Graphic Novel recommendations please Page 38

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• Vortex808 13 May 2012 18:39:00 7,063 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really like DMZ and it might be worth a look if you haven't read any of them yet.

It's had it's ups & downs with a mid-series dip, but the last couple of collected volumes are right back at it's best IMO.
  • localnotail 13 May 2012 22:19:09 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok thanks, looks interesting, will give it a go.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Dr-Strangelove 14 May 2012 10:37:39 2,130 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Finished Y: The Last Man yesterday. Very strong ending after an occasionally slack but always interesting story. Great characters, well drawn. Had a bit of a cry at the end, which was unexpected - more for Ampersand than 355 :( - his last few frames just really set me off
    Funny, I was exactly the same with Ampersand - it was his big eyes staring up that got me. I'd just become a parent and my daughter would look up at me and give the same look. Just made me think given its context in the story how long he had been with Ampersand and what life gives and takes away
  • LockeTribal 14 May 2012 17:19:34 4,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have you read Ex Machina local? Supoib read, if you haven't.
  • localnotail 14 May 2012 17:33:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nope, heard good things about Ex Machina though - will remember it for later, thanks. Nice to be back with the habit, lost it for a decade or so, but OH got hooked reading my old classics, so comics have returned.

@Dr-Strangelove :( Yes, he was old, it was his time, but still. Poor old fella *sniff*

• steve1979 14 May 2012 19:04:49 1,991 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Batman: The Black Mirror. Just finished it, and it's probably the creepiest comic I've read in years, and one of the best Batman comics I've ever read. Scott Snyder is one hell of a writer.
  • RyanDS 14 May 2012 19:12:15 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Decided to try the "art as social commentary / history" comics from my library this week.

Maus
    Read this before. Still fantastic. 8/10 Would highly recomend as a change of pace.

Waltz With Bashir
    Never really grabbed me. Sure I am missing something. It would probably help with more background and commentary. 6/10

How to Understand Israel in 60 days or Less
    As an unapologetic fan of Israel not existing (rather a secular country existing there that didn't practice apartheid) I thought I would read this to get a balanced view. It was actually rather good, gave a pretty objective view of one perons travels there and really should be required reading. Even when I disagreed with the author I could see their point. 9/10
  • RyanDS 14 May 2012 19:14:03 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dr-Strangelove wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    Finished Y: The Last Man yesterday. Very strong ending after an occasionally slack but always interesting story. Great characters, well drawn. Had a bit of a cry at the end, which was unexpected - more for Ampersand than 355 :( - his last few frames just really set me off
    Funny, I was exactly the same with Ampersand - it was his big eyes staring up that got me. I'd just become a parent and my daughter would look up at me and give the same look. Just made me think given its context in the story how long he had been with Ampersand and what life gives and takes away
    I genuinely stayed up all night, finishing the last comic at around 4am I got so caught up in the final few graphic novels. I blame that for the cryi... single manly tear that rolled down my cheek at the ending. My second favourite series of all time alongside Sandman.
  • PearOfAnguish 14 May 2012 19:25:44 7,202 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Read Frank Miller's Hard Boiled at the weekend. Story was nothing special but the art is seriously impressive. Darrow's work is incredibly detailed.
  • Trafford 14 May 2012 19:36:11 5,733 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah Hard Boiled is eye popping stuff. Shame about the author.
  • Spanky 14 May 2012 19:37:36 14,478 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should try Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot. Same deal, non-existent story, fubbin awesome artwork. He also done some ultra violent Shaolin Cowboy thing.

Plubs

• localnotail 28 May 2012 14:50:26 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thank you for the DMZ recommendations. Finished 2nd book this weekend, very well put together - nice mix of styles, and a horribly realistic concept. Artwork of people sometimes reminds me of Tank Girl, but that's no bad thing.

• Layup 1 Jun 2012 15:35:31 25 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    steve1979 wrote:
    Batman: The Black Mirror. Just finished it, and it's probably the creepiest comic I've read in years, and one of the best Batman comics I've ever read. Scott Snyder is one hell of a writer.
    One of the best of last year. Snyders horror comic roots come through in the Bat comics and he`s still doing great things with the Batman monthly comic.
  • Oh-Bollox 9 Jun 2012 23:13:04 5,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jennifer Blood is basically a suburban mom Punisher. If you liked Ennis' Punisher run, you'll probably enjoy it. I didn't think the art was that good, but the mix of violence and humour was great.
  • Deleted user 13 June 2012 12:29:55
    Has anyone read the Watchman prequel yet? Think theres two of them out now.
  • nickthegun 13 Jun 2012 12:33:30 59,425 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    Jennifer Blood is basically a suburban mom Punisher. If you liked Ennis' Punisher run, you'll probably enjoy it. I didn't think the art was that good, but the mix of violence and humour was great.
    The Pro is also worth a read. Its only 80 pages but it chronicles the tale of a hooker who suddenly gets superpowers.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• damagedinc 13 Jun 2012 15:54:24 721 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just finishing civil war and got black mirror on the way. Shockingly havent read long halloween yet so also have that on order.

Anyone know where to start with iron man?
  • munki83 14 Jun 2012 07:23:51 1,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Half way through the first volume of Planetary and so far its pretty good. Heard that the main story arc doesn't really kick off till the third volume
  • PearOfAnguish 14 Jun 2012 09:26:14 7,202 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Anyone know where to start with iron man?
    Mainstream (616) or Ultimate universe?

Ultimate series might be easier to pick up than 616 Iron Man as it's not been running anywhere near as long, though it's still getting pretty convoluted now.

Orson Scott Card wrote an Ultimate Iron Man series which sets up the character, then you'd want to go for The Ultimates 1 & 2 (which are awesome anyway) and Ultimate Hulk vs Iron Man. That'd cover most of the pre-Ultimatum stuff. If you wanted to carry on after that you'd need to read Ultimates 3 (awful), Ultimatum (a travesty) and then pick it up again with Ultimate Comics Iron Man: Armor Wars, Ultimate Comics Avengers and New Ultimates, which are surprisingly good. There's a batshit insane storyline involving someone from Fantastic Four running in Avengers/Ultimates at the moment.

munki83 wrote:
    Half way through the first volume of Planetary and so far its pretty good. Heard that the main story arc doesn't really kick off till the third volume
    Great series. I really want Absolute Planetary but having just bought the entire Absolute Sandman it's a bit hard to justify. At least some of Sandman is still in print.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 09:31:13 14-06-2012
  • nickthegun 14 Jun 2012 09:36:31 59,425 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Almost everything in the Card series is then promptly ignored for the mainstream continuity. Ultimate Armour Wars is OK but, much like the original version, Iron Man works much better as a cog in a wheel rather than on his own, where he generally sucks.

He totally called it

• CosmicFuzz 14 Jun 2012 09:50:14 23,826 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Matt Fraction's run on Iron Man (main universe) is pretty great. It's collected in 3 or 4 volumes I think.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• CosmicFuzz 14 Jun 2012 09:50:35 23,826 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Matt Fraction's run on Iron Man (main universe) is pretty great. It's collected in 3 or 4 volumes I think.

Should add that it's the perfect starting point.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• PearOfAnguish 14 Jun 2012 09:57:25 7,202 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun

Just because it's not yet been referred to doesn't mean it's ignored, it is set 10-15 years in the past. And it's a decent standalone story, so worth reading if you like the character.
  • nickthegun 14 Jun 2012 10:04:58 59,425 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultimate Iron Man is no longer considered canon and was hand waived as an origin story made up by a japanese anime.

He totally called it

• PearOfAnguish 14 Jun 2012 10:08:49 7,202 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, but that was a stupid decision (if done quite cleverly for a retcon) and can be ignored, and doesn't change the fact that if you're into the character it's worth reading.
  • nickthegun 14 Jun 2012 10:10:36 59,425 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont know about that, to be honest. The series itself is a bit shit and I can imagine that the, frankly, insane changes made to his origin would piss a lot of iron man fans off.

He totally called it

• PearOfAnguish 14 Jun 2012 10:18:06 7,202 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe Mark Millar didn't want Card playing with his toys. Or maybe they took issue with Card being a homophobic right-wing lunatic, but it's not like he's ever kept that a secret. If there was such a problem with the way it was handled Marvel shouldn't have published it in the first place.

And I'll have to disagree about it being shit. It's a different take on the character, and I think the fact that he gave him a reason for having to use a suit of armor other than being a rich guy playing hero is an interesting angle.
  • nickthegun 14 Jun 2012 10:28:18 59,425 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having brain for skin is a bit of a stretch to get him into the suit.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 14 Jun 2012 10:28:31 59,425 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spoilers

He totally called it

• evaluna 14 Jun 2012 10:34:53 52 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure if these have been mentioned here yet, but Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing is brilliant, and Azzarrello's run on Hellblazer is also excellent.
  • Page

of 43 First / Last