CERN's LHC "The most complicated thing that humans have ever built" Page 4

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• Lutz 26 Mar 2008 10:45:34 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    / watches the Moon
    We sort of need that though. Can't we test fire on Mercury instead? A planet that is 400 degrees on one side and minus 250 on t'other just can't be up to any good.
  • jellyhead 26 Mar 2008 10:52:11 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah and it's hiding in front of the Sun so we can't see it clearly without hurting our eyes. Definitely dodgy and what has it contributed to society apart from threatening alien invasion.

Let it have it!

This signature intentionally left blank.

• n3utr0n 26 Mar 2008 11:08:05 200 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh noes mini black holes!

Let's blow up Mercury! \o/
  • pauleyc 28 Mar 2008 13:49:53 4,459 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hadrons and lawsuit collide!

Some folks outside the scientific mainstream have asked darker questions as well: Could the collider create mini-black holes that last long enough and get big enough to turn into a matter-sucking maelstrom? Could exotic particles known as magnetic monopoles throw atomic nuclei out of whack? Could quarks recombine into "strangelets" that would turn the whole Earth into one big lump of exotic matter? (...)

Last Friday, Wagner and another critic of the LHC's safety measures, Luis Sancho, filed a lawsuit in Hawaii's U.S. District Court. The suit calls on the U.S. Department of Energy, Fermilab, the National Science Foundation and CERN to ease up on their LHC preparations for several months while the collider's safety was reassessed.
  • gizmo 28 Mar 2008 14:12:54 2,028 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That things fuck all compared to what I can do with Lego.

• LeoliansBro 28 Mar 2008 14:17:34 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I say turn it on. If we dies, we dies.

If we doesn't, given no-one really knows what could happen, there's a chance we'll all turn into superhumans with the power to fly or turn invisible or stuff, like the X-Men which would be great.

Although I bet I'll have some shite or super-specific power like the ability to know where every geranium is on the planet at any one time, or being able to talk to woodlice.

But otherwise, HELL YEAH! Fire it up, turn it on Mercury, create our own Unicron.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• w00t 28 Mar 2008 14:21:50 11,101 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    XKCD's take on the subject.

And Overcompensating - 1 and 2 (so far).

:)

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Amajiro 28 Mar 2008 14:24:37 2,214 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    I say turn it on. If we dies, we dies.

If we doesn't, given no-one really knows what could happen, there's a chance we'll all turn into superhumans with the power to fly or turn invisible or stuff, like the X-Men which would be great.

Although I bet I'll have some shite or super-specific power like the ability to know where every geranium is on the planet at any one time, or being able to talk to woodlice.

But otherwise, HELL YEAH! Fire it up, turn it on Mercury, create our own Unicron.

gLOL

and +1 on the risk-taking philosophy - I don't mind if my final thought is "oh so that's the final destiny of the human race".
  • Xerx3s 28 Mar 2008 14:27:50 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know, can decide now that we will never use it and thus never find out but what if another species builds one as well and turns it on? What then?
    WE WOULDN'T GET CREDIT FOR BLOWING UP THIS UNIVERSE! THAT'S WHAT!
  • Xerx3s 28 Mar 2008 14:32:11 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Erm, did I read that right? Are they seriously considering doing the big bang experiment? Aren't they slightly worried about what happens in that mirco fraction of a second? 0_o

Nope. ;-P

Seriously, the media always misreports this - what we're doing is recreating conditions very, very soon AFTER the big bang i.e. huge temperatures. What we're not doing is creating another universe or anything like that. And when scientists say "we don't know what will happen" they mean within certain realms of possibility. We are 100% certain that we are not going to destroy the earth for ecample.

Ah but isn't that the problem, if you create the same conditions, why wouldn't something similar happen (that annoying other theory that makes my head hurt aside).
    TBF, we have no fucking clue what happened in that first moment really. Contradictions all over the place.
  • LeoliansBro 28 Mar 2008 14:34:26 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The end of the universe (and the dawn of a new one) - this had better be on telly. Even if it is only on Dave, with evil Halfords adverts...

I'd watch it, and keep the woodlice on standby just in case they suddenly become understandable.

• Xerx3s 28 Mar 2008 14:35:33 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    People get all concerned about the creating black holes thing - but they must think we've never done it before. Black holes have been created before.

They don't just suddenly wink into existence the size of a penny and work their way up to eating an entire universe - they're really small and just die out really really quickly.

Even worse, they are everywhere. Micro blackholes could be anywhere really. Next time that you open the fridge and notice that all the beer is gone -> micro blackhole.

But then again, I always silence my fears with bigger fears. In this case the knowledge that there are things in this universe that make some blackholes look like childsplay.

/hides under chair
  • Xerx3s 28 Mar 2008 14:37:44 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nostrus wrote:
    So, out of curiosity, what practical applications are expected to come of this? I mean, for £5.1b or whatever has been spent on it, I'm hoping that we get something for our money.

What are the theories on what is going to happen when "the switch is flicked"?

There are various reasons but even if there weren't, it would be like pure maths. For a lot of stuff there was no practical application at the time but one day there will be a use for it.

I think that it's just for the kick of making something complex. And the fun of watching creationists readjust their point yet again.
  • LeoliansBro 28 Mar 2008 14:37:51 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Next time that you open the fridge and notice that all the beer is gone -> micro blackhole.

That's brilliant! Although I've noticed the reverse often happens when I've been out drinking - there seems to have been a micro whitehole in my wallet as it always contains about £100 in various demoninations the next day...

I also suspect there's a micro blackhole in my boiler, stealing all my heat.

• Xerx3s 28 Mar 2008 14:41:26 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah but what do you think that happens with stuff that goes into black holes? It doesn't stay there, it get spit out again (in various 'states'). So sixpack in, money out. My logic is flawless.
  • Xerx3s 28 Mar 2008 14:42:34 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think we have just started a new lolcat hype here. ;p
  • LeoliansBro 16 Apr 2008 14:25:22 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    35 days eh?

/fits in as much MarioKart as possible

• spindizzy 16 Apr 2008 14:26:45 6,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    activ8 wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    Large Hadron Collider with lots of pictures.

Awesomeness.

35 days left.

It is possible that this Universe in 35 days does not exist anymore. And these are not esoterists these are scientists who think so.

Safety of this project should be reviewed or our Universe may be gone. Sucked up into a black hole actually.

CERN LHC will be in production mode on the 21. of May 2008

Pleas visit the notepad blog to more information http://www.notepad.ch

Oh shut up you dribbling moron.

@Xerxes: it's not like that. We're recreating conditions AFTER the big bang, and we're producing particles with less energy than the cosmic radiation that bombards the earth every day.
  • Xerx3s 16 Apr 2008 14:28:29 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wtf? First CERN, now Enders?
  • IMO 16 Apr 2008 14:29:27 5,661 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    activ8 wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    Large Hadron Collider with lots of pictures.

Awesomeness.

35 days left.

It is possible that this Universe in 35 days does not exist anymore. And these are not esoterists these are scientists who think so.

Safety of this project should be reviewed or our Universe may be gone. Sucked up into a black hole actually.

CERN LHC will be in production mode on the 21. of May 2008

Pleas visit the notepad blog to more information http://www.notepad.ch

We can't even get Satellite working on a cloudy day and people expect that we've built a machine with the potential to destroy the universe?! Paranoid much?
  • Xerx3s 16 Apr 2008 14:30:55 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oke, but if you guys blow up the universe again, I'm going to personally hold you responsible.
  • w00t 16 Apr 2008 14:45:26 11,101 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A friend of mine who is a particl physicist works at SLAC in Stanford says there's no way a black hole can be made at LHC, and that these stories make him sad.

This is one step up from 'a bloke down the pub told me...'.

• jellyhead 16 Apr 2008 14:55:21 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Told you what?
    You can't just leave us hanging like that! Share the info! ;)

• w00t 16 Apr 2008 14:56:49 11,101 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    '...that the Milk Marketing Board killed Diana 'cos she was interefering with their landmine profits.'

• glaeken 16 Apr 2008 14:58:35 11,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's really a case of Pandora’s box. If we don't do it now then we will some time so why not do it now.

Personally I would not want to live in a universe that can be undone by ambitious monkeys.
  • spindizzy 16 Apr 2008 15:01:55 6,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    A friend of mine who is a particl physicist works at SLAC in Stanford says there's no way a black hole can be made at LHC, and that these stories make him sad.

It's certainly not very likely, but it is just about possible. Put it this way, I was just running a simulation of it the other day, so it's something we do actively consider (which we wouldn't do if it was impossible)

Here's one paper on it (which I haven't read yet incidentally):
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0411095
  • spindizzy 16 Apr 2008 15:02:12 6,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ahab wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    and we're producing particles with less energy than the cosmic radiation that bombards the earth every day.

Chicken

LOL! ;-)
  • jellyhead 16 Apr 2008 15:02:29 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    0_o
    I bloody KNEW it!
    ... and they want to use the LHC to generate a black hole to destroy the evidence! They are nothing but Rascals from Rascaldom i say!

Anyway, do you think we're actually in any danger of making something like this that could go horribly wrong?
    What i mean is with all this new stuff, could there be something in the numbers that we miss and the next thing *poof* cockroaches get their chance. :)

• Page

of 66 First / Last