Japanese evaluate Western hits. (Bioshock, Ass Creed, COD4) Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• MetalDog 8 Mar 2008 00:01:58 23,920 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Want to add Oblivion to that list?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Inquisitor Moderator 8 Mar 2008 00:03:34 14,559 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Want to add Oblivion to that list?

I believe oblivion did relatively well in Japan actually, I think it was one of the top selling PS3 titles briefly...I imagine I'm wrong though, I am about most things Japan wise :D
  • Deleted user 8 March 2008 00:07:51
    I don't suppose that there's a Japanese review of Shogun Total War around is there?
  • Hunam 8 Mar 2008 00:08:22 20,674 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    FluffyTucker wrote:So the Japs just like our shit games then?

Hey, I'm not terribly sensitive about this, but I still don't like it. Could you just use even JP if you don't want to type it out, please?

Probs me being nit picky, but he didn't mean it in a derogatory way, it's like saying the brits for us or the yanks for the american, it's just a slang term.
  • Gl3n Moderator 8 Mar 2008 00:20:37 5,955 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Awesome translations jin, really interesting read. There should be some sort of translated metacritic for japanese stuff.

• Gl3n Moderator 8 Mar 2008 00:20:38 5,955 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Awesome translations jin, really interesting read. There should be some sort of translated metacritic for japanese stuff.

• Inquisitor Moderator 8 Mar 2008 00:23:02 14,559 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's with all the double posting tonight?

I've done it aswell as a few others...EG does seem really slow at the moment though, that's probably got a lot to do with it.
  • Gl3n Moderator 8 Mar 2008 00:24:42 5,955 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Err, i didn't do it!
  • Feanor 8 Mar 2008 01:02:06 14,185 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm interested in what they think of FIFA compared to Winning Eleven.

Cool thread, btw.
  • JinTypeNoir 8 Mar 2008 02:07:57 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bu bu-bibu! Bioshock!

"Would You Kindly Tell Them I've Finished It (Three Stars)

Good points

1. The atmosphere inside the game

It's soaked in the sentimentality of a retro feel. It's like 1980s (?) American-esque.

2. Scary...

This is a matter of taste, but there are plenty of elements that are like an amusement park's ghost house meant to scare you. Even though you can't see an enemy, you can hear an eerie voice from somewhere. It makes me scared to replay the diary entries left here and there.

3. Water graphics

I'll honestly just praise them as pretty.

Would you kindly fetch me...

the bad points?

1. Quite simple

Because most areas display the same scenery, I got fed up. There's some level of variation, but because the setting is limited to the inside of buildings, it can be thought of as simple. The variety of enemies one the side of only a few. Therefore, in the later half, the scariness and the freshness evaporates and I got a little tired of it. It's the same feeling as getting a full stomach after eating.

2. The ending is meh

I've only won it once, so maybe it's a multi-ending game.

As a general comment, I recommend it to people who like horror.

I'm the type who puts it on normal and clears it while dying a lot. For people who aren't good at games, I recommend the easy setting."

And for the first time we have a non-Amazon review, this is from a mk2, a much more hardcore-oriented site than the reviews you see at a Amazon. I think you'll notice a difference:

"Originality = 4 points [out of 5]
    Graphics = 4
    Sound = 4
    Degree of Fierce Obsession = 2
    Balance = 3
    Volume = 2

I played the complete dubbed version. I competed in achievement competitions, and so in my own way I feel I've played it enough, and now I will review it. I've played a couple of FPSes before, my skill is anywhere from beginner to intermediate.

Nice:

Originality

Can we not say this is a completely new type of FPS? Story, world view, abilities, etc, etc = full marks on all counts. Of the above-mentioned, the only thing you need to remember and fully realize is the deep impression caused by the world view. Personally, I think this is a game whose arrow has been brought the bull's eye of atmosphere. The movie-like presentation left a good impression.

Graphics

As can be expected from a game whose selling point is it's graphics, the physical presence of things such as water, light and objects are done with the high quality of a next generation machine and was able to full satisfy me. Especially in the beginning, "Just as I thought it was a movie scene, I can move!?" I was extremely surprised. A point of satisfaction.

Sound

With the fundamental sound effects and BGM, I have no complaints. In the dark rooms where only sound was reliable to grasp the position of the enemy, these were a help. Rather, to what extent has a player grasped the enemy's "sound?" That could perhaps be the epitome of this game.

Bad/Requests

Degree of Fierce Obsession

I had an honest feeling that there weren't many elements to motivate a thorough drilling of the mechanics. Only one road to the story and once you've enjoyed the world view to a certain extent, I got right to the point where I felt I don't need any more. When you say the achievements are too easy, the difficulty is too low, then it might lower your motivation.

Balance

Once I came to the point where I could clearly see the powerful abilities and weapon combinations, there are things I didn't really use that came along as wel. This might be boring. And when compared to other FPSes, case by case, the selectables here seem narrow.

Volume

You might say because there's no online, the achievements are too easy and the level of player freedom is too low, there's not a lot of volume to the game.

Comments

I played this on a 24-inch LCD screen.

To the people who like it, this is a game that will hit the bull's eye and be quite addictive. Nevertheless, I cannot recommend this to people who say, "I like FPSes with a high degree of player freedom like Halo!," or "a high degree of reality like Call of Duty 4!"

Nevertheless, personally for me, the world view compensates for the weak points and finds room left over, thanks to this, I enjoyed it. Wait for it to go cheaper used, but it's a game I'd really appreciate if people would try."

Now that I've had more than enough of reading mk2 reviews (ew), back to Amazon:

"Now THIS is How You Localize! (Five Stars)

First, as an evaluation of the game, it's received several awards, so I won't evaluate the game that way.

What I'd like to evaluate it on is the level of localization.

If you ask me to what level have they localized the game, well, there's dubbing for the characters by voice actors, dubbing of the voice log, dubbing of the TVs and commericials (?), it gives off the impression there's a different voice actor for every small fry enemy and there are lots of speech variations. Each vending machine also has dubbing. (By the way, on things like the clown kinda vending machine, the laugh is unchanged from the English version, but the voice that comes out after speaks Japanese and there is no awkward feel to this.)

As well, the names of paintings and artistic objects, or things like posters where something is written, if the protagonists brings the cursor to them, there are Japanese translations.

There are a few subtitles, but since the voice is clear and easily heard, it's okay. By the way, the default setting is OFF.

The main character's voice actor's do a good job. Personally I don't hate them but the small fry's voice actors have a Postal 2 feel to them, so they could divide opinion. Listening to them in a certain way will bring laughter.

Finally, I don't really like FPSes, but this was very fun to play."

Whew. BTW, I searched and searched, but could not find ANY negative reviews of Bioshock. One review title caught my eye though,

"City in the Ocean: Rapucha"

:D
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Mar 2008 05:59:34 8,739 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Very interesting thread.

Did any of the Rare N64 games make it to Japan? It will be interesting to see what they thought of Banjo. To me Banjo feels very much like a Mario clone and that Nintendo closely oversaw Rares work.

I would really like to see a Goldeneye review but I believe it was never released in Japan?

If none of the N64 games made it or are too difficult to find reviews for then Viva Pinata will do.

Thanks a lot.
  • morriss 8 Mar 2008 07:38:20 71,286 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A whole big bag of awesome hopefully. As it was.
  • JinTypeNoir 8 Mar 2008 08:03:28 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I certainly didn't read as many comments about motion sickness as I did in the COD4 reviews and whoever asked about that earlier, it would seem to be pretty common. I know I totally couldn't handle N64 FPSes sometimes, though on the computer I've never gotten it before.

I haven't played Bioshock yet. After all, I don't own a 360 and I haven't made my friend who owns one (the Square whore) buy it for me yet. I *heart* System Shock and System Shock 2 though. (And Ultima Underworld, whoever referred to it earlier. And yes, of course Japanese people played that.) Deus Ex, I've never played.

As of right now, the list stands at:

4. Silent Hill Origins
    5. God of War
    6. Condemned
    7. Duke Nukem (if I can find it)
    8. Halo
    9. Eternal Darkness
    10. Battlefield 1942
    11. Grand Theft Auto
    12. Oblivion
    13. Shogun Total Ass, I mean Shogun Total War
    14. FIFA
    15. Banjo Kazooie
    16. Goldeneye

Mass Effect hasn't been released in Japan yet.

Man, I got my work cut out for me.

Hah! Earlier on in the day I was looking at Silent Hill Origins reviews and I found this gem of a title for one of the reviews:

"My Name is Inigo Montoya, You Killed My Silent Hill, Prepare to Die"

riz23 wrote:Is that from other Japanese players, or is he talking about his experiences globally? For me that's my the biggest problem with playing online CoD4, the 'childish and harsh words' that people say. Much of it, racist, homophobic and generally distasteful. Does that aspect of gaming culture pervade Japan too?

One can't be sure who he was talking about, he (or she) wasn't specific. As for me, generally I try to avoid any game with comprehensive chat or voice chat online features just in case and go more towards games like Monster Hunter or Mario Kart DS that limit it so I don't have to hear or see that stuff. But if I am for some reason playing a game like that, I try to only play with Japanese players, but that's mostly because I've never ever had a Japanese player quit or drop out when they're losing a game. *shrugs* I get enough "DUMB JAPS" and "FUCK THE JAPS" on Nico Nico when people from NeoGAF and the sort decide they want to abuse the comment system and ruin it for the rest of us, sorry I'm sure there's plenty of nice people, but I'd rather not take the chance.

There are of course plenty of rude Japanese people online, especially when they're playing Koreans or Chinese people, hoo boy...

Next up, Silent Hill Origins!
  • Deleted user 8 March 2008 08:09:18
    Degree of Fierce Obsession!

I like that.

^_^ \/

@Jin - oh yeah, the old Japanese/Chinese/Korean thing. I saw a JP girl return some clothes after trying then on in Uni Qlo saying "I don't want these, they're made in China". Not soon after I was talking to a female Chinese friend of mine and the conversation turned too Japan, so I reiterated the story... whoooo boy... mistake.
  • epic_wanderer 8 Mar 2008 12:11:23 46 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Degree of Fierce Obsession!

I like that.

Me too, why is it that far east languages often translate into these sorts of appealing phrases? I'm no linguist but it I don't ever remember hearing this sort of thing from romantic\germanic languages. Is it because we share a common root so the words map across more closely?
  • riz23 8 Mar 2008 12:48:54 1,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

There are of course plenty of rude Japanese people online, especially when they're playing Koreans or Chinese people, hoo boy...

Thanks JTN, I know racism pervades japanese society, reading Barefoot Gen at an early age taught me that and later the experiences of some black friends in Japan (Or the white for that matter). It's a shame that online chatter brings out the very worst in people all over the world. Anyway back to the thread subject!

GT: oldskooldeano

• Yossarian 8 Mar 2008 13:03:19 8,411 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Oh and also I've heard that Bioshock isn't as bad as other FPS in inducing motion sickness. I'm guessing it's because of the rather slow movement of the main character.
    Also as far as I remember it lacks any view bob.
  • mrharvest 8 Mar 2008 13:20:50 5,203 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    epic_wanderer wrote:
    Me too, why is it that far east languages often translate into these sorts of appealing phrases? I'm no linguist but it I don't ever remember hearing this sort of thing from romantic\germanic languages. Is it because we share a common root so the words map across more closely?
    I don't know if quite see it like this. German is rife with compounds and untranslatable expressions. Or consider Portuguese 'saudade', or even how you would go about translating Joyce to any other language? But the European translators rarely translate so literally and instead opt for established phrases of the destination language.

I think that particular phrase might just as well be translated as 'mania factor' or just compulsiveness. Could be wrong though. :-7
  • Deleted user 8 March 2008 13:25:36
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    13. Shogun Total Ass

Oh, you just made the list with that one!

/goes to find pen

(though a review of any Total War game would be good)
  • Deleted user 8 March 2008 13:26:55
    Yossarian wrote:
    Also as far as I remember it lacks any view bob.
    /thinks

That's why it feels a little wierd!
  • JinTypeNoir 8 Mar 2008 15:09:39 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    I think that particular phrase might just as well be translated as 'mania factor' or just compulsiveness. Could be wrong though. :-7

I think you are here, not to be rude. But the term I translated is something of a specialized meaning when it's used for gaming. Mania factor would be implying something rather different than is meant by that word and compulsiveness may be a good translation of it some other contexts, but not this one. The combination of netsu and chuu communicate to me and other Japanese people, in the former a ferocity, intensity related to extremes or heat and the second part of the word is used in so many contexts to mean completely absorbed in something, lost in the middle of it. Together to form make VOLTRON. Err, sorry. I mean, it's just communicating something I think is an unusual piece of vocabulary for people who speak English, therefore I think it should be translated in this case to get across it's not a term with a usual connotation in English. Much in the same way as something rock, as in yeah, ROCK!

In other cases when these show up (especially as attack names) it's because they aren't real words in Japanese either, they're made up by combining random kanji, like tiger + the aforementioned fierce + wave + the kanji for power = Fierce Tiger Wave Energy Force, boooooooo! 6234 HP, the boss is dead! Hooray!

I just think there are terms to them that are just typically Japanese and have a kind of style to them that shouldn't always be replaced with the nearest equivalent in English.

Thanks JTN, I know racism pervades japanese society

Whoa, whoa. I didn't mean to give off that meaning, which is one I don't agree with, I don't know what experience your black friends had, but I definitely think racist Japanese are a minority. I won't go any farther than that, because no one ever believes it, much the same way as you can quote a billion examples of how we are not xenophobic anymore and no one believes that either. :p

I'm just meant to say that some types of loser Japanese definitely lose their politeness with Koreans or Chinese in online games and that's where I see most Japanese rudeness come into play. There are definitely also quite a few who make Korean and Chinese friends in these games without a second thought as well. I don't want it to look like there's not a sizable population of those type of people as well, especially since Korean and Chinese MMOs are often mixed up with Japanese MMOs and it's a kind of a shared gaming culture between the three of us.

Conversely, it's my thought that from my encounters of people in English-speaking countries who throw around awful language, I don't really extract my experiences to be the general example for those people.
  • JinTypeNoir 8 Mar 2008 15:13:30 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    13. Shogun Total Ass

Oh, you just made the list with that one!

/goes to find pen

(though a review of any Total War game would be good)

I'm just kidding! :p I just always wanted to say Shogun Total Ass because it's such a delightful phrase, I've never actually played the game, so I don't know how I feel about it, other than that I've heard the soundtrack and I hate that part of it with a passion.
  • JinTypeNoir 8 Mar 2008 16:36:48 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The next installment in our series of thrilling, action-packed adventures in Japanese reviewing is: Silent Hill Origins, requested due to the Japanese-series-now-made-in-the-West recent phenomenon:

-----

"Shizuoka [Note: Shizuoka is a prefecture in Japan, but it actually literally translates out to Silent Hill] (Three Stars)

It has a unique visual sense and atmosphere, and then the music is excellent.

Except, when combined with the PSP's bad control factor and the the fact that the series had questionable gameplay from the start, this has the least good of it in the series.

And the scenario too, since it the managing of it has changed from a group inside the country to one outside Japan, superficial elements of the game's identity have disappeared, but also it's become logical and thus its depth has thinned. However, this is something that has its good points and bad points.

Having said that, I think this is quite up there in upper ranks of PSP software. Among the series, I can't say it approaches 1 and 2, but to a certain extent, can we really not say this is at a level everyone can accept?

Except, in a good way, and in a bad way too, this does not betray expectations. I was able to enjoy it to the extent of the money I paid for it.

From here on there will probably be big changes for Silent Hill based on how it compromises for its action parts.

How about revising the way we look at--once and for all, from the root level--the mechanics? I have a feeling that doing something like that will allow the developers to reach a higher place of quality, but..."

------

Before the next one, a translator's note. Ura and omote, mean respectively, behind, underneath, under the surface, inner and in front, above, surface, outer. They can be translated any number of ways when they're separate, but when they are combined together in oppositional terms (i.e. the ura and the omote) a number of translators and academic types have said they carry specific cultural connotations that are difficult translate. I don't know whether I agree with this, but I can agree that when ura and omote appear next to each other, there is no easy way for me to translate what the additional "something" that means in the back of my head and I always feel as if something is lost. In Japan, the "normal" Silent Hill is referred to as the omote Silent Hill and the "more hellish" Silent Hill as the ura Silent Hill. Therefore, I won't translate them, but hopefully now you have some idea.

------

"Different... (Two Stars)

The atmosphere is Silent Hill

But it's different.

For this title, because the development team is different (which reminds me, it's an overseas one), for a certain extent, I prepared myself for what that would mean...

If you will allow me to say this as a fan, I think the ura world is a forbidden place where people shouldn't go, it's not a place that should have a method of reaching it. After all, it shouldn't be like the pipes in Mario."

----
    Next one:

-----

"This One's Received Too Much Influence from the Movie (One Star)

As a new installment, I really looked forward to this. Trying it out...lots of bugs...there's something strange and different because it was developed abroad. I mean, bare hands? Throwing TVs?

And then, it mimics the movie's direction, but I really wanted to observe the original creator's direction. The outside scenery is eroded just like in the movie...playing it like that, I got really fed up. I wouldn't really like to play it more than one time. What a shame, really."

----

Let it be known that a lot of reviews didn't even mention or perhaps they didn't know that it was made by a foreign team (well, to us :p). I picked out the ones that did because that was the area the poster mentioned wanting to hear about and because it seems that even though quite a few people enjoyed it and gave it four or five stars as well, mixed in with their opinions, feelings of disappoinment with areas of the game were very present throughout. That said, there were also quite a few reviews of people who were playing a Silent Hill for a first time and thought it was a movie-based game.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2008 17:32:55
    Careful on "their/they're" my friend. ;) Particularly when explaining language!
  • Cappy 8 Mar 2008 18:37:12 12,119 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Jin.

Interesting to see that the point of view on Silent Hill Origins is quite uniform worldwide. There are hints of the exact same disappointments in the comments, rather than outrage at foreign developers despoiling their game.

If the reverse situation ever happened and Japanese developers took on a well loved Western franchise with a staunch fanbase such as Fallout, and made a somewhat disappointing game, I doubt the responses would be so fair or measured on our side.
  • JinTypeNoir 8 Mar 2008 19:45:58 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

Why whatever are you talking about? :p No, I'm just kidding, I fixed it, thank you! My English is really frustrating me these last few posts, I think doing all this translation is hurting my brain. I might take a break to "recharge my juices" so to speak.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2008 19:50:54
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:

Why whatever are you talking about? :p No, I'm just kidding, I fixed it, thank you! My English is really frustrating me these last few posts, I think doing all this translation is hurting my brain. I might take a break to "recharge my juices" so to speak.

I didn't realise English was your second language, to be fair it was a bit nitpicky of me. ;) I'd say you're better than most of us English speakers... aren't you Japanese? I always assumed so.
  • JinTypeNoir 8 Mar 2008 20:00:21 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, I'm Japanese, that would be why English is my second language. *not quite sure he understands*
  • PazJohnMitch 9 Mar 2008 00:25:17 8,739 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Yes, I'm Japanese, that would be why English is my second language. *not quite sure he understands*

I always thought you were an English person living in Japan as your English is very, very good. (Probably better than mine to be honest).

Thank you for the translations they are very informative.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2008 00:30:09
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

I always thought you were an English person living in Japan as your English is very, very good. (Probably better than mine to be honest).

Thank you for the translations they are very informative.

^this ;)
  • Page

of 6 First / Last