Mad Men Page 13

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• scott1987 17 Apr 2013 10:19:42 134 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I started off politely asking people to have some consideration for those not pirating it.

It was when that turned out to be a big deal that I become disagreeable.
    +1

Considering its only 3 days later

Edited by scott1987 at 10:20:28 17-04-2013
  • Deleted user 17 April 2013 10:19:46
    imamazed wrote:
    @kalel You started off complaining about spoilers and chastising those who are watching ahead of the UK schedule (dirty pirates). I think you did take a pretty snide tone, but apologies if I misread that.

I don't mind at all, and, as I say, I'm not trying to present it as a noble cause or anything, I was just trying to provide some context.

I started off by simply posting this:

kalel wrote:
    Can we not talk about US pace please, or at least spoiler it.
    Edited by kalel at 10:20:29 17-04-2013
  • imamazed 17 Apr 2013 10:21:30 5,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    @kalel You started off complaining about spoilers and chastising those who are watching ahead of the UK schedule (dirty pirates). I think you did take a pretty snide tone, but apologies if I misread that.

I don't mind at all, and, as I say, I'm not trying to present it as a noble cause or anything, I was just trying to provide some context.

I started off by simply posting this:

kalel wrote:
    Can we not talk about US pace please, or at least spoiler it.
    and then this straight after to a very reasonable (not mine) post:

"I don't see why thieving pirates should dictate the pace of these things. "

EDIT - but, forget it anyway, I can't see the point in this. I think we should just agree to spoiler things regardless of whether we're one episode ahead or with the UK pace.

Edited by imamazed at 10:21:40 17-04-2013

Edited by imamazed at 10:23:17 17-04-2013
  • imamazed 18 Apr 2013 10:44:23 5,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got round to watching episode 3 last night; a hum-dinger I thought.

Thoughts:

[SPOILER]1. Good God, I knew Trudy would have blow up eventually, but that didn't make it any less shocking. Pete took it as only Pete can. "You could at least be discreet about it". Oh, that really hurt from Trudy.

2. "That was Churchill". Even in a Roger light episode, we still get this gem

3. Joan is back and being reminded that her position was, erm, conditional to say the least. Gotta feel sorry for her; and also we don't know about her divorce yet.

4. A lot more door metaphors going on, they love 'em in mad men don't they

5. Don is going through yet another affair he knows can't last. You never get the impression he'd run away with this one, Rachel style. And then of course Megan brings it all back home. Don just tumbles and tumbles...[/SPOILER]
  • Dougs 21 Apr 2013 23:19:17 69,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, great stuff. Especially Campbell. Not feeling the Peggy storyline at the moment though.

What night does it air in the US? Sunday? I usually avoid the thread until well after that given my tardiness in watching anything.
  • imamazed 22 Apr 2013 09:44:36 5,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeh it's sunday I believe; although often I don't get round to watching until about the UK air date anyway. Either way, I'm gonna keep everything in spoilers just in case!
  • TheSaint 23 Apr 2013 13:47:05 14,833 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One for the people who have seen this weeks episode:

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tumblr_mlnsbhm30Y1rcaml6o1_500.png
  • imamazed 8 May 2013 15:54:35 5,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Regarding Episode 6 (airing tonight in the UK):

[SPOILER]

-Well that was a great episode. The sense of sheer excitement after Ted and Don had agreed to merge in that Detroit bar was comparable to the season 3 finale. Exhilirating stuff.

-What will the new office look like? Where will it be?

-What a bad week for Pete. He's lost his father-in-law's business only down to his own personal mistakes. Will he be saved in the growing buzz over Chevrolet and the new agency? Will they all eventually know the truth? For a second, I thought he was going to be genuinely apologetic and sincere with Trudy towards the end, but he was typical Pete.

-Has Roger reminded everyone why he's there? It certainly adds to Pete's misery.

-Kenny Cosgrove continues to be a class act (even if his advice turned out to be unhelpful)

-Don and Megan's plight is still on course, we've seen highs like this with betty before.

-Poor Joanie, she's hard a hard time recently

-Most importantly, this:

I really hope this was a mistake and was kept in. It's just perfect.

-There's probably loads more I want to say, but that's all for now

[/SPOILER]
  • Trane 9 May 2013 09:06:44 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That might have just been my favourite episode since season 4, superb.
  • mikew1985 9 May 2013 09:41:25 13,043 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yea, it was excellent.
  • Max_Powers 9 May 2013 12:54:48 1,103 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great last episode I have to agree
  • sirtacos 12 May 2013 02:14:10 7,378 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Season 6 episode 1: Holy shit, Betty finally gets a personality!
  • Trane 14 May 2013 09:21:08 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Episode 7:

Strange Don episode again. I do find his flings really boring - what was the whole 'keeping her in the hotel room' thing all about? I'm sure there's something subliminal that I'm missing out on. Also him just completely switching off whilst Megan talks to him, he just regards her. The he sits on the bed facing away from her whilst she mourns Bobby Kennedy's shooting. Dunno how much longer they're going to last. Last episode seemed to be the best of him, and this the worst, coming in late, swanning off from work for sex whenever he pleases, drinking too much and dragging Ted into it with him.

Also Bob Benson and Joan - budding romance ahead it seems?

Best scene of the day? Roger firing Burt Peterson again :D priceless.
  • imamazed 14 May 2013 09:28:59 5,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Trane (episode 7 spoilers)

[SPOILER]I think the whole submissive hotel room thing was linked to him overhearing her fall out with her doctor husband in the lift. Sort of paying her back in a sadistic way that suits him; as he seems to like the doctor fella, even if he is sleeping with his missus. Of course it completely backfired in the end. I have to agree though; it was the least interesting arc this week.

My favourite bits:

- Burt getting fired, of course
    - Pete. Well just everything, he gets worse every episode. "Oh, she can go to hell; and Ted can drive her there in his airplane!"
    - Joan saving Bob
    - Ken is clearly well revered, that's good to see.
    - For me, Peggy has taken a step back now; even if the new agency is now bigger.
    - Don getting Ted drunk, then Ted scaring Don in the airplane was reminscent of Roger throwing up in season 1 (I think it was season 1) I thought!

[/SPOILER]
  • spindizzy 15 May 2013 14:56:20 6,611 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi all,

Looking for a tv show to watch with my girlfriend, and this seems a possibility. Do we need to start from season 1 though, or is it okay to skip a season or two? Just asking because often a show really gets into its stride a bit later on...

Cheers!
  • TheSaint 15 May 2013 14:58:45 14,833 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would start from the beginning with this one. The first season is only six episodes if I remember correctly but contains quite a few things that are important later.
  • spindizzy 15 May 2013 15:00:54 6,611 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, thanks a lot!
  • Trane 15 May 2013 15:17:37 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't think of a single quality drama series where it's ok to 'just skip the first season'.

What an odd notion =/
  • Dougs 17 May 2013 07:12:21 69,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just caught up to episode 7, cracking stuff. 6 was brilliant. The whole submissive thing was just Don trying to exert some power and control, only for the tables to be turned at the end, exposing his fragility and insecurity.

Pete was brilliant. Slow descent into madness, paranoia etc. Great to watch given how much he's hated!
  • imamazed 17 May 2013 09:31:24 5,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TheSaint Nope, first season is 13 episodes like all the other seasons.

But yeh, I'd say especially with Mad Men, you can't really be skippin' seasons. The way characters slowly (achingly slowly at times) grow can only be appreciated by going through it all.
  • TheSaint 17 May 2013 09:45:19 14,833 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So it is, not sure why I thought it was shorter.
  • Dougs 17 May 2013 09:46:39 69,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Breaking Bad is only 7....
  • Psychotext 20 May 2013 20:11:17 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What the fuck at that episode. lol
  • imamazed 21 May 2013 09:23:36 5,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    What the fuck at that episode. lol
    This.
  • Deleted user 21 May 2013 17:47:29
    Sweet tap-dancing Cosgrove!
  • mrcrumley 21 May 2013 19:07:49 382 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wild episode!
  • Deleted user 27 May 2013 22:11:06
    What the hell's the story with this Bob Benson character? Is he a genuine nice guy/guardian angel or some kind of mental sycophant/serial killer?

I know he's not done anything to suggest he's a bad apple yet but in a show chock full of absolute pricks (save Ken Cosgrove) he seems out of place.
  • Blotto 1 Jun 2013 17:49:47 2,777 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it'll eventually become clear that his main focus is career progression and we'll see him start to manipulate people (probably Joan) to get ahead.

He seems to be doing nice things to make an impression rather than just doing nice things.

Basically I think he'll become a Pete Campbell who can control his urge to be a massive twat. Obsessed with becoming important and needed.

Edited by Blotto at 17:50:55 01-06-2013
  • Dougs 28 Jun 2013 10:57:47 69,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Awesome end to the season. Next one is the last one, will be interesting to see where they go from here. Triumphant return or continued demise? Fantastic writing though, slowly he starts to let people in to his past
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Aug 2013 09:44:33 39,569 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just started watching it. Slow start but oddly compelling.

That is all.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Page

of 15 First / Last