on it (I'm not a fan anyway, so wasn't bothered), but I didn't realise what she was playing :D
  • Trafford 21 Aug 2013 08:56:33 5,277 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Loving the new Jon Hopkins album.
    Fuck Buttons new one has its moments also.
  • Tom_Servo 24 Aug 2013 23:06:32 15,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Big week or two for PAN coming up. New stuff from Black Sites (Helena Hauff and F#X), Helm and Concrete Fence (Regis and Russell Haswell). Probably all worth buying.

Speaking of recent PAN, I bought the Rashad Becker album earlier on. Here's a taste. As you'll realise after about ten seconds, it's pretty abstract stuff. Interested to hear how it works over an album.

Also got the Vessel album from last year (very strong, so I think I'll get that somewhere down the road.

Final little note: after loving Laurel Halo's Behind the Green Door I thought I'd go back and give Quarantine another go. Still not happening for me. Some good tracks, but some of the vocals are distractingly harsh and off-putting. I know that's the sort of the point, and I don't consider myself to have particularly delicate ears, but it really hits something in me where I find it actively unpleasant to listen to. Carcass is a good example actually, because I love the first couple of minutes before the vocals come in. I'd be interested to hear if there's someone who thought it was a great album.

P.S.: Factory Floor album out in a couple of weeks!!! Got to be someone else excited about that, right?
  • TheBlackDog 24 Aug 2013 23:46:49 264 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Speaking of recent PAN, I bought the Rashad Becker album earlier on. Here's a taste. As you'll realise after about ten seconds, it's pretty abstract stuff. Interested to hear how it works over an album.
    Angry wasps.
  • Widge Moderator 28 Aug 2013 14:13:25 12,618 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah yes, I was listening to Black Sites... it was agressively wibbly. Not so sure on Concrete Fence, a little too much on the side of industrial sandpapering for my liking.

I can already tell I will love the Special Request LP. Didn't warm to Hardcore EP bar broken dreams. Wonderfully, it is only Broken Dreams that makes it through to the full thing... with the rest coming across as a digi extra.

_ _ _

• boo 28 Aug 2013 17:23:12 11,604 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just been redirected to this thread by Monkman76...

I picked up The Q Sessions by Within Temptation recently. WT are a Dutch Symphonic Rock band, and to celebrate their 15th Anniversary, a radio station asked them to cover 15 current songs in a WT style.

Some of the stuff on there is corking - covers of David Guetta's 'Titanium' and Lana Del Rey's 'Summertime Sadness' in particular, but there's also a song called 'Don't you Worry Child' by some people called Swedish House Mafia.

Are they any good? I'll have a listen to some of their stuff when I get home, but just wondered what the jury thought?

Edit - I would point out that I'm a dance music n00b.

Edited by boo at 17:24:32 28-08-2013

Just Another Lego Blog

• Tom_Servo 28 Aug 2013 22:33:46 15,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Ah yes, I was listening to Black Sites... it was agressively wibbly. Not so sure on Concrete Fence, a little too much on the side of industrial sandpapering for my liking.
    I really liked the pre-release song from Black Sites. I haven't heard the Helena Hauff thing on Werkdiscs though, is it good?

You've made me want Concrete Fence even more with that description. :)

Not quite feeling the new Forest Swords album, but I've only heard it two or three times. Might take a while to sink in. Just sounds a bit dated now. Dagger Paths was three years ago...
  • Tom_Servo 28 Aug 2013 23:02:15 15,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    New Tim Hecker song up for download. Not quite sure if it belongs in here or not. Probably does. Meh. From the press release it sounds like it should be a bit more subdued than Ravedeath. Promising first track anyway. Brilliant cover too.

New Andy Stott song being given away as part of Adult Swim's yearly singles program. Champagne corks ensue.
  • Tom_Servo 2 Sep 2013 14:10:22 15,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Factory Floor album stream

Seems to be getting a fairly negative reaction so far. Been waiting for this album for years, pretty gutting. I'm on Fall Back at the moment. That song aside it seems to be lacking the crescendos and surprising complexity that made tracks like REALLOVE and Two Different Ways so thrilling. Oddly sparse.

edit: Quite liked it in the end. I was expecting something that would storm AOTY lists, and it isn't that, but it's good. Not totally sure why it took so long to make though.

Edited by Tom_Servo at 14:46:22 02-09-2013
  • Page

of 35 First / Last