Learning to play the guitar... Page 3

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• klanger13 18 Mar 2008 16:34:38 61 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Vai!! Get Ynwigie (or however you spell it) on here next for some real competition to see how many notes you can play in a minute.

Have to say that I like Vais work from Crossroads (the film not the series) although its nothing compared to the soundtrack by Ry Cooder.

Mr Sleep wrote:
    Oh and whatever you do, dont use this guy as an inspiration ;-) Technique he has, musicality is lacking. Though you do have to respect a guy who puts his fingers through his hair after a strum ;-)

• istandfreed 18 Mar 2008 16:39:01 2,388 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bcolter wrote:
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    Oh and whatever you do, dont use this guy as an inspiration ;-) Technique he has, musicality is lacking. Though you do have to respect a guy who puts his fingers through his hair after a strum ;-)

his fingers are like 6" long! I will confess, his mentor is my guitar hero.

Joe

Satriani is an incredible guitar player, i prefer him to Vai he's more accessible. Just pruchased to tickets to see him in concert with a 60 minute meet & greet with him in dublin \o/. Mindblowing guitar rock ahead.
  • Mageme 18 Mar 2008 16:55:01 1,993 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure if it's just me but I find learning guitar much harder than piano. Not in the least because it wrecks my dainty-girly fingers... but I must persist!!!

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Deleted user 18 March 2008 16:55:23
    istandfreed wrote:
    bcolter wrote:
    Mr Sleep wrote:

his fingers are like 6" long! I will confess, his mentor is my guitar hero.

Joe

Satriani is an incredible guitar player, i prefer him to Vai he's more accessible. Just pruchased to tickets to see him in concert with a 60 minute meet & greet with him in dublin \o/. Mindblowing guitar rock ahead.

You are very lucky my friend.

/would give left nut to meet Satriani
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Mar 2008 17:04:11 16,850 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mageme wrote:
    Not sure if it's just me but I find learning guitar much harder than piano. Not in the least because it wrecks my dainty-girly fingers... but I must persist!!!

There's also issues regarding the fretting of guitar, it's much harder to learn musical theories on guitar than piano. On a piano the idea of flatted thirds to make minor chords and added sevenths make much more sense because you can see the notes in front of you and apply that knowledge straight away.

Where as with a guitar you have to attune yourself to the idea of being able to alter tones and semi tones in different positions, took me a while to realise this problem.

You are a factory of sadness.

• mcmonkeyplc 21 Mar 2008 17:52:27 39,387 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The A chord is such a fucking bitch! I cant get it right. I keep buzzing the first string!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• daithi90 22 Mar 2008 00:58:22 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    The A chord is such a fucking bitch! I cant get it right. I keep buzzing the first string!

F was my problem chord! Look out for it! The cunt took my ages to get right!
  • Fat-Boy 22 Mar 2008 01:54:45 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm glad you all agree that I am a guitar god.

/struggles with straight face.

F7 is my problem chord, even now. E7#9? No probs. F7? Fucking muted D string!
  • warlockuk 22 Mar 2008 02:05:14 19,134 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Fuck the A open chord right in it's arse. A minor :p

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Pirotic Moderator 7 Apr 2008 21:44:49 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got a guitar today for my birthday and bloody hell my fingers are killing me. Tried to learn the first 3 cords, the last 2 I could do (abiet I had to press down so hard it hurt my fingers like hell) and the first one I only managed to do once or twice without having one of the strings buzzing.

A major i think it is (DGB strings on 2nd fret), I have to put my index finger on the D string (the 3rd along from biggest to smallest, thats D right?) and it buzz's like a bitch unless I have my finger more than half way down the box and press so hard it leaves a huge imprint in my finger.

Any advice? All the other strings I don't find too bad (well, I find them difficult but get the feeling I can eventually manage it with practice) but this bloody D string on the 2nd fret is killing me, even if I press it down super hard, if it's half way up the chord box it buzz's.

guitar problem? or me being stupid?

going to rest my fingers now :(

Cheers!
  • Deleted user 7 April 2008 21:48:29
    Strings might be a bit low - most guitars need a little bridge adjustment when new so it's hardly surprising. Technique-wise it's also good to press down on the string as close to the fret as possible to reduce buzz. What is it - acoustic or electric?

• Derblington 7 Apr 2008 22:04:29 21,309 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How are you learning?I've had mine a couple of months now (acoustic) and haven't really touched it - something I want to rectify.
  • malteaserhead 7 Apr 2008 22:07:03 13,444 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh

I only started about a few weeks ago and A major and G major (as is my limited understanding) are for people with fingers as narrow as straws or some kind of weird crab hand.

/crab walks out of thread
  • Master_Miller 7 Apr 2008 22:08:00 1,642 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My low E string broke (;_;) due to a bit of overstrumming. Shame too cause I was having a good time. Anyone have any experience changing strings yourself?

Also, Piro, practice through the pain (and God will there be pain) and soon you'll be pressing strings like nobody's buisiness.
  • malteaserhead 7 Apr 2008 22:11:25 13,444 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iam wrote:
    You can just play an A with one finger across the three (a la barre), but I'm not sure it's necessarily easier.

there is that but I'm trying to learn chords and scales without the shortcuts *

@piro
    the only thing I do to eliminate buzz is to check each string in the chord individually and you'll usually find the culprit... which is what you did

redundo man strikes again

*denotes that shortcut may not be at all easy to play
  • Salaman 7 Apr 2008 22:17:01 18,870 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Piro, the "action" on hyour guitar could be too high (strings too far away from the fretboard) and need adjusting.

There's several ways to play the A chord. Experiment a bit.

I only started a few months ago. I did a bit of practise so i could get used to playing without sore fingers but then quickly got a teache before I actually learned myself a wrong technique. If you're an absolute beginne rit;s worth investing in a few lessons, even if it's only 3 or 4 to make sure you get the basics right.

• Mr_Sleep 7 Apr 2008 22:18:48 16,850 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Master_Miller wrote:
    My low E string broke (;_;) due to a bit of overstrumming. Shame too cause I was having a good time. Anyone have any experience changing strings yourself?

Erm, on a steel string, put the bridge part in first. Then string the head part up next. There's a few different ways of doing this. You could check out frets.com, that's a pretty useful site.

I always just get the string fairly taut and make a tie (same as the first process of doing up shoes) around the machine head, then put through the hole and tighten up. Might be worth looking up a guide on youtube, I'm sure it'll help.

It is one of the most time consuming parts at first and it's definitely worth getting a machine head winder, saves a lot of wrist ache. Oh and as far as i know it should usually be tighten towards you and untighten away when you turn the machine head, if that makes any sense.

Also, Piro, practice through the pain (and God will there be pain) and soon you'll be pressing strings like nobody's buisiness.

Good advice, though I'd say you're possibly pressing too hard, if the guitar requires that much effort it might indeed need the action lowering, check frets.com again for info on doing that but a professional would be a better idea. It might also just be technique, strings really shouldn't need to be pressed that hard. I'd say test each string to see how much pressure you need to stop the buzzing and see if you can replicate that tension within the chord.

However if you're also getting pain in your wrist then that just comes with the territory, I've been playing for five years now and I still get pain when barring for a few minutes on a normal acoustic.

/check the guitar nerd

• malteaserhead 7 Apr 2008 22:19:55 13,444 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iam wrote:
    But I always sorta said "fuck that if you can get away with it". And it does well enough. I mean, no one's ever gonna call me a virtuoso, but I can play a bit.

Oh there is no doubt that I'll go that route too in time but my good intentions are holding up. well for another week anyway. ;)

I think I know about 7 chords well, and about another 12 almost well, so I'm thinking of moving on to some simple tunes that change between 3 or 4 of them. Nirvana?

Maybe a few lessons would be the ticket...
  • Master_Miller 7 Apr 2008 22:23:16 1,642 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks Mr. Sleep. You am the greetest.
  • malteaserhead 7 Apr 2008 22:30:00 13,444 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D
    Cheers
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Apr 2008 22:31:57 16,850 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Master_Miller wrote:
    Thanks Mr. Sleep. You am the greetest.

This for instance looks pretty comprehensive, weight in at over eleven minutes as it does! Notice the Martin product placement too. Four minutes on is pretty essential. He does it slightly differently but I'd guess he's right.

Oh and yeah I think lessons would be good, for musicality as well, some music theory coupled with the basics of guitar will move you forward much quicker, I was a self taught fella and in hindsight I'd have much preferred having some lessons

There's so many songs you can play with just three chords so go for it :-)

• Mr_Sleep 7 Apr 2008 22:45:37 16,850 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Guitaring gurners are so funny. He's not too bad but all that wince at a high note stuff always makes me laugh. The thing is that once you plug in an electric and start bending notes it just starts to happen, it requires resistance!

The link's quite interesting some of that is straight forward. I mean, he's skilled and he's quick but the chords he's playing tend to be transposed versions of fairly standard chords, so he just hoicks them up the neck. I have started doing similar things and it can sound really nice, or crap depending on if you make tonal adjustments and stuff.

And this stuff does indeed require dedication, however it doesn't have to be a big task, play in that time when there's nothing on telly and one is a bit aimless. Though it'll eat into your gaming time but playing guitar is just better!

• Pirotic Moderator 8 Apr 2008 08:32:11 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the tip about just using one finger, couldn't quite manage it as I need to leave the 6th (the ickle one) open. Tried doing the evil chord again this morning and managed it a few more times, I basically have to start it half way down the chord box for it not to buzz which creates the problem of fitting my other 2 fingers on the next 2 strings under that.

How do I do about lowering the strings on an acoustic so they are closer to the frets? I'm guessing that'd make it easier as I wouldn't have to press down so hard.

The ends of my fingers have bloody big indents in them atm :(
  • warlockuk 8 Apr 2008 08:58:17 19,134 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Any advice? All the other strings I don't find too bad (well, I find them difficult but get the feeling I can eventually manage it with practice) but this bloody D string on the 2nd fret is killing me, even if I press it down super hard, if it's half way up the chord box it buzz's.

guitar problem? or me being stupid?

going to rest my fingers now :(

Cheers!
    That's fairly normal tbh. I've heard of people soaking their fingertips in rubbing alcohol or something to harden 'em up... basically they'll man-up themselves over time.

One thing you can do to cheat a little is detune the guitar, say, to D - every string down two halftones. You might get a little fretbuzz if you're unlucky, but the tension in the strings (and some of the impact on your fingers) will be reduced. Plus you can chug along to death metal.

Master_Miller wrote:
    I've had a few break and nearly ping me in the face heh. Though that's the higher ones that normally break straight through - with the thicker ones it tends to be the inner wire that goes first so they just kinda go PNK! and unravel. :D

Changing strings is fairly straight forward. My advice is to fit the string and then tune it a couple of notes below where it'll be.
    Then grab hold of the string in the middle of the guitar, pull it up away from the guitar (not too much) and just kinda move it back and forth (as if strumming with it) to stretch the string a little. I find that new strings tend to stretch as you break 'em in so instead of spending every 30 seconds retuning I just give 'em a bit of a manual yank. :D

Then tune as normal. Job done.
    Just don't break 'em or be too overzealous. :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 8 Apr 2008 09:18:28 19,134 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's possibly just your strings or intonation.

On one or two guitars of mine the B-string sounds a bit plinky and weird. Might be the nut, actually - can't be arse looking. But it's been ok before so it might just be the string or something is out.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• bloke 8 Apr 2008 10:04:38 1,489 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iam wrote:
    I saw this guy play a Taylor clinc a while back, and asked him afterwards how often he played/practised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddcCe_7yAms

"All the time, unless I'm asleep or eating".

Not sure I have the energy, but still... :o

Not bad, eh - I particularly like the way he's creating and playing new harmonics.

His "What a friend I have in Jesus" is somewhat eclipsed by the Martin Taylor version of that number which is one of his 'party pieces'.

That is truely Godlike.

Actually, if you play the guitar, try to see him play live before you die - yes he's a bit a Scotch git, but holy mother of god, he's earned the right to be arrogant about his technique.
  • bloke 8 Apr 2008 10:08:11 1,489 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Depending on how your guitar is stringed or whatever, I think there is always a note or two that'll sound really weird. Apparently.

Time to buy a more expensive guitar :-(

Even 'though my very favourite guitar cost me a fiver, by and large you get what you pay for.

The only guitars I have that are 100% in tune all the way up the neck on all strings are the more pricey ones.

• pjmaybe 8 Apr 2008 10:11:11 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I spent years learning on a really nasty cheap secondhand guitar that I'd bought when I was in my first band. After a while I got so sick of the high bridge and finger-cutting way the thing was strung that I smashed it after a gig, and ended up shelling out for a proper Gibson LP goldie.

That thing. Oh christ, it was like fingering a young Jenny Agutter after spending years with your digits up Grotbags.
  • Page

of 29 First / Last