*Official* XBLA thread Page 569

• Page

of 630 First / Last

• RedSparrows 15 Feb 2013 10:01:41 22,079 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's normally a couple of unexpected delights. Has been every year the 360 has been out.
  • evild_edd 15 Feb 2013 10:03:07 3,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thankless task for XBLA devs releasing in 2013. Last year's selection was a stellar year: Spelunky, Fez, Trails: Evo, Minecraft, Mark Of The Ninja, The Walking Dead... Just a crazily good year. Despite a bizarrely lackluster SoA, I think there's a good shout for 2012 being regarded as XBLAs strongest year for releases.

Will be interesting to see what titles are announced at and around E3 (when we usually get a good picture of the XBLA releases for the year). The unknown factor is with the NextBox, and how much attention this will be drawing from developers. I'm sure there'll be an XBLA equivalent on the new console, but whether this will be able to play all the existing titles or be a clean slate remains to be seen. If it's the latter, then some devs may be keen to stake their claim early on the new marketplace to garner some attention.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• RedSparrows 15 Feb 2013 10:46:09 22,079 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's pretty safe to say that if my 360 games can't be played on the next console they can bugger off.
  • Lexx87 15 Feb 2013 11:05:44 20,869 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh yep, no xbla transfer would be awful.

Speak the truth hussy!

• evild_edd 15 Feb 2013 11:53:35 3,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Complete guess work here, but I think there may be a better chance of XBLA games being transferable even if full boxed releases aren't. You'd imagine it was technically achievable, so I assume it will depend on whether MS want to actively prohibit the use of old titles on the new console and have a dividing line between the consoles. Whilst I can understand (though not like) them doing this with boxed releases where cheap second hand titles will be floating around stores for years, the digital distribution of XBLA titles makes this a non-issue - anyone buying a NextBox who doesn't have a 360 would need to get all XBLA titles through the marketplace, so it'd mean more potential revenue for MS and the devs. Money for old rope, so to speak.

The other option - one which will be unpalatable to loyal XBLA gamers - is that they try what Ninty have done with their download games, by levying a small fee to 'upgrade' the titles from one console to another. I really wouldn't put it past them.

I guess we'll know more come E3...

Why look, it's a blog:

• Deleted user 18 February 2013 09:17:27
    I got Spelunky this weekend in the scratch and match deal Ė 480 points. Reminds me of a cross between Pitfall and Super Mario World on the SNES.

Itís a good game...but hard. Every time I die I think ďI could have avoided thatĒ. But somehow I didnít.

Very addictive game but if I donít make some progress I can see it becoming frustrating.
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Feb 2013 09:21:35 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spelunky's really great!

I played rather a lot of "Dust: An Elysian Tail" this weekend and I'm liking that a lot too. Most of the talk around release was the whole 'furries' and 'irritating voicework' things, but I suspect all that did the game itself a disservice. It's lovely!
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 09:24:11
    RedSparrows wrote:
    It's pretty safe to say that if my 360 games can't be played on the next console they can bugger off.
    This,

I have bought close to a hundred titles. I have bought stuff I haven't even got round to playing assuming transferring would be a given.

It's going to make me think twice about purchasing anything next gen.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 09:25:47
    evild_edd wrote:
    Complete guess work here, but I think there may be a better chance of XBLA games being transferable even if full boxed releases aren't. You'd imagine it was technically achievable, so I assume it will depend on whether MS want to actively prohibit the use of old titles on the new console and have a dividing line between the consoles. Whilst I can understand (though not like) them doing this with boxed releases where cheap second hand titles will be floating around stores for years, the digital distribution of XBLA titles makes this a non-issue - anyone buying a NextBox who doesn't have a 360 would need to get all XBLA titles through the marketplace, so it'd mean more potential revenue for MS and the devs. Money for old rope, so to speak.

The other option - one which will be unpalatable to loyal XBLA gamers - is that they try what Ninty have done with their download games, by levying a small fee to 'upgrade' the titles from one console to another. I really wouldn't put it past them.

I guess we'll know more come E3...
    You can still transfer Wii games over at no cost.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 09:41:39
    I would be willing to pay a transfer fee rather than lose all my XBLA titles but obviously free would be better!

To be honest I had just assumed that I wouldnt be able to play them on the next Xbox. If I can thats great. Plenty of games I havent finished yet. Or even started.....
  • RedSparrows 18 Feb 2013 09:51:43 22,079 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It'd make sense in terms of goodwill to carry them over.

Not in terms of sales. 'Super HD Spelunky! Only 1200MSP!'
  • Mr-Brett 18 Feb 2013 10:15:15 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If the architecture changed enough that they couldn't run XBLA titles natively, (which probably depends on the video card since that's what screwed up backward compatibility for Xbox1 titles) then the new Xbox is so much more powerful that I expect it could easily emulate them, whether MS can be bothered to write some decent emulation code or not I have no idea.

Whatever the situation, having XBLA titles available on launch would be better than having a marketplace with no games and just entertainment stuff.

Portable view - Never forget.

• andytheadequate 18 Feb 2013 10:36:10 8,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Speaking on next gen, how did Xbox Live work on the original Xbox after the 360 came out? Did you still have to pay £40 a year? Or was it scrapped completely? My gold runs out in September and I doubt I will bother to renew it at full price to play an out of date console (assuming the new consoles are released around then)...

Also, are 4od and iplayer gold exclusive?
  • Mr-Brett 18 Feb 2013 10:38:55 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Live carried over I believe, you just recovered your tag or something on the 360 and away you went, I think. I'd stopped using Xbox live for a while before I got a 360 so just started over.

Edited by Mr-Brett at 10:39:09 18-02-2013

Portable view - Never forget.

• imamazed 18 Feb 2013 10:43:58 5,524 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Speaking on next gen, how did Xbox Live work on the original Xbox after the 360 came out? Did you still have to pay £40 a year? Or was it scrapped completely? My gold runs out in September and I doubt I will bother to renew it at full price to play an out of date console (assuming the new consoles are released around then)...

Also, are 4od and iplayer gold exclusive?
    4od yes, iplayer no
  • agparrot 18 Feb 2013 13:38:09 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Live carried over I believe, you just recovered your tag or something on the 360 and away you went, I think. I'd stopped using Xbox live for a while before I got a 360 so just started over.
    Yeah, Live in many ways is now already a service, rather than something that just features because you have a 360. All the infrastructure for licenses, score/chievos and all that stuff is all managed away from your console in many ways, and this is why there is that 'transfer content' thing where you tell your account your primary console serial number.

So I'd imagine that come the next gen, your profile will continue to allow you to play all the things you have paid for on the 360, and will also expand to licensing for the nextbox XBLA stuff and access to whatever entertainment services you are entitled to.

It's impossible to tell whether current XBLA stuff will transfer over until they tell us, but the Live thing is in many ways just a profile that also exists on your 360. For me, if you can't play current XBLA stuff on the nextbox, this means I can't trade my 360 against one, so my eventual purchase date gets pushed back while I save up. Also while I cane my backlog.
  • Bremenacht 18 Feb 2013 14:17:20 17,614 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    It'd make sense in terms of goodwill to carry them over.
    They'd be mad not to do so. If you've got a nice library of XBLA titles you're a lot more likely to move to a 720 knowing you can abandon the 360 and preserve everything. If you're forced to pay for a transfer, you might just choose to retain your 360 anyway, which then gives you the option seeing what the PS4 has to offer.

If anything, they ought to offer a nice 'welcome' XBLA title to encourage people to simply migrate from 360 to 720.
  • TOOTR 18 Feb 2013 17:12:12 9,498 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    This.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• kinky_mong 19 Feb 2013 12:53:28 9,985 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So the Elder Scrolls DotW that starts today now doesn't include any Skyrim DLC. Pointless.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• AwesomeWells 19 Feb 2013 13:10:53 406 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    So the Elder Scrolls DotW that starts today now doesn't include any Skyrim DLC. Pointless.
    This.
  • TVoJ 19 Feb 2013 14:25:16 1,747 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    What? But Major Nelson promised! I will have his head for this!
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Feb 2013 14:33:08 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno what happened to the Skyrim DLC, but this week's Scratch n' Match loser deals are:

Lucidity - 400 (was 800)
    Trine 2 - 600 (was 1200)
  • glo 19 Feb 2013 16:31:11 3,422 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Dunno what happened to the Skyrim DLC...
    According to Major Nelson's blog, the discounts for skyrim DLC were a mistake which were then corrected a few days ago.

However, it does make this week's DOTW look rather crappy imho. Good job I didn't waste any actual money getting some points for the dragonborn dlc and decided to wait until the offer was live. Thought it sounded too good to be true since it only came out in december.
  • dancingrob 19 Feb 2013 16:51:59 1,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone have any thoughts on Lucidity?

One I vaguely remembering fancying at some point, as a Braid / Limbo / Winterbottom style platform puzzler...
  • Gambit1977 19 Feb 2013 16:55:37 9,583 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right.
    Should I buy...
    Darklight, OR Spelunky. Bearing in mind I've no time for frustrating joypad breaking screaming banshee moments this week.
  • robthehermit 19 Feb 2013 17:11:53 3,990 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not Spelunky then.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• robthehermit 19 Feb 2013 17:12:58 3,990 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Especially as it was only 480 points over the weekend.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• evild_edd 19 Feb 2013 17:16:32 3,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Right.
    Should I buy...
    Darklight, OR Spelunky. Bearing in mind I've no time for frustrating joypad breaking screaming banshee moments this week.
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Spelunky is one of (if not THE) game of this generation. It can be frustrating at times, but every death is from your own impatience/greed/ineptitude. I actually find it far less frustrating than games which punish you through design errors / cheating AI.

Haven't played Darklight, but didn't it rate poorly?

Why look, it's a blog:

• Gambit1977 19 Feb 2013 20:25:31 9,583 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmm, well, I enjoyed the Darklight demo, despite zombiezzzz. I have to admit I forgot to download the spelunky demo, just looks ace. I have a real hankering for old school platforming.
  • richardiox 19 Feb 2013 20:35:33 5,548 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    I have a real hankering for old school platforming.
    Spelunky it is then. Or, as a swerve, checkout out AppleJack 2 on XBLIG. It's only 80MS points and up there with Rayman as one of the 360's best 2D platformers. Less frustrating than Spelunky too.

Edited by richardiox at 20:35:49 19-02-2013
  • Page

of 630 First / Last