The "I hate Microsoft Word" rant thread Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Nexus_6 7 Mar 2008 09:51:42 3,876 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reccommend Wordsworth Pro for the amiga - fucking great bt of software.

'Look at the letters mummy!'
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2008 09:54:06 59,529 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    How hard can it be to make a word processor? And when did MS forget that what people want is a word processor, not a sodding quasi-page layout app.

Tossers.

Try Office 08. A monolithic XML beast. .docx my arse.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• corimi 7 Mar 2008 09:56:36 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gah. Developing web based content managment systems is made much more difficult by users copying and pasting from Word and friends. You need to strip every tag and reformat because of all the made up crap in there.

For example, if you type 'London' Word helpfully wraps it in [location][city] tags. Why Word, why? If they at least steered away from using the same formatting as the internet it would help.

Programs like Outlook when running Word as the mail editor don't even seem to handle the crapofonic formatting properly.

V's, MS.
  • marilena 7 Mar 2008 10:03:36 8,201 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People complaining about Microsoft Word and then recommending Open Office need their heads checked. Open Office is so crap that it makes the price of Microsoft Office look justified, even though it's actually stupidly high.

Like MD, I have no problems with Word as long as it's a document I made. If it's made by someone who checked all sorts of checkboxes to force the use of his own ill-thought format, then it gets messy.

Overall, I find that Word works better if, instead of fighting it, you go along and use it like it wants to be used.
  • otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 10:06:17 49,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Open Office if you need to create .docs; but if you need to, you know, process words, then ffs use something dedicated and user-friendly like WriteRoom.

Even WordPad is infinitely superior to Word as a word processor.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 10:07:11 49,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    Overall, I find that Word works better if, instead of fighting it, you go along and use it like it wants to be used.
    That's craziness though!! It's supposed to be a tool. Since when do we serve the tool, rather than use the tool to serve us?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 10:09:22 11,298 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    marilena wrote: Overall, I find that Word works better if, instead of fighting it, you go along and use it like it wants to be used.
    otto wrote: That's craziness though!! It's supposed to be a tool. Since when do we serve the tool, rather than use the tool to serve us?
    +MF1!!1!

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Chopsen 7 Mar 2008 10:09:29 15,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah otto! Just the other day I tried using a saw on a plank of wood by holding it in my teeth and it wouldn't work! Stupid saw!
  • Chopsen 7 Mar 2008 10:10:53 15,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or put it another way, it works very well if you take the time to learn how it works. I've written loads of documents in words and never had a problem with it.

Some of the abominations of formating I've seen in other people's documents however....
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2008 10:13:08 59,529 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The basic problem with word is that it is ubiquitous enough for everyone to use, but everyone uses it in a slightly different way.

Custom formatting, different versions and fucked up templates are a nightmare.

As I said the other day, I have a PC and a Mac at work with every incarnation of word and other word processors its feasable to have as we have a load of freelancers who use everything from works to word perfect.

Its a fucking nightmare.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 10:19:42 11,298 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chopsen wrote: Yeah otto! Just the other day I tried using a saw on a plank of wood by holding it in my teeth and it wouldn't work! Stupid saw!
    Pft, n00b. Woulda worked for Roronoa Zoro.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 10:24:10 49,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, it can be made to work. But why should I spend time stripping my document of formatting that Word put there not because I asked it to but because it thinks it knows what I want better than I do myself. Why!?!?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 10:33:14 49,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It goes way, way beyond those stupid assistants.

For example, which moron in Redmond decided that bulleted lists should default to a double indent all of a sudden?? Now every time I create a bulleted list I have to spend ten minutes sorting out the indents, spacing etc all manually.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Charroux 7 Mar 2008 14:05:23 792 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cambridge wrote:
    is it fashionable to hate microsoft again?

Did it ever go out of fashion?

Word *is* a big pile of shite, though. I absolutely hate having to use the bastard - thankfully it's only once in a blue moon, though.
  • El_MUERkO 7 Mar 2008 14:10:44 16,985 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    Type up in Notepad. C+P to Word when done.

i do this, it'd the only sane way to use word
  • oceanmotion 7 Mar 2008 14:17:00 15,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Fucking bulleted lists, forgot about those

Oh god, they drive me up the wall.
  • otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 14:53:24 49,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not so much writing my own stuff in Word that rankles, more the job of transferring contributions from other people into my documents (I have to do that a lot).

Doesn't matter how many times you tell people to submit stuff without using styles, they never do, and bang goes all your formatting - especially if they start using numbered lists! OMG disaster. I spend longer formatting documents than I do writing them.

In fact, often I do paste contributions into notepad, save as plain text, and then import, just to save time by starting from scratch - but that often makes it unreadable because of course Word in its wisdom puts extra line breaks at the ends of paragraphs, meaning the original authors delete their carriage returns, meaning the plain unformatted text is just a goddamn mess.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• MightyMetalMonkey 7 Mar 2008 15:39:42 600 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you use word, and think it's been bad up until now...

Wait until you have to use Word 2007...

Even the things you thought you knew about Word no longer apply...

Even if you've used word or any office application for a decade, Office 2007 will put you back to Noob status until you get used to it...

Eventually you'll find everything you once knew... but it's a complete fsk up of the formatting...

• OMGGGGG318 18 Dec 2009 03:21:14 1 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HOLY SHITTTTT I know I'm incredibly late in this thread but I'm trying to write my term paper and FUCKING MICROSOFT WORD IS PREVENTING ME FROM DOING SO. I joined this forum just to write this post.

All I want to fucking do is indent my works cited. NOT THE WHOLE FUCKING PAPER. Just one god damned line! but no. Either I indent the whole god damned paper or nothing. I can't even press the mother fucking spacebar! I HATE ALL THIS AUTO BULLSHIT. GOD DAMN I HATE MICROSOFT WORD.
  • danathjo 18 Dec 2009 03:26:38 7,348 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    embrace the open arms and my welcoming man bosoms
    /HUGS

yes..that's my phone
  • MiniAmin 18 Dec 2009 03:35:26 3,393 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OMGGGGG318 wrote:
    HOLY SHITTTTT I know I'm incredibly late in this thread but I'm trying to write my term paper and FUCKING MICROSOFT WORD IS PREVENTING ME FROM DOING SO. I joined this forum just to write this post.

All I want to fucking do is indent my works cited. NOT THE WHOLE FUCKING PAPER. Just one god damned line! but no. Either I indent the whole god damned paper or nothing. I can't even press the mother fucking spacebar! I HATE ALL THIS AUTO BULLSHIT. GOD DAMN I HATE MICROSOFT WORD.

http://www.easybib.com/

Then copy and paste into word.
  • MiniAmin 18 Dec 2009 20:27:44 3,393 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Angry American who signed up only to bump a 2 year old thread has left.

So i'm bumping this as the said link may be useful to anyone else who endures citation hell on M$ (heehee i'm smart) Word.
  • otto Moderator 18 Dec 2009 20:57:07 49,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love the way Word tries to second guess your formatting needs and throws random styles into documents to make them look really shit.

I can cope with that when I'm just writing something myself. Doesn't take too long to fix.

But when I'm having to reformat 77 documents in one morning, all written by idiots who are quite happy to let Microsoft shit all over their work, IT MAKES ME ANGRY.

select all - format - tabs - clear all tabs - fix indent - why is that indent not fixed? - oh there's another random tab - BUT I CLEARED ALL TABS - apparently not - try again - now create bullets - NO STOP INDENTING IT HALF WAY ACROSS THE PAGE - burst into tears

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Jeepers 18 Dec 2009 20:58:28 13,175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is a fucking hateful app. I'm not sure which is worse tho' - Word or (spit) Powerpoint.

Both absolutely fucking shite for anything more complicated than a letter to your Gran.
  • Deleted user 18 December 2009 21:03:21
    I hate people who don't know how to use MS Word.
  • Jeepers 18 Dec 2009 21:04:00 13,175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:

/cockpunches
  • otto Moderator 18 Dec 2009 21:08:21 49,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I know how to use MS Word. But I have to correct the work of hundreds who don't. A decent word processor would not give rise to the formatting abortions that I see in my in-tray.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Lukey__b 18 Dec 2009 21:33:47 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's ok if you're not being a douche with it.

I'm kidding, but seriously, stop being a douche.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• otto Moderator 18 Dec 2009 22:08:45 49,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for your advice

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 4 First / Last