Graphic Novel recommendations please Page 43

• Page

of 43 First / Last

Next
  • rtk79 8 Apr 2014 19:29:13 496 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't get too attached to Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man: it's well on its way to cancellation.
  • Tricky 29 Apr 2014 14:07:51 4,479 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Marvel are reprinting miracleman now the rights are cleared up and in the blurbs and extra info they just repeatedly refer to him as 'the original author'.
    Yeah I just noticed this was happening last night - really don't keep up with what's going on in the comics world these days, but news that I'll finally be able to read Miracleman is very welcome (going to wait until the collected version of the first part comes out in June).

In other great news, after Rebellion's slightly controversial 1000 limited edition reprint of Zenith, they're now going to start releasing the four phases in non-limited versions, starting in October of this year. No idea why they're taking that long to do it, but I've been looking for the complete Zenith for years (phases 1-3 collections always go for stupid money and they never did phase 4).
  • munki83 30 Apr 2014 08:14:44 1,447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought I would put a ink to the latest Humble Bundle here. This bundle is about a selection of great comics from Image

East of West Vol 1 - Rated highly
    Fatale - I've read and its great
    Lazarus - I've had my eye on it for ages
    Morning Glories - My friend collecs these and recommends them.
    Saga - See above and also check out hte comments in this thread
    Revival - Not heard of it but the blurb on amazon maakes it look promosing
    Chew - Once again recommended to me by a friend and I'm sure there is an animated short coming out about it.

If you pay more than 15$ You get vol 1 and vol 20 of the Walking Dead. Great comic but I'm not sure its worth it unless vol 1 and 20 are your favorite
  • PearOfAnguish 30 Apr 2014 08:26:22 7,466 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    East of West and Lazarus are both great.
  • GuiltySpark 30 Apr 2014 08:34:33 6,461 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder what the reasoning of having Vol 1 and Vol 20 of The Walking Dead is? Surely Vol 1 and 2 would make a lot more sense.

Get bent.

• munki83 30 Apr 2014 08:38:16 1,447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whats a good e-comic reader for android?
  • GuiltySpark 30 Apr 2014 08:49:15 6,461 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I use Comic Rack (the free version). I have no idea if it's the best, but it's fine. There are adverts though (though no where as intrusive as actual full page comic ads).

Get bent.

• TheBlackDog 30 Apr 2014 09:37:28 420 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    I wonder what the reasoning of having Vol 1 and Vol 20 of The Walking Dead is? Surely Vol 1 and 2 would make a lot more sense.
    Exactly. I couldn't figure out what why they'd make that the incentive offer because surely if you haven't already got 1 or 20 it's more likely that you'll but the rest of you really like them (so a bit like a demo for the rest of what has been released).

My wife already has the 2 compendiums which weigh a tonne. Does anyone know where you can download the compendium eBook at a reasonable price as there is no way I can see myself paying for every volume contained in the compendiums.
  • senso-ji 30 Apr 2014 19:22:58 6,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • boo 28 Aug 2014 00:06:32 11,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Free to a good home.
    Vols 1,2 & 3 (trade paperbacks) of Morning Glories.

Just never really got into it, and could do with the bookshelf space.

Just Another Lego Blog

• gingerninja2112 28 Aug 2014 00:40:37 36 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    boo wrote:
    Free to a good home.
    Vols 1,2 & 3 (trade paperbacks) of Morning Glories.

Just never really got into it, and could do with the bookshelf space.
    could i take them if you still have them? :)
  • boo 28 Aug 2014 07:25:55 11,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sure - PM me your address and I'll get them in the post.

Just Another Lego Blog

• CosmicFuzz 28 Aug 2014 07:37:33 25,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally got around to reading Joe Hill's Locke and Key, and its fantastic. Devoured the first two books in no time, plus it's only six books long so don't need to worry about never having an end point. Recommended.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• nickthegun 28 Aug 2014 08:36:37 61,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's genuinely brilliant.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• CosmicFuzz 28 Aug 2014 09:35:34 25,321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it's great, really can't wait to get back to it. It's the first Hill stuff I've read, need to check out his other stuff, his novel is meant to be pretty decent too.

He's got a fantastic imagination anyway. Obviously very King in places, but I'm guessing with a better ending...

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• pogomeister 28 Aug 2014 09:50:51 315 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah the book heart shaped box was pretty good I thought! Am not much of a reader mind you so seemed good for me
  • Drakesmoke 28 Aug 2014 10:15:45 211 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Sorry can't spare the time to trawl back through the thread as a late comer nut Elephantmen by Image (beautiful art and presentation) and Baltimore by Mike Mignola (very pulpy but exciting) are my recommendations.
  • Drakesmoke 28 Aug 2014 10:15:46 211 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Sorry can't spare the time to trawl back through the thread as a late comer nut Elephantmen by Image (beautiful art and presentation) and Baltimore by Mike Mignola (very pulpy but exciting) are my recommendations.
  • PearOfAnguish 28 Aug 2014 10:16:09 7,466 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    Whats a good e-comic reader for android?
    Perfect Viewer

CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Yeah it's great, really can't wait to get back to it. It's the first Hill stuff I've read, need to check out his other stuff, his novel is meant to be pretty decent too.

He's got a fantastic imagination anyway. Obviously very King in places, but I'm guessing with a better ending...
    Read Horns, it's very good.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 10:17:01 28-08-2014
  • boo 28 Aug 2014 23:29:51 11,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is Elephantmen worth perservering with?
    I was at the London Comic-con earlier in the year and met Richard Starkings on his stand. I'd picked up Elephantmen 2260, Vol 1, which seemed like a humourous 'film noir' pastiche. Got talking to Mr Starkings and asked him the best place to start, and he suggested 00 Armed Forces, and 01 Wounded Animals, which were on offer.
    So I came away with all three, each with a dedication and drawing inside the cover.

But having got about a third of the way through Armed Forces, I have to say I'm not really getting it. It's just 'Yvette gets in a ruck with a troop of Elephantmen. Rinse and repeat.'. Not what I was expecting, really. I'd assumed the Elephantmen were the good guys.

Does the story ever actually get going?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Gl3n Moderator 5 Nov 2014 14:17:10 5,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got to the end of Kick-Ass 3. What an excellent finish to a great series!

I really respect the finality of the character's arc and the repeated assertions by Mark Millar that it's a self contained thing and not the birth of a sprawling series.
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2014 14:25:03 61,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3 was a bit better than 2, which I thought was a total turd.

I can't think Millar has written anything worse, to be honest.

American Jesus is worth a look if you are looking for something of his to read next.

• Gl3n Moderator 5 Nov 2014 14:36:32 5,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The first was definitely the best. I've yet to read Hit Girl though so I'm a bit out of sync.

It annoys me how crap the films are in comparison. They've inevitably influenced my perception of the series a little bit. That sequel. Jesus.
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2014 14:44:18 61,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I kind of liked the movie sequel better than the comic as it was a lot less miserable and outright nasty.

• millerlfc 9 Nov 2014 15:34:31 382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    3 was a bit better than 2, which I thought was a total turd.

I can't think Millar has written anything worse, to be honest.

American Jesus is worth a look if you are looking for something of his to read next.
    Then I guess you haven't read Nemesis? My advice: don't. It's garbage.
  • Page

of 43 First / Last

Next