*Official* XBLA thread Page 589

• Page

of 633 First / Last

• caligari 9 May 2013 21:38:14 17,075 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks ever so much to Dudewheresmybrain (for a 48 Hour Code) and Fuzzy_Duck (for a one month code).

Those, combined with the 14 day code found in my Tomb Raider case, finally forced my account into 'Gold'.

I purchased just enough points from a fellow EG-er - logged onto the 'Deal of the Week' page on the dashboard...only to find that the games (Scott Pilgrim and Pac-Man DX) were no longer reduced. I'm guessing that the deal had expired - even though they were still officially on the promotion page.

Oh well - perhaps a deal will pop up in the next month for BattleBlock Theatre. :D
  • Blerk Moderator 10 May 2013 08:45:51 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally managed to get into Crash Course 2 last night. Played a few rounds, seemed okay. Then... middle of a stage I'm thrown out back to the menu with no warning - "service is unavailable". Single player. Thrown out. Service is unavailable.

If MS announce the 720 as 'always on' in much the same way as this then fuck that shit.
  • CharlieStCloud 10 May 2013 08:50:01 5,280 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    If MS announce the 720 as 'always on' in much the same way as this then fuck that shit.
    It is going to happen.

Microsoft would have denied it by now, seeing as they always avoid the topic.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 May 2013 08:52:11 38,659 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't like the way you can buy power ups. It's no fun competing on a leader board where high scores can be bought.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Mr-Brett 10 May 2013 09:13:36 12,822 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    It is going to happen.

Microsoft would have denied it by now, seeing as they always avoid the topic.
    No they wouldn't because that'd be acknowledging that the nextbox exists, which up until the invites for the event this month they haven't. They're not going to start talking about individual aspects of it before that event either, so I'd say it's still up in the air.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• agparrot 10 May 2013 09:31:13 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doritos Game 2 seems like an odd place to try out this sort of free-to-play, always online thing. I suppose at least it avoids accusations of having to pay for the game up front and it not 'working'.

Wasn't the latest rumour that the 720 wouldn't have to be online for 'single player games'? I know it's just rumours, but surely the argument from Microsoft for Doritos 2 would be that it isn't an offline single player game because it is all about competing with your friends for spots on the online leaderboard?

MrTomFTW wrote:
    I don't like the way you can buy power ups. It's no fun competing on a leader board where high scores can be bought.
    I bet it would be more fun if you would only spend more and more and more money on it!

This post brought to you by Doritos.

Edited by agparrot at 09:33:44 10-05-2013
  • RedSparrows 10 May 2013 09:44:32 23,253 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doritos are mostly foul. Cool or nothing. How did such a terrible crisp get so far?
  • imamazed 10 May 2013 09:49:29 5,784 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chilli Heatwave. That is all.
  • convercide 10 May 2013 10:32:49 6,088 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RedSparrows Do you dip them in anything or eat them plain? I'm sure you have to get some decent salsa before they're edible.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• PearOfAnguish 10 May 2013 10:44:44 7,372 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks to an online offer I've got a load of points kicking about, but it's been a while since I've looked at XBLA. Any recommendations for interesting games which aren't also available on PC? Maybe some older stuff I might have missed?
  • RedSparrows 10 May 2013 11:00:27 23,253 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    @RedSparrows Do you dip them in anything or eat them plain? I'm sure you have to get some decent salsa before they're edible.
    They're so heavily flavoured that dips are ruined. Why have houmous or tzatziki with a fucking neon crisp? Urgh. Salsa is normally too sweet, and if I buy a nice one I'll buy some good tortilla crisps.

Edited by RedSparrows at 11:00:49 10-05-2013
  • imamazed 10 May 2013 11:02:56 5,784 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't be doing with mild salsa; what's the point? Needs to be HOT
  • barchetta 10 May 2013 12:06:19 1,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Monaco is (back) up now - certainly available on XBLA website - not tried from the dashboard.
  • neilqpr 10 May 2013 14:55:30 2,858 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Monaco is available from the dash, but only to buy. Doesn't seem to be a trial for it.

I'm hovering over the buy button but would prefer a quick bash of the trial.
  • RedSparrows 10 May 2013 15:15:44 23,253 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sajasanman wrote:
    Is Rayman 3 worth getting. It got a 5 here, but then so did Banjo Kazooie. Played that for the first time last year and it's one of the best platformers ever.
    BK's review was bad cos of the lack of any extras, I think. Just a straight port with some HD sheen or something.
  • agparrot 10 May 2013 15:29:24 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @neilqpr There was an update for the accidentally-released, but now unavailable Monaco demo when I played it again last night.

It seems like a great game. It seems like the perfect 800 point game, although the launch price is 1,200 points.

I can't get over the idea that Monaco won't be anywhere near as much fun unless you have a regular bunch of people to play through the campaign with, as just having one skill per player means it'll be great fun arranging the skills with others, but perhaps it will lack something if you're only playing with the ability to use one skill in the game.

The art style is lovely, the writing has been done with a knowingly-penned skill (think Skulls of the Shogun meets Reservoir Dogs) the controls seem great and the line-of-sight and timer-action mechanics are fun to play with.

It just feels like it'll only be properly fun in co-op.

Well worth playing the demo, but I think I'm going to wait for a sale.
  • barchetta 10 May 2013 15:42:34 1,354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Re: Monaco Demo. There is a demo link on the webpage - at least I used that and wasn't charged... I'll see when I get home!
  • glo 10 May 2013 16:09:57 3,428 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    @neilqpr There was an update for the accidentally-released, but now unavailable Monaco demo when I played it again last night.

It seems like a great game. It seems like the perfect 800 point game, although the launch price is 1,200 points.

Well worth playing the demo, but I think I'm going to wait for a sale.
    completely agree. enjoyed the demo but 1200 is too high for a game that is only going to fully shine in coop mode.

Though I will probably pay 800 points for it when and if other EGers are on board.

Anyone know if you can you play online coop on the demo version?

Edited by glo at 16:11:16 10-05-2013
  • Beetroot_Bertie 10 May 2013 17:19:45 294 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've just tried Crash Course 2 to be told it's only available to Gold users at this time. Brill! Can't they tell us silver plebs this before downloading? Oh well.
  • agparrot 10 May 2013 18:40:52 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @glo No online coop in the Monaco demo originally, Have not had a chance to check if the demo update made it possible.
  • TheBlackDog 10 May 2013 19:40:46 408 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @caligari Weird - Scott Pilgrim and Pacman DX are still showing as being available to buy at the reduced price for me (didn't actually buy them though but were showing the lower price when checking out).
  • caligari 10 May 2013 20:33:31 17,075 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @TheBlackDog - really?

Hmm, perhaps the 'one month of gold' thing no longer gives you access to the Deal of the Week offers.

Thanks for checking it out for me, though.
  • convercide 11 May 2013 15:52:18 6,088 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @caligari It's just a cock up. The deal of the week is actually the Serious Sam games. Check those. If SS3 is 400 points then it's working for you. MS just forgot to update the deals section.

I have full Gold and those 'deals' (Tony Hawks' etc.) are full price even though in the Sales & Specials section.

Edited by convercide at 15:54:38 11-05-2013

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• PearOfAnguish 13 May 2013 10:13:05 7,372 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I realise I'm years late on this but...Shadow Complex is fucking brilliant. Are there any other games like this on XBLA?
  • Blerk Moderator 13 May 2013 10:19:49 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    I realise I'm years late on this but...Shadow Complex is fucking brilliant. Are there any other games like this on XBLA?
    Sadly not, not even a Shadow Complex 2. :(

The best Metroidvania game outside of the Symphony of the Night port is probably Dust: An Elysian Tail.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2013 10:27:15
    It's a travesty there hasn't been a Shadow Complex 2 (yet). I'll continue to hold out hope for it one day though.
  • andytheadequate 13 May 2013 10:42:45 8,265 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    There's a couple of clones but they're terrible. If you haven't played it, mark of the ninja is quite similar to it and is also pretty brilliant
  • kinky_mong 13 May 2013 10:48:57 10,432 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Outland is another very good Metroidvania game on XBLA.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• PearOfAnguish 13 May 2013 11:56:10 7,372 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mark of the Ninja I have played and loved. It doesn't quite have the same Metroidvania thing going on, Shadow Complex has some sublime level design.
  • Page

of 633 First / Last