• Page

of 42 First / Last

• Tiger_Walts 25 Mar 2008 11:33:59 16,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glo wrote:
    afghan_jones wrote:
    [menace] wrote:
    No mention of Hellboy by Mignola yet? Highly recommended all of them - but be careful, there's lots of spin-offs now where Mignola only does the covers and a synopsis for the story. The BPRD albums seem to vary greatly in quality, at least where the art is concerned.

If you want Superheroes I'd recommend Kingdom Come by Alex Ross and Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison (story) and Dave McKean (illustrations).

Yeah, i totally forgot about Kingdom Come. Thats awesomeo.

I have been trying to get hold of that for over a year. amazon, play, etc. never get in stock and are always saying a new edition is about to come out but it never seems to.

anyone know where I could pick up a copy?
    I've seen copies on the shelf in Waterstones.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Universal_Hamster 25 Mar 2008 11:35:31 4,948 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    I would just like to say, the new Hellblazer by andy diggle is all sorts of superb.

Really?

I stopped collecting Hellblazer around issue 89 or so - basically shortly after Ennis's run. Did a massive catch up with my mate's collection last year and to be honest wasn't impressed with any of the stories that had been done since.

Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis's runs on the title were utterly superb though.

/strokes pile of Hellblazers from issue 1 to 89-ish
    Yup, I loved it. The idea is that Constantine gets himself out of the gutter and becomes the slick operator he used to be before the Ennis run. I love the Ennis stuff, but its great to see the guy kicking ass and taking names again. Also, and i can put this no more simply, the stories are really good.
  • [menace] 25 Mar 2008 11:46:57 2,415 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lave wrote:
    This is a brick-thick, slowly paced, beautifully drawed story. Have a look at a sample page from the book and see if that might be up your alley.

Sorry for being negative, but this does nothing for me - the art that is.. and I often buy GN's for the art alone.
  • GloatingSwine 25 Mar 2008 14:22:35 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    [menace] wrote:
    Lave wrote:
    This is a brick-thick, slowly paced, beautifully drawed story. Have a look at a sample page from the book and see if that might be up your alley.

Sorry for being negative, but this does nothing for me - the art that is.. and I often buy GN's for the art alone.

The art style doesn't immediately stand out as the reason you'd read Jimmy Corrigan. When you read it (and as soon as my mind control ray is complete, you will), you'll realise that it enhances the pathos of the story immensely.

Really, it's an immensely touching story, and one which shows not only that sequential art can tell any kind of story, not just the amazing adventures of got-no-legs boy, really showcases the strengths of the medium for storytelling over prose or film.
  • Tiger_Walts 25 Mar 2008 14:31:03 16,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone made mention of Mouse Guard, if so it deserves another.

• Cappy 25 Mar 2008 14:33:12 11,830 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hardboiled Defective Stories
  • DaisyD 25 Mar 2008 14:34:15 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been reading the Deathnote books. They're quite good. Cowboy Bebop are good too.
  • Tonka 25 Mar 2008 14:36:14 20,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Just another massive +1 for Walking Dead here. It realy is great.

Just read issue 47, can't wait for 48, the cliffhanger was mental!

I wait for the paperbacks so I'm way behind you. Lot's of cliffhangers there to.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tiger_Walts 25 Mar 2008 14:37:25 16,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got Cowboy Beebop #1 somewhere, the panels are all over the place and the English translation was awful. So I didn't get any more of the manga.

• Onny 25 Mar 2008 14:37:59 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    [menace] wrote:
    Lave wrote:

The art style doesn't immediately stand out as the reason you'd read Jimmy Corrigan. When you read it (and as soon as my mind control ray is complete, you will), you'll realise that it enhances the pathos of the story immensely.

Really, it's an immensely touching story, and one which shows not only that sequential art can tell any kind of story, not just the amazing adventures of got-no-legs boy, really showcases the strengths of the medium for storytelling over prose or film.
    Yeah it is a lovely book. From the genius cover to the tiny minutiae of Jimmy's every day life, it really is a wonderful read. One of those books you give people who "don't like comics" IMO. :)
  • DaisyD 25 Mar 2008 14:42:52 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    I've got Cowboy Beebop #1 somewhere, the panels are all over the place and the English translation was awful. So I didn't get any more of the manga.

The must have fixed them before I bought them then! Either that or you've not read the reading instructions! ;)
  • ScoutTech 25 Mar 2008 14:43:06 2,423 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can recommend 1608 as well. Not a huge fan of Graphic novels but this caught me nicely. Though if you are into them I think it will mean even more as there is a lot of nodding to characters you may know more about all ready.

Apart from that V is a definite and the 2 league of extrodinary gentlemen are a must
  • Tiger_Walts 25 Mar 2008 15:00:34 16,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    Tiger_Walts wrote:

The must have fixed them before I bought them then! Either that or you've not read the reading instructions! ;)

Heh. Well, the panels are probably still a mess. It's not always clear if you need to read right to left then top to bottom or vice versa when presented with a new page. You'll get half way through a page before realizing that the panel you just got to should have been read earlier.

• GloatingSwine 25 Mar 2008 15:04:35 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    Has anyone made mention of Mouse Guard, if so it deserves another.

Is that good then? I've seen it around in the friendly local comic shop, but not actually looked hard at it.
  • Tiger_Walts 25 Mar 2008 15:10:11 16,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed it. It's well written and the artwork is great. If you ever loved the Rats of Nihm books, you'll take to it.

• BanjoMan 25 Mar 2008 18:47:29 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lave wrote:
    for those of you who just happend to be a bit tired of "superheroes fighting dinosaurs in space" themed GNs
    I've got a whole bookcase full of comic books and I haven't got one of them.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Deleted user 26 April 2008 16:57:57
    In the end I purchased Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Marvels and Maus, and having now read the first three and almost finished Maus, I have to say wow - some fucking good writing in there and art in there.

How do I possibly top them?
  • magicpanda 26 Apr 2008 17:24:36 13,266 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Read the thread again? :)

Kingdom Come is great if you want to continue on a Super Hero vibe.
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Apr 2008 15:15:58 23,189 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ex Machina and The Ultimates are my current comic of choice :)

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• figgis 28 Apr 2008 15:30:42 7,383 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Walking Dead -Do not read unless you have read the latest issue 48 or 49(I think)

I can't believe they killed his pregnant wife (and most of the cast). Where can things go from here?
  • BanjoMan 2 May 2008 16:21:37 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck, I'm reading the collections so have no concept of issue numbers. Consequently, I scrolled over that spoiler and ruined my fucking life. Fuck.

On a lighter note, I've just bought Ultimates books 1 and 2. And I see Ultimates 3 is under the captaincy of Snr Loeb. Boom-shaka-lak.

• w00t 2 May 2008 17:30:19 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TraffordAvenger wrote:
    Just finished Grant Morrisons' The Filth.what the fuck was going on there?Great look though.
    It's utter madness... that eventually makes some sort of sense.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Spanky 2 May 2008 17:49:29 14,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can you anti-recommend a Comic/GN in here? If so...

UnMen.
    It's not very good, better than batman but thats not saying shit. 4/10.

Justice(book 3 is out now), arts nice of course but it's just more of the same kingdom come style stuff but with a far more rapid and convoluted plot... 6/10

~Alex Ross is a Cunt

Plubs

• BanjoMan 3 May 2008 12:40:12 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Alex Ross is a Cunt
    I would like that on a T-shirt. His characters all look the same, even the women have the same jaw-lines and brows as Supes.

• Lateralaus 3 May 2008 13:42:17 1,091 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I gone off comics and such as of late but I would STRONGLY recommend the Priest collection, they are without a doubt the best thing I have ever read and the artwork is stylish/unique. ofcouse this is just my opinion but I still say chekc it out!
  • CitizenGeek 3 May 2008 19:06:33 3,527 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread is great: I'm a big manga reader, but I've only recently begun exploring Western graphic novels. Transmetrpolitian sounds good, and I loved the Sin City movie so much that I'll have to check out some of those GNs too!

As for my own recommendations, well ... the absolute best GN I have ever read is, hands down, Osamu Tezuka's Ode to Kirihito. It's a truly epic, suspense-filled medical thriller about doctor investigating a bizarre disease that causes those who contract it to develop canine features. It gets much, much more complex than that as the story goes on, though. The Book Depository (who are great for manga, btw!) have the huge single-volume collection (there are over 800 pages; it's a massive book!) have it for 12 pound.
  • Derblington 3 May 2008 19:11:46 21,270 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    On a lighter note, I've just bought Ultimates books 1 and 2. And I see Ultimates 3 is under the captaincy of Snr Loeb. Boom-shaka-lak.
    Ultimates seasons 1 and 2 are absolutely fantastic. Season 3 (Loeb and Mad) is absolute gash: Repulsive artwork and writing and it completely destroys all the hard work Hitch and Millar put into the previous books - avoid if you have any sense.
  • CosmicFuzz 3 May 2008 19:50:51 23,189 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    BanjoMan wrote:
    Ultimates seasons 1 and 2 are absolutely fantastic. Season 3 (Loeb and Mad) is absolute gash: Repulsive artwork and writing and it completely destroys all the hard work Hitch and Millar put into the previous books - avoid if you have any sense.

I've not read any of Ultimates 3 yet, but have read everywhere that it's awful. Such a shame, the first two volumes are unbelievably good.

And CitizenGeek - loving the sound of that! Think I may be forced to part with some money... :)

• BanjoMan 3 May 2008 20:12:30 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    BanjoMan wrote:
    OH NO! I thought Loeb shat gold bricks?

Ah well, thatnks for the word of warning.

• CosmicFuzz 3 May 2008 20:18:22 23,189 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is Loeb the guy behind Brand New Day? I hear that's meant to be utter tripe as well.

But he did Hush too, right? Isn't that all sorts of awesome?

• Page

of 42 First / Last