Summer Festivals Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Ginger 9 Sep 2008 13:01:58 6,839 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Ginger, hope you're OK mate. It is fucking pissing it down here on the Isle of Wight. Poor Bestival-goers. Going to be very soggy indeed.
    It was indeed not just soggy, but muddy as fuck all across the site - if you get the chance go and check out robin hill in the next few weeks, although I reckon it will be closed for a good while.

Dougs wrote:Still, that's why not to hold it in September I guess!
    Nah, previous couple of years have been gorgeous sunshine and lovely weather.

Anyway, it was my first proper muddy festival, and I reckon it was one of the best - saw way more music than usual since there was nowhere to sit and chill without getting stuck :)

Highlights were Gary Numan, Roots Manuva, Underworld, Annie Mac ("I've got 15 minutes left and I hope you don't mind if I play some Drum and Bass" - whole tent goes mental), Beardyman, Roni Size and Reprazent, Mitsubishop & Dubstar (I think) and loads more.

Aphex Twin were a bit meh - the tent was huge and it was completely jammed up.

Coldcut was the biggest disappointment - some flashes of absolute brilliance in a set plagued with technical problems - I have my suspicions that the guy helping out with the VJ couldn't cut it but don't know for sure.

Mary Ann Hobbs had a great 15 minute set and was then turfed off by the organisers to let some other muppet on - all the timings were screwed and she didn't look very happy at all :(

Amy Winehouse was a waste of time - 40 minutes late she then left her backing singers and band out there for 10 minutes while she probably squeezed in one more rock - we left after 10 minutes of her trying to work out how far from her mouth she needed to hold the mic...

Overall, fucking awesome, fucking muddy and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Oh, and if you're going to a muddy festival, go in a campervan - much more civilised :)

Edit: Oh yeah, surprise guest Grace Jones - whose fucking idea was that!

London open taekwondo champion

• Dougs 9 Sep 2008 13:05:44 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, no wonder you're so chipper about it all! Would've been very different if you were in a tent, I'm sure! As it happens, it's raining just as much now...

Glad it was good though and didn't spoil it.

Meant to ask, wedding go OK? Hope Landguard was what you were after

Edit: Grace Jones?! I heard it was Dolly Parton. That all rubbish then?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 12 Jun 2009 10:55:21 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bump.

Isle of Wight Festival starts tonight. Population doubles for 3 days. And yet again, I'm not going. It's fucking 7 miles away FFS!
  • localnotail 12 Jun 2009 14:08:04 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    climb the fence Dougs!

anyone going to Glastonbury this year?

apparently the site is already nicely muddy

/is gutted to not be going this year so indulging in schadenfreude

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Dougs 12 Jun 2009 14:09:12 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They've even cordoned off the nice area the other side of the river again, where you could hear everything perfectly! Bastards. If there are still some held back tickets left on Sunday I might pop along then
  • Chopsen 12 Jun 2009 14:13:32 15,995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never been to glastonbury. It always came at a bad time of year for me and never got in the habit. Keep thinking "oooh, shall I make an effort this year?" but I never do.

But am off to Reading (again) and Latitude.

Anybody else going anywhere?
  • localnotail 12 Jun 2009 14:14:19 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    can you get in via the river? James Bond style?

• localnotail 12 Jun 2009 14:15:29 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You should make it to Glastonbury at least once in your life. Everyone should. It's unlike anywhere on earth, and different for everyone.

• Dougs 12 Jun 2009 14:36:28 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, big fences and security guards everywhere.
  • MyAfroAndMe 12 Jun 2009 14:41:44 610 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Get in the Delorean and go back to before the superfence ever existed.
  • Dougs 12 Jun 2009 14:42:42 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, a mate of my brothers heads down to the site about 2 weeks before it sets up, and buries a few crates of beer. Gets in and digs them up. Pikey fuck.
  • BinaryBob101 12 Jun 2009 15:24:39 22,961 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm supporting local stuff by attending Kendal Calling.

Here.

The Grumpy Vaper

• bigshot316 12 Jun 2009 15:32:31 23,806 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didn't attempt to buy Leedsfest tickets for the 1st time in 4 years after last years swamp/food poisoning/misery debacle.

the hot weather is making me now regret this decision.
  • JuanKerr 12 Jun 2009 15:35:02 36,248 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Heh, a mate of my brothers heads down to the site about 2 weeks before it sets up, and buries a few crates of beer. Gets in and digs them up. Pikey fuck.

I think you meant to say 'genius pikey fuck'.
  • BanjoMan 12 Jun 2009 16:02:03 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I wants his teasure map, yarrr.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• onestepfromlost 12 Jun 2009 16:08:07 2,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    used to go to glasto every year, tend to avoid british fesitvals now.
    My local T in the Park is full of fuckwit wee guys who think they are hard.

Glasto has become commerical ( i miss a joint on the standing stones at dawn tho)

For me this year its SONAR SONAR SONAR.

maybe go somewhere else on impulse if the oppurtunity presents itself

Would love to go to fujirock, def on next years cards
  • Dougs 12 Jun 2009 17:32:13 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am now regretting not spending 240. Hoping desperately that there will be some (cheaper) ones available tomorrow or Sunday. Feeling very left out.
  • Ginger 12 Jun 2009 17:39:12 6,839 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I am now regretting not spending 240. Hoping desperately that there will be some (cheaper) ones available tomorrow or Sunday. Feeling very left out.
    Is no-one doing boat trips that will let you listen in?

And not sure I replied last year, but the wedding (and Landguard) was wicked :)

London open taekwondo champion

• Khanivor 12 Jun 2009 17:54:05 40,772 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was hoping to go to Bonnaroo this year but didn't get my shit together in time. Shame, as the line-up is good and it's only an hour away by car.

Made due with the local Riverbend festival. The main stage is actually on the river which makes for a kinda crappy space. On the other hand, seen Willie Nelson, The Wailers and then the B-52s last night.

May go to a hippie festival down in Florida at the end of summer but not sure if being eaten alive by bugs would be all that much fun.

Since I turned 17 I've gone about two summers without hitting a festival of one kind or another. Certainly gonna get my shit together for a proper festie next year.
  • Chopsen 12 Jun 2009 17:57:51 15,995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What are the B52s like these days? I saw a photo of them from a couple of years ago and they looked.....creepy.
  • Khanivor 12 Jun 2009 18:16:33 40,772 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty damn fresh actually. Sonically. Obviously they are not able to spruce up their bodies with the same effect and elegance as they have done with their tunes.
  • Dougs 12 Jun 2009 18:42:02 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    Is no-one doing boat trips that will let you listen in?

And not sure I replied last year, but the wedding (and Landguard) was wicked :)

Dunno actually, might be down Island Harbour I guess. Not quite the same mind. We decided that as we're not too fussed by the line up tonight, we'll try tomorrow and hope the price has dropped by 30-40 a ticket if there's some left. If there's not, nothing lost.
  • Dougs 13 Jun 2009 11:01:40 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/ Caved, 100 for Sat and Sunday. Rather expensive detour!
  • Dougs 14 Jun 2009 10:42:42 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome day. Highlight was (surprisingly for me) The Stereophonics. Really, really good. Incredibly tight set. The Zombies were pretty awesome too. Looking forward to The Pixies, Simple Minds and Neil Young today.
  • localnotail 14 Jun 2009 16:55:39 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oooh nice. Always wanted to see Neil Young live. Oh well.

torturing myself watching Maximo Park on ITV right now.

• Dougs 15 Jun 2009 08:51:25 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Neil Young is mental, I've decided. He did possibly the longest encore I've ever seen, about 30 mins of Rocking in a Free World. Complete with about 10 false finishes. Kind of wish I'd seen The Charlatons instead, but I guess it's one to tick off the list.

Pixies were disappointing. Played all the numbers you'd expect but did it without engaging with the crowd or anything. Just came on, played their songs and fucked off. Weird. Simple Minds were ace though
  • Chopsen 15 Jun 2009 08:59:25 15,995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really? I found Pixies amazing when I saw then couple of years back. Mind you, was very very drunk so was in over-excited child mode, and would have probably enjoyed it if Frank and Kim had just sat there and had a cup of tea though tbh.
  • Dougs 15 Jun 2009 09:02:01 67,727 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, was just a bit flat. Probably didn't help that a lot of the crowd weren't really fans and didn't really know their stuff.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last