Boxing

• Page

of 49 First / Last

Previous
  • Calgon 8 Mar 2008 21:45:04 531 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First: Who's looking forward for the David Haye vs Enzo Maccarinelli fight tonight/this morning?

I cant pick this one because Haye thinks he's more experienced but he's not, he has more experience at the top flight may be(but as far as I can see the majority of his opponents were in the same class as enzos for the most part), enzo actually has a better record depending how you look at it he's fought more and has more knockouts as a result.

I do like Haye's boxing style(despite his stuck up attitude shown so far which is aside from the usual press conference showboating and hype talk but he doesnt seem that bad) he's slick and flashy and pleasing to watch from what Ive seen and the americans will probably take to him better(probably why he spends so much time in Miami and anywhere but the UK).

Enzo Mac has speed and power in both hands(good movement and technical skill too I beleive he doesnt drop his hands like Haye does sometimes) and a better chin Id say(theyve both been knocked out though), plus he's been under one of the greatest trainers in the world in Enzo Calzaghe for a while now(is it 2 years or so?) so its just a matter of time(with the potential he has) before Calzaghe moulds him into another great.

May the best man win, I just hope they both have a good fight, that way nobody loses any respect because they both have great potential and both brittish. It will be on HBO in America but I doubt theyve gave it the attention its gotten here, still they will both have that in mind.

Second: Is there not group for boxing here yet? Seems like its back now, some good match ups made this year.

Third: EA make another Fight Night!
  • Deleted user 8 March 2008 21:46:31
    I am hoping to stay awake and watch this fight has to be more enjoyable than the Hatton/Mayweather fight. In that I think it could be quite brutal.

Which is what we want right.
  • The-Bodybuilder 8 Mar 2008 21:52:01 13,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For the first time in a fight, I really cannot decide who's going to win.

It can seriously go either way.
  • Calgon 8 Mar 2008 22:02:19 531 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Prawnking: Yeah it could have been alot better but that was the refs making in that fight, did you hear the amount of boos he got in the earlier rounds? It didnt help Hatton at all, I mean he wasnt going to outbox Mayweather we all knew that, so as the fight went on he started loosing concentration(if he ever had it... he looked to be loosing his cool at the weigh in and looked dazed before the opening bell) and doing exactly what he told his critics he wouldnt... no head movement, no defence, coming forward in straight lines throwing too many hooks = Mayweather sidestep and timed a perfectly placed punch as he almost literally ran onto it chin first.

I hope he fights Witter maybe his loss will do him good, he might actually work on his failings in and out of the ring then, he's deffinately had some cracking fights but he will want to finnish his career on a high which might mean some changes.
  • Orange 8 Mar 2008 23:22:49 4,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Calgon wrote:
    First: Who's looking forward for the David Haye vs Enzo Maccarinelli fight tonight/this morning?

I cant pick this one because Haye thinks he's more experienced but he's not, he has more experience at the top flight may be(but as far as I can see the majority of his opponents were in the same class as enzos for the most part), enzo actually has a better record depending how you look at it he's fought more and has more knockouts as a result.
    Sorry but that is a complete joke. Haye's record is far superior to Enzo's, going over to France to knock out the number 1 in the division who also a p4p top 10 fighter. Not to mention flattening the likes of Gurov.

Enzo hasn't beaten anyone worthwhile, the nearest he has to a decent win is Braithwaite, and Braithwaite had only 1 fight in 2 years beforehand and he had been well exposed at the top level already.
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Mar 2008 01:16:17 13,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know of any way to watch this without sh*tanta?
  • Calgon 9 Mar 2008 03:27:41 531 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its over just how they said it would be, early stoppage with the first to land a big shot... either could have landed it because they are both heavy hitters but Haye was the man.

Orange: Mormeck was his toughest opponent since he got KO'd by Thompson, most of them werent anywhere near that caliber, infact people called him crazy when he did it... because he wasnt ready for it(proved them wrong and props to him), my point was he's not had that many fights mate, its only just begun for him really(infact he's never had coverage as big as tonight either).

So no he hasnt been fighting top flight fighters or taking big risks all his career thats no joke and he does have a questionable chin to be moving up in weight but he might just be too slick for them because lets face it, its just not what it once was it needs shaking up. I hope he does it too he looks the business technically speaking, lets see if he can.

Enzo will not forget this one in a hurry and Calzaghe wont let him either, you might not agree but Enzo mac did have all the tools to beat him and a far better more experienced trainer... it wasnt his time tonight.
  • Calgon 9 Mar 2008 03:42:09 531 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Joe's something else yeah and B-hop knows it I think, which means he'll bring everything he has for Joe... who seems to keep finding new levels within himself(Bhops faded in performances despite being in awesome shape for his age, Joes just got better with age... a true great). I just feel Enzo didnt get going, its shame for him really when youve got people like Orange who will now say he didnt have a chance...

Who do you think will get the attention at the Calzaghe camp when Joe retires? Enzo Calzaghe knows what he's talking about, he has the right stuff... he should chill out a bit though, he's been getting really worked up recently to the press.
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Mar 2008 08:58:31 13,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So does anyone doubt Haye now?
  • Dougs 9 Mar 2008 11:08:10 64,888 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Fight, for those that missed it. Awesome punching by Haye.
  • Orange 9 Mar 2008 11:40:23 4,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Calgon wrote:
    Orange: Mormeck was his toughest opponent since he got KO'd by Thompson, most of them werent anywhere near that caliber, infact people called him crazy when he did it... because he wasnt ready for it(proved them wrong and props to him), my point was he's not had that many fights mate, its only just begun for him really(infact he's never had coverage as big as tonight either).

So no he hasnt been fighting top flight fighters or taking big risks all his career thats no joke and he does have a questionable chin to be moving up in weight but he might just be too slick for them because lets face it, its just not what it once was it needs shaking up. I hope he does it too he looks the business technically speaking, lets see if he can.

Enzo will not forget this one in a hurry and Calzaghe wont let him either, you might not agree but Enzo mac did have all the tools to beat him and a far better more experienced trainer... it wasnt his time tonight.
    You are taking the piss surely? oO

The only one with a shit record was Enzo Macc. He had been fighting complete bums like Bobby Gunn and the Kiwi lumberjack in his last fight, not one genuinely world class fight as Braithwaite was shot. Enzo was nowhere near taking on a fight at this level, as you could see from the nerves he had and how totally outclassed he was.

Haye on other hand had stepped up consistently, taking on a dangerous puncher and former champ in Gurov, a live fighter in Fragomeni for the Euro belt and then Mormeck. Haye had positioned himself as European Champion and WBC mandatory by working himself up the ranking, nobody who had a clue about boxing was particularly surprised that Haye made the attempt at the title. He had been stepping up fast every year and with his punching power and speed was always in with a chance to win if he could pace himself properly. The only reason people were surprised by the win is that Mormeck was the dominant champ in the division and fighting at home as a Don King fighter on a Don King card. It was a high risk fight, the type of fight the Sports Network fighters like Enzo usually avoid like the plague.

You sound like someone who has been listening to criticism of Enzo's career and then attributing it to to Haye. Or listening to a clearly mental Steve Collins.

Enzo's only hope to win was a lucky punch or more likely to try and survive as a punchbag in the early to mid rounds in the hope Haye would tire himself out having drained himself for the weight. That is not "having all the tools". He is a slow, one dimensional cruiser flattered by poor opposition and a promoter who knows how to hype him to the rafters while denigrating his rivals.

Cunningham the other current cruiser champion would box his ears off, and Enzo Calzaghe's "great" training is merely to get his fighters fit and relying on his son's carefully matched and now overhyped career.
  • Pirotic Moderator 9 Mar 2008 11:57:00 20,646 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think the odds were stacked that much in favour of Haye, he's a good puncher and was in better shape but the guy cuts easily and has a weak chin. I think the plan all along from Hayes corner was to finish it as early as possible, if it would of got past 6 sounds I could of imagined Enzo peppering him with punchs and eventually getting a points victory.

Agree that Joe is overated, when was the last time he had a proper fight?
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Mar 2008 17:16:25 13,614 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rooney wrote:
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    For the first time in a fight, I really cannot decide who's going to win.

It can seriously go either way.

watch boxing much?

Yes, I know haye was the far, far favourite.

But I'm somewhat pessimistic when I supports a team/someone. I do the same thing with arsenal.
  • Calgon 9 Mar 2008 19:10:53 531 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Orange you dont know boxing as well as you think you do then then its that simple... go on with your self you condescending ass(so you can do your wtf faces all you like mate lol right back at ya o_O how old are we?)... what you smoking? All at the same level as Mormeck? Were they fudge, as I said that was a BIG step up for him(and to argue against that is going against the experts so just shut up) he really hasnt been at the top level that long stop overhyping his opponents he's a good boxer but lets not try and pretend he's done more than he really has yet(the Gurov match was a bit shit... you'd have said he was shot if you werent up Hayes ass). He's got a long way to go himself yet, Im not the one hyping fighters up here its you. Hayes trainer is by far the most punchable you seen the guy? He's not had half the experience he's young and thinks he knows more than he really does. What a little douche he sounds and looks like "yeah man they fell for it... it was all planned lol".

Enzo Calzaghe's "great" training is merely to get his fighters fit

"You are taking the piss right?" No really is this a joke?

Enzo Calzaghe IS one of the best trainers in the world he's already acheived thats not hype its giving credit where credit is due... Joes last great fight was Kessler what fight were you watching? Right so other people(experts not part time watchers who get hyped by reading papers and talking down the pub) penned that fight as a contender for fight of the year(although Vasquez vs Marquez won alot of votes because it was a close battle/war which people prefer... Kessler vs Calzaghe did win a few though), Joe rightfully sees that as one of his best performances(are you mad or what? there was no bigger fight he could have made, how can you even begin to down play it now? give him props or atleast dont mention it otherwise it makes you sound clueless). The fact that Kessler trained his hardest for that match and was the same Kessler as always just tells you Joe made him look easy. Haye is nowhere near that level dont make me laugh hasnt got half the handspeed or technical brilliance Joe has shown in the ring recently.

Theres really no point arguing though orange but you could do with sorting your attitude out and try discussing things without opening it with an insult whilest posting more ignorrant one sided opinions.

I never said I didnt rate Haye he's proved his worth with Mormeck and now this... before then? Dont talk crap he started out good with a good amateur background and a good start to his pro career looking promising but then didnt fight nearly enough which is why its taken so long to get the recognition. Good luck to him at heavyweight though, Alexander Povetkin Vs David Haye might be good to see, I dont know if Haye would beable to handle that kind of power though, take a look at him.

edit: I can see why there is no boxing group here because everybody thinks they know better, some even repeating lines a boxer would say in a press conference as if it were the truth "you aint fought no one, just an overrated bum" ect... ah well never mind the group then, if this is an indication of how it would be its pretty darn pointless isnt it?
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2010 22:53:57 64,888 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mega Bump.

Watching a great Welterweight Commonwealth bout, Denton Vassell vs Lee Purdy. Proper toe to toe boxing. Great stuff.
  • TheHitman 16 Apr 2010 23:09:56 192 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cracking little fight that was. Vassell deservedly got the verdict but I wouldn't mind seeing a repeat of that as Purdy hurt him once or twice, particularly in the 7th.

Not on UK TV but Kelly Pavlik v Sergio Martinez is going to be a fascinating contest tomorrow night.
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2010 23:28:03 64,888 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah thoroughly enjoyed it. I do like a good fight, especially some of the mid level fights but rarely get the opportunity to....luckily the missus had passed out!
  • dnbuk 17 Apr 2010 00:23:07 4,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cotto/Foreman at Yankees stadium should be a good one too.

June 1st I think.
  • TheHitman 19 Apr 2010 11:09:31 192 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seems as good a place to post this as any.

One time WBC lightweight champ Edwin Valero has been arrested in Venezuela for reportedly murdering his wife. The story goes that he stabbed her in their hotel room and then came down to the lobby and told security what he had done.

In the last few months he had been in the headlines on several occasions. Firstly, for his excellent performance in defeating Antonio de Marco which suggested he was on his way to fulfilling some of his potential and not just being a 'hype job'. However, he also made the news after reports of him striking his mother and his sister, and threatening hospital staff after his wife was admitted because she, wait for it, "fell down the stairs".

UPDATE: It gets worse. Valero has now reportedly hanged himself in the cell he was being detained in. Fucking crazy.
  • Youthist 20 Nov 2010 15:42:34 9,896 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just found some good footage showing Tyson as he was coming through from the mid-80s. Some great footage for boxing fans, and a reminder to how fast he was when in his prime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FAsTMYyAo0

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Pirotic Moderator 20 Nov 2010 16:24:37 20,646 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The guy was a monster in pretty much every sense of the word. I don't really see much boxing in any of those videos, he's insanely aggressive and strong hitting. Half the time he doesn't even seem to know which corner to return to because he's lost in a red mist.

Not to say he didn't put on some pretty amazing spectacles, but I don't have much respect for him as a sportsman. I remember jumping around when Lewis beat him :)
  • Youthist 20 Nov 2010 16:32:26 9,896 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, fair comments in there. . I think in terms of pure excitement for H'Weight he is hard to beat. And no real boxing there? I think the opponents didn't really have time to hit back, the speed of his fists is almost too much for the VT at times, you can't see some of the punches. Very aggresive and hard hitting agreed, but extremely accurate and lightning fast.

IIRC correctly, Tyson was never actually even hurt / had never even shown a punch even affecting him until the first Bruno encounter in 1989, at which time Tyson had owned the division for about 3 years. Was an impressive record - I recall seeing Tyson actually wobble from a Bruno punch and it was hard to believe you were seeing him actually react to a punch.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Lukus 20 Nov 2010 19:02:29 18,955 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To say he's not much of a boxer or sportsman is unfair. His punching speed and accuracy was insane and his body movement great. The speed and strength in his combos was spectacular- If you were lucky enough to avoid the first or second punch in a combo, his third and fourth would almost certainly get you. Pure aggression is only going to get you so far without being technically proficient too.

Did anyone see the documentary on More Four last week? I think he came across very well, very articulate and extremely aware of himself and his surroundings. The media have always portrayed him as a monster, but it's probably unfair. A lot of his crazy behaviour makes much more sense when taken in the proper context.

Paintings & Photographs

• dnbuk 27 Nov 2010 06:33:28 4,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking Froch/Abraham fight is 14.95. It should be a great fight too, I think Froch might get KO'd though.
  • Youthist 27 Nov 2010 08:41:33 9,896 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    To say he's not much of a boxer or sportsman is unfair. His punching speed and accuracy was insane and his body movement great. The speed and strength in his combos was spectacular- If you were lucky enough to avoid the first or second punch in a combo, his third and fourth would almost certainly get you. Pure aggression is only going to get you so far without being technically proficient too.

Did anyone see the documentary on More Four last week? I think he came across very well, very articulate and extremely aware of himself and his surroundings. The media have always portrayed him as a monster, but it's probably unfair. A lot of his crazy behaviour makes much more sense when taken in the proper context.

Lukus I missed this, and I normally catch the good ones on More4. Can you recall the name, I want to try to get hold of it.
    cheers

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 27 Nov 2010 09:16:18 7,386 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's just called Tyson. Was released on DVD a few years ago.
  • Page

of 49 First / Last

Previous