*Official* XBLA thread Page 563

• Page

of 631 First / Last

• agparrot 8 Jan 2013 13:46:37 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    So if it's a Bioshock 2 sale this week that means Lara Croft: GoL will be on sale next week.
    Ah, good. Another opportunity to beg people who haven't done so already to pick up Bioshock 2 and play the Minerva's Den DLC.

Seriously, it's like Bioshock 1 with not-shit combat and one of the best endings of the generation. In fact the plot in general is up there with the best. Brilliantly emotional.

Best DLC released so far by light years, and yet never gets recognised as such. It should be a criminal offence worth 45 years in a Turkish prison.
    Hehe. With the amount of stuff I picked up in the december sales, I don't really mind another chance to get everyone to play Minerva's Den, even though surely by now everybody has bought and played it? Is there anyone who is prepared to admit they haven't played it yet?

As Somatic says, it's really good. It's better than some actual games, and the story and the journey of it are better formed than that of Bioshock 2 itself. It does a slightly better job of involving you in the world and carrying you to a satisfactory plot conclusion than Dishonored, for example. I should make it clear I am not being negative about Dishonored here, which I thought was great, but the tale of Minerva's Den is just slightly more cohesive and satisfying, although of course this is always simpler to do, maybe, with something more linear.

I've barely started Fez, have yet to engage in my New Game Plus of Mark of the Ninja, haven't scratched the surface of Bully: SE, am lost in Minecraft again with the new update, and am an episode and three-quarters from the end of The Walking Dead, so it seems a bit churlish to moan about repeat sales, even though I know I ought, morally to do so!
  • barbour99 8 Jan 2013 14:31:07 945 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been tempted by Minerva's Den whenever it's been on sale but reckon I'll wait for the BioShock Complete Edition and get it there - that should give me chance to play some of the XBLA Christmas deals first.
  • TOOTR 8 Jan 2013 14:48:47 9,529 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't finished Bioshock2.

/confesses

And I don't know/remember if I have Minervas Den or not.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• agparrot 8 Jan 2013 14:56:23 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You don't have to finish Bioshock 2 to play Minerva's Den, although it probably does put it all in a bit more context really. They are separate things, but intertwined by the world.

Actually, you should probably play to the end of '2 before playing Minerva's Den. I was just trying to get somebody else to play Minerva's Den, really.

I've not be on EG much but coming back yesterday I did see there've been a fair number of discussions about story in games - whether just about it being a lowbrow medium or whether Spec Ops is or isn't brilliant, but all of these discussions always remind me of Minerva's Den. Sure, games have a long way to go, and they are essentially constructed in a different way to just written stories, but MD is one of those bits of gaming that sort of straddles the story/game divide successfully. That isn't to laud it as some kind of literary masterpiece or something that redefines your expectations of story in game, but it's really well done, and really neatly wrapped up.

It creates evangelists, if nothing else!
  • TOOTR 8 Jan 2013 14:59:58 9,529 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok parrot - i'm in.

Will finish BS2 and Minerva's Den next :)

Ready for Bioshock Infinite!

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• neilqpr 8 Jan 2013 15:26:41 2,845 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've never picked up Minervas Den as I had no idea where my copy of Bioshock 2 went to. Found out just before Xmas that I lent it to a mate years ago and he still has it, so I reckon I'll buy the DLC and get my game back.
  • Blerk Moderator 8 Jan 2013 15:30:30 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Full list of new discounts, pinched from the internets:

Sales App:
    Pool Nation - 400MSP
    Scarygirl - 400MSP
    Swarm - 160MSP

---------------------------------------------

Deal Of The Week & more:

Leedmees 400MSP
    Axel & Pixel - 200MSP
    Misadventures of PB Winterbottom - 200MSP
    Borderlands 2 Mechromancer Pack - 400MSP
    Borderlands, Bioshock, Bioshock 2 - £8.99 each
    Mafia 2, Duke Nukem Forever £19.99 each (price not changed yet?)
    All Borderlands DLC's: 400MSP each
    All Bioshock 2 DLC: half price
    Mafia 2 DLC's: half price.
    Civ Rev: £11.99
    NBA 2K12 Legends Showcase DLC - 400MSP
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier™ Arctic Strike DLC Pack 400MSP
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier™ Raven Strike DLC Pack 600MSP
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier™ Khyber Strike DLC Pack 400MSP
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier™ £24.99
  • Vortex808 8 Jan 2013 15:42:12 7,077 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't have Bioshock 2 now, but would have definitely played minerva's den if I'd known they'd release some good DLC for it!

For some reason I thought they were doing some multiplayer DLC first and got rid of it assuming there'd be not much of worth keeping it for. The multiplayer was ok(ish), but I wasn't going to keep it for that.

If I wasn't trying to cut down my pile of unopened games before bioshock infinite is released I'd re-buy Bioshock 2 and play it in readiness.
  • robthehermit 8 Jan 2013 15:55:28 4,038 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is Swarm worth a punt at 160 points?

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• -cerberus- 8 Jan 2013 15:56:06 2,721 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Minerva's Den should be released as a standalone game. It's that good.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• evild_edd 8 Jan 2013 16:02:40 3,080 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lots of love for Minerva's Den on here (and EG generally). Only snag is I never got round to buying Bioshock 2. Many people, even the Bioshock fans, seemed so underwhelmed by Bioshock 2 at the time that I never got round to it. However, I've heard it often claimed that MD DLC was better than the full game...

Any of the MD Evangelists care enough to lend me their copy of Bioshock 2? ;0)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• agparrot 8 Jan 2013 16:13:14 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Possibly, but some of us still play the multiplayer every now and again, and it's infrequent enough that not having my copy around when it happens could be crushing. Plus, you can surely buy it somewhere for not much more than the combined cost of two-way postage!
  • theguy 8 Jan 2013 16:20:04 653 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just thought I'd mention that a Doritos crash course add on has been released that adds 10 New levels. It cost 160msp but the trial is free
  • evild_edd 8 Jan 2013 16:21:04 3,080 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @agparrot

Sorry, I was only teasing (hence the smilie).

You're right though: sure I can get a second hand copy for about a fiver online. The only problem is that I already have a hideously oversized backlog (mostly down to the XBLA xmas sale). Don't really need to get it, in truth.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• agparrot 8 Jan 2013 16:26:04 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @evild_edd

Hehe, no worries - I'm almost tempted to post you my copy, teasing or not! It'd be a terrible shame not to have had a chance to play Minerva's Den before the next generation rolls around!
  • robthehermit 8 Jan 2013 16:32:00 4,038 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Although according to Mr. B a few posts up, you can buy it from the marketplace for £9. Almost sounds like a bargain.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• SomaticSense 8 Jan 2013 17:09:23 8,165 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gah! Been waiting for Xcom to be put up on GoD as I thought it would make for a great d/l game. But £49.99!?

Fuck me MS! I thought it was a budget release at launch?
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 17:10:04
    What's the play time in Minerva's Den? Finished BS2 and never got round to getting it, could be tempted if it's not too long. (also have big backlog!)
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Jan 2013 17:16:03 14,595 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Lots of love for Minerva's Den on here (and EG generally). Only snag is I never got round to buying Bioshock 2. Many people, even the Bioshock fans, seemed so underwhelmed by Bioshock 2 at the time that I never got round to it. However, I've heard it often claimed that MD DLC was better than the full game...

I'm a big Bioshock fan, and the second is defo worth playing. I love it and MD is also awesome...as everyone keeps saying.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• SomaticSense 8 Jan 2013 17:18:39 8,165 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    What's the play time in Minerva's Den? Finished BS2 and never got round to getting it, could be tempted if it's not too long. (also have big backlog!)
    I can't remember specifics, but I remember it lasting much, much longer than any 800 point DLC add-on had any right to.

5-6 hours maybe if you don't rush through it. Although it has been a long time and many games since I played it, so don't quote me on that.

Edited by SomaticSense at 17:21:05 08-01-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Jan 2013 19:40:56 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    There is one quite serious 'what the fuck?!' moment in that final episode that almost derails the whole thing it's so far out of the leftfield.

But I've never had such a profound reaction to the events of a game like I had with the final 20 minutes or so. Superb!
    You are politely pardoned ...

... holy shit indeed!

I shall spoiler this next part and for those who have yet to play 'The Walking Dead', please ... DO NOT LOOK!

Mr. Blerk, was the 'so far out of the left field' moment you referred to is when you meet the Stranger whose daughters head is in his (charming) bowling bag?

I totally loved it all, except the fairly poor FPS aiming bits, but ... you know, it's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Oh, I was playing 'Mark of the Ninja' over Christmas when you were probably playing 'The Walking Dead'!

Hope you like it as much as I did.

: )
  • Dave_McCoy 8 Jan 2013 19:47:18 2,774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Weirdly enough, my girlfriend just bought me BioShock 2 so I'm actually well up for Minerva's Den. Agparrot bangs on about it all the time so I shall get it ;p
  • millerlfc 8 Jan 2013 21:24:46 370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm one of those people that hasn't played Bioshock 2 (only did the first one about 6 months ago).
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Jan 2013 23:09:25 14,595 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    millerlfc wrote:
    I'm one of those people that hasn't played Bioshock 2 (only did the first one about 6 months ago).
    D'oh

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• SFD 8 Jan 2013 23:30:34 491 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bah, thanks a lot guys. Just managed to clear about 10% of my ridiculous backlog and you basically force me to buy Bioshock 2. Only £3.99 on eBay.

I'll get the DLC tomorrow. There just the one, or?
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 23:41:09
    SomaticSense wrote:
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    I can't remember specifics, but I remember it lasting much, much longer than any 800 point DLC add-on had any right to.

5-6 hours maybe if you don't rush through it. Although it has been a long time and many games since I played it, so don't quote me on that.
    Sounds perfect... Just bought it. Back to rapture for me once I get off this (dead) island! God I'm spending far too much time gaming.
  • delbert 8 Jan 2013 23:45:11 2,889 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Is Swarm worth a punt at 160 points?
    Interested in the answer to this myself..

Got 8/10 here and apparently originally cost 1200 MSP!
  • Blerk Moderator 8 Jan 2013 23:48:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud - yes, that's the bit!

WALKING DEAD SPOILER, DON'T HOVER IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED:
    I was a little disappointed at his identity, it all just seemed a bit too convenient - I was hoping it would be someone we'd already met rather than a complete stranger. The fight and everything that followed it was totally intense, though. I'm not ashamed to say I genuinely had a tear in my fucking eye by the end, too. Amazing stuff!
  • andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 23:49:29 8,132 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Swarm is supposed to be ok but quite frustrating later on. The demo seemed quite good though, but not an essential purchase
  • agparrot 9 Jan 2013 00:05:05 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SFD wrote:
    Bah, thanks a lot guys. Just managed to clear about 10% of my ridiculous backlog and you basically force me to buy Bioshock 2. Only £3.99 on eBay.

I'll get the DLC tomorrow. There just the one, or?
    The other DLCs are, from what I remember, a new set of the 'protect the little sister' things, and some, erm, puzzling/trials or something - as far as I recall, only Minerva's Den is a proper bit of story DLC. It's certainly the only one I bought, and £3.99 for BS2 on ebay, plus 200 points for MD, is a great price to pay for being able to play Minerva's Den, if nothing else ;).
  • Page

of 631 First / Last