STRICT NAT - BTHomeHub, Tried most things.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Finchie6 11 Mar 2008 18:06:24 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey guys,

I am yet to experience the wonderful feeling of an OPEN NAT, hoping some of you guys might have the solutions to my dream. :p

I have my 360 connected to my PC via an ethernet cable for which I have ICS setup, my PC recieves the internet connection from my BTHomeHub (Software version: 6.2.6.E) via a wireless adaptor.

I have tried using the application sharing feature that BT offers, setting the XBox live feature to my PC, but that doesnt seem to work. I have tried restoring factory settings on the Hub, that also doesn't work.

UPnP is enabled.

i did try DMZ, but in the HomeHub manager, all you do is select a device, and I cant see what that does to my XBox Live.

So I am hoping someone in here can help me resolve this darn issue!

Look forward to your responses,
    Finchie
    MSN : liam@dsrpg2.co.uk
  • MikeP 11 Mar 2008 18:16:03 2,029 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was using a stupid Speed Touch modem for a while which always set my NAT to strict. I assigned my XBox to the DMZ and then when I tested the NAT for Live it came up as open.

It's not a vulnerable device like a PC so you should be fine to do it.

Ah, you said you connect the 360 via the PC? Can you get the 360 to obtain a connection from the Home Hub directly? If you can get an IP address allocated to the 360 specifically it should be easy to pop it into the DMZ.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• sanctusmortis 11 Mar 2008 19:23:35 9,706 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, ICS does bad things, so it's always better to go direct.
  • EddieBear 11 Mar 2008 19:25:53 560 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Turn it off at the plug. Turn it back on again.

That worked with mine I think.
  • Badass2 11 Mar 2008 19:31:45 6 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got the BTHomeHub too, make sure it's upto revision 6.2.6.E, go into Advanced > Application Sharing and make sure the xbox isn't listed (it's IP address should be in the 'Devices' menu though). Go to the 'UPnP' menu and make sure 'Use UPnP' is on and then restart your hub. Check the status in the Network settings of your xbox and it should say the NAT is now Open.

Mine tends to change itself back to Strict every now and again but all you have to do from then on is switch the hub off at the wall, wait 20 seconds and then switch it on again.
  • Ryze 11 Mar 2008 20:34:25 3,147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't put your PC in the DMZ!
  • CLOSEALDO 11 Mar 2008 21:27:05 32 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    portforward.com

dont know whether they have anything on your router there...this website solved my NAT issues by telling me what i had to do for xbox 360 live.

hopefully the other tips has sorted this. this whole thing sent me mad for a long time until i fixed it.
  • Finchie6 11 Mar 2008 22:53:38 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, PORTFORWARDING doesnt need to be done on BTHomeHub apparently.

I now have UPnP on , it isnt listed in the application sharing menu, however it isnt listed in my devices menu either? is this because I am runnign teh xbox direct to my PC instead of router?

On XBox it says my IP is 192.168.0.21 , however the PC its running off has an IP of 192.168.1.67, and all devices are 192.168.1.**

Is there anything else I can do?

Turning the Hub on and off doesnt do anything

Finch
  • morriss 11 Mar 2008 22:55:43 71,283 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NAT woes
  • Finchie6 11 Mar 2008 23:07:39 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss, I have done absolutely everythign in that post, I see that yours worked with UPnP enabled and nothing else, that is how my setup is, as we speak.
  • Quint2020 12 Mar 2008 09:45:00 3,484 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ahhhh Homeheap, how we love thee.

I've got a netgear router and i have literally tried everything to get it from "Moderate" to "Open" with no luck, i just gave up in the end, doesen't seem to make much of a difference anyway.
  • MMMarmite 12 Mar 2008 09:58:13 1,084 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moderate isn't too bad and can be lived with but strict is lame.

Also finchie if your getting a 192.168.0.* ip address then its not being assigned by the router.

Have you tried using a static ip on your xbox? try setting it to 192.168.1.200 and see what it gives you, also if you can connect it directly to the router rather than through the pc you may have more luck.
  • sanctusmortis 12 Mar 2008 10:18:19 9,706 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quint2020 wrote:
    Ahhhh Homeheap, how we love thee.

I've got a netgear router and i have literally tried everything to get it from "Moderate" to "Open" with no luck, i just gave up in the end, doesen't seem to make much of a difference anyway.

It's funny, mine sorted itself. I'm using a DG834G (from when you had to BUY them...), and I always got Moderate. Recently, though, it's Open - and all I've changed is opening the ports for WMP 11 file sharing. Try it, you never know...

My full setup on Netgear:

360 settings - set to Automatic
    Router - UPnP on, add all WMP 11 services and activate in firewall rules for all users
  • B1gCheese 12 Mar 2008 23:16:19 1 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tried opening ports :

UDP 88
    UDP 3074
    TCP 3074

on both your router & windows firewall/3rd party firewall?
  • Doomspoon 13 Mar 2008 01:18:34 2,503 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had problems with my previous setup. I was using a 1 port ADSL modem/router hooked up to a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port. I owned the 4 port due to previously connecting through the downstairs cable setup, (all messy but we're running two lots of broadband here :S). Anyhow, no matter what I did I couldn't get off moderate. The only thing I didn't try was bridging (see bottom of page and follow links.) I didn't actually go the bridging route, instead bought a 4 port ADSL modem/router off a friend to cut back on the fiddly configuration.

I confess I know knackers all about networking. I do know that I tried everything that everyone else had recommended with regard to DMZs and port forwarding and still didn't resolve the problem. ICS is, as has been stated, your biggest problem. Read up on the bridging configuration and hopefully this will fix it.
  • Finchie6 13 Mar 2008 18:06:41 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can someone that knows what they are talking about and has experience add me on MSN to guide me throguh it, nothing is fixing my NAT!

MSN: liam@dsrpg2.co.uk
  • Fobocop 13 Mar 2008 18:17:45 90 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That link that Doomspoon posted is definately your best bet - I had a strict homehub Nat, went through that guide and it was fine.

If you have tried all that then maybe try contacting BT directly - maybe you have a faulty router?
  • Finchie6 13 Mar 2008 18:44:36 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The thing is, in the link doom gave:

Software version 6.2.6.E

As with version C, no need to set-up any services for Xbox live anymore, this revision contains more bug fixes. If you have set-up application/game sharing in the past, I'd suggest a factory reset to clear everything out and start afresh.

I have this evrsion, so nothing needs to be done!
  • Doomspoon 13 Mar 2008 19:48:47 2,503 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You'll still need to setup the bridging as in effect your PC is acting as a second router and thus you're double NAT'd.

I can't offer any direct help short of suggesting Googling 'ICS' 'Homehub' and 'bridging' to see what results you get.

Either that or buy a different ADSL modem as rated on that link. Assuming you're only using the broadband for the PC/360 config.

Seriously, the key problem is your ICS through the PC and not the Hub itself. In fairness that post I made lastnight didn't link directly to bridging configs, for which I apologise.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next