CERN's LHC "The most complicated thing that humans have ever built" Page 63

  • Page

    of 66 First / Last

  • jonsaan 4 Jul 2012 22:26:46 25,440 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And you've not seen animal house either?

    FCUTA!

  • chopsen 4 Jul 2012 22:35:38 16,290 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    What I don't understand, if this has around 130 times the mass of a proton, how does it give a proton mass? I assumed we were looking for the subsubatomic particle which made up subatomic particles i.e. a proton's made up of two particles, one giving it mass and the other giving it charge.
    This is exactly what I don't understand. If the Higgs is what gives things mass, then how can they talk about the mass of the Higgs. I think they're just making shit up. It's quite possible that physicists are doing this. We're not going to know any better are we?
  • Lukus 4 Jul 2012 22:50:36 19,464 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As far as I understand it, Higgs is basically The Force. Is that right?

    Paintings & Photographs

  • jonsaan 4 Jul 2012 22:52:30 25,440 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Midichlorians innit.

    FCUTA!

  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 22:55:06
    jonsaan wrote:
    I may not have been entirely serious.
    I require a research grant to investigate and confirm this hypothesis.
  • monkehhh 4 Jul 2012 22:55:10 3,505 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair they could feed me any old shit and I'd probably believe it, who knows what they're up to with their big ramming things in to other things machine. Sad lack of the usual EG tin-foil hat truthing brigade in here, they should be declaring the whole thing to be some big weapon experiment.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 22:55:34
    Lukus wrote:
    As far as I understand it, Higgs is basically The Force. Is that right?
    I thought that was what Dark Matter was.
  • X201 4 Jul 2012 22:57:06 15,741 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its something to do with the Higgs being a field that breaks down and gives mass to other particles as it decays.

    Can't find an explanation for the 130 times part though.
  • jonsaan 4 Jul 2012 22:58:53 25,440 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Once I discover the secret of higgs will I finally be able to stick it up the other halves poopensheiser?

    If not. meh.

    FCUTA!

  • chopsen 4 Jul 2012 23:01:28 16,290 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    As far as I understand it, Higgs is basically The Force. Is that right?
    I thought that was what Dark Matter was.
    Nah, that's dark energy.

    Also, why are the measuring mass is gigaelectronvolts? Volts is now a unit of mass, is it? How many volts do I weigh?
  • mal 4 Jul 2012 23:02:48 22,830 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This stuff about the Higgs field just reminds me of the electronic ether, but I'll assume they're right this time. Maybe.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • jonsaan 4 Jul 2012 23:03:15 25,440 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    As far as I understand it, Higgs is basically The Force. Is that right?
    I thought that was what Dark Matter was.
    Nah, that's dark energy.

    Also, why are the measuring mass is gigaelectronvolts? Volts is now a unit of mass, is it? How many volts do I weigh?
    Too many fat boy ;D

    FCUTA!

  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 23:07:33
    Chopsen wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    As far as I understand it, Higgs is basically The Force. Is that right?
    I thought that was what Dark Matter was.
    Nah, that's dark energy.

    Also, why are the measuring mass is gigaelectronvolts? Volts is now a unit of mass, is it? How many volts do I weigh?
    3.
  • senso-ji 4 Jul 2012 23:08:35 6,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stephen Hawking congratulated the CERN staff but also said; "But it is a pity in a way because the great advances in physics have come from experiments that gave results we didn't expect."

    I agree with him on that. Seems that the scientists are doing everything they can to prove a theory rather than do some unbiased experiments to test the theory and see what happens.

    And I'm going to remain skeptical; this was the same people that thought they found particles that traveled faster than light but the results turned out to be wrong.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 23:10:46
    I think we're all making light of what could be an incredibly important discovery. We should take the unique and special opportunity to ask one of the scientists some questions to further our own knowledge. I'll start:

    What happens to my penis if I stick it into the collider when hadrons are being born?
  • chopsen 4 Jul 2012 23:11:14 16,290 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Stephen Hawking congratulated the CERN staff but also said; "But it is a pity in a way because the great advances in physics have come from experiments that gave results we didn't expect."
    Well, given that he had long standing $100 bet with someone that the Higgs wouldn't be found, from his point of view that is exactly what this result was.
  • jonsaan 4 Jul 2012 23:12:41 25,440 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lest we forget. The scientists of their day proclaimed the world flat. We can only use our limited understanding to explain the world around us. Whilst this may help with unlocking further knowledge, future generations will look back and laugh at how silly we all are I'm sure.

    FCUTA!

  • chopsen 4 Jul 2012 23:16:11 16,290 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Lest we forget. The scientists of their day proclaimed the world flat.
    1. No they didn't. This was victorian era propaganda about the how great the age of reason/progress was, and how stupid people in the middle ages was. The ancient Greeks empirically estimated the radius of the globe.

    2. the term scientist is meaningless in this context anyway. The term was not invented till the 1800s.
  • chopsen 4 Jul 2012 23:17:05 16,290 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    how stupid people in the middle ages was.
    /autofacepalm
  • Khanivor 4 Jul 2012 23:21:22 41,261 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scientists have known the Earth was a sphere for absolutely ages. It was religious bampots in the dark ages who came up with the whole flat Earth thing. Gog and Magog and all that shite, I think.

    I'll bet folks who have made a career out of string theory and the like are all a bit, "bollocks" right about now.
  • jonsaan 4 Jul 2012 23:21:41 25,440 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Next you'll be telling me God doesn't exist.

    FCUTA!

  • Khanivor 4 Jul 2012 23:21:48 41,261 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ancient scientists also invented the F5 key.
  • localnotail 4 Jul 2012 23:40:06 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    'So you're saying that like, one tiny atom on my fingernail is like a whole other universe?'
    Can I buy some pot from you?

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • Lukus 5 Jul 2012 00:21:46 19,464 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:

    Seems that the scientists are doing everything they can to prove a theory rather than do some unbiased experiments to test the theory and see what happens...
    I'm not sure you understand how science works. Scientists want to prove things right and wrong (as in reach the genuinely correct conclusion for any given theory and rule things in and out). There's no point in them ignoring contradictions or inconsistencies. Science is perfectly happy to constantly test itself and revise the accepted facts accordingly.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • neilka 5 Jul 2012 00:36:23 16,527 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I applaud this search for big bosoms.

    BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

  • Ginger 5 Jul 2012 08:31:02 6,916 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Also, why are the measuring mass is gigaelectronvolts? Volts is now a unit of mass, is it? How many volts do I weigh?
    Mass energy equivalence.

    e=mc^2 and all that. The GeV is unit of energy and hence is a standard measured of mass in particle physics. IIRC 1eV is 1.6*10^-19 Joules or something like that - so not very much.

    There ya go - wiki has it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronvolt

    Edited by Ginger at 08:34:46 05-07-2012

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Tonka 5 Jul 2012 08:39:30 21,349 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    I applaud this search for big bosoms.
    Bosoms now officially the most important thing in the universe.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Inertia 5 Jul 2012 08:40:12 677 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/03/how-does-higgs-particle-give-things-mass/]Schooled by FOX news!![/link]
  • warlockuk 5 Jul 2012 08:54:10 19,223 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    'So you're saying that like, one tiny atom on my fingernail is like a whole other universe?'
    Can I buy some pot from you?
    Damn you, Delta Tau Chi!

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • heyyo 5 Jul 2012 08:55:00 14,369 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    mal wrote:
    What I don't understand, if this has around 130 times the mass of a proton, how does it give a proton mass? I assumed we were looking for the subsubatomic particle which made up subatomic particles i.e. a proton's made up of two particles, one giving it mass and the other giving it charge.
    This is exactly what I don't understand. If the Higgs is what gives things mass, then how can they talk about the mass of the Higgs. I think they're just making shit up. It's quite possible that physicists are doing this. We're not going to know any better are we?
    I think the Higgis (or whatever particle they've found) decays very easily/quickly (as it's massive) it interacts with other particles to give them mass.
  • Page

    of 66 First / Last

Log in or register to reply