Summer Festivals Page 8

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

  • Dougs 21 Jun 2012 15:55:24 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The good thing about the IW Festival is that you're only a short walk into the main town so it's no biggie and you won't get (as badly) striped up
  • grey_matters 21 Jun 2012 15:57:49 3,690 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Isle of Wight Festival this w/e, can't wait for Pearl Jam in particular. Weather is already playing havoc, the car park is fucked and there are queues all the way back to one of the ferry ports. Meaning they can't sail and discharge cars until it all clears. Nightmare. Sure they will have all forgotten it by this evening!
    I went a few years back (Pixies, Neil Young) and had a great time. Should've checked it out this year too, Pearl Jam will be a good one I'd say.

    Off topic: Is it just me or is the population of the Isle of Wight a bit more...monotone compared to the rest of the UK?
  • grey_matters 21 Jun 2012 15:58:51 3,690 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    The good thing about the IW Festival is that you're only a short walk into the main town so it's no biggie and you won't get (as badly) striped up
    Yeah this was great. Also, you can get a bus to the beach if the weather is good.
  • Dougs 21 Jun 2012 16:09:02 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:


    I went a few years back (Pixies, Neil Young) and had a great time. Should've checked it out this year too, Pearl Jam will be a good one I'd say.

    Off topic: Is it just me or is the population of the Isle of Wight a bit more...monotone compared to the rest of the UK?
    Yeah, I went that year. Was disappointed with both Pixies and Neil Young. Pixies were just phoning it in I thought.

    As for the population, that'll be the centuries of inbreeding! Nah, it's fine really.
  • roz123 21 Jun 2012 16:09:14 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looking forward to Tom Petty, Pearl Jam and Madness most of all. Wouldn't be surprised if Eddie Vedder joins Tom Petty or Vice Versa as they have done that before. Its going to be a struggle choosing between the England Italy match, the Darkness (who were good when I saw them at Reading back in 2003) and Bruce Springsteen (which I mainly want to see for this guy)

    Went to Glastonbury last year so the mud shouldn't be too much of an issue here as they probably don't churn it up with tractors every 10 minutes
  • Dougs 21 Jun 2012 16:13:39 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, same here. Silvio! But yeah, dunno what I'm going to do about the football. Probably miss it (and hate myself).
  • roz123 21 Jun 2012 16:20:11 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It will be a shit game probably
  • grey_matters 21 Jun 2012 16:21:01 3,690 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:


    I went a few years back (Pixies, Neil Young) and had a great time. Should've checked it out this year too, Pearl Jam will be a good one I'd say.

    Off topic: Is it just me or is the population of the Isle of Wight a bit more...monotone compared to the rest of the UK?
    Yeah, I went that year. Was disappointed with both Pixies and Neil Young. Pixies were just phoning it in I thought.

    As for the population, that'll be the centuries of inbreeding! Nah, it's fine really.
    I think I may just have been happy to be there so. I'd definitely go again, anyway.

    Half-thinking of going to Electric Picnic this year. Sigur Ros were fantastic the last time they played there (perhaps I was just happy again, I was certainly very mildly stoned that time) and I've never see the Cure play live. They might just be phoning it in too at this stage, but I think I'd forgive them so long as it wasn't too bad.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 21 Jun 2012 16:29:29 4,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anybody going to latitude next month? First time for me, not really sure what to expect.

    "sounds like a public school ponce"

  • Dougs 21 Jun 2012 16:50:03 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:

    I think I may just have been happy to be there so. I'd definitely go again, anyway.

    Half-thinking of going to Electric Picnic this year. Sigur Ros were fantastic the last time they played there (perhaps I was just happy again, I was certainly very mildly stoned that time) and I've never see the Cure play live. They might just be phoning it in too at this stage, but I think I'd forgive them so long as it wasn't too bad.
    The occasion (and anything else) certainly helps! I think I'd just built the Pixies up a bit too much, was very excited to see them as a long time fan. Hope PJ don't disappoint....

    Aside from Madness, they're missing a big retro act this year. Although Hue and Cry are playing!
  • MightyMouse 21 Jun 2012 16:53:51 1,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Edit: @Venatio

    I went last year, this year's looks like a much better music lineup (but I'm feeling poor so won't be going). It's a really awesome festival with a lot more going on than just the music but still fairly compact, people of all ages go and it's really good for kids. Also features a lot of public school boys called Rupert who have just finished their A-levels.

    Edited by MightyMouse at 16:54:19 21-06-2012
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 21 Jun 2012 16:55:34 4,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    Edit: @Venatio

    I went last year, this year's looks like a much better music lineup (but I'm feeling poor so won't be going). It's a really awesome festival with a lot more going on than just the music but still fairly compact, people of all ages go and it's really good for kids. Also features a lot of public school boys called Rupert who have just finished their A-levels.
    Nice. I didn't know Rauper was going...

    "sounds like a public school ponce"

  • MightyMouse 21 Jun 2012 17:00:50 1,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh. They were perfectly pleasant, I hasten to add! Just a lot of them.
  • Dougs 22 Jun 2012 07:19:35 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Roz - things are still totally Fucked over here, think things are starting to move with another car park now open. Roads from tje ports have been gridlocked since yesterday morning. Are you bringing a car? I'd avoid that if I were you. Suggest you follow festivalcop on twitter to get some info. Plus tune in to iow radio when you get over!
  • roz123 22 Jun 2012 07:24:11 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am going by train then hovercraft so should be fine (although we are staying in west cowes so it might be a pain getting to the venue since we were planning on going by bus)
    Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye on that twitter

    Edited by roz123 at 07:25:36 22-06-2012
  • Trafford 22 Jun 2012 07:54:07 5,738 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Going to Transmission 2 at Jodrell Bank tomorrow. Taking the kids, so might be able to escape early to beat the traffic.
    It's a local festival for me, looking forward to Field Music & Cherry Ghost in support, and the science expo for the kids.
    Not fussed about headliners Elbow tbh.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 07:54:39
    went to primavera

    not as good as sonar
  • Dougs 22 Jun 2012 08:16:40 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    I am going by train then hovercraft so should be fine (although we are staying in west cowes so it might be a pain getting to the venue since we were planning on going by bus)
    Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye on that twitter
    Ah you'll be fine then. They say buses are getting priority, especially from the ports. Best thing to do is walk from the bus station in Newport to the site when you come in from Cowes. It's only about a mile, not even.
  • Ginger 22 Jun 2012 08:31:38 6,829 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /is glad his tickets are for bestival this year

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Dougs 22 Jun 2012 08:41:03 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WOuldn't feel smug just yet, doubt we're going to get much of a summer at all!

    Seems the main issue last night, as ever, was the lack of information. People don't mind being delayed when it's clearly something beyond their control, but get annoyed when no-one tells them anything and there's no food or water provided. Poor organisation and the police were apparently next to useless.
  • Ginger 22 Jun 2012 08:55:09 6,829 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Poor organisation
    Sounds like this was the biggest issue. A month of rain and more forecast and they didn't have aluminium tracks down in the car park (according to my father in law).

    And yeah, hoping Bestival won't be a washout, but have done robin hill in the rain and mud before so will happily do it agin for this years line up.

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Dougs 22 Jun 2012 09:01:18 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They laid trackway down, along with bark, gravel etc but the organisers say that wasn't enough as it's just too wet under the first 6 inches or so. It was the entrance apparently. Rest of it is wet but manageable. Still 4 miles of queues on the road in!
  • roz123 22 Jun 2012 09:20:44 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    I am going by train then hovercraft so should be fine (although we are staying in west cowes so it might be a pain getting to the venue since we were planning on going by bus)
    Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye on that twitter
    Ah you'll be fine then. They say buses are getting priority, especially from the ports. Best thing to do is walk from the bus station in Newport to the site when you come in from Cowes. It's only about a mile, not even.
    Cheers
  • Ginger 22 Jun 2012 09:21:36 6,829 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ouch, four miles of queues and I assume the bulk of people are going to be coming over today...

    London open taekwondo champion

  • Dougs 22 Jun 2012 09:23:55 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dunno what the split is really. It had cleared a bit this morning but as soon as people started arriving, it started all over again! The only good thing is the forecast is pretty decent until Sunday night. Getting people out again is going to be a nightmare!
  • Dougs 22 Jun 2012 09:25:28 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Community and emergency FB page:

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/241443149058/
  • Dougs 23 Jun 2012 07:57:12 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Feeder were ace, Elbow much better than expected live and Tom Petty rocked!

    Site isn't too bad, but it's due to piss down from about 9pm tonight all night so it could be much worse tomorrow! 
  • freakybun 23 Jun 2012 18:01:37 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Feeder were ace, Elbow much better than expected live and Tom Petty rocked!

    Site isn't too bad, but it's due to piss down from about 9pm tonight all night so it could be much worse tomorrow! 
    Went last year and Sunday was driving rain and strong winds, really harsh.  At least this year the rain should clear by midmorning for you guys.

    Also made a lot of people jealous on the way home as we lived across from Southampton ferry terminal :)

    Have they got that real ale tent this year?  One of the few that took cash.
  • wobbler147 24 Jun 2012 00:18:12 5,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Waited for Pearl Jam all night on Sky Arts and all we get is 3 songs and yet that noise that is professor green gets what seemed like an eternity...meh :(
  • Dougs 24 Jun 2012 08:59:26 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's all licensing. They'll be flogging the rights to the rest elsewhere or making their own vid!  PJ were awesome, well worth the 20 year wait. Alive, Better Man, Elderly Woman, Jeremy. Stunning stuff. Even the rain stayed away until about 10.30.

    Feel sorry for those camping though, friends of ours heard the forecast and went home yesterday morning!
  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

Log in or register to reply