Graphic Novel recommendations please Page 2

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• EddieBear 18 Mar 2008 07:01:13 560 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shinji wrote:

And if you liked Preacher, I suspect that you'll love Transmetropolitan. It's filthy and offensive and hilarious and brilliant in equal measure.

Transmet is pure genius. I too would recommend that thoroughly. The first trade should only set you back 6. Give it a go and then see if fancy reading another 9.

If you like Watchmen I'd recommend trying Top Ten. Its a very different story but its by the same guy (Alan "gruff-voice" Moore). Top Ten's about group of cops trying to control a city filled with superheroes (literally filled, every citizen has powers of some sort). There's also a prequel called the Forty Niners which is good as well. I normally don't like superhero comics/graphic novels but this is the exception. Great stories, great characters an beautiful artwork.

For something completely different you could do worse than trying Y: The Last Man. Its about a bloke called Yorick who becomes than last man on earth when a virus strikes down every male member of every male species on the planet. He then travels across the world with a couple of friends trying to unravel the mystery of the disease whilst everyone else is out to get him. A thoroughly entertaining read.
  • Onny 18 Mar 2008 07:29:02 5,697 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EddieBear wrote:
    If you like Watchmen I'd recommend trying Top Ten. Its a very different story but its by the same guy (Alan "gruff-voice" Moore). Top Ten's about group of cops trying to control a city filled with superheroes (literally filled, every citizen has powers of some sort). There's also a prequel called the Forty Niners which is good as well. I normally don't like superhero comics/graphic novels but this is the exception. Great stories, great characters an beautiful artwork.

TOP TEN SPOILER ALERT:

Smax: Sir? Permission to use excessive force, sir?
    Traynor: Breaking her fucking neck, son.
    Smax: Yessir.

One of the greatest moments in comic history, that bit. For me, at least. Gives me goosebumps and all sorts of shameful "OH HELL YEAH" feelings every time I read it.

Owen : also try V For Vendetta, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and (if you want a lengthy read) From Hell. Honestly, Alan Moore is THE MAN.
  • Ginger 18 Mar 2008 07:53:09 6,808 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shinji wrote:
    Sandman. Leaf through some stuff about it, and if the concept grabs you (or if you've ever liked anything Gaiman has written), rejoice in the fact that it's available in huge collected volumes - first two are out now (of four, I believe), at 45 quid a throw. They're gorgeous and well worth the money.
    Surprised it took this long for Sandman to get a recommendation. Can't recommend it enough - excellent twist on a lot of old mythology

London open taekwondo champion

• RichGL 18 Mar 2008 07:53:13 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sandman for me too especially the stories about the bloke who decides not to die.

Also there is a one off (book) by Gaiman named Books of Magic which looks to be pretty much where Harry Potter comes from apart from its a hell of a lot darker (as you'd expect).

The Books of Magic

• SlackMaster 18 Mar 2008 07:54:21 3,132 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just picked up Marvel Civil War for 5 in HMV while nosing about. So far so good as well.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• RichGL 18 Mar 2008 08:11:00 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Walking Dead is pretty good too. Zombies and suchlike.

• afghan_jones 18 Mar 2008 08:58:45 3,029 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RichGL wrote:
    The Walking Dead is pretty good too. Zombies and suchlike.

+100

Its excellent.

Also, for more classic superhero stuff try Marvel Ultimates.

And Batman, good old batman.

Batman Year One, Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
    Batman: Knightfall series
    Loeb & Sale's Batman Long Halloween etc
    Batman: Hush

Preacher is good stuff too, & Watchmen & V for Vendetta obviously.

You can get pretty good AvP omnibuses for not too much money. Some are a bit ropey but theres some real good uns if you like the AvP backstory rather than the gash movies.

• figgis 18 Mar 2008 09:14:19 7,382 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RichGL wrote:

Also there is a one off (book) by Gaiman named Books of Magic which looks to be pretty much where Harry Potter comes from apart from its a hell of a lot darker (as you'd expect).

How they got away with Harry Potter after this came out I have no idea. Doesn't Tim have a scar on his head too? (Been ages since I read them)
  • afghan_jones 18 Mar 2008 09:30:25 3,029 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, Lions of Baghdad is ace.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2008 09:41:18
    Fuck me, I can see me coming back to this thread a lot over the next few weeks... ;)

Cheers folks!

Tell me more about those AvP books, the ones that are good, and also about also Marvel Zombies and The Walking Dead... They sound up my street.

And Sandman - what's the story with Sandman?
  • magicpanda 18 Mar 2008 09:54:24 13,011 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Join ussss
  • glo 18 Mar 2008 09:56:42 3,415 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Would agree with many of the previous suggestions especially most stuff by Moore, Miller and Gaiman.

I would also recommend the invisibles by grant morrison if you haven't read it.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2008 09:58:23
    Magic Panda wrote:
    Join ussss
    Done.
  • nickthegun 18 Mar 2008 09:58:27 55,986 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Garth Ennis 'Midnighter' book where he is sent back in time to kill Hitler is the best GN ive read recently.

And the Ultimates 1-4 are worth getting.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• afghan_jones 18 Mar 2008 10:00:11 3,029 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The AvP books are just collections of AvP stories, so some stories within the collection are dead good, some not so much. You do read them thinking 'why the fuck didnt they base the AVP films on this?'

Walking dead is probably one of the best comic series Ive ever read. Its the classic zombie apocalpse movie but then doesnt stop when the credits roll and carries on, looking at how people would survive as the weeks, months and even years start to roll by. Absolutely brilliant.

The only Marvel Zombies Ive read is the one that has Ash from Evil Dead in it and as such is a little tongue in cheek to say the least. Funny though.

Lions of Baghdad is a bit more thought provoking but really well drawn and written.
  • [menace] 18 Mar 2008 10:04:48 2,415 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No mention of Hellboy by Mignola yet? Highly recommended all of them - but be careful, there's lots of spin-offs now where Mignola only does the covers and a synopsis for the story. The BPRD albums seem to vary greatly in quality, at least where the art is concerned.

If you want Superheroes I'd recommend Kingdom Come by Alex Ross and Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison (story) and Dave McKean (illustrations).
  • RabidChild 18 Mar 2008 10:30:37 2,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Maus by Art Spiegelman. Possibly one of the most moving works of any description, and a really important story which should be told and re-told.

This is all true.

Also a big +1 for The Wanking Dead
  • afghan_jones 18 Mar 2008 10:36:27 3,029 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    [menace] wrote:
    No mention of Hellboy by Mignola yet? Highly recommended all of them - but be careful, there's lots of spin-offs now where Mignola only does the covers and a synopsis for the story. The BPRD albums seem to vary greatly in quality, at least where the art is concerned.

If you want Superheroes I'd recommend Kingdom Come by Alex Ross and Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison (story) and Dave McKean (illustrations).

Yeah, i totally forgot about Kingdom Come. Thats awesomeo.
  • Tricky 18 Mar 2008 10:51:01 4,303 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    I would just like to say, the new Hellblazer by andy diggle is all sorts of superb.

Really?

I stopped collecting Hellblazer around issue 89 or so - basically shortly after Ennis's run. Did a massive catch up with my mate's collection last year and to be honest wasn't impressed with any of the stories that had been done since.

Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis's runs on the title were utterly superb though.

/strokes pile of Hellblazers from issue 1 to 89-ish
  • glo 18 Mar 2008 11:00:44 3,415 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    afghan_jones wrote:
    [menace] wrote:

I have been trying to get hold of that for over a year. amazon, play, etc. never get in stock and are always saying a new edition is about to come out but it never seems to.

anyone know where I could pick up a copy?
  • afghan_jones 18 Mar 2008 11:03:18 3,029 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    glo wrote:
    afghan_jones wrote:
    [menace] wrote:

I have been trying to get hold of that for over a year. amazon, play, etc. never get in stock and are always saying a new edition is about to come out but it never seems to.

anyone know where I could pick up a copy?

Think I just got it in Waterstones tbh.
  • DanMW 18 Mar 2008 11:04:54 809 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would recommend V for Vendetta and From Hell.

Check with bookdepository.co.uk they might have better prices.
  • BanjoMan 18 Mar 2008 11:15:08 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fables is different, once you've done all of the above. And Ex Machina is all growed-up political type superhero stuff.

From Hell is my favourite comic ever.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Restart 25 Mar 2008 00:05:17 4,678 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think anyone has mentioned "52".

It's an incredible series, telling the story of a year without the 3 main superheroes Superman, Batman & Wonder Women, after the aftermath of the DC "Infinite Crisis" series (it would be advisable to read that first, along with the "Infinite Crisis Companion.")
  • caligari 25 Mar 2008 00:14:53 16,832 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If Moore's 'Swamp Thing' graphic novels have not been mentioned, then I will cry.

Akiiiiiiiiira!

Slaaaaine!

Ghost World is rather interesting...as is David Boring (although it's a little 'rude' in places). Most of Clowe's stuff is worth a look TBH!

Books of Magic was also great.
  • Ocrovastru 25 Mar 2008 00:23:53 602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1608 is pretty smart I must say.

I recently picked up the Halo Jones saga and nearly all the Rogue Trooper stuff recently if you like the 2000AD kinda stuff.

+99 on Maus. Should be read in schools.

edited for spellink!
  • figgis 25 Mar 2008 10:15:39 7,382 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tricky wrote:

Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis's runs on the title were utterly superb though.

+1

Ennis especially, if you like preacher. The only comic to make me shout out loud on a bus was the Hellblazer special, anyone who's read it will know what I mean.
  • The_Aardvark 25 Mar 2008 10:36:49 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm steadily making my way through Brian K Vaughan's Y: The Last Man in trades. I think the monthly run has just concluded at issue 60.

It's wonderful, character-driven sci-fi about the one survivor of a plague which killed every other male creature on Earth. Who despite being the last man on earth, spectacularly fails to get any.

Also, it would be a crime not to mention Kurt Busiek's Astro City, a series of super-hero short-stories that really get under the skin of the genre.

And Fables. Buy Fables.
  • Lave 25 Mar 2008 11:22:33 300 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    for those of you who just happend to be a bit tired of "superheroes fighting dinosaurs in space" themed GNs, I would urge you to have a look at "jimmy corrigan - smartest kid on earth". This is a brick-thick, slowly paced, beautifully drawed story. Have a look at a sample page from the book and see if that might be up your alley.
  • Tonka 25 Mar 2008 11:25:20 19,840 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just another massive +1 for Walking Dead here. It realy is great.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 43 First / Last