Learning to play the guitar... Page 25

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• bigshot316 20 Jan 2010 12:27:37 24,528 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah it's not that; tried it with a couple of leads :-(

smoggo wrote:
    At weekends when my wife is away I like to wear her stockings and put Stickle bricks up my bottom whilst listening to Ke$ha songs.

• Maturin 20 Jan 2010 12:29:37 3,236 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think you'll need someone to look at it. With complicated electronic amps it could be anything really.

With a simple tube amp I'd have just said try some new tubes.
  • jonsaan 20 Jan 2010 12:33:00 25,449 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like it is facked mate. Take it back. This has happened on lots of amps in the past for me. If it's valve driven then it might be worth changing them but I'd wager it's solid state and simply facked. Probably bad soldering on the board inside.

FCUTA!

• Maturin 20 Jan 2010 12:34:05 3,236 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Sounds like it is facked mate. Take it back. This has happened on lots of amps in the past for me. If it's valve driven then it might be worth changing them but I'd wager it's solid state and simply facked. Probably bad soldering on the board inside.

It is a solid state.
  • bigshot316 20 Jan 2010 12:47:21 24,528 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah nuts.

I bought it for 50 off a friend who hadn't touched it for 2 years as he has about 6.

I'd be able to get my money back no probs, but it sounded so sexy and I was hoping I may just be able to get it fixed.

smoggo wrote:
    At weekends when my wife is away I like to wear her stockings and put Stickle bricks up my bottom whilst listening to Ke$ha songs.

• jonsaan 20 Jan 2010 12:57:59 25,449 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's probably a simple repair job. Shouldn't cost the earth.

FCUTA!

• DigitalDelay 20 Jan 2010 13:29:27 230 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You could try this - Get a can (spray) of Electrical switch cleaner or contact cleaner from an electrical shop. Its a fine lube that evaporates nicely. It could be dusty volume or tone pots (knobs). If you pull all the 'knobs' off the front of your amp (they should come off without much trouble) then give each of the metal posts a light spray, using a cloth to remove excess residue, then turn the knob left and right lots and work the spray in.

Do this with all of them. When sorted, put your knobs back on and give it a try. I do this with my fender amp from time to time. It gets used lots, but doesn't seem to like the smoke I puff at it.

Just a thought if it's been sat around for a while. Good luck
  • Maturin 20 Jan 2010 13:46:31 3,236 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's really good advice. I sorted an old amp I used to gig with the same way.
  • bigshot316 20 Jan 2010 13:59:41 24,528 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the advice Digi!!
    I'll give it a try tonight.

And if not, I just called my local music shop and the guy there said he should be able to fix it.

Just looked on Ebay and they are going for around 180, so it's still worth it.

Thanks again for the advice!

smoggo wrote:

• jonsaan 20 Jan 2010 14:15:29 25,449 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alternatively just give up playing the guitar you tone deaf weasel.

;)

FCUTA!

• Fab4 20 Jan 2010 14:59:00 6,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK I can get a set of replacement springs for my Floyd Rose Tremolo? I actually only need one, but wouldnt care if I needed to buy a full set.

Not sure if there's any differences between the springs used now and when my trem was made (its original, off an Ibanez RS440) though.
  • Maturin 20 Jan 2010 16:18:22 3,236 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PM me your address and I'll post you one for free.
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Jul 2010 10:57:27 39,570 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Has anyone tried playing Flamenco chords? They are very easy and much easier to make tunes out of than the standard basic chords.

Worth a try for noobs like me I think.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• boo 15 Jul 2010 16:26:01 11,950 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Might be starting some bass tuition through a scheme at work. I can get my bass in on the tube, but lugging an amp, even my small practice amp, isn't going to be practical.

Given that to start with, I'm going to be more interested in technique rather than tone, does anyone know if you can get one of those mini amps like this, that are suitable for bass?

Not sure whether I'd just rupture the driver if I put a bass through that particular one.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Thingy 15 Jul 2010 17:10:51 5,453 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've never seen a bass amp smaller than 'very big and very heavy' to be honest.

Funnily enough, I've been looking to get a new bass myself, thought I might get one of these to obviate the need to lug around a big amp. For 116.08 plus a hard case, it could well suit your need too. It also has a pick-up in it if you ever wanted to plug it into your amp too.
  • boo 16 Jul 2010 09:49:25 11,950 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers Thingy, but I think I should learn how to play before I go buying any more basses!
    Had a look last night and saw an Ibanez mini bass amp which might do the job in the short term.

Edit - Right up to the point where I noticed 'No longer available!'

Just Another Lego Blog

• Captain_Peach 25 Jul 2010 23:27:33 2,852 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started playing myself.

My friend who plays is teaching me for now however I'll be moving on to proffesional lessons soon enough.

So far I can play House of the Rising sun and Knocking on Heavens door :)
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jul 2010 23:49:42 17,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    So far I can play House of the Rising sun and Knocking on Heavens door :)

Good for you! May I suggest that you move away from both of those pretty quickly, I played a lot of House of the Rising Son when I was starting and I fucking hate that thing now. Same with Stairway. Could be just me but when learning I reckon it helps to try out quite a few different songs and keep mixing it up.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Captain_Peach 26 Jul 2010 22:31:49 2,852 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think I'll ever get bored of House of the Rising sun as I simply love the song and playing it is so satisfying but your right I'm trying to learn as many songs as I can, though I am trying to master them before moving on, rather than just grasping them and leaving them.
  • KingOfSpain 28 Jul 2010 14:28:07 5,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I'm looking for a cheap practice amp - any tips or amps that I should stay away from?

Was looking into the iRig thingy for the iPhone but I think I'd prefer a proper amp.

• buggrit 28 Jul 2010 14:30:00 5,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    So I'm looking for a cheap practice amp - any tips or amps that I should stay away from?

Was looking into the iRig thingy for the iPhone but I think I'd prefer a proper amp.

Second-hand Line6, buy on condition. That or an Orange Crush 15. :)
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Jul 2010 14:37:15 17,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    I don't think I'll ever get bored of House of the Rising sun as I simply love the song and playing it is so satisfying but your right I'm trying to learn as many songs as I can, though I am trying to master them before moving on, rather than just grasping them and leaving them.

Good on you then, from my experience I stuck with songs too long and even if I liked them in the first place they'd get boring after a while. I'm something of a musical magpie though! Mastering a song is good, it's funny how much more people respond to songs than tunes, I can play all manner of styles and do some pretty technical stuff but no one cares but if I started playing a song people knew everyone would think I was God on guitar.

You are a factory of sadness.

• FWB 28 Jul 2010 14:49:57 45,652 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Line6s are great.
  • KingOfSpain 28 Jul 2010 14:53:22 5,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks guys.

What sort of power should I be looking at? 10-15w?
  • FWB 28 Jul 2010 14:55:56 45,652 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Prac? 10-15w is plenty.

If you get a Line6 GX you get a huge array of awesome effects and an internal amp (you need headphones to hear it though). I love it for recording (sorts out your interface since it plugs right into the computer USB), though I do output it to a Frontman (which is also pretty decent).

I have the UX1, which has a mic input too.
  • Fab4 28 Jul 2010 15:15:27 6,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:

What do you mean by cheap? Do you want a tube one, for example?

Edit: I have a Blackstar HT-5 Combo. Its only 5W but it would tear your head off :-D
  • KingOfSpain 28 Jul 2010 15:19:09 5,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    KingOfSpain wrote:

To be honest, I don't really know! :(

I don't want to be spending too much. It will just be for my own ears only for now and maybe a little bit of jamming with my bro when I get a bit better.

Don't really want to spend much more than 70 - 80
  • FWB 28 Jul 2010 15:22:47 45,652 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is my prac amp for the output of my UX1. Does the job and can probably be found cheaper. As I said, if you're okay with playing with headphones, get a Line6 Pod. The effects are brilliant and it'll sort out your interface for recording.
  • Fab4 28 Jul 2010 15:23:49 6,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    KingOfSpain wrote:

To be honest, I don't really know! :(

I don't want to be spending too much. It will just be for my own ears only for now and maybe a little bit of jamming with my bro when I get a bit better.

Don't really want to spend much more than 70 - 80

No worries. That's tube ones out then.

Here's a list of cheap solid-stae amps.

Its a good site to get an overview of what is available, and you can select different parameters for searching, e.g. on price, on wattage etc. Then you can check out other sites if one looks interesting.
  • KingOfSpain 28 Jul 2010 15:28:47 5,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool thanks Fab, I'll check out that site, it look interesting.

FWB, that's the amp I was looking at before I posted here, I will check out the Line6 Pod too. Thanks
  • Page

of 29 First / Last