CERN's LHC "The most complicated thing that humans have ever built" Page 3

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• Ares 22 Mar 2008 09:57:30 1,822 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    We are 100% certain that we are not going to destroy the earth for ecample.

o_O

And don't forget the ±50% range of uncertainty! :p
  • RichGL 22 Mar 2008 10:03:57 791 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Erm, did I read that right? Are they seriously considering doing the big bang experiment? Aren't they slightly worried about what happens in that mirco fraction of a second? 0_o

Nope. ;-P

Seriously, the media always misreports this - what we're doing is recreating conditions very, very soon AFTER the big bang i.e. huge temperatures. What we're not doing is creating another universe or anything like that. And when scientists say "we don't know what will happen" they mean within certain realms of possibility. We are 100% certain that we are not going to destroy the earth for ecample.

When you say "we" you don't mean you are part of the team, do you?

As you spend far too much time on here, and your post has a spelling mistake. That concerns me.

You see my point?
  • warlockuk 22 Mar 2008 10:22:03 19,223 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People get all concerned about the creating black holes thing - but they must think we've never done it before. Black holes have been created before.

They don't just suddenly wink into existence the size of a penny and work their way up to eating an entire universe - they're really small and just die out really really quickly.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• sport 22 Mar 2008 11:25:47 12,811 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    People get all concerned about the creating black holes thing - but they must think we've never done it before. Black holes have been created before.

They don't just suddenly wink into existence the size of a penny and work their way up to eating an entire universe - they're really small and just die out really really quickly.

/warlockuk taps nose
  • WrongShui 22 Mar 2008 11:31:51 6,622 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    And when scientists say "we don't know what will happen" they mean within certain realms of possibility. We are 100% certain that we are not going to destroy the earth for ecample.

I'm sure a swarm of killer bees didn't enter the realm of possibilities for the guy who made them.
  • Pirotic Moderator 22 Mar 2008 11:35:41 20,647 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    everybodyknowsadave wrote:
    Awesomeness.. When do they switch it on?..

they already switched it on 2 weeks from now.
  • Genji 22 Mar 2008 13:32:32 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a time machine in my garage. It's a cardboard box with the words TIME MACHINE on it. I go in, go to sleep for a bit, then come out and its the FUTUUUUURE.

...or the new present, depending on how you look at it.
  • evildunksta 24 Mar 2008 23:22:00 225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yay! Half Life 3 will be REAL!
  • spindizzy 24 Mar 2008 23:45:32 6,610 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:

By us? It's not my field but I really don't think so! Are you sure?
  • Nostrus 25 Mar 2008 09:25:41 376 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I've heard of tiny miniature black holes being created during particle collisions before, that wink out of existence within nanoseconds.
  • Ginger 25 Mar 2008 09:42:31 6,916 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nostrus wrote:
    Yeah, I've heard of tiny miniature black holes being created during particle collisions before, that wink out of existence within nanoseconds.
    Think they may be theoretical, but not sure - theory being that the rate of hawking radiation >> the rate at which the atomix black hole sucks up matter

London open taekwondo champion

• Amajiro 25 Mar 2008 12:11:38 2,214 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /see's tiny glowing reenactment of the birth of the universe float past window..

So, they turned it on yet?

I seriously belive things like this are the reason we are seemingly alone in the galaxy, a self aware species like us are just to damn curious for our own good and end up blowing ourselfs up before growing enough to reach any other life that *might* be out there somewhere..

A little reading on the Fermi Paradox might interest you.
  • glaeken 25 Mar 2008 12:11:39 11,265 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah maybe the universe contains false clues to direct intelligent species to carry out experiments that actually end in their destruction. It would be a great way of stopping the universe from being over run with intelligent species and nips a species in the bud just at the right point.

/may have been playing Mass Effect too much
  • sam_spade 25 Mar 2008 12:14:17 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "The LHC is a machine of extreme hot and cold. When two beams of protons collide, they will generate temperatures more than 100 000 times hotter than the heart of the Sun, concentrated within a minuscule space. By contrast, the 'cryogenic distribution system', which circulates superfluid helium around the accelerator ring, keeps the LHC at a super cool temperature of -271.3°C (1.9 K) – even colder than outer space!"

Woot!

/waits for a portion of France and Switzerland to disappear.
  • rudedudejude 25 Mar 2008 12:22:26 2,254 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone know the knew blast off date? I know it has been put back a couple of time due to faulty equipment.
  • Xerx3s 25 Mar 2008 12:38:13 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Awesomeness.. When do they switch it on?..

they already switched it on 2 weeks from now.

So in 2 weeks, the world will end. Cheers.
  • Xerx3s 25 Mar 2008 12:40:36 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /see's tiny glowing reenactment of the birth of the universe float past window..

So, they turned it on yet?

I seriously belive things like this are the reason we are seemingly alone in the galaxy, a self aware species like us are just to damn curious for our own good and end up blowing ourselfs up before growing enough to reach any other life that *might* be out there somewhere..

Forever peace touches on this subject if I recall correctly. Not as good as it's presentation of god in forever free though. XD
  • jellyhead 25 Mar 2008 12:53:08 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Yeah maybe the universe contains false clues to direct intelligent species to carry out experiments that actually end in their destruction. It would be a great way of stopping the universe from being over run with intelligent species and nips a species in the bud just at the right point.

Read some Alastair Reynolds.

:)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Xerx3s 25 Mar 2008 13:24:12 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

Read some [enter any scifi writer name here].

:)

fixed.
  • jellyhead 25 Mar 2008 13:33:21 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh. A good point well made, Xerx3s. :)

I meant that Reynolds' work has the whole 'Inhibitors' arc running through it. Hell, it's one of the central issues in his universe.

• glaeken 25 Mar 2008 13:42:18 11,265 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I have read the Reynolds "Inhibitor" series and it is similar to the story in Mass effect but then Reynolds was also borrowing from other authors on the idea of the inhibitors.

I have no idea who came up with the concept of controls on intelligent life first but its certainly been an idea that's been around for a long time.
  • spindizzy 25 Mar 2008 14:10:06 6,610 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nostrus wrote:

I really, really don't think you have. They're theorised to exist, and we think we might make some ... but AFAIK it's never been done before. 99.9999999% certain.
  • Nostrus 26 Mar 2008 09:54:35 376 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, out of curiosity, what practical applications are expected to come of this? I mean, for £5.1b or whatever has been spent on it, I'm hoping that we get something for our money.

What are the theories on what is going to happen when "the switch is flicked"?
  • Nostrus 26 Mar 2008 09:59:18 376 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Nostrus wrote:

I really, really don't think you have. They're theorised to exist, and we think we might make some ... but AFAIK it's never been done before. 99.9999999% certain.
    Well, it works one of two ways. Either a) I've read something online that either claims to have made them, and having no real scientific background I have no basis to say "lawl, no you haven't" or b) my chronic deja vu is kicking in and you guys do create some mini-black holes and given I read about it after the event, I presume you don't suck Earth into the void.

I'm not actually joking with b) by the way. I suffer, and I mean suffer as it disorients me when it happens, from deja vu that lasts anywhere up to 20 seconds and I can recall with picture perfect clarity, sounds as well, what I've been doing at the time. These are unique occasions too, not something that I do on a regular basis.

I also have suffered from the form of deja vu tied to a place. I can't recall the name for it now, but it's the overwhelming sense that you have been in that place before but have no memory of it. Happened to me when I was in Lerwick, Shetland. Despite my family hailing from Orkney, I'd never been there and my mother didn't believe me when I told her. Meh.

Anyway, enough thread derailing. I demand answers! :D
  • n3utr0n 26 Mar 2008 10:36:08 200 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nostrus wrote:
    So, out of curiosity, what practical applications are expected to come of this? I mean, for £5.1b or whatever has been spent on it, I'm hoping that we get something for our money.

Meaning of the Universe Theory of Everything type stuff isn't it?

And 5.1 billion seems pretty cheap for a planet killing doomsday device :D
  • jellyhead 26 Mar 2008 10:44:26 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait! Have CERN actually just turned the Earth into a prototype Death Star? 0_o
    When are they testing this "not a planet destroying giant laser weapon" i mean Collider?

/ watches the Moon

• Page

of 66 First / Last