Graphic Novel recommendations please Page 4

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• speedofthepuma 3 May 2008 20:21:28 13,307 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    BanjoMan wrote:
    On a lighter note, I've just bought Ultimates books 1 and 2. And I see Ultimates 3 is under the captaincy of Snr Loeb. Boom-shaka-lak.
    Ultimates seasons 1 and 2 are absolutely fantastic. Season 3 (Loeb and Mad) is absolute gash: Repulsive artwork and writing and it completely destroys all the hard work Hitch and Millar put into the previous books - avoid if you have any sense.

Shit. I love that series.

Oh BTW I suggest Albion, as I too love all things Alan Moore (a knowledge of British comics enhaces this, but is not essential).

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• BanjoMan 3 May 2008 20:25:51 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Is Loeb the guy behind Brand New Day? I hear that's meant to be utter tripe as well.

But he did Hush too, right? Isn't that all sorts of awesome?
    Hush is fandabidozy, as is Long Halloween and Dark Victory. The last two are better Bats stories imo, but Hush is a rollicking ride.

I think writing for Heroes has drained him of his specialness. Then again my mate was blathering about some new Loeb thing or other that tastes like hot sex on a muffin.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• CosmicFuzz 3 May 2008 20:30:55 24,930 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent. I've only read Dark Knight Returns, so need some good Batman to get into. I'll have to pick up those 3 for going on holiday, along with Ode to Kirihito, and Ex Machina, and Sandman, and Y: The Last Man, and Walking Dead, and...

The problem, is choice.

/smith

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Micro_Explosion 3 May 2008 20:39:09 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Batman: The Man Who Laughs is very good too, although you might want to wait until after the film. There are a couple of lines from it that even appear in the trailer and it's one of the main sources of inspiration for the film so it could be quite spoilery.
  • CosmicFuzz 3 May 2008 20:42:34 24,930 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooh, cheers Micro, I'll have a wee gander at that after the movie then :-)

Anyone else looking forward to the Gears of War comic, by the way? Hope I'm not the only one...

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• CosmicFuzz 3 May 2008 20:48:59 24,930 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What were they giving away? Any free comic or a select few? Damn, I never knew there even was such a thing as Comic Book Day. Almost sounds too good to be true - much like Scotchtoberfest.

• CosmicFuzz 3 May 2008 21:11:23 24,930 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers! :)

• CosmicFuzz 3 May 2008 21:25:45 24,930 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, they do look more like samples than the comics I'm currently reading. I'm horrifically skint at the moment as well, so probably best I never went in, I'd end up spending far too much money... :-S

Damn comic/manga that never end!

• FortysixterUK 6 May 2008 22:50:08 391 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Virtually anyhting by Garth ennis....The Boys, The Pro, Preacher, his Punisher stuff.

Also Warren Ellis is a god of a writer

As is Ian Edgington
  • Deleted user 11 May 2008 12:51:05
    So The Walking Dead, then.

I'm reading the Volumes, but I gather each Volume has 6 issues in it. But... I'm reading each volume in an hour, maybe more. Just how short are the individual issues?!

Anyway, I thought I'd try the bigger books but it's actually easier and cheaper to get hold of the Volumes so I've just ordered 3, 4, 5 and 6. :)
  • afghan_jones 15 May 2008 08:53:46 3,041 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished re-reading Watchmen.

It really is fucking brilliant. If you havent read that, go and do it immediately. Twice.

• sickpuppysoftware 15 May 2008 09:50:09 1,335 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For anyone interested and appologies if it has already been mentioned but Killing Joke has been rereleased as a hardback and recoloured. Out of stock at play at the moment but should be far easier to get hold of than the original. I ordered it when it came out and it's still great.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3975878/Batman/Product.html

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Ginger 15 May 2008 09:52:55 6,879 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shinji wrote:
    Sandman. Leaf through some stuff about it, and if the concept grabs you (or if you've ever liked anything Gaiman has written), rejoice in the fact that it's available in huge collected volumes - first two are out now (of four, I believe), at 45 quid a throw. They're gorgeous and well worth the money.
    You will always regret it if you don't follow this advice.

Oh, and if you look on amazon.com you can get them fro about 35 including shipping which is cheaper than the UK price by a significant amount on some of the issues

London open taekwondo champion

• BanjoMan 15 May 2008 09:55:42 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just finished Fables book 4, which was the best of the series so far imo. Also got books 4, 5 and 6 of Ex Machina to do next, which I'm looking forward to - it's one of the best recent series.

• markh 15 May 2008 10:08:42 3,598 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm just getting towards the end of Preacher now (just ordered the last two books) and I'm looking for something else to get into.

I was thinking of some Hellboy - can anyone recommend a good place to start? :)
  • Tiger_Walts 15 May 2008 10:14:35 16,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mentioned this in another thread but I'll dupe it here.

I was recently put onto The Exterminators by a friend and I love it.

Note a Supe in sight, just super-bugs and normal guys dealing with it.

Written by first timer Simon Oliver and drawn by Tony Moore who does Walking Dead. Oliver comes from a background of writing for TV and it shows in the comic. Plot and character development follow a similar structure to a TV series where there is a main underlying plot that is slowly built up whilst you are happily distracted by shorter stories that serve to flesh out the characters and universe and leave the odd hint for the bigger picture.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Derblington 15 May 2008 10:52:26 21,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    markh wrote:
    The begining is usually a good place.
  • GloatingSwine 15 May 2008 10:55:36 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    markh wrote:
    The begining is usually a good place.

This. The first collection is called Seed of Destruction.
  • Tricky 11 Jul 2008 00:10:48 4,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    Shinji wrote:
    Sandman. Leaf through some stuff about it, and if the concept grabs you (or if you've ever liked anything Gaiman has written), rejoice in the fact that it's available in huge collected volumes - first two are out now (of four, I believe), at 45 quid a throw. They're gorgeous and well worth the money.
    You will always regret it if you don't follow this advice.

Oh, and if you look on amazon.com you can get them fro about 35 including shipping which is cheaper than the UK price by a significant amount on some of the issues

Just got volume 1 as a treat for myself. Haven't had a chance to read it yet as I'm away on business all the time at the moment but as soon as I'm home I'm looking forward to settling in and reading it in one go.

The treatment of the special edition is just superb - turning it into a huge hardback book (which increases the pages from their original size too) is a nice touch and the whole thing just screams 'class'.

Seriously recommended.

Also took the chance to get the collected Grant Morrison run on Animal Man. Loved that run when I used to collect comics and whilst it hasn't necessarily aged as well as I thought it might, it's still a very good story and nicely told.
  • DaisyD 11 Jul 2008 00:11:29 11,826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite like the Deathnote series.

[President D]
  • Deleted user 11 July 2008 00:11:36
    Read Arkham Asylum yesterday. Very, very good. Recommended. :)

Going to start Hush tonight.
  • Shinji 11 Jul 2008 00:36:30 5,903 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has anyone recommended DMZ yet? That's fucking brilliant, probably my favourite comic of the last couple of years. The idea is that a modern-day US civil war ends up at a stalemate along the Hudson River, with Manhattan as a demilitarised zone - but with about 400,000 people left trapped inside.

It's powerful, intelligent, political and really, really fantastic. One of the best and most hard-hitting war stories I've read in any medium. Four volumes are out as trades now, I think a fifth is on the way. Definitely worth picking up.
  • BanjoMan 11 Jul 2008 13:14:53 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    markh wrote:
    I'm just getting towards the end of Preacher now (just ordered the last two books) and I'm looking for something else to get into.

I would say Fables. You might not dig Hellboy's piecemeal structure after such a long, sturdy series. Then again you might. Who knows.

But try Fables.

• kalel 11 Jul 2008 13:18:37 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DMZ, Fables, EX MACHINA and Powers are the best current ongoing series imo.

I don't like Hellboy personally, never seen the appeal.
  • BanjoMan 11 Jul 2008 13:22:05 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like Hellboy purely for Mignola's art. The narratives are usually reconstructed folklore bunkum with cruddy, minimal 'hard-boiled' dialogue.

• Deleted user 11 July 2008 15:43:34
    I just started Watchmen, my first ever graphic novel. And it is incredible! I had no idea it would be this good. I have now raked up a list of other graphic novels I intend to buy after this.
  • Khab 11 Jul 2008 16:02:10 6,576 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Invincible just keeps getting better and better. By the same fella who writes The Walking Dead, Robert Kirkman.
  • Page

of 43 First / Last