Recommend me an MP3 player Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Trane 8 Jan 2009 13:10:16 4,054 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For sound quality, cost, and ease of use, Creative wins IMO.
  • motti82 8 Jan 2009 13:23:56 2,891 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:

Dat true from my experience. Got a Creative 32 Gigger, with Sennheiser earphones, perfect for bus journeys as it tunes out the noises of the skanks.
  • Trane 8 Jan 2009 13:25:10 4,054 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    motti82 wrote:
    Trane wrote:

Dat true from my experience. Got a Creative 32 Gigger, with Sennheiser earphones, perfect for bus journeys as it tunes out the noises of the skanks.

I'm guessing you don't have any Lily Allen on your player then :p
  • President_Weasel 8 Jan 2009 13:30:55 9,383 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved my Zen stone 2GB. It's tiny, the battery lasted 4 or 5 hours of play even after I'd had it a year, with my sennheiser phones the sound quality was remarkable for a tiny wee player. I recently gave it to a good friend of mine so she could listen to music while jogging, and she loves it too.

Got myself a creative x-fi 16GB and was somewhat disappointed - the sound quality is lovely, but the UI is slightly annoying and I don't use the wi-fi stuff.
    I'd say your best bet would be to pick up an 8GB Zen and use an SD card as expansion memory.
  • motti82 8 Jan 2009 13:35:50 2,891 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I quite like the look of the Creative Zen 32gb but since it doesn't come with a mains adaptor (who's clever idea was that?) it's a no go really.

It is a bit of a pain, but it's not too bad for charging up really. I plug mine into the USB when I'm on the PC uploading some new tunes onto it, takes about 45 mins to get it back to full weeks worth of tunes again.

I have thought about getting a mains charger for it, but since I work in IT, i'm never usually that far away from a USB port to charge it with.
  • President_Weasel 8 Jan 2009 13:42:53 9,383 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    But I won't have access to a USB so it's a no go. Will have to look at other manufacturers since Creative seem to have adopted this policy across their whole range, idiots.

Anyway, any other suggestions?

Yeah, I suggest getting a motorola phone charger. That's a mains to mini-usb right there. Back when I had a motorola phone I only had to take the one adaptor to charge my phone and my mp3 - that lovely Wash 'n Go feeling.
  • Trane 8 Jan 2009 13:43:16 4,054 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    And a lot of the newer players happily take 32gig SDHC cards.

Idd, do you not have a lappy Inquisitor?
  • TakeTheVeil 8 Jan 2009 13:53:20 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Check out some Cowon stuff. Best sound you'll find from an mp3 player.

You can probably find them cheaper than this but..

iAudio D2 4Gb 97 w/ FM Radio. And buy a SDHC 16Gb or 32Gb to expand the memory.

or the DAB 8Gb version for 145 Dunno if its worth an extra 50 notes for DAB though, up to yourself.

It has over 50hrs of playback, tiny and has mains and usb charge.

Or if you want something really amazing get an iAudio S9 16Gb for 199. The screen is actually fucking amazing! But it has no SDHC expansion slot so only 16Gb
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2009 15:05:57 68,063 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TakeTheVeil wrote:
    Or if you want something really amazing get an iAudio S9 16Gb for 199. The screen is actually fucking amazing! But it has no SDHC expansion slot so only 16Gb

You bastard. I had my choice nailed down to the Sony S739, and you show me that?! Tis 120 more expensive for the same memory, but looks sweeet
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2009 15:10:52 68,063 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I need to win a poker tourney or something to afford that. :( 90 was my limit.

/Sticks 100 on black
  • TakeTheVeil 8 Jan 2009 15:22:31 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I went with the iAudio D2 4Gb player along with a 16Gb SDHC memory card. Set me back 125 because I need them both fairly quickly I had to specify next day delivery on each purchase.

The memory card prices on the site I ordered the iAudio from were astronomical so I ordered a cheaper one from elsewhere, doubling up the delivery costs.

Yeah its a great little player. Once you have it set up the way you want you'll be delighted with it. The ID3 Tag handling is the only real downer on it, but I use 'files/folders' when browsing so everything is the way I want it and its not a problem.

I'm soo tempted to pick up a S9, but I just cant justify it. Ill find a way though
  • Deleted user 8 January 2009 15:26:10
    The Creative Zen annoyed me after a while. It's a nice enough player, but it just had a few issues that wound me up - like how long it takes to switch on (I've now got an iPod nano which turns on instantaneously - the Zen startup is about 5-8 seconds), and the slight delay when changing tracks. Plus the Creative software is just plain shit. Not that iTunes is much better, though.
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2009 15:26:39 68,063 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    You'd be best off spending 56 on a 4gig Creative Zen, 23 on a 16gig SDHC card, and waiting for play.com to do another 18 pair of Shure SE110's :)

Got a decent pair of earphones, and fancy a change from Creative after my Zen died on me after less than 3 years. Still think I'll go for the Sony S739...
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2009 15:46:00 68,063 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    /tries again

Oooh, now that looks tidy. Could quite easily add an 8 or 16GB SDHC card to it....

Something against Sony Bill?!
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2009 16:00:09 68,063 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bugger, must've misread. 8GB is a tad too small for me. 16-20GB is idea.

Really sold on that Cowan S9, goddamn it.
  • TakeTheVeil 8 Jan 2009 16:51:56 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

:D You'll be the talk of the town!
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2009 16:58:13 68,063 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TakeTheVeil wrote:
    Dougs wrote:

:D You'll be the talk of the town!

With Quidco and Xmas cash, I'm almost there....
  • Dougs 8 Jan 2009 17:08:49 68,063 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah. I'm only a tenner over my upper limit though, now I'm just dealing with the guilt!
  • Merlinho 23 Jan 2009 00:01:39 5,909 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just wondering,

Are there any decent mp3 players now that have the "queue songs" function that my Creative Jukebox 1 had several years ago? It seems this is something that the Ipod really is missing, the ability to just browse songs and add to the "currently playing" list.
  • Pooley 23 Jan 2009 00:11:24 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Touch has an "On The Go" playlist that you can add songs to whilst it's playing. Just start the playlist, then you can edit it and browse your albums to add tracks.
  • Merlinho 23 Jan 2009 00:22:58 5,909 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, now that sounds the sort of thing. I haven't used a Touch yet, just so used to using people's ipods and cursing their general borkedness without itunes running at all times.

My general mp3 habits are to queue up a list of 10 songs or so at a whim as I hop in the car, so being limited to a playlist I've had to make in advance or an album annoys me somewhat. It's also a good feature to give to a friend if you're driving, to allow them to queue some songs up.
  • polar 23 Jan 2009 00:52:46 1,098 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    prawnking wrote:
    I think Archos are supposed to be quite good, I think a few people on here have got them.

Thread

otherwise yes ipod as they seem to be the only ones who do larger HDD on their models.

I've got an archos player here I'll sell for cheap if anyone's interesed. Unwanted gift, never even opened it. It's an Archos 605 iirc.
  • Murbal 12 May 2009 15:47:34 22,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BUMP

Any ideas of the best 16gb players for under 100?
  • Fatiguez 10 Jun 2009 23:39:23 8,744 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, it's about time I got myself an mp3 player. I could probably find the ideal one after a bit of looking, but I'm lazy and EG always has the answer, so I'm requesting some of you impart your technological knowledge here and help me find what I'm looking for :)

Preferably, I'd like one with at 16GB of storage - any more isn't necessary, but would of course be welcome. I'd also like it to have a screen (not like the Shuffle, for instance). Ideally, it'd be just an mp3 player, and not one of them fancy ones what play videos like. I'd never use the video playback, and it'd just be an unnecessary price hike. Dunno if music-only players are still around, though, given how widespread video playback is now.
    My price range is anything up to about 100.
    It would also be nice if the player had a nice, simple interface for transferring music and whatnot, although those other things are more important.

Thanks in advance :)
  • Page

of 4 First / Last