Boxing Page 44

• Page

of 57 First / Last

• Deleted user 15 September 2013 21:16:48
    senso-ji wrote:
    Pressure doesn't work against Mayweather as his defensive skills are second to none and his counter punching is devastating. Ask Ricky Hatton how well his pressure game worked.

Better than most actually.

The worst thing to do against Floyd is box with him, as he's too good at it. If you give him time and space, he settles into a rhythm and just picks you off and is always one step ahead.

You HAVE to pressure Floyd. It's more or less the only way anyone has had success against him. It disrupts his flow, doesn't give the time and space he needs to outthink you.

Did you follow Floyd's career back at 130? The 2 fighters that had the most success there were Jesus Chavez and Carlos Hernandez, both run of the mill pressure fighters and both smaller than Floyd. Yet they managed to make a fight of it through relentless pressure. Far more than Chico managed, even though he was a superior fighter to either of them.

The problem is he was a patient stalker/puncher, and gave Floyd the time and space he needed to do whatever he wanted, and pick him off at will.

Have you seen the first Castillo fight? Castillo applied steady intelligent pressure, that disrupted Floyd's rhythm, and he arguably won that fight. He was on Floyd's case in every round, punched with him, and used an aggressive jab to get inside, rather than just blindly plod after him like Alvarez and other scrubbier fighters.

Have you seen the Cotto fight? He did better than any recent Floyd opponent. How? By doing a poor man's Duran impression. Old schoolp pressure fighting, bullying Floyd to the ropes, tagging his body, tying him up, smothering him, not giving him room to work.

So yes, pressure works very well against Floyd, it's almost the only thing that does work, it just so happens he hasn't fought a pressure fighter that's good enough to beat him clearly.

Edited by rumblesushi at 21:17:58 15-09-2013
  • elstoof 15 Sep 2013 21:18:20 8,302 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't recall Ricky ever saying he was robbed.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2013 21:21:17
    elstoof wrote:
    I don't recall Ricky ever saying he was robbed.
    It wouldn't have made much difference as Floyd is just a much better fighter than Hatton, but Cortez was a biased piece of shit in that fight, like many others, make no mistake. He was on Hatton's case constantly, all the while letting Floyd get away with his blatant elbows and forearm to the throat.
  • senso-ji 15 Sep 2013 21:34:57 6,039 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @rumblesushi

De La Hoya mixed it up against Mayweather, both a pressure game and a counter punching one and he earned a close split-decision. The fighters you mentioned, including Cotto fought with pressure but didn't win, and no one reckons any of them deserved to walk away with a victory. Using the same tactic each time is not going to work if nobody has walked away with a victory using it.

As Floyd said in the recent All Access series: 'How can you write the blue print on how to beat me, if you've never beaten me?'
  • Deleted user 15 September 2013 21:44:56
    Oscar did best in the first half of the fight working behind an aggressive jab. When he eased up and tried to box and counter more in the second half, Floyd started to sweep the rounds.

So once again, an aggressive style does work best against him.

And regarding the fighters I mentioned that pressured Floyd but didn't win and "No one reckons any of them deserved to walk away with a victory".

That's also completely untrue. Many people scored the first Castillo fight for Castillo, including HBO iirc.

Personally I think Castillo won that fight clear. He was the champ, he was the aggressor, he dictated the action and landed more punches. I think it's a borderline robbery.
  • roz123 19 Sep 2013 15:54:02 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Amazing photo from BBC's Ken Norton obituary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24162167
  • whatfruit 19 Sep 2013 16:19:59 1,680 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Oscar did best in the first half of the fight working behind an aggressive jab. When he eased up and tried to box and counter more in the second half, Floyd started to sweep the rounds.

And regarding the fighters I mentioned that pressured Floyd but didn't win and "No one reckons any of them deserved to walk away with a victory".

That's also completely untrue. Many people scored the first Castillo fight for Castillo, including HBO iirc.

Personally I think Castillo won that fight clear. He was the champ, he was the aggressor, he dictated the action and landed more punches. I think it's a borderline robbery.
    The reason why Oscar faded and why every other fighter that goes for the pressure game ultimately fails is because once you start to slow down in the mid rounds, Money can hit you at will and he becomes impossible to hit. The other part that all pressure fighters discover when they fight money is that he is incredibly skilled on the inside.

They only way I see a pressure fighter beating Money is to do what Hagler did to Hearns. Go into the ring not to fight a twelve round match but a 6 round war.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Punctum 19 Sep 2013 18:16:08 1,041 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Amazing photo from BBC's Ken Norton obituary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24162167
    Sad news indeed. Great fighter and provided one of the greatest fights ever against Larry Holmes.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2013 12:44:34
    David Haye postpones Fury fight.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2013 13:16:02
    Downer. Was looking forward to that :(
  • Dougs 21 Sep 2013 14:07:29 69,469 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pfft, the pair of them are wankers of the highest order.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2013 14:12:07
    whatfruit wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:

The reason why Oscar faded and why every other fighter that goes for the pressure game ultimately fails is because once you start to slow down in the mid rounds, Money can hit you at will and he becomes impossible to hit. The other part that all pressure fighters discover when they fight money is that he is incredibly skilled on the inside.

They only way I see a pressure fighter beating Money is to do what Hagler did to Hearns. Go into the ring not to fight a twelve round match but a 6 round war.
    Nah, Oscar fades because he has bad stamina, it's the story of his career really. And it's why he's had so many close, somewhat controversial decisions. He was a very good fighter but at some point after the halfway point he would fade, it happened Vs Tito, Quartey, Mosley etc.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2013 14:13:16
    Dougs wrote:
    Pfft, the pair of them are wankers of the highest order.
    That's right, I'm not even sure who to root for.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2013 16:31:13
    Haye is a total twat though isn't he. Talking absurd amounts of shit to the Klits, then getting in there and fighting like a pussy, not taking any chances at all really, to try and exploit Wlad's awful chin. If you talk shit, great, but at least back it up.

Having said that Fury is an utter goon too, and equally full of shit.

Haye is the better fighter and SHOULD win, but Fury has blind faith in his own mediocre ability, a lot of confidence, and he's big. I wouldn't be shocked if he managed to outwork Haye to a decision. Haye is the safe pick though obviously.
  • senso-ji 21 Sep 2013 17:11:46 6,039 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is the second fight in a row that Haye has pulled out of with an injury. Wonder if he'll manage to go through with the fight this time round (the injury looks bad, not sure how long it'll take to recover fully from that).
  • LionheartDJH 10 Oct 2013 14:58:52 19,541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lennox will fight Wladimir Klitschko... for $100m.

Love this comment:

jb-footie says

You would get knocked, no wonder he wants that much money, will have to use it to pay his hospital bills
    Edited by LionheartDJH at 15:03:49 10-10-2013

She dives for cheese pasties

• Kostabi 10 Oct 2013 15:05:24 5,086 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As dull as the Wladimir fight last week was he's still more than capable of putting a 48 year old Lennox into a box.

I reckon they could get $100m for the Klitschsko's to fight each other but not for a tubby Lennox Lewis who wants his hair plugs punched out.
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Oct 2013 19:12:28 14,439 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lewis has already denied it.
    He's happy being retired and hiding in the closet....err, I mean settled into family life.
  • altitude2k 9 Nov 2013 10:50:10 4,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This kid is crazy awesome!

• Grax 9 Nov 2013 11:15:35 2,296 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Has Tyson fury been knocked out yet?
  • senso-ji 17 Nov 2013 19:39:38 6,039 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    David Haye pulls out of the Fury bout a second time; may retire after shoulder surgery
  • Syrette 17 Nov 2013 20:58:59 44,207 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd feel sorry for Fury, but...

• Greggy_wocky 23 Nov 2013 19:23:42 19 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hello - any streams for tonight's froch-fest? I'm in a hotel so can't watch it 'honestly'..

got this so far: SoftSports

Edited by Greggy_wocky at 19:26:39 23-11-2013
  • dagoberto 23 Nov 2013 19:27:28 280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keep checking wiziwig mate, hopefully bloodzeed will be doing it.
  • ibenam 23 Nov 2013 19:48:23 1,535 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ignore any codec requests and cross out the ads in the windows
  • EnsoProductions 23 Nov 2013 19:57:09 31 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    What time does it start tonight (not the build up)?
  • EnsoProductions 23 Nov 2013 19:57:09 31 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • Kostabi 23 Nov 2013 19:58:59 5,086 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    11-ish

http://www.matchroomboxing.com/schedule/carl_froch_v_george_groves.htm

Edited by Kostabi at 19:59:24 23-11-2013
  • Page

of 57 First / Last