Graphic Novel recommendations please Page 41

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• Vortex808 17 Dec 2012 13:00:29 7,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I found out recently that one of the artists I work with used to do art for Judge Dredd.
    Were they one of the big names for Dredd art? A Brian Bolland, or Kevin O'Neill? You can't just tease us like that!

I do realise you may not want to name names, but live in hope.

Sadly, I can't remember as many artists as I thought I would be able to. Despite being able to recognise who drew them from their style a long time ago the names have been forgotten in the mists of time...

I won't work out how long ago it was since I stopped reading them, it'll only depress me by proving how old I am now.
  • senso-ji 17 Dec 2012 14:23:20 5,923 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Speaking of Dredd artists; I met Kev Walker on Saturday. He signed my copy of a judge Dredd GN he drew a while back, and was a pleasant chap to talk to.
  • Oh-Bollox 28 Dec 2012 03:49:49 5,280 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone have the Chew hardback Omnivore editions? Wondering about the quality/size of them. A lot of graphic novel compendium editions are too big to hold up under plenty of re-reading.
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 06:36:40 27,377 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chew is great, no odea about the omnivore edition though. Had the chance to do instore browsing to see if if it warrants special edition price inflation, or is an internet purchase?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• boo 28 Dec 2012 08:51:33 11,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If anybody's been reading The Boys, then just a reminder that the 12th and final trade paperback, The Bloody Doors Off, is now out.

Bit of an anti-climax after the events of Vol 11, but there's a fair bit of spoilerific stuff that happens, which I won't mention.

On the whole, very good series indeed.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Oh-Bollox 28 Dec 2012 14:29:39 5,280 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @darkmorgado Checked my local Waterstones, WHS, etc, no joy. I don't mind paying a few quid more for the hardback as they wear much better. Will jump in anyway I think.
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 14:32:44 27,377 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    @darkmorgado Checked my local Waterstones, WHS, etc, no joy. I don't mind paying a few quid more for the hardback as they wear much better. Will jump in anyway I think.
    Have you tried your local comic shop (assuming you have one)? They're far more likely than Smiths or Stones to carry it (they tend far more to go for straightforward capes and tights stuff in the main).

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Oh-Bollox 28 Dec 2012 14:49:01 5,280 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tried them too, they only have the paperbacks. Ordered the first omnivore edition from the Book Depository just now anyway. :-)
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 15:40:32 27,377 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, even if it doesn't justify the price the actual comic is great! Enjoy :-)

I read Amazing Spider-Man #700 yesterday.

I find it hilarious just how much internet rage it has provoked, and more than a little disgusted at the moron fanboys who started flooding Dan Slott with death threats. Sometimes the comic community and gaming community are very distinct from each other and equally fantastic, often they embody the fabled feeling of "community" that no longer seems to exist in most residential areas, but also they occasionally represent the absolute worst of sickening human behaviour and damage any mainstream acceptance we've attained as niche communities. CBR did a piece on the death threat thing which is well worth reading.

Anyway, #700 and I will try to be as vague as possible for people who haven't grabbed it yet so no in-issue spoilers (but I will post things related to previous issues in spoiler tags for context for people waiting for a trade or who like to read an arc rather than an issue at a time).

Loved it. Yes, it will cause butthurt. It will cause rage. Slott has never been scared of pushing buttons to tell a story, has been one of the most divisive custodians of ASM (but also the most beloved for the same reasons) and #700 will, I think, go down alongside the resurrection of Norman Osborne and One More Day as one of the most divisive events in Spidey continuity.

But it's great. It really, really is.

I'm focussing this review on the core story, but despite the high price point this comic has a lot of content - 102 pages in fact - and not a lazy reprint in sight. Beyond the extended page count of the main story, there are two additional shorter stories. Neither are essential or impactful, but both have nice art and are well written. Then there is a 6-page long (yes, 6 pages) letters section answered by Stan Lee, inevitably focusing on the history, impact and legacy of Spider-Man over half a century. Finally we have a few pages that reprint the cover of every issue of ASM from 1-700 as little thumbnail images. Not amazing, but a nice final touch that does make you appreciate the sheer history of the title.

Humberto Ramos pencils this one and while he is very much a marmite artist with his exagerrated, heavily stylised and angular pencil work in a comic era where slavish or more naturalistic art is in vogue, in my opinion he has always been a very good Spidey artist. Obviously Marvel agree, because they bring him on to the line an awful lot and also contract Legacy titles like Scarlet Spider to superficially similar artists. Ramos knows how to get the weird, almost unnatural contortions of Spidey that McFarlane did so memorably well and better than that, his style provides nice art whilst not cluttering up panels with excessive detail - a must for this issue as an awful lot happens, particularly some great fight scenes, and being able to follow the action without having to go back and re-read panels is essential to the flow of this climax. In some places some good inking and murkier, weirder panels show his versatility to mixed overall success, and he clearly continues to have a long and interesting career ahead of him.

Dan Slott goes hell for leather here. Having seeded this story over his entire 100 issue run, he sometimes comes across as being too desperate to address every dangler and clue he has ever dropped, but it actually works to the benefit of the issue. The frantic nature of it actively highlights and complements the race-against-time that Peter has found himself in as he desperately seeks to reclaim his body from Doc Ock. More than that, he uses the situation to wring out a lot of unexpected pathos from Doc Ock and actively develop the character. It's surprising because Spidey's villains, even in the big leagues of Octavius, have always been more memorable for their visual designs and are not normally associated with being subtle (the superlative Kraven's Last Hunt being a rare exception to this rule) or having layers of personality beyond a rampaging ego and hatred of Spider-Man. But the Ock Dan has written in this arc is almost tragic. You almost want to root for him. You feel sorry for him. And you understand his desperation to win at least this one time because it's in the human condition to rage against the dying of the light rather than go gracefully.

And then that ending. That shock ending.

Even by comic book standards and tropes where shock endings have become cliche, it still has impact. It's a punch to the gut, a winding, to devoted Spider-Man fans. It changes the game in fundamental ways (in keeping the Marvel's NOW! initiative) and opens up whole new horizons of story possibilities. Sure, we all know that we'll go back to how things were, this is comics right?

But then again, will we? Almost existing in a bubble from general comicdom tropes, change in Spider-Man has stuck for a good few years now. OMD enraged many and just as many others were convinced it would be undone in a year. But it's stuck. For half a decade. And in an era of annual mega events and shock endings being the norm instead of the exception, that level of permanency is rare.

We all like to laugh or complain about how twists in comics are so frequently undone that they are little more than publicity stunts. On analysis, once you get over the initial desire to shout a complaint or a swearword or anything else though, this is one change that I actually want to STAY permanent.

Amazing Spider-Man #700 is supposedly the final issue of a series with half a century of pedigree behind it. Next month is signified by the the arrogant upstart Superior Spider-Man.

The Amazing Spider-Man is dead.

Long live the Superior Spider-Man.

• Deleted user 28 December 2012 15:42:12
    You should have sent that to morriss for his site.
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 15:44:32 27,377 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought about it, but thought I would give him a slapped-together-in-10-mins freebie. If he likes this one, hopefully he will like my polished work!

Edited by darkmorgado at 15:45:11 28-12-2012

• Deleted user 28 December 2012 15:47:02
    I hope he does!
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 15:54:17 27,377 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I hope he does!
    Aw, you're only saying that though because you're hoping for a break from my presence on here!

• CosmicFuzz 28 Dec 2012 16:10:53 24,584 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished Black Hole. Very good, although reading it late at night gave me strange dreams. Quietly unsettling and disturbing in parts.

It's horror month over at SoundOnSight. Remember Condemned: Criminal Origins? Read my lookback!

• Spanky 28 Dec 2012 16:26:55 14,508 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck you(and not in a nice cock in the arse sort of way, a brick in the face fuck you) for supporting that crud mongo!

Plubs

• Deleted user 28 December 2012 16:28:57
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    I hope he does!
    Aw, you're only saying that though because you're hoping for a break from my presence on here!
    Yes I am!
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 16:30:13 27,377 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Fuck you(and not in a nice cock in the arse sort of way, a brick in the face fuck you) for supporting that crud mongo!
    Lol!

Not a fan of #700 then eh?

• Spanky 28 Dec 2012 16:38:33 14,508 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Legendary comics shat on, abused and teabagged by a bunch of cynical marketing led hacks and jobbing mexican manga apers? Fucking love them. Storylines like this fucking tosh are meant to be unleashed in comics like "What if...". Fuck you with vaginas!

Plubs

• spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 16:42:49 27,377 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    glol! Love it. This is what the CBR boards would be like if they allowed swearing and insults :D

• Spanky 28 Dec 2012 16:47:21 14,508 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not insulting anybody, I haven't called you a cunt yet?

Plubs

• spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 16:51:48 27,377 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't worry, I wasn't complaining. If anything it's nice to see some passion about comics on here instead of the excessively neutered CBR boards.

• Trafford 28 Dec 2012 17:16:13 5,807 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reading and enjoying Elephantmen
  • Vortex808 29 Dec 2012 14:43:49 7,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    That looks like it could be quite interesting. I may well check that out.
  • Trafford 30 Dec 2012 18:17:58 5,807 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    That looks like it could be quite interesting. I may well check that
    Yeah it's like Blade Runner meets The Far Side and WE3. Lovely books as well.

* Borked phone post.

Edited by Trafford at 18:20:06 30-12-2012
  • nickthegun 30 Dec 2012 20:02:27 60,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't read Spider-Man to any great degree since the clone disaster but, like a lot of people, I thought I would check 700 out just because.

I'm slightly familiar with some of the doc ock stuff thanks to a few crossovers during Matt fractions tenure of kicking the shit out of iron man, so the jumping on point wasn't *too* jarring.

Sadly, it was actually even worse than you could possiby imagine and I hope everyone involved in the whole sorry fiasco gets genital warts from the next toilet seat they sit on.

Now i dont mind a shake of the tree. It can be good to change the status quo every now and again but every single facet of this comic is a fucking disgrace and anyone who continues to buy it month on month should feel ashamed of themselves.

It's literally everything that is wrong with modern comics condensed into 40 shitty pages. Fuck this, fuck marvel and fuck myself for reading it.

Edited by nickthegun at 20:06:37 30-12-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• PearOfAnguish 3 Jan 2013 19:55:53 7,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone watch the incredibly condescending and derisive Channel 4 report about graphic novels just now?

Actually used the phrase "not just for spotty teenagers".

They were banging on about graphic novels finally achieving literary recognition. Never mind that Maus won a Pulitzer in 1991.

If you're going to cover something like that at least get someone in who has heard of more than the Beano and Judge Dredd.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2013 19:58:06 60,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The irony being that most 'graphic novels' nowadays are just a bound collection of half a dozen sequential comics.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Oh-Bollox 3 Jan 2013 22:29:48 5,280 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's a trade paperback, actually.

/has no idea if it is or not
  • Vortex808 5 Jan 2013 22:05:26 7,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I finally got round to getting vol 1 of The Boys. Reckon I'll be sticking with that. I enjoyed it much more than Ennis' Preacher stuff.

Also got Vol 1 of The Elephantmen to read and have ordered vol 1 of the Saga. Hopefully, they'll all be good and keep me going through the dark  January nights.
  • morriss 5 Jan 2013 23:36:26 71,037 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm all about Miracleman atm. Very late (as usual) but get it nonetheless.
  • Page

of 43 First / Last