*Official* XBLA thread Page 572

• Page

of 633 First / Last

• evild_edd 7 Mar 2013 14:28:34 3,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Without an update, I can't help but wonder if FuzzyDuck is still playing Trials...."Just. One. More. Go!!!" ;0)

Was just about to say that NiGHTS is on half price but realise that Muttler, like a diligent and thoughtful soul, has got there first - top work! Shall be downloaded this evening!

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• FuzzyDuck 7 Mar 2013 18:29:28 4,449 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Without an update, I can't help but wonder if FuzzyDuck is still playing Trials...."Just. One. More. Go!!!" ;0)
    :D Nah, I was a good lad and went to bed. At about 06:30!

Seeing as it's piddling rain outside and there's not a whole lot to do, i may just turn on the Xbox for a while ;)
  • Short-Round 7 Mar 2013 19:00:19 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also grab Quarrel and Ilomilo.
  • caligari 8 Mar 2013 21:17:12 17,085 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, any good two-player (sitting in the same room - just like in the Hovis ad) on Live?

We've burnt through Castle Crashers, Streets of Rage 2 and Guardian of Light.

12-rating and under, if possible!

Edited by caligari at 21:17:30 08-03-2013
  • RedSparrows 8 Mar 2013 21:41:39 23,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ilomilo.
  • theguy 8 Mar 2013 21:54:59 655 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    'Splosion Man and Ms 'Splosion man
    Doritos Crash Course
    Scott Pilgrim

Edited by theguy at 21:55:37 08-03-2013
  • Kid_Icarus 8 Mar 2013 22:06:14 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Perfect Dark, Super Street Fighter 2THDR and Worms Armageddon are my usual multiplayer XBLA games. Alongside Castle Crashers obviously.
  • caligari 8 Mar 2013 23:34:47 17,085 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks guys!

Ilomilo looks great - I don't remember that one even being released.

I was tempted by Scott Pilgrim, but I'd read that the difficulty ramps up fairly quickly after the first level (on the free trial).

I've got Worms (ahem) and SF2 (just picked up SF4 via the GoD sale, too).

I was hoping that I could spend the points before one of the little 'lovelies' buys something without realising.

Edited by caligari at 23:35:20 08-03-2013
  • Mr-Brett 8 Mar 2013 23:43:49 12,836 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Treasure Treasure: Fortress Forage is a decent two player indie game.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Restart 10 Mar 2013 01:29:47 4,817 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought Sonic The Fighters yesterday, thinking it was Fighters Megamix for some reason. I decided to give it a bash with my brother today, and we decided it was probably one of the worst games ever made. It has dreadful graphics, and horrible game play, but my God it's damn funny, and I had a blast playing it. Definitely worth a quid for some quality drunken entertainment!
  • Ashwood 11 Mar 2013 22:43:44 408 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Hmm, any good two-player (sitting in the same room - just like in the Hovis ad) on Live?

We've burnt through Castle Crashers, Streets of Rage 2 and Guardian of Light.

12-rating and under, if possible!
    Think it's been reduced to 800msp and will probably go on sale again at some point - Fancy Pants Adventures. The best 2d platformer on xbla (imho of course). Up to 4 player live local co-op.
  • kinky_mong 12 Mar 2013 14:36:03 10,523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Current and next DotW...

Deal of the Week

Grand Theft Auto IV - 12-Mar to 18-Mar

GTA IV GonD - Varies by region
    GTA IV Lost and Damned - 400 MSP (50% off)
    GTA IV Ballad of Gay Tony - 800 MSP (50% off)

Ubisoft - 19-Mar to 25-Mar

Assassinís Creed: Revelations The Lost Archive - 400 MSP (50% off)
    Assassinís Creed: Revelations Mediterranean Traveler Map Pack - 400 MSP (50% off)
    Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood Da Vinci Disappearance - 400 MSP (50% off)
    Assassinís Creed II Bonfire of the Vanities & Secret Locations - 280 MSP (50% off)
    Bonfire of the Vanities & Secret Locations Battle of Forli - 160 MSP (50% off)
    Beyond Good & Evil - 400 MSP (50% off)
    Rayman 3 HD - 400 MSP (50% off)
    Might and Magic Clash of Heroes - 600 MSP (50% off)
    Outland - 400 MSP (50% off)
    Prince of Persia Epilogue - 400 MSP (50% off)
    Splinter Cell: Conviction Ė Deniable Ops: Insurgency - 400 MSP (50% off)
    Mad Riders - 400 MSP (50% off)
    They don't give a fuck any more do they? Wouldn't be surprised if it was Bioshock DLC again the week after these.

Edited by kinky_mong at 14:38:21 12-03-2013

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• evild_edd 12 Mar 2013 14:41:39 3,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kinky_mong

Can't be good every week. Last week we had NiGHTS. We've also just had a pretty decent GoD sale.

I'd recommend BG&E to any who haven't got around to it yet. Short of that, there's nothing there for me. GTA4 was shit (most overrated game in history?); you couldn't force me to play the DLC, let alone pay for it...

Why look, it's a blog:

• Blerk Moderator 12 Mar 2013 14:46:00 48,225 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's a nice SquareEnix sale on this week too, some very decent reductions on GoD stuff.

But I'd agree that XBLA's a pale shadow of what it was, and not just on the deals front. I can't remember the last time I actually got excited about the weekly release - everything being shat out at the minute is just so... uninspiring.
  • evild_edd 12 Mar 2013 15:05:28 3,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been said before, but 2012 was a very strong year (Trials Evo, Minecraft, Spelunky, Fez, The Walking Dead), but I still get what you mean Blerk. Once upon a time I was genuinely excited for each week's release, now I'm surprised if I'm even tempted to try the demo. It probably doesn't help that last year's best titles were mostly early-2012 releases (TWD aside)

I guess xbla has suffered the same as all the digital distribution channels: successful releases are often cloned or 'sequelised' to the point of indifference.

Thankfully it still bangs out half a dozen gems a year pretty much every year. For me, XBLA shall remain the defining memory of this gen.

Why look, it's a blog:

• kinky_mong 12 Mar 2013 15:07:35 10,523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @evild_edd One good week would be nice! I haven't bought anything in the sale since Christmas.

I would have bought Skyrim DLC in the DotW a few weeks ago but they cruelly pulled the one people actually wanted at the 11th hour.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• FuzzyDuck 12 Mar 2013 15:07:45 4,449 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've had my first decent root through XBLA, and as a new Xbox owner I'm sorely tempted to spend a lot of money on there. There's some absolute gems that are nowhere to be seen on the PSN.

Having said that, my next purchase from there will be the Trials Evolution DLC packs, such is its status in my household as the gaming equivalent of krokodil.
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Mar 2013 15:09:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Microsoft are feeling the pinch of pissing off a whole bunch of top-notch indie developers to be honest, edd. In a world where Steam is king and Sony are actively saying 'hey, we'll make this painless for you' there's no room for a company being pissy about getting your game up on their service.
  • dancingrob 12 Mar 2013 15:20:42 1,186 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Have retail games / PSN actually been any better of late though?

It just seems the usual post Christmas drought has been magnified even more than usual this year due to the impending arrival of new shiny hardware...
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Mar 2013 15:23:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sony seem to be picking up all the big indies of late. Jon Blow at the PS4 conference, Hotline Miami, Thomas Was Alone, etc. etc. Previously that level of indie would've been announced for XBLA.
  • FuzzyDuck 12 Mar 2013 15:23:25 4,449 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Indeed. And from what I can tell from my limited time with the service, unless it's the current flavour of the month, you really have to take it on yourself to go digging for stuff.

Even the promos appear poorly advertised, but it was painfully obvious on the dash last night that I could watch the newest Lynx advert in all its glory.
  • evild_edd 12 Mar 2013 15:51:58 3,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Blerk

edit: this was in reply to your 15:09:36 post, BTW. (made a few other text tweaks as well)

Quite possibly. That won't affect my view/memory of XBLA and this gen (possibly my last as a gamer), but it should be a major concern for MS.

We're going a little off-topic here, but why not:

MS are gambling that they can win the battle for the living room and, given the amount of cash that they'll no doubt invest, perhaps anything less would be a failure.

I don't think this is a gradual move by MS, but rather the realisation of their original vision for what the xbox brand could become: the centre of the living room. They've admitted this since day 1, but the difference between the Next Xbox and the 360 is that MS were still struggling to gain a foothold when they launched the 360, whereas they now feel that they have a viable 'brand' given the 360s success, particularly in the US where it's now the dominant console and clear 'winner' of this gen. I think MS believe that they no longer need court the hardcore to have a successful console.

However, gazing into my crystal ball, I remain unconvinced that people need a new console for their 'entertainment hub', or that MS have the brand attraction/loyalty of the likes of Apple. I can see MS being left in the cold as their strategy will alienate the hardcore but struggle to win the casual market. I think they're overestimating the brand power of the Xbox, and underestimating the significance of getting core adopters on early. Their apparent indifference to the indi devs is symptomatic of this.

For that reason, I think Sony have played the PS4 well. They can see that indi games and downloads are going to be a significant side of the next gen landscape and are courting deals with devs whilst also making it easier to make and release content on their system. If Sony can get the games for launch, I can really see them winning back the core gamer support (which was split right down the middle in this last gen).

Will securing the core gamer support be enough for Sony? I'm not sure. Maybe not in the long run if they can't spread its appeal wider, but at least they'd have a solid base on which to grow. I think Sony are playing their cards as best they can.

My ball gazing (ooh-err) shall remain hazily uncertain until we've had MS's confirmation on their Next Xbox launch plans, of course. Perhaps MS will surprise us all and show a change of tact (I doubt it). Release dates/windows will play a part as well. If MS can get the Next Xbox out pre-xmas in Europe and the US then they may get a decent head start. Sony may come to rue gifting MS a head-start in Europe, especially if that's an open goal of an uncontested xmas sales period.

Then there's the big unknown of Steam. As much (hard earned and well deserved) goodwill as Valve have, appealing to the uneducated masses is an entirely different proposition to connecting with hardcore PC gamers. Really need some more details on this.

As always, time will tell. But I don't think Microsft's strategy is going to win them many fans or help shift consoles to early adopters.

Edited by evild_edd at 15:56:16 12-03-2013

Why look, it's a blog:

• dancingrob 12 Mar 2013 15:57:54 1,186 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    all sounds good-ish. However, the big thing I feel you've missed is MS wouldn't be competing with Sony with 'consoles' anymore.

They're competing with Apple / some sort of Google / Samsung / Android smart app TV thing as a method of delivering 'content' to your TV. Games would merely be part of that content rather than the main thing, and that's the war they'd be aiming to win with that strategy, rather than still fighting the noughties battle for console dominance.

They'd be taking the position that 'hardcore' gamers simply aren't important any more from an early adopter / tech / money pile perspective and may well be right.
  • evild_edd 12 Mar 2013 16:20:11 3,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dancingrob

Yeah, that's pretty much what my rambling post was trying to say. They still obviously see the need for a box under the telly, though, otherwise they wouldn't be bothering with the Next Xbox at all (which they clearly are).

MS's differentiating factor in the 'next gen' is going to be the machine's greater integration with everything - Windows OS via PCs, phones, tablets, the lot - and they're not really bothered about how the harcore gamer fits in with that as they're pitching to everyone and their mum. The thing I don't get is why we need that box under the telly in the first place -what will it be able to offer that the 360 can't already, or that a networked computer/sky box/smart TV already provide...?

Pitching to the mass market is high risk for high reward. The Wii managed it was an original idea, the PS2 and (to a lesser extent) 360 achieved it with winning the minority market first, whilst Apple did it three times (iPod, iPhone, iPad) by practically inventing a new market/sub-market. Unless MS have something up their sleeves, I can't see them doing any of these; they're just offering more of what we already have, repackaged.

Meanwhile Sony have retaken their old PS One position of powerful system, dev friendly, and courting devs to get them onside.

It may well be that MS do have massive success with the Next Xbox, and if they do then their strategy of leaving the hardcore and indi communities behind will be justified (in their minds and bank balances), but they're not leaving themselves with a plan B. From what I've seen, I think Sony have the core gamer onside for this gen. Core gamers may be few in number, but they buy a shit load of games. MS will feel their loss if they fail to get the critical mass of sales required to make the casual market a success...

Why look, it's a blog:

• 8bitMofo 12 Mar 2013 17:02:45 443 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs is 400MSP on the Hungarian Marketplace.
  • dancingrob 12 Mar 2013 17:21:53 1,186 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @evild_edd

The thing I don't get is why we need that box under the telly in the first place -what will it be able to offer that the 360 can't already, or that a networked computer/sky box/smart TV already provide...?
    Your key example there is the smart TV.

Effectively, the nextBox could be a smart TV for the £200-£300ish price of a console, rather than the £900-£2000ish price of a TV. (think PS2/DVD)

(of your other examples, the networked computer is too much hassle for me, let alone your mass market consumer. The Skybox currently only really does TV, the other stuff rudimentary at best)
  • JonFE 12 Mar 2013 17:33:55 1,452 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @evild_edd

Your comments make a lot of sense to me. And, if there's one thing I would like to add is that, IMHO, Sony turned the tables around with the PS3 when they changed their tune from "It can do everything" and showed us the games.

To be honest, I really do not care about services etc. (not to mention that a lot of them are not available in my part of the world). All I care about are the games. So far I tend to play all multi-format games on the x360 and the occasional exclusive on the PS3, but if MS fail to convince me otherwise this could well change next-gen.
  • caligari 12 Mar 2013 21:51:34 17,085 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry to keep spamming this thread, but I still can't decide what to spend my final 1200 points on (the rest went on Fez - finally - and Cthulu Saves The World...even though I already have it on Steam).

So...Trine 2. Am I right in thinking that this is a two player game in the same vein as Guardian of Light?

How well does Shadow Complex hold up, too?
  • Gambit1977 12 Mar 2013 22:02:43 10,308 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shadow Complex is my personal favourite on the xbla. I can't recommend that enough.
  • andytheadequate 12 Mar 2013 22:04:54 8,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shadow Complex is still amazing. Trine 2 doesn't deserve to be said in the same sentence as GoL. It's average at best
  • Page

of 633 First / Last