*Official* XBLA thread Page 560

• Page

of 634 First / Last

• Spong 1 Jan 2013 01:25:39 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like andytheadequate said earlier, it's like the old adage of "it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it". God knows I have enough examples of games that are 'tiny' which last longer than full-size retail releases (I completed PoP: Forgotten Sands in one sitting, Fez lasted me days).

But I can't help but quantify everything. Take Silent Hill Downpour, I bought that at full price (well, 30) on day one, and the game has a 4.5GB install size. To me, that means roughly 3.5GB has been 'wasted', my mind tells me the game could've had almost double the content.

Like I said before, I think there's a genuine logic to that train of thought, but what I shouldn't do is let it cloud my judgement when buying games. That's why it only really gets in the way of my digital purchases, because the size is right there in front of me before I buy it.
  • SFD 1 Jan 2013 01:30:47 512 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You have issues lol
  • monkehhh 1 Jan 2013 01:31:56 3,501 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    a genuine logic to that train of thought
    Like a serial killer.
  • robthehermit 1 Jan 2013 01:32:10 4,317 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark Souls approx 4.5gb

Rage approx 22gb

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Blerk Moderator 1 Jan 2013 02:45:04 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished Walking Dead episode 2. And.... fucking hell! :o
  • Whizzo 1 Jan 2013 02:59:41 43,350 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My favourite funny moment in TWD happens in episode 2, great writing and voice work.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 1 January 2013 03:01:01
    robthehermit wrote:
    Dark Souls approx 4.5gb

Rage approx 22gb
    Proof that games can be utter shit regardless of size.
  • Deleted user 1 January 2013 09:26:26
    Rage is good.

The orange box is 4gig. Wtf.
  • Mr-Brett 1 Jan 2013 09:32:00 12,892 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rage is good so I can only assume that Boab is talking about Dark Souls which I don't like but "shit" is a bit harsh.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• robthehermit 1 Jan 2013 11:30:57 4,317 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rage is great. According to Spongs logic though, it should be the greatest game in the world ever. When quite clearly its not.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Mr-Brett 1 Jan 2013 11:57:15 12,892 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Max Payne 3 is almost 30gig on PC, I thought it was good but clearly I was missing a lot of its greatness ;)

• lucky_jim 1 Jan 2013 12:12:58 5,349 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Spong
    I'm just gonna lob in a grenade and run. What if large file sizes actually mean the developers are evidently inefficient, which in turn doesn't bode well for the actual gameplay? You should be looking for tiny games where the developers are smart enough to think "let's try and save bandwidth and hard disk space" and capable enough to achieve it, because it means they've probably also achieved what they wanted to with the game itself.

Everything you've ever believed is a lie.
  • Spong 1 Jan 2013 12:54:19 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Braid is...disappointing.

I wish I'd stuck to my logic. Barely half a day since I bought it at just gone midnight and I've solved all the puzzles but world six and world one (which I've yet to see).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice game, great puzzles and all that, but it's far too small. I feel somewhat robbed, as I suspected every time I thought about buying the game. It should be at least three or four times the size if you ask me.
  • monkehhh 1 Jan 2013 13:03:41 3,501 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This would also mean all PS3 games are better than 360 games, as their discs hold more data? /troll

Maybe look at how much you paid versus how long you played, then compare it to something else? Or stop being insane / get back to Trials :)
  • Kay 1 Jan 2013 13:04:36 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's small but perfectly formed. Always preferable to lengthy games that go on for way too long. For its current price (800pts?) it's fine, there's plenty of challenge in there if you want to complete it 100%.
  • Mr-Brett 1 Jan 2013 13:06:11 12,892 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If value = game time for you then you're probably better off not playing XBLA games. You should get some PC games like Civilisation or Total War, maybe an MMO.
    I've spent dozens of hours on games like that, personally I wouldn't value those experiences any higher than that of Braid which while a relatively short game is one of the richest in content that I've ever played.

• Kay 1 Jan 2013 13:09:13 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Just finished Walking Dead episode 2. And.... fucking hell! :o
    My thoughts exactly after completing Episode 2 last night. NYE fireworks going off as I was reaching the end of it just made it even more atmospheric. :)

I do hope the remaining three episodes are just as good.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jan 2013 13:16:16 15,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kay
    Im going to have to start TWD soon. Bought the entire episodes for 800 points. You chaps seem to be having loads of fun with it :-)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Spong 1 Jan 2013 13:19:54 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    This would also mean all PS3 games are better than 360 games, as their discs hold more data? /troll
    That just exemplifies what I was saying originally about space being filled with pointless stuff. The majority of multiformat PS3 games have their discs padded out with uncompressed audio. Great if you're an audiophile, worthless to anyone else.

Kay wrote:
    ...there's plenty of challenge in there if you want to complete it 100%.
    I'm hoping the speed run mode will get me stuck for a while. But it's not unlocked yet.

Mr-Brett wrote:
    If value = game time for you then you're probably better off not playing XBLA games. You should get some PC games like Civilisation or Total War, maybe an MMO.
    I've spent dozens of hours on games like that, personally I wouldn't value those experiences any higher than that of Braid which while a relatively short game is one of the richest in content that I've ever played.
    Some of the best games of this generation (for me) have been XBLA games. I admitted right at the start when I said what I did that size shouldn't matter and that, for the most part, I knew I was being completely unfair in judging a game by its install size. But Braid, in my opinion, has proven me right.

I'm surprised that, for a game so popular, it hasn't had any DLC to extend on what's there. I'd have bought that in a heartbeat.
  • Kay 1 Jan 2013 13:28:45 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    ...there's plenty of challenge in there if you want to complete it 100%.
    I'm hoping the speed run mode will get me stuck for a while. But it's not unlocked yet.
    I meant just solving all of the puzzles and collecting all pieces to get the proper ending, I never bothered with the speed run achievement.
  • Mr-Brett 1 Jan 2013 13:53:29 12,892 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    I'm surprised that, for a game so popular, it hasn't had any DLC to extend on what's there. I'd have bought that in a heartbeat.
    It told the story it set out to and I think that was enough for the creators. In case you don't know, it was made by 2 people (well 3 technically since there was an artist before David Hellman) and the main creator (Jonathan Blow) put everything on it being a success. It was and he got enough money to keep making games, for guys like that just making games is all that's important.

• RelaxedMikki 1 Jan 2013 14:33:45 941 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Walking Dead Episode 2 was superb.

Favourite bit was where I exclaimed "You f**ker!" out loud and then read that "You f**ker!" was actually the second of the available dialog options!
  • Deleted user 1 January 2013 14:59:35
    Just thought I'd post a bit of love for LIMBO. Finally got round to completing it today albeit with some help from YouTube ;)
    Such a fantastic game, atmosphere and art style just blew me away.
    I'm making a massive effort to complete all my backlog of xbla games. Deadlight and Limbo down still have over 30+ others to go!!! :|
  • von_Doll 1 Jan 2013 15:15:46 2,115 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spong wrote:

But I can't help but quantify everything. Take Silent Hill Downpour, I bought that at full price (well, 30) on day one, and the game has a 4.5GB install size. To me, that means roughly 3.5GB has been 'wasted', my mind tells me the game could've had almost double the content.
    I agree. I wish they'd stuck in a few needless FMV cutscenes, or even a bunch of home movies, poetry readings, photos of the dev team's cats or an enormous PDF just to bulk out the disc. :-P

If it helps your weird brain logic, remember; you could probably fit every e-book in the world - a pool of pricess creativity and art worth countless millions - on a few blank DVDs or a cheap USB drive.
  • Mr-Brett 1 Jan 2013 15:19:39 12,892 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    Just thought I'd post a bit of love for LIMBO. Finally got round to completing it today albeit with some help from YouTube ;)
    Such a fantastic game, atmosphere and art style just blew me away.
    I'm making a massive effort to complete all my backlog of xbla games. Deadlight and Limbo down still have over 30+ others to go!!! :|
    The cart bit? That was the only place where I needed help, not that I didn't have trouble on other bits though, I eventually managed to figure those out though.

• Deleted user 1 January 2013 15:49:31
    @Mr-Brett

A few bits, the cart was one. The bit at the end with the arrow!!! Loved every minute of it though.

Any suggestions on what to start next? Looking to get the shortest ones out the way first.

Was thinking Outland but not sure on the length.
  • Deleted user 1 January 2013 17:42:15
    I'm finally getting around to buying Super Meat Boy, I find it's only 600MSP and it won't let me buy it! I'm settling for the trial version right now and seeing if I can unlock the full game from there.
  • IncredibleKoosh 1 Jan 2013 19:44:12 243 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This week's deals are a joke. 10% discount on some EA Sports titles (GoD), yet the offer titles rub in the fact that the US gets 17%.

:confused:
  • kinky_mong 2 Jan 2013 10:10:32 10,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    My favourite funny moment in TWD happens in episode 2, great writing and voice work.
    Loved that bit too! :D

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• richardiox 2 Jan 2013 10:23:52 5,732 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, is Retro City Rampage supposed to be any good? Got points left over from the Xmas sales blowout
  • Page

of 634 First / Last