Gurkha veterans demand equal rights

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • JuanKerr 19 Mar 2008 11:11:11 36,295 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gurkhas protesting for right to stay in UK.

BBC.

One of these guys is on the radio now - he served for the British Army for 24 years and retired before 1997. Now he's being told he has to go back to Nepal. That's gratitude for you.

• LeoliansBro 19 Mar 2008 11:14:12 44,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Too fucking right they should get equal rights.

They're some scary heavy duty soldiers as well. Kind of like our version of the nazgul, only less emo.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• opalw00t 19 Mar 2008 11:18:55 11,169 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Defintiely let them stay.

Send someone who has been on the dole for 24 years to Nepal instead. Should be fun what with China cracking down there at the moment.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Spanky 19 Mar 2008 11:20:45 14,524 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They've been fighting for this for years, it's kinda disgusting that there was even a fight in the first place.

Plubs

• JuanKerr 19 Mar 2008 11:20:59 36,295 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed. I can't believe that this situation has arisen. I'd like to see a Gurkha storm into number 10 with a Kukri and scare the shit out of our sour faced cunt of a Prime Minister.
  • President_Weasel 19 Mar 2008 11:25:17 9,450 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Full pensions for them aren't going to break the bank. The 1997 thing is because before then they weren't based in the UK so the theory is they haven't formed attachments to the country. Then again if they've been in the army for 20-odd years they won't be very attached to Nepal either.
    Sod it, let em live here. They're willing to fight and die for Britain, let em move here when they're done.
  • KingOfSpain 19 Mar 2008 11:27:18 5,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is so fucked up. If you serve a country you should become a citizen.
  • JuanKerr 19 Mar 2008 11:27:45 36,295 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:

Sod it, let em live here. They're willing to fight and die for Britain, let em move here when they're done.

+1
  • GrandTheftApu 19 Mar 2008 11:28:31 6,119 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    Send someone who has been on the dole for 24 years to Nepal instead. Should be fun what with China cracking down there at the moment.

Umm, that's actually Tibet, different country y'know.
  • Dynamize 19 Mar 2008 11:28:36 1,672 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll join the choir. Utterly shameful it's even an issue for them to stay and get a decent pension.
  • Stickman 19 Mar 2008 11:30:10 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Home Office said the rule concerning the 1997 date was introduced because that was when the Gurkhas became a UK-based force, and its soldiers were likely to develop strong ties to Britain.

Under immigration rules the granting of settlement depends on a long period of residence in the UK or family ties, which soldiers discharged before 1997 are unlikely to have

It's not that bad a point to make to be fair.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• KingOfSpain 19 Mar 2008 11:32:06 5,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    The Home Office said the rule concerning the 1997 date was introduced because that was when the Gurkhas became a UK-based force, and its soldiers were likely to develop strong ties to Britain.

Under immigration rules the granting of settlement depends on a long period of residence in the UK or family ties, which soldiers discharged before 1997 are unlikely to have

It's not that bad a point to make to be fair.

Fuck the immigration rules. If the government wanted to make this happen they would find a way.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2008 11:32:21 68,372 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    This is so fucked up. If you serve a country you should become a citizen.

Yep. I assumed you did tbh.
  • Stickman 19 Mar 2008 11:32:50 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Fuck the immigration rules.

This place confuses me sometimes.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• opalw00t 19 Mar 2008 11:33:09 11,169 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GrandTheftApu wrote:
    w00t wrote:

Umm, that's actually Tibet, different country y'know.
    Oops! My mistake. That's what only a few hours of sleep'll do.

/blushes

• KingOfSpain 19 Mar 2008 11:39:47 5,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Fuck the immigration rules.

This place confuses me sometimes.

What I mean is there should be a way around the immigration rules for people who have been in our armed services. If this means there needs to be a new law then so be it. They are just hiding behind the current laws as if it makes everything ok.
  • afghan_jones 19 Mar 2008 11:40:41 3,041 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloody Gurkhas, coming over here, stealing our jobs, scrounging for handouts, getting 3-bed council houses.

Keep britain for the british I say, fuck these immigant scumbags sponging off us hardworking english.

All the money these gurkhas want should be going into the giros and handouts of decent lazy white salt of the earth chav dolescum. We deserve it!

honky power!
  • Stickman 19 Mar 2008 11:46:15 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I see what you're saying and to be honest I'm just playing devil's advocate a bit, but these laws aren't a new thing.

These guys have never been told they'd get citizenship if they joined up. They knew what the deal was and the only reason it's an issue is because we have now decided that ghurkas do get citizenship because of their transfer to a UK force.

I'm of the opinion that the current immigration laws and requirements are doing a decent enough job. If these guys want to apply like everyone else, then best of luck to 'em.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• JuanKerr 19 Mar 2008 11:52:07 36,295 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stickman wrote:

If these guys want to apply like everyone else, then best of luck to 'em.

Do you not think that the fact they've risked their lives for the British Army makes them a special case? This surely differentiates them from a normal person who just fancies living the in UK to make money.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2008 11:52:59
    It'll be a good thing to put down on the application form then.
  • Stickman 19 Mar 2008 11:53:28 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Stickman wrote:

If these guys want to apply like everyone else, then best of luck to 'em.

Do you not think that the fact they've risked their lives for the British Army makes them a special case? This surely differentiates them from a normal person who just fancies living the in UK to make money.

I do think it makes them a special case, and should be taken into account in their application review.

edit - like boab says!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• JuanKerr 19 Mar 2008 11:54:19 36,295 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair enough.
  • KingOfSpain 19 Mar 2008 11:56:04 5,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    I see what you're saying and to be honest I'm just playing devil's advocate a bit, but these laws aren't a new thing.

These guys have never been told they'd get citizenship if they joined up. They knew what the deal was and the only reason it's an issue is because we have now decided that ghurkas do get citizenship because of their transfer to a UK force.

I'm of the opinion that the current immigration laws and requirements are doing a decent enough job. If these guys want to apply like everyone else, then best of luck to 'em.

I think I agree with you, mostly. They did know what they signed up for. However, the government should have changed the law in 97 when we handed Hong Kong back and because they didn't they now find themselves in a bit of a mess.

Giving them citizenship would be the right thing to do nevertheless.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Sep 2008 16:52:36 26,136 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In amongst all the doom mongering the press seems to be full of, how about a little bit of good news.
  • opalw00t 30 Sep 2008 16:54:49 11,169 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yay!

• JuanKerr 30 Sep 2008 16:56:48 36,295 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent news \o/
  • Oh-Bollox 30 Sep 2008 16:59:19 5,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brilliant little blokes and brilliant soldiers. Happy to have them. Some of the medal citations read like a Call of Duty level plays.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2008 17:01:04
    Good stuff, though this is one of those things that shouldn't have come up in the first place.
  • Oh-Bollox 30 Sep 2008 17:03:48 5,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    War Office, 9th November, 1944

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS to:-

No. 10119 Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

In Burma on June 23, 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

So intense was this cross fire that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupants. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous