Horror Games

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous
  • Bulbatron 14 Mar 2008 16:47:29 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was thinking of buying Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth for my Xbox 360, (I believe it is on the backwards compatibility list) but I can't decide whether to or not, so some opinions on the game would be appreciated.

My main concern is the difficulty-level, which is meant to be quite high - and I am not that skilled a gamer. What attracted me to Call of Cthulhu, was that it looks quite atmospheric, and I'm a sucker for a bit of atmosphere.

I have listed the other horror games I have finished, and where appropriate, I have put what difficulty I finished it on.

Since Call of Cthulhu is in first-person, I will put the first-person ones first.

Condemned - Easy
    Project Zero II (Xbox version with FPS view) - Easy
    The Suffering - Easy
    F.E.A.R. - Easy
    BioShock - Hard (but with Vita-Chambers ON)
    The Darkness - Easy

Eternal Darkness
    Resident Evil
    Resident Evil 2 - Normal
    Resident Evil 3 - Normal
    Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X
    Resident Evil Zero - Easy
    Resident Evil Remake - Easy (might have done Normal - can't remember)
    Resident Evil 4 - Normal (including Seperate Ways)
    Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare
    ObsCure - Normal
    Silent Hill - Normal
    Silent Hill 2 - Nornal
    Silent Hill 3 - Normal
    Silent Hill 4 - Easy
    Dead Rising - (72 Hour Mode and Overtime Mode)

Also, I started Doom 3 on Easy and was doing OK, but then I couldn't get past the first of the big bosses.

I also tried The Thing, but I was rubbish at it and gave up fairly quickly.

So, should I go for Call of Cthulhu (assuming I can find a copy), or is it likely to be way beyond my skill?

Also, can anybody tell me if Haunting Ground, Clock Tower or Obscure 2 on the PlayStation 2 are worth getting. I would also ask about Rule of Rose, but I believe that was banned.

I am currently looking forwards to Silent Hill - Origins on PlayStation 2 (never had a PSP) and also Condemned 2, Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill V and Alan Wake on the Xbox 360.

Wow - what a mansion!

• TechnoHippy 14 Mar 2008 16:50:25 14,642 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    I was thinking of buying Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth for my Xbox 360, (I believe it is on the backwards compatibility list) but I can't decide whether to or not, so some opinions on the game would be appreciated.

Get it, it's great.

Edit: as for difficulty, it has a few tricky moments, but nothing too bad.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• jellyhead 14 Mar 2008 16:53:09 24,350 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a bunch of threads around here for horror games but as it's such a fun topic and it's been a while since the last one let's continue! :)

Point 1: Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth
    Buy it. It's not the best game you've played and it's quite challenging in places but holy moley it has some astounding atmosphere. The "Escape from Innsmouth" level is will get your heart fit to burst out of your chest. :)

You've played a lot of the games i was going to recommend so all i will say is if you have a PC then pick up a copy of Vampire: The Masquerade.

Cool! That reminds me, a forumite still has my copy of Masquerade the lucky bugger! :) Must chase them up to get it back.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• von_Doll 14 Mar 2008 16:56:33 2,096 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Thing is awesome.

I demand you go back to 2002 and play it right now. I'd imagine it's pretty darn dated in 2008.

Got Cthulhu, still ain't played it properly though, but from what I've seen of it, you'd probably get a better appreciation and understanding of the game by reading a little Lovecraft.

My understanding is that it's basically a game adaptation of 'The Shadow Over Insmouth', which is a rocking short story.

Yes dear, I'm linking your new website everwhere I go. see - www.alldogsgotoerinn.com

• Bulbatron 14 Mar 2008 17:02:15 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry jellyhead, I should have done a search first. I didn't even think. D'oh!

I've got a PC, but I'm not much of a PC player and I wouldn't even be able to tell you what the specs of it are.

I'm also in the midst of playing Castlevania - Symphony of the Night on Xbox Live Arcade, but guess what - I'm rubbish at it! Oh yeah, I was also rubbish at Evil Dead - Hail to the King on PSone. I also tried Evil Dead - A Fistful of Boomstick, but didn't enjoy it much.

As for Cthulhu, somebody on Amazon said they don't like difficult games, but they still liked Cthulhu - so that's encouraging.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is the save system like. Is it save anywhere or checkpoints?

Go on, you may as well say it - it's bloody checkpoints, isn't it? :-)

Wow - what a mansion!

• Bulbatron 14 Mar 2008 17:11:37 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    von_Doll, I certainly plan to read some Lovecraft at some point, so the story you mention sounds as though it could be a good place to start.

As for The Thing - perhaps I'll give it another go. After all, I love the film. It was only recently I tried it for the first time. I don't mind playing old games - I still play PSone games! I'm not very good at games where you have to babysit NPCs.

Wow - what a mansion!

• kalel 14 Mar 2008 17:17:15 83,880 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Thing is kind of broken, and it cheats a bit, but it is pretty excellent despite that. A flawed gem as they say.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2008 17:17:40
    BOO

haha scared you
  • jellyhead 14 Mar 2008 17:18:01 24,350 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't worry about the save system in Cthulhu, Bulbatron!
    There's not much blood on the Checkpoints. ;)

It is checkpoints but they're not too bad. Thinking about it i think it's more a case of checkpoints and then save points where you can choose to save at or not. Anyway, they're not game breaking by any means.

I'd forgotten about Penumbra trilogy.
    Very atmospheric, oh yes indeed. Especially with headphones or 5.1 sound. The interface and interaction with objects can be a bit clunky at times but once it clicks it's great. They can be a little slow paced for some gamers is all i can say.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• von_Doll 14 Mar 2008 17:32:06 2,096 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The Thing is kind of broken, and it cheats a bit, but it is pretty excellent despite that. A flawed gem as they say.

The plot is definitely broken, this much is true. But it has a nerve-shredding stand-off in a cabin and, if I remember rightly, you can peer at Keith David's frozen corpse.

I might be making that last bit up.

Yes dear, I'm linking your new website everwhere I go. see - www.alldogsgotoerinn.com

• kalel 14 Mar 2008 17:35:15 83,880 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    von_Doll wrote:
    kalel wrote:

The plot is definitely broken, this much is true. But it has a nerve-shredding stand-off in a cabin and, if I remember rightly, you can peer at Keith David's frozen corpse.

I might be making that last bit up.

Its not just the plot that is broken, one of the main game play mechanisms the one where you can test people to see if they are infected is just a sham. If they are scripted to turn, then they will regardless of whether they tested negative.

Apart from that it is pretty damn cool. Some really excellent sequences.
  • Bulbatron 14 Mar 2008 18:04:51 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Don't worry about the save system in Cthulhu, Bulbatron!
    There's not much blood on the Checkpoints. ;)

It is checkpoints but they're not too bad. Thinking about it i think it's more a case of checkpoints and then save points where you can choose to save at or not. Anyway, they're not game breaking by any means.

I'd forgotten about Penumbra trilogy.
    Very atmospheric, oh yes indeed. Especially with headphones or 5.1 sound. The interface and interaction with objects can be a bit clunky at times but once it clicks it's great. They can be a little slow paced for some gamers is all i can say.

Cheers for the info. I think I'll take the plunge and give it a go.

One game that is good for atmosphere is Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare. It is a farily standard old-school survival horror type game, but the atmosphere created, mainly by the audio, is great!

I REALLY hope the new Alone in the Dark will be good.

Wow - what a mansion!

• absolutezero 14 Mar 2008 18:23:23 7,956 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If theres one thing that the Forbidden Siren games got right its Atmosphere and tension.

Its just a shame that its so Goddamn difficult.

Looking at my collection I would also suggest Haunting Ground, for feel and some awesome enemy characters.

Bugger I always forget to mention Echo Night : Beyond in these threads.
  • sanctusmortis 14 Mar 2008 19:10:02 9,590 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:You've played a lot of the games i was going to recommend so all i will say is if you have a PC then pick up a copy of Vampire: The Masquerade.

Which one? I'd say both the ancient Redemption one (now fan patched to a great level) and the newer Bloodlines (also, ironically, having to be fan patched to a great level) are great. And I own both ^_^ (plus the P&PRPG on CD and a few books...)
  • Bulbatron 14 Mar 2008 19:10:09 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I may have to give Haunting Ground a look. I don't think I'll even make the attempt at Forbidden Siren. I'm sure I read that it was even more difficult than Cthulhu!

Wow - what a mansion!

• seasidebaz 14 Mar 2008 21:44:23 6,126 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    get yourself a gamecube with eternal darkness... should be able to get it for about 20, well worth it
  • funkstar 14 Mar 2008 22:10:42 1,194 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    eternal darkness is in his list...

i dont see any fatal frame (project zero) games listed there though, they are probably worth a go!

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Kami 14 Mar 2008 22:13:43 2,374 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haunting Ground is sweet as. It's a very interesting horror with plenty to do. Not everyones cup of tea and some pretty screwed-up themes...

But I loved it so much I wrote a walkthrough for it.

And yes.

Yes it sucked.

But it was fun!

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• seasidebaz 14 Mar 2008 23:03:45 6,126 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ah sorry, have drunk lots of beer and can't be bothered to read!
  • Foregone Reality 15 Mar 2008 00:33:33 2,218 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Project Zero 2 ftw.

Never got the chance to play 3..very hard to find.
  • GiarcYekrub 15 Mar 2008 01:02:43 3,583 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shadowman on the N64 was cool
  • Angel_Treats 15 Mar 2008 08:16:40 11,072 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Obscure on the PC is very good. And it has two player co-op if you're into that sort of thing.

There's also a sequel but we can't even get that to run properly, it keeps dumping you back to the desktop.
  • Bulbatron 15 Mar 2008 13:30:57 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    funkstar wrote:
    eternal darkness is in his list...

i dont see any fatal frame (project zero) games listed there though, they are probably worth a go!

Project Zero II - Crimson Butterfly - Director's Cut is on my list. I played the Xbox version in first-person mode. I've only done it on Easy so far though. I haven't yet plucked up the courage to try it on Normal!

Angel_Treats, I've played Obscure on the Xbox (and PS2, for that matter). I quite enjoyed that game. Good creepy music.

It's a shame that Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Redemption was never made as an actual sequal, only appearing as an insanity effect.

Does anybody remember Nightmare Creatures on the PSone? Did anybody ever play the sequal? I never did - only the original. Always wondered what the sequal was like.

Wow - what a mansion!

• funkstar 15 Mar 2008 13:51:54 1,194 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oops - so it is

i think FF/project zero 1 + 3 are probably the better games in the series though, so you should give them a try if you can :)

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• DUFFMAN5 15 Mar 2008 14:12:16 13,818 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is a great game, I found it hard to hardish, but worth it.
    Forbidden Siren 1 and 2 are very good horror games.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Bulbatron 15 Mar 2008 19:22:55 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    funkstar wrote:
    oops - so it is

i think FF/project zero 1 + 3 are probably the better games in the series though, so you should give them a try if you can :)

I did try the first Project Zero game on the PlayStation 2. I wasn't very good at it. Perhaps I'll give it another go. Project Zero III is meant to be quite difficult. Another thing I said in my original post is that I suck at games! :-)

Wow - what a mansion!

• Kami 15 Mar 2008 21:56:48 2,374 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Project Zero 3 is a massive disappointment for the series. It basically tries to do a Silent Hill 4, shoehorning in bits of the past games to try and give it some credibility (and fails miserably at that). It's an okay game, but so was Silent Hill 4. Take it on it's own, it's decent. Compare it to it's predecessors? Oh dear.

However, may I also suggest Cold Fear? It's certainly not a horror game that rocks the world, but it's still a fairly decent crack at it.

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• oldschoolsoviet 15 Mar 2008 22:31:10 5,415 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gregory Horror Show ?
    Everybody should play this gem, absolutely brillant tension throughout, although more "weird" scary than outright terror. Might look cute, but just wait till someone chases you....... :o

+1 for Forbidden Siren (and its much improved sequel), any game that allows you to "see" through the enemies eyes = genius. The fact that they ain't your regular zombies either, and can still perform basic tasks is even scarier. Cue me hiding in an elevator, thinking I was safe when one of them opened the doors ! Quickly pressed down, exited the lift, and hid again. Using the Sightjack, I then looked through that zombies eyes as he waited for the lift and then used it to follow me...................

Come to think of it, that was the last time I played it.......
  • Bulbatron 16 Mar 2008 02:42:05 825 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I forgot about Cold Fear and Gregory Horror show. I'll have to look into both of them.

I'm playing F.E.A.R. Files on the Xbox 360 at the moment. Not really horror, as such but it's not too bad - apart from when I run out of ammo!

Wow - what a mansion!

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous