Full HD 1080p on a VGA cable?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • SuperBas 15 Mar 2008 09:47:48 1,467 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi guys, I was in the store today, testing my 360 on different TV's, and I'm probably going to buy a 40" Panasonic plasma. However, several televisions I tried, including my choice, refused to show a 1080p signal over both the VGA cable and the component cable. Is this the cable's fault, or is there something wrong with the TV's? The sales guy said a VGA cable can't carry a 1080p signal, but I wonder if that's true, as the 360 does show full hd as an option, even though it changes these options every time you plug in a different cable. If it's not possible, why show the option?

And yes, all TV's I tried are full HD. Anyone have any experience plugging a VGA cable into a 1080p television?
  • silentbob 15 Mar 2008 09:51:51 29,016 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disc wrote:
    He's wrong. VGA can handle 1080p.
    +1

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• malteaserhead 15 Mar 2008 09:54:57 13,444 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    some 1080p tvs will only do it (fnar) through hdmi and not vga
    /glares at telly
  • SuperBas 15 Mar 2008 09:57:03 1,467 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, thanks for that. So he's wrong, but it's a TV related thing. It looked great on 720p anyway. Here's hoping all Xbox 1080's have HDMI!

Edit: But does component support 1080p as well? Then I can check which picture I like better.
  • silentbob 15 Mar 2008 10:02:45 29,016 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, component does support 1080p.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Deleted user 15 March 2008 10:02:52
    When I set my console to 1080p (using a VGA cable) on my monitor it gave a weird unadjustable fuzzy mess. When I then pressed A it goes back to 720p but when I press B it sets it to 1080p. It isn't supposed to be like that but maybe it will work for you.
  • Scimarad 15 Mar 2008 10:05:55 8,567 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mine 360 has a distinctly green (& 4:3) picture when I try to go to '1080p' through VGA. It works fine through component but the Wii is now using that. Why the 360 doesn't have an HDMI port is beyond me...
  • SuperBas 15 Mar 2008 10:15:15 1,467 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks guys.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Panasonic_TH_42PY70__6807219

That's the one I'm buying, it's been discounted to 1000 quid. Bargain! Shame about it not being able to go full HD through VGA, but meh.
  • Scimarad 15 Mar 2008 11:40:49 8,567 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1080p is overated anyway as far as I can see.
  • yegon 15 Mar 2008 12:23:11 5,335 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I l had a sly laugh when one of mates showed me his 40" Bravia which he'd been bragging about. That doesn't support 1080p over VGA either, so he had it over component at 1080i (he claimed 1080p didn't work over component either, didn't check myself). 720p via VGA on my crusty old Sammy looks miiiiiles better!

Be a different story if he had an Elite at 1080p via HDMI of course. Plus, SD signals looked a million time better on his Bravia than on my old Sammy.
  • monkie_king 15 Mar 2008 14:27:57 984 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    There are hardly any games that support 1080p native anyway. Just go with 720p for this generation and if you do have a 1080p tv you can probably bet that it's just as good at upscaling as your 360.

Yeah, it's pretty much just Virtua Tennis 3 and Fifa Street, and maybe Katamari. Maybe RezHD too. Thing is, I can't even tell if Katamari and Rez are 1080p or upscaled, and I'm enough of a nerd to care about these things.

On the other hand, 1080p sets aren't much more expensive now, and if you're expecting to keep the TV for 5 years, then you're likely to have a 1080p source in that period -- whether it's Blu-ray or the next generation of consoles, or whatever.
  • deem 15 Mar 2008 14:43:41 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are quite a few 1080p games now.

But 1080p only makes a huge difference if you are playing o a monitor form my experience.
  • SuperBas 15 Mar 2008 20:50:48 1,467 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disc wrote:
    There are hardly any games that support 1080p native anyway. Just go with 720p for this generation and if you do have a 1080p tv you can probably bet that it's just as good at upscaling as your 360.
    I'm future proofing. I don't plan to buy another tv this huge again, but I'll be set for the next generation, that'll probably have HDMI connections all around. It would suck if this tv also didn't support full HD through component, it's not like Panasonic couldn't increase the manufacturing and retail price by a few pounds just so all connections support 1080p.
  • monkie_king 15 Mar 2008 21:18:42 984 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deem wrote:

But 1080p only makes a huge difference if you are playing o a monitor form my experience.

Someone's maintaining a list, it transpires: 1080p X360 games.

He's got these three as "confirmed":
    [native 1080p] Boogie Bunnies [Xbox Live Arcade]
    [native 1080p] Street Home Court
    [native 1080p] Virtual Tennis 3

and then another 35 that claim 1080p output, "but have not been confirmed by third party sources as being native 1080p", so might be upscaling (for instance Halo 3 is on that list).

According to EG we can add FIFA Street 3 to the confirmed list too.

But yeah, apart from text and menus you can barely tell the difference, especially when things are in motion.
  • deem 15 Mar 2008 21:20:18 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkie_king wrote:
    deem wrote:

Someone's maintaining a list, it transpires: 1080p X360 games.

He's got these three as "confirmed":
    [native 1080p] Boogie Bunnies [Xbox Live Arcade]
    [native 1080p] Street Home Court
    [native 1080p] Virtual Tennis 3

and then another 35 that claim 1080p output, "but have not been confirmed by third party sources as being native 1080p", so might be upscaling (for instance Halo 3 is on that list).
    According to EG we can add FIFA Street 3 to the confirmed list too.

But yeah, apart from text and menus you can barely tell the difference, especially when things are in motion.

There are loads more than that. Ghost Recon 2 and FIFA 08 are 2 off the top of my head.

Halo 3 is 640p.
  • FortysixterUK 18 Mar 2008 09:04:56 391 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Mine 360 has a distinctly green (& 4:3) picture when I try to go to '1080p' through VGA. It works fine through component but the Wii is now using that. Why the 360 doesn't have an HDMI port is beyond me...

If you you have odd colours via ANY of your video ports out of the 360 that is or CAN be indicative of a motherboard that has overheated and is on the way out.

My original ( day of purchase) 360 displayed fine thru composite, then I got my HD tv ( Panny viera 42") and both VGA and Component out putted in odd colours.

7 weeks and one repaired xbox later, my letter from the repair firm said they had replaced the Mobo and the DVD drive .

Bought an Elite and gave that one to my son. Still works though .
  • SomaticSense 18 Mar 2008 13:35:28 8,721 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This thread inspired me to finally sort out my HD connection to my telly and finally chcking the manual to find out it's native res.

For the last couple of years I've ben forced to play through the 'PC' channel, due to the 'HD' one coming up with a blank screen and a "this video mode is not supported". This meant that I was missing out on a number of important adjustment options to improve the quality of the picture. I just assumed it was a dodgy telly, that it was reading the 360 as a PC, and that I was stuck with it til I get a new one.

Looking at the manual though there seemed to be no reason why it would do this. Until I figured out that the same "this video mode is not supported" is also shown on the PC channel when I try to switch to a res it can't take. BINGO! I've had my 360 set to the 13somethingsomethingx768 res all this time, which the HD channel can't take as it's native res is 720p. Switched the res to 720p (which doesn't work with the PC channel), quickly change channels to HD before the 360 kicks back to the last res, and viola, a 10 times better picture quality!

It's like getting a new HD telly!

Thanks guys :)

edit: One question though. According to the manual my telly can also run a 1080i signal. Which of the resolution options on the 360 is 1080i? The soandsox1080 doesn't work.
  • HarryB 18 Mar 2008 13:37:42 6,271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have used the unofficial joytech cable as well as official microsoft cable to output 1080p to a crt monitor, so it is definitely a hardware issue with the TVs.
  • Day 18 Mar 2008 13:47:18 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Day 18 Mar 2008 14:06:47 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooops, oh well... cant be bothered to retype...
  • peterfll 18 Mar 2008 21:42:31 488 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Technically component (the cable + connections) can support 1080p, however you'll find that most TVs do not support a 1080p signal from component. Its a TV thing. Ones that do are quite rare.

I have a top-range Bravia and it doesn't support 1080p over component.

Same goes with VGA, some TVs support 1080p others don't, although its easier to find TVs that support VGA 1080p than component.

Tell you what though, its no wonder Joe Bloggs on the street gets confused about HD.
  • sanctusmortis 18 Mar 2008 22:25:55 9,653 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Always check the native resolution of the TV (for instance, 32" LCDs are usually 1360x768), as obviously that's the max the VGA should be set to. Aren't all VGA resolutions progressive scan anyway, so technically the high VGA outputs would be better than 1080p?
  • Marviewarvie 23 Mar 2008 12:00:13 67 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well well well. Good timing on this thread (despite it's been inactive for a few days). According to Sharp, you're all wrong to a degree.

Here's my telly:
    http://www.sharp.co.uk/XD1-HD-Ready-1080p/LC42XD1EA-42-inch-Full-HD-LCD-TV/invt/lc42xd1ea&bklist=
    Now after a few telephone calls and an Engineer who had to visit my gaff twice to try to figure out just why my Telly wouldn't handle 1080 via VGA it was brought to light that the Telly just won't do it. Hardly a revelation for those of you in the know some of you have said some do, some don't), but my argument is where in God's fucking name does it state in the description of the said Telly that the top end resolution excludes all ports other than the HDMI? Hence me trying to take this a bit further as I believe that they haven't revealed the full features (or lack of) of the Telly.

After going through Consumer UK I was advised to send a nasty little letter claiming explaining they've violated the goods description act (which I believe they have) and set some ultimatums. I did, and this is what I got: http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3695/sharpresponsecensoreddj2.jpg[/IMG]

Nice that they've given me a brief overview of Microsoft's business strategies for the immediate future but that just glosses over the cracks that they're full of shit. Just to add a little more of a giggle to the situation, the component on the Telly does do 1080 whcih kind of mutes his argument of it "only applies to HDMI".

Anyone know a good solicitor? (The legal kind, not the $5 love you long time kind)

*EDIT: Arrrrgggghhhh, can't get either of the links to work properly. Anyone got the code for changing the link text and I'll squash them up?*
  • Marviewarvie 23 Mar 2008 16:13:37 67 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers David for fixing up the links, very much appreciated.

As for the "Lol @ compensation" I'm not too sure why it's so funny. But I'll waffle some more and explain why I'm after "justice".

I've ended up weighing out 800 for a product which doesn't exactly do what I was led to believe. My argument extends to I was led to believe this due to not just what the advert says, but what it doesn't say. My "extensive" (read: basic) knowledge of HD TV's I'm aware that the 3 types of TV connections that provide a HD display are HDMI, Component and VGA. If someone can show me where in the advert and description of the TV that I've bought clearly states THIS TV DOES NOT PRODUCE THE HIGHEST RESOLUTION ADVERTISED VIA IT'S VGA INPUT, I'm more than happy to admit I'm wrong and piss and moan quietly to myself because I didn't read the description properly.

Now take into account that the Engineer wasn't aware that VGA don't support 1080. Now add the OP who posed the question. Then add people who have have posted which in conclusion say that some firms do, some firms don't. Add a smidge of "official Sharp response" that only ONE company provides 1080 via it's VGA.....

If one company isn't actually aware of what the "Industry Standard" is, how the fuck are the common (oh I'm common, and a bit simple) folk like myself supposed to know?

This isn't supposed to be a confrontational response to your comments David to start a flame war, merely an explanation of why I feel wronged by a huge multi-conglomerate company.

And this isn't supposed to be derogatory, more so complimentary: if you buy a product for 800 notes and it don't do quite what you thought it would do and you can respond by thinking "awww fuck it, don't matter" I'm so so so very envious of your financial status.

(Lend me a fiver?)
  • Trowel 23 Mar 2008 16:20:37 17,913 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Err, I might have missed something, but rather than hiring a solicitor, why not just take it back to the shop and change it for a different TV?

For what it's worth I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on in a legal case as clearly the telly does do 1080p; my telly doesn't show a picture when I have it turned off, but I'm willing to accept that design flaw.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2008 18:32:44
    gentlemen, I have a problem. My component cable for some reaosn will not output in 1080p. It only does 1080i. I have been in the dashboard settings and tried changing to 1080p and nothing happens. It just stays at 1080i. My PS3 in contrast outputs at 1080p using HDMI. Im guessing the only way to get 1080p is to buy a new 360 with a HDMI port? :/
  • Luvbeers 4 Apr 2008 09:08:23 918 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rdysn5 wrote:
    gentlemen, I have a problem. My component cable for some reaosn will not output in 1080p. It only does 1080i. I have been in the dashboard settings and tried changing to 1080p and nothing happens. It just stays at 1080i. My PS3 in contrast outputs at 1080p using HDMI. Im guessing the only way to get 1080p is to buy a new 360 with a HDMI port? :/

Can your PS3 do 1080p over component? and does VGA with the 360 and your TV work? If the answer is no and no then the answer to your question is yes.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2008 16:12:48
    The answer is I don't know. I dont have a PS3 component cable or a 360 VGA cable. :D
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous