The "I hate Microsoft Word" rant thread Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • docrob 7 Mar 2013 09:45:02 289 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have 2007 at home. Every time I start a document, it defaults to a line spacing of 1.15 with a 6-point gap after each line of text. WHY? It's a nonsensical choice. There might be a few people out there who wish to use such an odd combination, but there are millions more who would like the DEFAULT option on the world's most widely used WP program to be slightly less bizarre.
  • Salaman 7 Mar 2013 09:46:38 18,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yaaay!
  • Darth_Flibble 7 Mar 2013 09:48:06 1,671 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hate MS Word, especially when twats use it a graphic design tool. We get quite a few word docs as "full artwork" but the people who send them are so arrogant in their belief they have created a work of art.

Please. just. stop. (thankfully I won't have to deal with this by next year as we are getting outsourced)
  • kalel 7 Mar 2013 10:18:58 87,001 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I notice Pages can now output word files. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? My clients will bitch and moan if I don't supply word files, but Pages is the far better programme and I'd like to switch to it.

And similarly I have the exact same dilemma in switching from powerpoint to Keynote.
  • DaM 7 Mar 2013 10:50:12 12,991 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    I hate MS Word, especially when twats use it a graphic design tool. We get quite a few word docs as "full artwork" but the people who send them are so arrogant in their belief they have created a work of art.

Please. just. stop. (thankfully I won't have to deal with this by next year as we are getting outsourced)
    We get this too. The same people seem to think that manually changing .doc to .eps,.pdf or .ai will solve any issues too....
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 10:52:21 59,492 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I notice Pages can now output word files. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? My clients will bitch and moan if I don't supply word files, but Pages is the far better programme and I'd like to switch to it.

And similarly I have the exact same dilemma in switching from powerpoint to Keynote.
    If you arent doing anything fancy its fine. For normal documents with the odd table, you cant go wrong. Its only the high level word twattery it complains about and even then both programs are quite good at subbing in their own features for missing ones.

Same with open office, really.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 7 Mar 2013 11:01:38 87,001 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What about things like transitions in Keynote. Would they translate to powerpoint?

More keen to change to keynote than pages to be honest. Powerpoint is a fucking archaic bit of software. I really can't fathom why MS don't do a better job updating it. It's used a huge amount in the business world, and yet it's so far behind the alternatives.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 11:43:59
    DaM wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:

We get this too. The same people seem to think that manually changing .doc to .eps,.pdf or .ai will solve any issues too....
    Same here. I actually had a conversation with a "graphic designer" who designed exclusively in word and publisher, I said "Ok well whatever, can you send it to me cmyk with bleed please". She said "how do I do that?". She actually charged people for her designs.

Also. Hate when I request an image or a logo from a so called professional company and it comes embedded in a word file. AAAARGH
  • DaM 7 Mar 2013 11:51:53 12,991 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The best print ready logo we ever got was a old mobile picture of the sign above a taxi company. "Just crop it a bit" :)

Schools are bad too - tiff files FFS!
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 11:54:51 59,492 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    What about things like transitions in Keynote. Would they translate to powerpoint?
    Depends what you are using, I suppose. Ive never shot letters onto the slide like a bullet in keynote but dissolves and things work fine.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 7 Mar 2013 11:56:38 87,001 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I don't do really silly shit. Cool. I reckon I might go for it. Thanks.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 11:59:34
    DaM wrote:
    The best print ready logo we ever got was a old mobile picture of the sign above a taxi company. "Just crop it a bit" :)

Schools are bad too - tiff files FFS!
    Ha ha that is a very familiar tale!
  • Darth_Flibble 7 Mar 2013 19:37:18 1,671 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sadly all this sounds very familiar, especially about "designers" who have no idea what CMYK, bleed or even what web banner is. A special layer of extra fuck tardery is advertising sales reps who love putting pictures into word documents, despite telling them it does not make them hi-res from saving off the internet!
  • VideoGameAddict25 19 Jul 2013 15:20:19 297 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I know this thread is old but after having spent about 2 hours typing up a maths assignment I feel like having a rant. I fucking hate this piece of shit software and here are some reasons why:

1. Moving a picture being harder than it really should be. You'd think you could move it anywhere by clicking on it and dragging it to where you want but no it's not that simple at all. All you can do is either move it to the top, middle or bottom of the page. If you want to put it in a specific place then you have to either press backspace or enter several times to get it where you want it. However, by doing that, Word will have shifted all your subsequent text about 500 pages!

2. Auto-numbering. For fuck sake Word, I wanted to put a new line! I wasn't finished with my current point.

3. The line spacing in versions 2007 onwards. I have always had no spacing in Word since 95 but some bright spark at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to put the default setting to 1.15. I set it to 1.0 and that's still not enough. What I have to do is highlight everything, go into the line spacing options and change the number in the "After" box to 0. WHY THE FUCK IS IT ON 10PT?!

4. Word fucking about with my font for no reason at all. There you are just minding your own business typing away and all of a sudden it changes to bold, Times New Roman and size 10!

5. "Fragment (consider revising)." How about fuck off!

6. Word automatically capitalising the first letter of a sentence where I don't want it.

7. The stupid layout. What was wrong with File, Edit, Insert, Tools, etc...?

8. Crappy spelling & grammar check feature. Recently I typed the phrase "where A is the area of the disc." and stupid Word wanted to put a fucking question mark after the word 'disc'!

9. THIS:

10. Auto-correct. More like auto fuck up. I was typing the letter C in brackets like this: (C). What did Word do? It thought it was clever by changing it to the bloody copyright symbol!

Edited by VideoGameAddict25 at 15:24:44 19-07-2013
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 15:31:45
    Word Options/Proofing/uncheck everything. Fixes the majority of your issues.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next