Japanese evaluate Western hits. (Bioshock, Ass Creed, COD4) Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• SirScratchalot 9 Mar 2008 08:53:55 7,872 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    I(And Ultima Underworld, whoever referred to it earlier. And yes, of course Japanese people played that.)
    \o/
    Deus Ex, I've never played.
    /o\
    It's not too late!
    Play it and view games differently...
  • jiveguy 9 Mar 2008 09:10:39 842 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why, as mostly western europeans, does anyone care what Japan thinks of "our" games? :)

I never got the whole japan-o-love that western gamers have, especially over the last several years or so when, other than being the home of two of the three platform owners, everything good about gaming is coming from the west. Japan might have had it day in the 80s and 90s with the popularity of nintendo, sega, sony and the arcades, but I don't get why it's still seen as being just as important now.

Live: BocoGuy | Steam: jiveguy | Origin: Boco

• Deleted user 9 March 2008 09:19:57
    Well, obviously, not everyone is a Japanophile. I personally have been into Japanese culture and animation since I was a teen, and that's carried through into adulthood. Personally I find a lot of their entertainment quite deep, which we've only seem to have just caught up with. Plus I like the artstyle. But that's just me, you know? I just find they push ahead of us in a few key areas. Take Lost Odyssey - some of that games plotting is really quite upsetting, very emotionally keyed. Or Project Zero, which manages to scare without causing jumps. I've not played many western games of late that actually hook into that without bludgeoning you for a reaction, like The Darkness' girlfriend scene.

Anyone else?
  • jiveguy 9 Mar 2008 10:26:46 842 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @squarejawhero:

That stuff is fine. I'm not really commenting on why people like certain aspects of a foreign culture, I'm more interested in why gamers are concerned about how many sales a game gets in Japan (actually, why they are concerned about sales of anything really, are tv fans in the UK curious about how many people in France were watching Lost the other night? :)). It seems to be a unique obsession. I don't know of any other entertainment medium that has fans interested in how well a piece sold or was received in other countries. It's strange and I don't understand it. Unless of course you are all sales people for Asian territories and knowing this stuff keeps your kids fed :)

Live: BocoGuy | Steam: jiveguy | Origin: Boco

• Deleted user 9 March 2008 10:28:54
    Nah, it's the same thing as when I read American reviews of British films just to see how they react to them.
  • Feanor 9 Mar 2008 13:33:04 14,166 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jiveguy wrote:I never got the whole japan-o-love that western gamers have, especially over the last several years or so when, other than being the home of two of the three platform owners, everything good about gaming is coming from the west.

Everything? The Wii, the DS, the PSP and the PS3 have all come from Japan in the last several years, along with hundreds of excellent games for those systems as well as the PS2 and 360. About one third of the top 100 rated games from the last 12 months at gamerankings are Japanese, including the #1 game.

To be frank, you're talking complete bullshit. And that's even not taking into account that this thread isn't about the strength of the Japanese games industry, it's about what Japanese gamers think of big Western titles. If UncleLou wanted to do a similar thread looking at how German gamers rate games that are relatively more popular in the UK and the US, then I'd be interested, too.
  • JinTypeNoir 9 Mar 2008 16:26:42 4,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And now for God of War!

-----

"A Good Work (Four Stars)

It's like it has the feel of a game that mixes Western games' good points and our country's good points.

Graphics are super high quality and the tale is good.

Well, that's because it uses Greek myths, so it's to my taste.

The action feel is exhilarating; bosses that use button action like in a rhythm game make me burn with passion.

Except, there are only a few bosses and that's a shame.

Plus, for example, in a small and faltering way of continuing, you have to navigate narrow footholds, or, there are trap zones where one hit meets death, or, there are plenty of places that don't have anything to do with action, these areas are sluggish and dull.

When it comes to action and graphics, it's worth five stars, but because the above was truly troublesome and annoying, I took a point off.

I recommend this for people who like games like Musou [again, Dynasty/Samurai Warriors] or Devil May Cry."

------

So let's go to a less enthusiastic review:

-----

"This Was Not Interesting (Three Stars)

I can see that the image quality of this game is pretty.

However, since all you do is follow a predetermined route, the degree of player freedom is low.

There are many scenes where you have to perform acts and move your controller so that it clatters and jolts noisily and this became stressful.

Honestly, this wasn't interesting."

----

And now, let's flip back, to a muuuuuch more enthusiastic review:

----

"Yup, This is the Ultimate [Game]! (Five Stars)

Graphics, battle, load time, no matter what you choose, I don't think it will leave you unsatisfied!

In my case, a friend graciously let me play and addict myself to it. At first, I saw the package and thought, "What the hell is this?", but then once I slipped it in, I couldn't get my dick back out again!! If you push the buttons properly, you'll grab the enemy: slice-em-up-cut-em-up, throoow them, slice-em-up-cut-em-up, throoow them... "The weapon's reach and attack power is so not to be taken lightly--this main character is too awesome, isn't he?" I actually broke in with this comment and made my friend totally laugh at me. f^_^; Oh! Except the enemies, not everyone, no not everyone is weak, as I continued, as could be predicted, I died, yup >_< and later on stuff like these devices starts showing up more and more...but since you can try again right away, I could go on in crisp and crunchy steps, you know?(^-^)"

------

And last, but not least, because a lot of reviews mentioned the violence issue from different angles, I'll do two that do:

----

"Love it or Hate it Based on the Atmosphere (Which Includes the Characters)" (Three Stars)

This is a game that uses Greek myths at its base. These are my impressions from conquering about the 80% mark of the game.

First, I think the most important thing is whether you can stand the protagonist, who is a beardy, baldy old guy.

The world journeyed upon is one that comes close to the PS2's graphic limit for prettiness, and there mostly aren't any load times. At over 20 times the size of the player, bosses carry a certain power and impact. If you look at in terms of a pure game, I think it's got quite a quality. But while saying all this, the old fart of a protagonist, and the setting of various Greek gods that was everywhere in the basic Famicom era, I was not able to empathize with it. This was the number one point I was unsatisfied with. Besides what I wrote above, I will write the good and bad points below.

Good points

You can set the difficulty level, and it's easy, even for a beginner to play. Also, you can continue, from mostly the same place, infinitely.

Huge bosses will relentlessly deliver a killing blow, just for you.

Bad points

In the puzzles, there are many times one can die in one hit.

There are only two types of weapons.

Even while being thrust back in the air from an attack, enemies will counter-attack at you.

There's a lot of brutality and cruelty in scenes like running, bewildered people dying quite casually, or using an enemy character to dedicate as a sacrifice.

Above I wrote a lot, but if you don't mind playing with a baldy old guy then I think it's a game that one can quite enjoy."

----

----
    "A Foreign-Produced God Game!" [Note: The Japanese term for "god game," means of the utmost greatest quality, a masterpiece, not term for a game where you play like a god, like Populus. Examples of game that commonly get referred to as god games in Japan are Dragon Quest III, Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter II or Super Mario World.] (Five Stars)

"I saw the Amazon reviews at 5 stars, saw the price at 3,000 yen and snatched it up." [Note: He's referring to the Greatest Hits-esque budget release.]

"...

'What's this? It's too amazing!'

The first thing I'd like you to notice is that it has such pretty graphics that you wouldn't think it could come from a PS2.

The next is that the feel of the action quite resembles Devil May Cry. However, this isn't a protagonist like the good-looking hottie of Devil May Cry...

A foul, bald, old guy is the main character. To people who say, "I like cool main characters," I cannot recommend this.

Certainly, I think games where cool characters bring it to the bad guys are fun. That said, I'm tired of looking at those games.

The main character of this game is in a different meaning, cool! While fighting, honestly it's hard to understand which one is the bad guy. And in an area like that, I found I could really get into it.

Except, since this is what you'd call a foreign game, it contains harsh and cruel portrayals of things, and gross scenes. I really don't want people who aren't 18 to play this, definitely, this is a game that would be supremely bad for education.

Finally, for people who don't really play action games, this one might be a little hard. Because there were no advertisements like commercials and such, it looks like not many people know about it, but I can definitely say it has value far above 3000 yen.

I can't say there aren't any bad points, but to compensate for that, in every area of this game, a balance is preserved. Can we not say that God of War is an appropriate title to recognize as a god game...?"

----

The feel I got was that most people liked it, but what they liked was all over the place and the people who didn't like it, were pretty vocal about it.

Next up, as its known in Japan, Condemned: Psycho Horror!
  • Deleted user 9 March 2008 17:49:41
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    There's a British film industry?

/didn't get the memo
    I didn't say that I did it often. :)
  • Hughes. 9 Mar 2008 18:05:23 2,812 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    And now for God of War!

----

And now, let's flip back, to a muuuuuch more enthusiastic review:

----

"Yup, This is the Ultimate [Game]! (Five Stars)

"What the hell is this?", but then once I slipped it in, I couldn't get my dick back out again!!

roflcakes
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Mar 2008 02:04:45 8,044 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the way the Japanese review a game differently to that of the Europeans.

In the west we seem to be overly concerned with how technically good a game is whereas the Japanese are more concerned with the feel of the game. They review games in the manner in which we review films. They have got past the graphics and are more concerned with the characters and the story. (I wish we would learn to do this also).

For this reason could you please add Gears of War to your list Jin?

Thank you. (Sorry we have given you quite a work load there).

I think Gears may prove to be the game which divides opinion the most. The West, especially the states, love it because it is technically brilliant. Despite how good the graphics are I hated the gorillas you played as and found the gunplay quite bland. I imagine that this will be a more prominent criticism in Japan than it was in the west.
  • Triggerhappytel 10 Mar 2008 03:05:47 2,695 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the GoW reviews Jin, I was interested to see how the Japanese would feel this measures up to Devil May Cry, for example. I love the way they seem obsessed that Kratos is an old man.

I have to also add that your English is so good I also assumed you were an English person who had moved to Japan.

Good stuff, great topic.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Mar 2008 03:23:41 8,044 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jiveguy wrote:
    I'm more interested in why gamers are concerned about how many sales a game gets in Japan.

I do not care how many games are sold where. I am however interested in cultural differences. I find it interesting how different people react to the same things. I happen to have played a lot of games and my opinions of them are different to that of the western mainstream. Having played all these games I am very clear what I like and what I look for. (Which is very different to what US reviewers look for).

I often read reviews of games after I have played them. This is a good way of finding out who's reviews to trust. Edge probably has the closest opinion to mine in the west but it is not exactly the same. I find Edge to be too emotionless and somewhat sterile.

I am very keen on Asian cultures. A large proportion of my dvd collection is from Asia. I am particularly fond of Korean films and think Park Chan Wook is currently the worlds best director. I have also watched a very large amount of Japanese films. Kurasawa's epics are amazing, Studio Ghlibi's cartoons are fabulous and I also have a twisted side that likes a bit of Takeshi Miike.

As well as this I have done a little research into Chinese history. I was surprised to learn that I knew more about Chinese history than a few of my friends here in China.

As I am in northern China at present I am also seeing a fair bit of Russian culture which seems very interesting. Especially how their attitudes have changed a lot in the last 10 years. (Moscow in particular).
  • clockworkzombie 10 Mar 2008 03:33:15 379 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I too join in to say what an excellent thread this is.
    Thank you.
  • JinTypeNoir 11 Mar 2008 13:38:16 4,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now, it's time for Condemned: Psycho Horror! Sorry for the gap. School day and all that.

-----

"A Bad Smell Seemingly Drifts Around This Game (Five Stars)

For the Xbox360, this is said to be the most scary horror game. People who aren't right in the head appear as your enemies and normally, you have to fight them amongst the dank and the dark.

If you took one screenshot, it would look like an FPS, except that guns only rarely appear, there's very few bullets and you can't reload, like it's going for pure sadism.

Primarily, you mainly use blunt weapons such as steel pipes you can pluck off the walls, hammers and pieces of lumber. For that reason, if an enemy comes out, you approach, swing around your steel pipe and with a feel of "gadunk" you continue to beat them until they can't move anymore.

Inside the gloomy rooms all you can do is shine a weak flashlight, not knowing where they come from -- audible coughs and breathing sounds, the sounds of feet scraping the floor above you -- and walk while you shiver with fear.

And your partners in this world mainly use blunt weapons as well, as you walk through the rooms they will suddenly come at you from blind spots and beat in your head.

Stages consist of searching "dark and scary places" to minute detail, parks at night, schools at night, subways at night, and so on, in a meticulous way. All of these places are dirty and clammy and mostly sounds don't come out of them, so you'll do things like scare yourself from the sound of the empty can you kicked.

There's many times where you say, "I think I just heard something move, is it my imagination?" but a great deal of the time, it isn't just that and you saw some enemy move through a small gap or opening.

There's a number of hard-to-understand points about saving, you can't skip movies, and on top of the protagonist being a clumsy idiot, there's a lot of things about the story I didn't understand, etc., there's some severe issues also, but if you have a chance to play it, definitely try it.

It's best if you tune the brightness and set the difficulty to the perfectly balanced normal in the options at the beginning."

----

It didn't look like this person played the game, from the date on the review, the date of its release in Japan and his comments, but I thought they were interesting comments nonetheless, despite abusing the Amazon review system.

----

"Why? ?_? (Five Stars)

FPS horror action adventure. FPS horror action adventure. Really, that means even in a Western-type game, I like these kinds of games and have fun with them. Looking at the reviews for people who have played the demo version and the North American version, people seem to hold it in high esteem. However, in a certain major magazine when I saw it got a low score, my eyes went round with surprise [the emoticon here, is I think, unproducable with Western English encoding] as I thought those professionals are probably the classical kind of Japanese gamer, huh? Japan has a bad habit of overpraising games that take a balance in everything. I would appreciate it if they could evaluate the fresh elements of something even if there are major faults. Well, no matter what kind of evaluation it gets, I'll definitely buy it!"

----

Back to the someone who definitely has played it:

-----

"Fear as Acted and Played by Sound (Three Stars)

Not just the graphics, the sound is skillfully used to enact fear. Eerie voices, footsteps, the sounds of objects, all are used to agitate one's sense of fear and of course, the feel of tension. There are many scenes where it seems like an unforeseen enemy might just pop out. I think this is a world view that American horror fans will have fun with.

A stun gun called the beam rifle is irregularly powerful. The stungun's frequency of use is controlled by the difficulty settings, and you can choose your difficulty setting, so I think people will be able to have fun without getting stuck.

Because there are a lot of complicated, narrow hallways, and the view can spin around bewilderingly, those who get sick with FPS or 3D games should take caution. In the options, you can lower the analog stick sensitivity, and I think this will make it harder to get sick. Also, if you lower it, it's easier to target.

When it comes to enemy attacks, I thought it was a little bit sad that it's mostly down to three patterns: hit you with a blunt weapon, shoot you with a gun or jump out at you. If there were things like throwing stuff at you, or more patterns, it would have been more interesting, but...However, the story is short and it ends up before you can tired of it, so in a certain way, it's got great balance.

In the greater reality, there were lot of impossible to understand story elements, but I just liked it by going along with the flow. This is one title I want to recommend to people who like horror or FPS."

-----

I include one more, because the end where he gives advice is a rather common trait of Japanese reviews, so I wanted to represent it (not sure if this is the case elsewhere in the world):

----
    Fun (Four Stars)

As I thought, this game brings up the biting realization that in the FPS world, Japan can't compete as of yet with what goes on overseas.

The material feel of the viscous stucco on the walls, the areas where light hits contrasting with shadow, they're performances one would expect from next-gen machines. Ah, the PS2 era really has passed, hasn't it?

What suited me was the thick effects. As you are walking, you can unknowingly kick cardbox boxes and trash cans. As you are hit, your vision shakes, and in the same way a flourescent light shakes or flickers...whatever, who cares you might say, but in this genre, it's important to put some effort into these areas.

It's a great feel to use offhand weapons that are nearby. An FPS that revolves around striking and blowing is pretty rare, I think. On top of that the unreasonable limits of fire arms is great!! Can't reload, only got the bullets it has when you found it, once they're gone, its useless! (Well, tentatively they can be used also for striking blows.)

It's a work that shows the power of the next-gen machines, even though it is a little short.

However, people who are weak to the Resident Evil series or especially the Silent Hill series (their atmospheres) had probably better stay away. The atmosphere here is close to Silent Hill.

*Finally, for those of you who aren't very good at it, some advice! In an FPS where behind you is always your blind spot an iron rule is, "Always put your back to the wall!" If an enemy is approaching or you think something is suspicious, first, let's get ready by putting our backs to the wall! Furthermore, the rule of "Always move to the corner of a room!" Please give it your best shot, you can do it!

What? "Even though it's dark, there's no navigational goggles?" you say? For those who use only a flashlight, you're an idiot! What, you expect navigational goggles to be lying in the middle of the street!? In the screen options, set it brighter. However, if you set it too bright, the fun will drop by half."

----

One more down, tons to go! I'm hanging in there, don't worry, I'll get to your request soon and I saw the request to add Gears of War to the list.

BTW, if one could rank the titles by consensus (average comments and scores) among the reviews I've read so far, then Japanese gamers seem to have had this order of best to worst:

1. Bioshock
    2. Condemned
    3. COD4
    4. Assassin's Creed
    5. God of War
    6. Silent Hill Origins
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Mar 2008 15:27:49 8,044 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers Jin.

Have you played any of those games yourself? Or are you tempted to give some a go after reading the reviews?
  • ElNino9 11 Mar 2008 15:34:46 13,427 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great thread. Interesting to see the differences in culture, even through gaming.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• JinTypeNoir 12 Mar 2008 00:28:40 4,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've played God of War. I've wanted to play Bioshock because I was a big fan of System Shock and System Shock 2 and it sounds interesting. The Condemned reviews make me want to play it, though I wasn't interested at all before, it sounds pretty sophisticated for horror. Assassin's Creed I was always interested in playing, but it's one of those, I'll get around to it one day things.

COD4 might have some interesting storyteller, but I'm totally not interested in that type of gameplay and I'd rather keep my happier memories of Silent Hill, so I'm not going to play another one until I see signs that it's returning to something inspired and good again.

Number of times I said interesting in this post: 5.

Number of games I expressed interest in: 3.

Number of sentences in this post: 5

Number of times I've written a long post: countless.

There are some things you can count, for all other things, there's a calculator.
  • JinTypeNoir 12 Mar 2008 00:35:57 4,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BTW, I can't find any reviews on Duke Nukem (3D or otherwise) there are assorted information articles on it, but they are just that: information about the history of the game, the developer and so on, mostly in terms of Duke Nukem Forever. So I'm going to have to skip that one.

So that means next up is Halo. Is there a certain one I should be looking for or just the original?
  • Feanor 12 Mar 2008 03:26:05 14,166 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They're all EXACTLY the same. ;)
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Mar 2008 03:59:04 8,044 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

So that means next up is Halo. Is there a certain one I should be looking for or just the original?

Either Halo or Halo 3. The second is the weakest. So avoid that. The first was far better than any other shooter at the time game play wise in my opinion. So that is a good one to look at. Although the 3rd is very similar but more refined. It has picked up a lot of bad remarks on this forum for being just more of the same.

It really comes down to whichever one you can find easiest.
  • Bloodloss 12 Mar 2008 04:12:52 4,499 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Halo 2 would be fine as well, considering it's actually just as good if not better than the original despite what EG's rose-tinted glasses suggest. Also, it could be interesting to see what Japanese reviewers think of Halo's online play.

• krokomkiller 12 Mar 2008 15:23:50 201 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Halo 1, thats what I meant.
  • Lukus 12 Mar 2008 15:45:05 19,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bloodloss wrote:
    Halo 2 would be fine as well, considering it's actually just as good if not better than the original despite what EG's rose-tinted glasses suggest. Also, it could be interesting to see what Japanese reviewers think of Halo's online play.

Wrong.

Paintings & Photographs

• Popzeus 12 Mar 2008 16:40:09 8,330 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great thread, JTN. It's a nice change from all the toilet humour we've been swamped with recently.

Speaking of toilet humour, I'd be interested to know what the Japanese view was of The Sims, if there's still room on your list.

/marks interesting
    /Degree of Fierce Obsession: 5

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Xerx3s 12 Mar 2008 17:35:20 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Bloodloss wrote:

Wrong.

Ow ffs, Halo 2 is a fantastic game, get over it.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2008 17:41:43
    disc wrote:
    Actually.

I'd like to see what some of the gamers over there think of Project Gotham Racing and Uncharted.

I lurve PGR's virtual Tokyo. Awesome stuff.
  • krokomkiller 17 Mar 2008 16:37:43 201 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is a good thread.

bump.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Mar 2008 14:58:13 8,044 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is everything going alright Jin?

I guess you are very busy at the moment?

Are there any other Japanese speakers that could lend Jin a hand with this thread?
  • Page

of 6 First / Last