CERN's LHC "The most complicated thing that humans have ever built" Page 2

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• MetalDog 21 Mar 2008 14:34:36 23,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm simultaniously excited by the possibilities and deeply nervous about gaping dimensional rips tearing apart reality as we know it. Awesome. Dangerous, but awesome.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 21 March 2008 14:53:41
    As a man I am unable to criticise anyone for, effectively, blowing shit up in new, cool and interesting ways.
  • MetalDog 21 Mar 2008 15:26:02 23,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rooney wrote:
    arn;t these scientists playing dice with the human race?...and should they be allowed to be in that position.

People said the same thing about splitting the atom and look how well that turned out!

Wait...

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• spindizzy 21 Mar 2008 15:30:21 6,616 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seriously guys, the media blow up the 'risks' to make it sound interesting. If anyone involved had the slightest belief that we might be endangering the planet, we wouldn't be doing this. The energies we produce at CERN, while HUGE on human scales, are nothing to the cosmic rays bombarding the earth every day.
  • sport 21 Mar 2008 15:34:08 12,812 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Seriously guys, the media blow up the 'risks' to make it sound interesting. If anyone involved had the slightest belief that we might be endangering the planet, we wouldn't be doing this. The energies we produce at CERN, while HUGE on human scales, are nothing to the cosmic rays bombarding the earth every day.

WE'RE BEING BOMBARDED?!?! WHO SHOOTS THESE "COSMIC RAYS"?? WHO GODDAMIT?!?!

• JonFE 21 Mar 2008 16:12:29 1,459 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cambridge wrote:
    Rooney wrote:
    forget you head?

you could interpret it either way.

LOL!!!
  • Deleted user 21 March 2008 16:16:20
    spindizzy wrote:
    Stop. Ruining. It.
  • spindizzy 21 Mar 2008 16:25:52 6,616 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Stop. Ruining. It.

Folks! I just re-ran those numbers and there's a chance that the confurmbulators could exceed thresholds, leading to a runaway tachyon cascade WHICH COULD DESTROY ALL LIFE AS WE KNOW IT!!!!>!?!?!

But 5:30pm and I'm clocking off. I'll try to remember to mention it to someone on Monday.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2008 16:36:04
    I saw about this on a program recently. They are going to use it to prove/disprove superstring theory.
  • spindizzy 21 Mar 2008 16:39:27 6,616 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tinderbox wrote:
    I saw about this on a program recently. They are going to use it to prove/disprove superstring theory.

No they aren't - superstring theory is very flexible and I'm sure the theorists who still back it will be able to twist into a new, unprovable form.

/Isn't a big fan of superstring theory.
  • Khanivor 21 Mar 2008 17:15:42 41,297 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I'm simultaniously excited by the possibilities and deeply nervous about gaping dimensional rips tearing apart reality as we know it. Awesome. Dangerous, but awesome.

/crosses fingers and hopes for re-born Al Capone to be the first thing their detectors detect.
  • souljah 21 Mar 2008 17:22:09 4,701 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am pleasantly surprised there hasn't been any "what about the millions of hungry and dying pople in the world all this money could have helped" - type comments.....yet.
  • freaxgamer 21 Mar 2008 17:25:06 1,604 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't that where they filmed a scene in Terminator3.

(Ya know the scene where the female Terminator stick to it, magnetism thingy)
  • spindizzy 21 Mar 2008 17:40:02 6,616 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    freaxgamer wrote:
    Isn't that where they filmed a scene in Terminator3.

(Ya know the scene where the female Terminator stick to it, magnetism thingy)

Yes, it's the same sort of thing ... though that one looked to be a lot smaller, like the particle accelerator they have at Stanford for example. It definitely wasn't filmed at CERN anyway.
  • JammyB 21 Mar 2008 18:54:03 756 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    everybodyknowsadave wrote:
    I bet it would cost another 5 billion in electricity costs!. I wonder how much the sucker takes to run
    Had a talk from a scientist working on this the other day and he said that, when operational, it uses the same amount of electricity as the entire city of Geneva.

By the way the original article is shit and full of hyperbole. This one is a really good read: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/03/god-particle/achenbach-text
  • Khanivor 21 Mar 2008 18:56:31 41,297 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't forget the cost of B2s include all the R&D, so when there are stealth kites for sale at toy shops that will help to put the price in perspective ;p
  • Nostrus 21 Mar 2008 18:58:52 376 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "We don’t even know what to expect," says French physicist Yves Schutz. "We’re now in a domain of energy that nobody has ever explored."

Awesome. We're all going to die.
  • souljah 21 Mar 2008 18:59:04 4,701 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ahab wrote:
    souljah wrote:
    I am pleasantly surprised there hasn't been any "what about the millions of hungry and dying pople in the world all this money could have helped" - type comments.....yet.

Would be really hypocritical, what does its cost, ten billion dollars or so? The same as a few stealth bombers or whatever.

Hence my surprise! ;)

These massive engineering projects really amaze me, but I'm even more amazed by engineering done far down the other end of the scale, like this or this.

It's amazing what humans can do when they put their minds to it! :)
  • L0cky 21 Mar 2008 19:32:59 1,559 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    souljah wrote:These massive engineering projects really amaze me, but I'm even more amazed by engineering done far down the other end of the scale, like this or this.

and that bug was all like 'you know I don't get out of bed for less than 10k right?'
  • Xerx3s 22 Mar 2008 01:36:16 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Erm, did I read that right? Are they seriously considering doing the big bang experiment? Aren't they slightly worried about what happens in that mirco fraction of a second? 0_o
  • spindizzy 22 Mar 2008 09:18:13 6,616 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Erm, did I read that right? Are they seriously considering doing the big bang experiment? Aren't they slightly worried about what happens in that mirco fraction of a second? 0_o

Nope. ;-P

Seriously, the media always misreports this - what we're doing is recreating conditions very, very soon AFTER the big bang i.e. huge temperatures. What we're not doing is creating another universe or anything like that. And when scientists say "we don't know what will happen" they mean within certain realms of possibility. We are 100% certain that we are not going to destroy the earth for ecample.
  • Page

of 66 First / Last