Learning to play the guitar... Page 24

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 16 Sep 2009 21:06:43 17,221 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I guess you might be due a trip to Denmark st to try one out. I imagine Rockers have one.

You are a factory of sadness.

• FWB 16 Sep 2009 21:17:43 44,858 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, need to have a gander but a) I'm not the greatest slide guitarist (part of the reason to get one) and b) still not sure what I should be looking for when it comes to choosing one.
  • Mr_Sleep 16 Sep 2009 21:36:37 17,221 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In regards of slide guitar, open tunings are by far the easiest way to play slide. It's what Son House did and he's an important pioneer. Open G is a good one. That's what Death Letter is tuned in iirc.

You are a factory of sadness.

• FWB 16 Sep 2009 21:38:52 44,858 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, makes it a lot easier. Should be how I practise, but I'm lazy.
  • pinkds 2 Oct 2009 13:02:57 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any one know of a good place selling hard guitar cases rather then soft ones? - do they come in different sizes? Preferably I'd love one of those old fashioned ones with funky red lining. Any advice?
  • bigshot316 2 Oct 2009 13:09:34 24,137 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I need a new guitar, but Im a bit skint.

Been playing for about 8 years, but aside from knowing HOW to play them, I know fuck all about guitars.

I had a go on my friends brothers the other day, and it was magic. The strings were so easy to play, and the sound was phenomenal coming out of his 600 amp with built in effects compared to my Fender Squire plaing through a 20 year old fucked Marshall Amp.

I instantly felt 50% better at the guitar, everything sounded smoother, sharper, sexier and awesome.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Basically I'm wanting advice on a nice, decent electric guitar with good action, and a decent amp- but on the cheaper side.

Any advice?

smoggo wrote:
    At weekends when my wife is away I like to wear her stockings and put Stickle bricks up my bottom whilst listening to Ke$ha songs.

• pinkds 2 Oct 2009 13:13:06 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone know of a good place selling hard guitar cases rather then soft ones? - do they come in different sizes? Preferably I'd love one of those old fashioned ones with funky red lining. Any advice?
  • jonsaan 2 Oct 2009 14:03:46 25,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Depends what you are going to do with your guitar. The daddy of all hardcases are the Hiscox range. I've taken mine all over the world, they are the nuts.

Here

FCUTA!

• crispyduckman 2 Oct 2009 14:32:43 1,886 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:
    I need a new guitar, but Im a bit skint.

Been playing for about 8 years, but aside from knowing HOW to play them, I know fuck all about guitars.

I had a go on my friends brothers the other day, and it was magic. The strings were so easy to play, and the sound was phenomenal coming out of his 600 amp with built in effects compared to my Fender Squire plaing through a 20 year old fucked Marshall Amp.

I instantly felt 50% better at the guitar, everything sounded smoother, sharper, sexier and awesome.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Basically I'm wanting advice on a nice, decent electric guitar with good action, and a decent amp- but on the cheaper side.

Any advice?
    I've said it a few times but the PRS (Paul Reed Smith) SE range are the best reasonably priced guitars around. That's the SE range not the standard 2,000+ range. I particularly recommend the PRS SE Singlecut at about 350/400 for blues/metal/rock but there should be something to suit your style. There's even a brilliant semi-solid model.

I say all that as someone who's been playing for more than 20 years and has a collection of guitars including Gibson, Fender, Taylor and custom boutique guitars.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• mcmonkeyplc 2 Oct 2009 14:35:15 39,471 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haven't practiced in ages. Need to get back on it!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• bigshot316 2 Oct 2009 14:45:01 24,137 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers CDM, I'll bear that in mind :-)

smoggo wrote:
    At weekends when my wife is away I like to wear her stockings and put Stickle bricks up my bottom whilst listening to Ke$ha songs.

• tombo 2 Oct 2009 14:47:31 2,100 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Depends what you are going to do with your guitar. The daddy of all hardcases are the Hiscox range. I've taken mine all over the world, they are the nuts.

Here

Seconded. We've got 3 of these in the family and they're great.
  • pinkds 2 Oct 2009 14:59:28 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    agh! There are no prices on that website and looks like no stores over 100 miles of Cambridge :)
  • pinkds 2 Oct 2009 14:59:44 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /walks to nearest music shop

They look cool though
  • warlockuk 2 Oct 2009 16:10:36 19,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BC Rich Stealth ftw. \o/

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Salaman 2 Oct 2009 16:19:11 19,312 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The local nearest shop I looked to get a case at had crap soft ones and seemed a bit perplexed I wanted a hard one.
    They only had an ugly flightcase type thing for proper travel and touring and whatnot and a cheapish "Stagg" one which I ended up taking for lack of alternatives.
    I hope your local shop is better.
  • DoctorZoidberg 6 Jan 2010 13:41:26 214 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:

Any advice?

I'd recommend thoroughly a Dan Electro 63'.

They are cheap as chips and really very very decent.

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/dano-63-134136/review

There is also a link down on the right about the best guitars under 300...

And don't be so quick to write of Squire. They have a bad street rep, but there higher end (200+) models are actually really well built.
  • warlockuk 6 Jan 2010 13:58:02 19,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Squires aren't bad. They're just cheap Fenders; they're not as crap as shite like the Stagg guitars or that company ripping off BC Rich + Jackson's designs (probably also Stagg)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Maturin 6 Jan 2010 14:06:44 3,121 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 200+ Squires have a fab reputation. I frequent many a hardcore musician forum where folks are quite happy to buy Squires then stick some decent pickups in them.
  • kiroquai 14 Jan 2010 15:06:43 262 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup - my first guitar was a Squier Strat and I still play it to this day. Very easy to play, sounds pretty decent through and amp and doesn't cost much.

Just got myself a Parker Fly Deluxe and it's insane; the fretboard is really smooth and it makes playing really enjoyable. You can also get all sorts of crazy industrial noises out of the thing without even needing to plug it into an effects box/pedal.
  • jonsaan 14 Jan 2010 17:29:04 25,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two of the guys in my band worked in the parker fly factory way back when. Those things are weird. :D

FCUTA!

• Blaketown 14 Jan 2010 17:41:45 4,813 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm looking to buy a guitar for my 8 year old who has become obsessed with learning to play.

Any advice?

Brap, brap, old chap.

• buggrit 14 Jan 2010 17:47:40 5,179 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You could try one of the Dean Baby-series - 3/4 scale bodies with full-scale necks, and cool as fuck :) Not too spendy either, and if he discards it you'll have a cool guitar that you can play yourself!
  • sirtacos 15 Jan 2010 10:37:01 7,337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just changed my acoustic guitar strings for the first time in over a year.
    It sounds incomparably better now, but my fingers were used to the rough dullness of my old strings. I'm getting calluses all over again.
  • blimeyguvnor87 15 Jan 2010 12:40:24 209 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    hi all,

i am too in the same boat of learning the guitar. i bought an excellent beginners guitar!

it was a classical acoustic guitar from Jose Ferrer, desinged by teachers for students and got 52 weeks of online 'tuition'....wasnt too pricey either. it was from the local music store and they set-it up etc...

worth looking into for your n00bs out there! (like me)
  • DoctorZoidberg 20 Jan 2010 11:09:17 214 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    I just changed my acoustic guitar strings for the first time in over a year.
    It sounds incomparably better now, but my fingers were used to the rough dullness of my old strings. I'm getting calluses all over again.

You can't beat the sound of new strings, so bright and vibrant. Too me it's a subtle reminder of why I play acoustical rather than electric most of the time. I've got in a habit that everytime I change strings I play Here comes the sun, because there isn't a song like it for bright new string super sound! It also gets rid of the niggles and any loose slack that you might need to "break in".

• bigshot316 20 Jan 2010 11:42:46 24,137 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anybody here know anything about Amps? I have a problem with mine.

smoggo wrote:

• Maturin 20 Jan 2010 11:45:42 3,121 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:
    Does anybody here know anything about Amps? I have a problem with mine.

What kind of problem? Is it a solid state or tube amp?
  • bigshot316 20 Jan 2010 11:55:26 24,137 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Erm it's a Marshall MG50DFX.

Basically, it got so that at first, it was really really quiet, and then after a few minutes it would suddenly kick in back to normal, usually making me crap myself.

Now though, it is just quiet all the time. i have tried gently thumping it, and removing the board and cleaning it but can't figure it out.

Any ideas what it could be, and if its gonna be worth getting it fixed?

smoggo wrote:

• Maturin 20 Jan 2010 11:57:52 3,121 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cable? I had a dodgy guitar lead doing exactly that last week.
  • Page

of 29 First / Last