Learning to play the guitar... Page 28

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• OmniaVincitAmor 18 Jul 2012 19:18:22 1,565 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    Ok thanks, I'll try pick a song, I was thinking The Man Who Sold the World Nirvana cover, well it doesn't matter which version really I suppose. Anywhere I could get the chords, or tabs? I was reading the front page and the ultimate guitar website is pretty good.

Oh wow, I was going to spend 10-15 on a tuner thing but read that you can get a smartphone app. How cool is that!! Saved me some money there and my guitar is now in tune, sounds so much better.

@goodfella - Thanks I'll check the videos out. Still can't get my little finger out the way, I assume that happens when your fingers are stronger?
    Ultimateguitar.com, all I use. Almost everything on there.

If you don't mind U2 one is a really good starter song.

Edited by OmniaVincitAmor at 19:19:32 18-07-2012

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Fab4 18 Jul 2012 19:28:10 6,115 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Simple exercise to build up finger independence (that will allow you to move your pinky out the way ;) ).

On the string nearest the floor, find a position on the neck that you can comfortably place all four fingers on consecutive frets, and be able to keep all 4 positions fretted simultaneously. Try 7-10 to begin with.

Once you find a comfortable position, lift off your first finger while continuing to fret the other 3 positions (no liftsies). Refret with your first finger (again, no liftsies of the other fingers). Then repeat for each of the other fingers.

Once you get the hang of it, try doing the same on each of the other strings.

You can also practice this on any flat surface.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 19:38:26
    This sort of thing?

Sorry being dim but when reading tabs does the number mean the fret or to pluck that many times or soemthing else?
  • FuzzyDuck 18 Jul 2012 19:40:32 4,364 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Apostle

My bad, i misunderstood what you meant!

One good point for playing chords and scales is make sure every note is clean.

Push through the pain, it's totally worth it! :D
  • Fab4 18 Jul 2012 19:45:02 6,115 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More or less, but dropping the idea of moving to another string. (Best to get comfortable on one string first and then worry about transitions imho)

And yes, the numbers in generic tabs mean the fret number to play at. They might even have numbers above the lines which indicate which finger to play with.
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Jul 2012 19:45:37 15,002 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Apostle
    The fret and string mate

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 18 July 2012 19:57:14
    Ok thanks all, been very helpful so far, I'm sure I'll be visiting this thread a lot!

So, you count the frets from which end? I'm sure I used to know this.
  • FuzzyDuck 18 Jul 2012 19:58:47 4,364 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Number means the fret, with 0 meaning an open string (i.e., just plucking the string by itself without fretting any note).
  • FuzzyDuck 18 Jul 2012 20:02:16 4,364 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    Ok thanks all, been very helpful so far, I'm sure I'll be visiting this thread a lot!

So, you count the frets from which end? I'm sure I used to know this.
    0 is the open string, 1 is the first fret below the headstock, with the number ascending the closer you get to the body of the guitar.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 20:10:57
    @FuzzyDuck Cheers mate!
  • Deleted user 20 July 2012 15:04:47
    Erm, I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but I counting the fret and I think playing the right string and the songs I've attempted don't song right? I tried Pretender by the Foo's (very recognisable intro) and a U2 one. I tuned the guitar using a app the other day, pretty sure I got it right.
  • warlockuk 20 Jul 2012 15:30:55 19,193 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Could be the songs are in a weird tuning, I don't know if they use the E-Standard tuning.

The markings on the guitar fretboard are a shortcut by the way. when you get 2 dots on the board on one fret space that's the octave - 12th fret and sometimes 24th if you have that many.

You usually get dots on the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th frets (and 15, 17 etc) but some guitars also dot the 1st fret... which always struck me as a bit unnecessary.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FuzzyDuck 20 Jul 2012 17:33:47 4,364 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Apostle

Had a quick Google there and that Foo's song is in E-Standard.

Are you having trouble with just one particular string sounding odd, or is everything off? There's a whole list of variables - the tuning app might be a bit crap, the tabs might off, if the guitar's had a few days worth of good use or even just taken a slight knock then it might need to be retuned.

Are you just playing the guitar cleanly without effects? You could be playing a song note-for-note, but it could still sound off as setting up your effects and amp to sound like a particular band is an art in itself.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2012 19:52:34
    Ok cheers guys, hadn't considered the tone and amp and all those things. I'll try and find another song.

I've just been working on finger exercises when I get a few minutes. Will be heading to the library next week to find some books and what not, maybe a dvd if I'm lucky.

Enjoying it so far though. On occasion when I've hit random strings in order that sounds something like a tune, it feels good!
  • warlockuk 20 Jul 2012 20:35:15 19,193 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Guitar Pro. All the way. Greatest app for learning songs ever.
    Especially when you're in a death metal band

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 21 July 2012 09:51:01
    Is it on android? I'll have a look, thanks.

This seems to be the one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arobasmusic.guitarpro&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hcm9iYXNtdXNpYy5ndWl0YXJwcm8iXQ..

At the moment I just want to see where to put my fingers, get a feel for it and see if I keep at it or not. This looks useful.

Edited by Apostle at 09:55:18 21-07-2012
  • warlockuk 21 Jul 2012 11:16:48 19,193 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tend to use the Desktop PC version of Guitar Pro 5 as they broke something in Guitar Pro 6 that makes it fundamentally unusable so I never bothered to upgrade.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FuzzyDuck 21 Jul 2012 14:14:08 4,364 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A good way to hold interest is to split your time up into different types of playing and learning (and even have time where you're taking in a bit of theory without being near a guitar), so maybe spend some of your time learning a scale, another time for learning chords, then practice those things, then try finding a song that uses them, then just dick around and noodle about. These'll all add up over time.

Keep mixing it up and don't get annoyed at yourself if you do one thing for the detriment of another for a few days. The important thing is keep it interesting for yourself and remember it's a hobby to have fun with and not a profession/academic endeavour (those latter options do exist if you feel so inclined down the road).
  • JCHilton 5 Dec 2012 04:31:33 1,488 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I've decided to reinvigorate my love of music I'll pick up/ learn a new instrument; And considering I've always had a [healthy] lust of the guitar it's a natural fit. Problem being (And I'll be first to admit) I have little first hand experience with guitars. I don't know much beyond the basics, so that makes choosing a guitar quite challening.

I'm pretty confident I'm determined enough to stick with the learning/education part- So I'm looking for a decent acoustic guitar, above the quality of a mass produced "Beginners guitar" (I don't much enjoy the idea that I'll be putting up more cash for a better guitar 6 months down the line having learnt to play the darn thing better).

So any recommendations? Having done some research I've been thrown in many directions, from Seagull S6's, Washburns's to Yamaha FG's. I'd appreciate those with more experience to kindly throw me some advice.
  • jonsaan 5 Dec 2012 07:30:06 25,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can't really go wrong with Yamaha in my experience.

FCUTA!

• GuiltySpark 5 Dec 2012 07:38:45 6,431 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On a bass, how do I stop the string that I'm muting with my thumb from making a noise when I take my thumb off it? Am I just leaning too hard on it as I'm striking the other strings?

I sound really dumb.

Get bent.

• jonsaan 5 Dec 2012 07:44:43 25,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How hard are you resting on it? Is it bending and then sounding out as a full note, or is the noise just an overtone?

Rest your thumb on the body of the bass where the pickup is instead?

Video what you are doing and link it.

FCUTA!

• GuiltySpark 5 Dec 2012 07:54:14 6,431 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's 8.00am, I'm not about to whip the bass and camera out ha.

I guess fairly hard but I am just literally resting on it. I've only just really started, I'm following this: http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-technique/plucking/

Say if I was plucking the A string, I'd be resting on the E string, then if I'm moving down to the D string I'd rest on the A string, which in turn mutes it.

But even lightly, seems to make a noise when I take my thumb off the strings. With such emphasis on keeping the damn strings quiet I can only assume I'm doing something wrong.

Get bent.

• warlockuk 5 Dec 2012 08:22:16 19,193 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I rest my thumb on the edge of the pickup instead of the strings tbh. Not sure if this vid'll show you what I mean - here. At the start you might notice my thumb's resting on the pickup or occasionally the body (like when you're playing pool or some shit, I guess)... I never really rest my thumbs on the strings. If I have to mute it'll either be part of my palm or I'll mute with my left hand, depends really.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 5 Dec 2012 08:27:29 19,193 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm, vid's not really very clear... even the recent Gods vid doesn't really show what my thumb's up to unless you can zoomy/fullscreen. Gah.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 5 Dec 2012 08:29:54 19,193 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This guy's thumb position

Incidentally - check his channel out; there's some awesome little tips and stuff on there for bassists who use their fingers instead of a pick... lots of things from speed patterns, stretch exercises to slaps 'n' arpeggios. \o/

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• GuiltySpark 5 Dec 2012 08:48:44 6,431 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers guys, I'll check 'em out a bit later.

And by "guys" I apparently meant warlock, who I thought was three separate people.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 08:49:27 05-12-2012

Get bent.

• jonsaan 5 Dec 2012 08:53:30 25,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thinking about this I think I probably would remute the offending string with a finger on my
    Left hand as I moved position, or use the heel of my right to damp the strings as Warlock mentioned. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point.

FCUTA!

• GuiltySpark 5 Dec 2012 09:04:45 6,431 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That sounds like a lot of work to keep one string quiet which I'm already muting!

I'll work it out, just don't want to develop faults early on. Cheers.

Get bent.

• warlockuk 5 Dec 2012 09:43:58 19,193 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Check out some Victor Wooten videos, he occasionally covers hand positions and stuff. Between showing off his ridiculous slap technique. It'll be fine. :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 29 First / Last