Zelda: Where now?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • dirigiblebill 24 Mar 2008 10:39:46 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some interesting comments by BrainyGamer...

I can imagine a segment of the Zelda fan base growing frustrated by attaching too much story to gameplay. To me, they ought to go hand in hand, but I realize not everyone feels this way. I'm brainstorming here, but how about this: the player is given a choice very early in the game to enter one of two buildings: a temple or a museum. You can only choose one, and when your choice is made the other option disappears. In the temple you are drawn into a story and ultimately asked to accept a quest involving many other characters in a detailed narrative. If you accept it, you get a Zelda game that structurally resembles previous titles, but this time with a more complex RPG-like story.

If you choose instead to enter the museum, you will be given a map and asked to find your way to a destination (dungeon) you must explore to bring back certain artifacts. Success in each mission results in you receiving a new map with new exploration goals. In this version of the game you are essentially moving from dungeon to dungeon within a basic narrative structure, but without all the story and character interactions of the other version. All the dungeon fun without the Deku Tree whining! ;-) Zelda meets Tomb Raider? Maybe.

Text dialogue must disappear for good. Voice the characters with good actors and hire talented localization teams. See Dragon Quest VIII for how to do this exceptionally well.

And then there's Link. What to do with him? I believe the answer is nothing. Link is our conduit into the world of Hyrule. He is the solitary hero, the blank slate, the reincarnated hero upon whom we project ourselves and our hopes and dreams. I believe he must remain silent. If the world, and characters, and choices surrounding Link are more interesting, then Link will be more interesting too.

Bit of brain-food for Easter monday, anyway :)
  • Dirtbox 24 Mar 2008 10:41:03 78,554 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd like it to vanish forever.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• dirigiblebill 24 Mar 2008 10:52:05 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I'd like a solid gold Delorean. But we can't always have what we wish for, can we? ;)
  • Hunam 24 Mar 2008 10:56:08 20,674 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like a terrible idea. The team would basically be making a game that everyone only plays half of.

What they need to do with zelda is to move forward abit instead of just making zelda 3 with 3d graphics and adding some cutscenes. TP is probs the worst of the lot solely based on the fact that it didn't come out 10 years ago.
  • paul_haine 24 Mar 2008 10:58:42 4,205 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Text dialogue must disappear for good. Voice the characters with good actors and hire talented localization teams

NO.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Mar 2008 11:01:02 10,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    paul_haine wrote:
    Text dialogue must disappear for good. Voice the characters with good actors and hire talented localization teams

NO.
    Ok then. You've convinced me ;o)

Nah but seriously. Zelda could be Nintendo's first serious foray into voice acting. Metroid Prime 3 did it adequately if not slightly cheesily.

Quality voice actors and a suitably epic storyline and you're onto a winner.
  • Dirtbox 24 Mar 2008 11:02:21 78,554 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do a barrel roll!

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Mar 2008 11:03:55 10,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Do a barrel roll!
    Great job!
  • paul_haine 24 Mar 2008 11:10:20 4,205 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    paul_haine wrote:

NO.
    Ok then. You've convinced me ;o)

Nah but seriously. Zelda could be Nintendo's first serious foray into voice acting. Metroid Prime 3 did it adequately if not slightly cheesily.

Quality voice actors and a suitably epic storyline and you're onto a winner.

Sorry, I just really like the way voices have been done so far in Zelda games, just by using all those exclamations and other noises, and facial expressions to help along the way. I think it's one of the series' most endearing qualities.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Mar 2008 11:12:34 10,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think you'll find that if something drastic a la Wind Waker is done with Zelda then the sales will go through the floor and they'll have to shelve it for a few generations like Metroid.

The best bet is to focus on handheld adventures like Phantom Hourglass and leave the home console Zelda until at least the next console.
  • paul_haine 24 Mar 2008 11:15:01 4,205 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    I think you'll find that if something drastic a la Wind Waker is done with Zelda then the sales will go through the floor and they'll have to shelve it for a few generations like Metroid.

The best bet is to focus on handheld adventures like Phantom Hourglass and leave the home console Zelda until at least the next console.

But the Wii is the next console...
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Mar 2008 11:19:01 10,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But if there is nothing worth doing with the series on the Wii then you may as well leave it until the next next console.

I mean, I trust Miyamoto and Aouma to come up with the goods but it better be something completely original to revitalise the series.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2008 11:24:14
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Metroid Prime 3 did it adequately if not slightly cheesily.
    Yeah, and see how much those bits added to the experience..!

Personally I'd just like it to be a bit less predictable.
  • armyourfists 24 Mar 2008 11:27:39 917 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:Do a barrel roll!

/fixed.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 24 Mar 2008 11:28:47 10,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    armyourfists wrote:
    Hehe, brilliant.
  • dirigiblebill 24 Mar 2008 11:32:53 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    armyourfists wrote:
    Hehe, brilliant.

Damn, that's harsh :)

I wish I had something constructive to offer this thread, but I appear to have used up my daily braincell quota with the original post.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2008 11:33:59
    The one where you copy and pasted someone else's idea? ;)
  • Kay 24 Mar 2008 11:37:21 17,935 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't know of any Zelda fans who are concerned by too much story. If anything, it's the opposite, there isn't nearly enough proper story. I don't mean hours of cut-scenes and dialogue, but a bit more backstory on Hyrule and the characters would be nice. And the temple/museum gameplay idea, although intriguing, is far too radical, and not necessary at all.

There's two ways Nintendo can do it - either stick to the old OoT/TP template, but actually update it for this century. They need to look at some recent successful adventure-style games, borrow a few ideas if necessary and expand on the whole general concept of Zelda.

Or, they could take it in a completely bold new direction - they've already done this before, with Majora's Mask (albeit still using the old Zelda template), and Phantom Hourglass, to a lesser extent. The latter was very inventive and unique in its use of the DS, and I think something like that for the Wii is inevitable. However, they need to make sure they create a proper, fully-fleshed adventure around it, rather than just a short tech-demo (which is what PH felt like at times).

Voice acting can work of course, but like pretty much every other Zelda fan I'd rather they stick to text-based dialogue. Not just because it's tried and trusted, but also because it's one of the many things that makes Zelda unique. A proper orchestral score is long overdue however, and they really, really need to make it more challenging - scrap all the old 'light two torches to open a door'-style puzzles and invent some new ones. The Forest/Fire/Water temple theme has to go too, it's been done far too many times. The truth is, all the dungeons in recent games have pretty much been rehashes of the ones in OoT - for a series that's so highly praised, that's pathetic.

K
  • Deleted user 24 March 2008 11:38:11
    HEY!
  • Razz 24 Mar 2008 11:38:22 61,416 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HEY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Deleted user 24 March 2008 11:38:31
    \0/
  • Razz 24 Mar 2008 11:38:39 61,416 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JINX!

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Deleted user 24 March 2008 11:40:15
    Doesn't count if you're a whole [u]11[/u] seconds out.
  • Kay 24 Mar 2008 11:57:19 17,935 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck it, then. Just turn it into a shitty mini-game collection.

K
  • dirigiblebill 24 Mar 2008 12:08:29 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    The one where you copy and pasted someone else's idea? ;)

I challenge you to match the craftmanship of my cut-pasting, sir. Tens years man and boy grumble grumble.
  • daithi90 24 Mar 2008 12:26:12 3,283 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lego Zelda!
  • paul_haine 24 Mar 2008 12:39:14 4,205 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    Waffle

K

Seems unfair, they seemed like good points to me.
  • Gunstars 24 Mar 2008 12:58:04 441 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To me Zelda is all about dungeons and puzzles, I couldn't care less about all the other extra stuff. So, I reckon they were heading in the right direction when the experimented with the more dungeon focused co-op play in Four Swords. I think if expanded on those ideas and added more dungeons and items + online play, I would be extremely satisfied.

It wouldn't hurt if they nicked the fighting system from NMH as well.
  • ecu 24 Mar 2008 13:03:35 77,089 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Voice acting in Zelda would be horrible. I wish more games would go back to using text, actually.
  • JetSetWilly 24 Mar 2008 13:07:28 5,721 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stephen Totilo of MTV Multiplayer had an interesting piece on this very question recently. His point, essentially, was that they should stop trying to best OOT and just accept that that is the pinnacle of the series. Instead they should just remake it.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous