Iain M Banks - 'Culture series' Page 6

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Psychotext 30 Jun 2011 23:12:18 52,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye, not entirely sure where the sad vision comes from. Basically a society largely unconcerned with death, illness, gender, sexuality... and much more. Sounds full of win to me.
  • otto Moderator 30 Jun 2011 23:29:33 49,291 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think Razz read the Wasp Factory and extrapolated. ;D

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• steadynedy 24 Jul 2011 20:04:15 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I read the Culture series in publication order (because im like that), so Consider Phelbas, Player of Games, Use of Weapons, Excession, Inversions (i count this as a Culture novel, though it isnt stated as one.) and Look to Windward so far.

I always find i only really appreciate how good they are after i've finished the book. Esp Use of Weapons and Excession. While reading i find myself struggling through not really understanding exactly what's happening.

My fav is Use of Weapons....actually wanted to read it again straight after, and did. Never done that with any other book before. I'm glad i read CP and PoG before UoW as i think they provide a better introduction to the Culture compared to some of the later books.
  • O11Y 24 Jul 2011 21:08:49 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've read the first two you mentioned, although at the time I didn't realise they were the first two. Brilliant books, and much better than his regular stuff in my humble opinion (aside from The Wasp Factory).

I also read a good fantasy book that he wrote about an assassin. I can't remember the title but if you google around it will come up - well worth a go.
  • steadynedy 25 Jul 2011 13:23:42 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks ill have a look. If you liked the 1st two then give Use of Weapons a try. Brilliant brilliant book
  • O11Y 25 Jul 2011 14:18:50 103 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tell a lie;

After a bit of googling myself I don't think it was actually an assassin. I believe the book I'm thinking of is called "Inversions". Although he has written another one about an assassin which seems highly rated so you're laughing either way
  • Ajay 8 Aug 2011 20:14:02 2,412 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Polished off Surface Detail last night, and following the general consensus I really enjoyed it. Some of the best characters in the series so far, both in terms of un/likeability and well-roundedness.

Back when I read my first Culture book it took me me a bit of time to accept a, by modern standards, invincible and utterly omnipotent civilisation as engaging (I tend to prefer my sci-fi more grounded, but given my first was Use of Weapons where it's less prevalent probably helped) but I really warmed to it quickly. I can still remember when I would have been put off by it essentially being a space fantasy, but I'm pleased I was (easily) won over.
  • Charlie_Miso 7 Mar 2012 04:21:45 1,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished Use of Weapons having read the two before.

Glad I didn't give up after CP as didn't think much of it, PoG and UoW on the other hand are kind of brilliant. And I don't like Space Opera.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2012 11:17:24
    Finished Surface Detail a few weeks back. Think it's probably his best to date although I'm a bit of an M Banks fanboy so I probably would say that. As good as scifi gets IMO though.
  • evild_edd 9 May 2012 18:24:24 2,924 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sort of a bit off-topic - this is about Mr Banks himself rather than the Cultrure series.

Edge have put up an interview with Iain Banks on their website here

It's part of their My Favourite Game series and I thought a few of you may be interested :0)

Edd

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• jakuande 29 Jun 2012 12:50:03 192 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Next Culture Book is due in October : not sure about the name "Hydrogen Sonata" but the plot summary sounds awesome:

An ancient people, organized on military principles and yet almost perversely peaceful, the Gzilt helped set up the Culture ten thousand years earlier and were very nearly one of its founding societies, deciding not to join only at the last moment. Now they’ve made the collective decision to follow the well-trodden path of millions of other civilizations; they are going to Sublime, elevating themselves to a new and almost infinitely more rich and complex existence.

Amid preparations though, the Regimental High Command is destroyed. Lieutenant Commander (reserve) Vyr Cossont appears to have been involved, and she is now wanted — dead, not alive. Aided only by an ancient, reconditioned android and a suspicious Culture avatar, Cossont must complete her last mission given to her by the High Command. She must find the oldest person in the Culture, a man over nine thousand years old, who might have some idea what really happened all that time ago. It seems that the final days of the Gzilt civilization are likely to prove its most perilous.

He's mentioned subliming a few times in previous books but never really elaborated on what it entails, I guess now we'll find out.
  • Razz 29 Jun 2012 12:58:07 59,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I think Razz read the Wasp Factory and extrapolated. ;D
    Oh? :D Perhaps I was confused. Waht was the book about the downstreamer kids? The book starts with humans reaching the end of the universe, evolved into these planet sized creatures who rarely move as there isn't much energy left in the universe, they make a plan to avoid this depressing end by ending the universe early so send intelligence or something back in time into the wombs of pregnant woman and this race of super itelligent kids are born, they move to the moon and contruct a machine to end the universe so it may give birth to another. Very depressing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 29 Jun 2012 13:02:34 59,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck. It's Stephen Baxter, Manifold Time. He's the guy that writes the depressing SciFi books!

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• w00t 29 Jun 2012 13:04:46 10,976 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're not depressing!

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Bremenacht 29 Jun 2012 14:07:50 15,753 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jakuande wrote:
    Next Culture Book is due in October : not sure about the name "Hydrogen Sonata" but the plot summary sounds awesome:

An ancient people, organized on military principles and yet almost perversely peaceful, the Gzilt helped set up the Culture ten thousand years earlier and were very nearly one of its founding societies, deciding not to join only at the last moment. Now they’ve made the collective decision to follow the well-trodden path of millions of other civilizations; they are going to Sublime, elevating themselves to a new and almost infinitely more rich and complex existence.

Amid preparations though, the Regimental High Command is destroyed. Lieutenant Commander (reserve) Vyr Cossont appears to have been involved, and she is now wanted — dead, not alive. Aided only by an ancient, reconditioned android and a suspicious Culture avatar, Cossont must complete her last mission given to her by the High Command. She must find the oldest person in the Culture, a man over nine thousand years old, who might have some idea what really happened all that time ago. It seems that the final days of the Gzilt civilization are likely to prove its most perilous.

He's mentioned subliming a few times in previous books but never really elaborated on what it entails, I guess now we'll find out.
    Ohhh that sounds really good. I wonder if it references much earlier books again, and if we already know who that person is. Reference to a reconditioned Android reminds me of 'Against a Dark Background', which is one of his best imo.

I do think he made a mistake at some point in the development of his Culture books, in that whereas Drones were once the means through which he described the behaviour of machine intelligence, and Minds were unfathomable, omnipotent, shadowy presences pulling plot strings off-stage, Drones rarely play more than the most menial of parts in his more recent books, with the Minds playing many more parts (and much bigger parts) than before, yet seem to function on no higher level than the human players - except with bigger and fancier guns. Mmm - long sentence. Excession was the tipping point, I reckon.

Edited by Bremenacht at 14:16:29 29-06-2012

Edited by Bremenacht at 14:17:33 29-06-2012

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Oh-Bollox 1 Jul 2012 01:15:15 5,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still think Subliming is something quite evil.
  • elstoof 1 Jul 2012 10:16:58 6,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lordy, he's really churning them out now. I'd rather he took a bit more time like between excession and look to windward, before he turns into the Scottish John Grisham.
  • steadynedy 6 Jul 2012 19:48:08 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How does Matter compare to earlier books?

Fancy another culture book and this is the next one on my list
  • riz23 6 Jul 2012 20:14:56 1,046 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Matter? Good. But then I would say they all are.
  • Ajay 6 Jul 2012 20:47:09 2,412 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Matter's one of the more divisive ones, I think. Around half of it overall takes place in a very low-tech non-Culture civilisation and it took longer than usual for all the strands to gel than previously, but overall I enjoyed it - from memory it's one of the longer ones too.

For a fair chunk of the novel it's closer to a fantasy tale than sci-fi, but overall I liked it - just be braced for more of a slow burn with less Culture than usual.
  • L0cky 6 Jul 2012 22:02:45 1,442 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    so what is this Culture series then? How are the books related? Are they chronological? Or just different stories in the same universe?

Nearly done with a series, need something new.

I read The Wasp Factory, and The Crow Road and seem to remember them being good; though that was 15 years ago.

Edit: Read The Business as well, forgot about that. It's a kind of melancholic story, but somehow satisfying to read.

Edited by L0cky at 22:05:24 06-07-2012
  • RunningMan 6 Jul 2012 22:21:49 2,356 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God yes read the culture novels. I don't think you need to read them in order. Excession is probably the best.
  • elstoof 6 Jul 2012 23:21:59 6,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't really enjoy excession all that much going straight to it after player of games and use of weapons.ight need another go because Windward was great.
  • ilmaestro 7 Jul 2012 00:05:51 32,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    so what is this Culture series then? How are the books related? Are they chronological? Or just different stories in the same universe?
    They are related by the Culture itself, an advanced society. They (almost) all have their place in a chronology, but they were not (quite) written chronologically. You could start at the start if you liked, but you don't need to.

• L0cky 7 Jul 2012 00:50:16 1,442 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks, think I'll read The Player of Games next then.
  • ilmaestro 7 Jul 2012 02:53:33 32,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    An excellent choice!

• Deleted user 7 July 2012 11:55:48
    Just remember: An SC drone is for life, not just for Christmas.

And "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU!"

<3 Mawhrin-Skel.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Jul 2012 12:20:34 14,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooh, a new Culture novel coming, that is good news.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• steadynedy 11 Jul 2012 19:11:07 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the information guys, have downloaded the free sample for Matter on the kindle and thought the first few chapters were enticing enough for a purchase.

Which will be done after I've finished The Stand

Edited by steadynedy at 19:11:30 11-07-2012
  • Jetset_UK 11 Jul 2012 23:47:49 3,535 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would pay good money to have a chunk of my memory erased and start reading the Culture series again from fresh.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last