The "I hate Microsoft Word" rant thread

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 01:32:51 11,261 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, it's that time of year again where, between one thing and another, I am forced to use Microsoft Word. I'm not planning a long rant here. In fact, it will be brief and to the point. I hate it. I fucking hate its miserable guts! To do anything with it, I feel like I have to fight it every inch of the way. It's a cunt. /ends rant

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Dirtbox 7 Mar 2008 01:37:44 77,453 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't use it then.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Syrette 7 Mar 2008 01:39:34 43,055 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whats to hate?

• Tiger_Walts 7 Mar 2008 01:47:28 16,578 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Type up in Notepad. C+P to Word when done.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 01:49:39 11,261 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote: Type up in Notepad. C+P to Word when done.
    Can't, I have to fill in a number of forms that were sent to me in Word format, and so I have no choice but to stick with it. It keeps doing things unexpectedly. ;_; I hate it. It's a cunt!

• Syrette 7 Mar 2008 02:10:20 43,055 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, you're just a noob.

• PazJohnMitch 7 Mar 2008 02:16:19 7,779 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My company documents have boarders on them drawn in the footer. If the client name is longer than a certain number of letters it can take nearly an hour to get the pages to look right. Really fooking annoying.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 02:20:48 11,261 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote: My company documents have borders on them drawn in the footer. If the client name is longer than a certain number of letters it can take nearly an hour to get the pages to look right. Really fooking annoying.
    This is exactly the kinda shit I'm talkin' about! >:(

• rare_uk 7 Mar 2008 06:54:37 3,561 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The amount of crashes word 2000 has is laughable/"cryable". Hopefully newer versions are more stable.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 06:56:13 11,261 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Look not to hope. It has forsaken these lands!

• rare_uk 7 Mar 2008 07:02:49 3,561 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Look not to hope. It has forsaken these lands!
    Riiight

/backs away slowly
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 07:06:08 11,261 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm behind you too. :|

• otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 08:14:41 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why are you forced to use it? No-one's forced to use it, there are dozens of alternatives. Even in the office, they can't force you - or are they blocking access to Google Docs?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 08:31:42 11,261 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Basically, this is a one off thing where I have to use it for a few hours (probably about six altogether). So, I kinda do have to use it, as it doesn't open correctly in Open Office or Pages. The hassle I'd get fixing all the formatting fuck-ups would push the time up. If it were any longer a job, or any shorter, I probably wouldn't care so much. :(

• otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 08:31:52 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pages?!? Even if he has a Mac I wouldn't recommend it personally. Use Open Office if you need to save as .doc or .pdf.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Deleted user 7 March 2008 09:04:33
    Nothing wrong with Word. Go on a course.
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2008 09:08:18 58,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rare uk wrote:
    The amount of crashes word 2000 has is laughable/"cryable". Hopefully newer versions are more stable.

Heh yeah. 'The Corruptor'. I spent most of my old job deleting normal.doc.

Anything above 2k is fairly stable. 2k was a disaster, though.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• MetalDog 7 Mar 2008 09:08:47 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It sounds to me like the bulk of the problem is the format it was put into by someone else. I use Word all the time with no problem, but dealing with other people's docs where they've clicked all kinds of formatting options they didn't need/didn't know how to use and things can get a bit annoying.

Turn all the auto-formatting crap off for a start.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 09:12:02 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Word was not bad in 1997 though I was always a Word Perfect man. With every iteration since then it has just got worse and worse. A gazillion features that you never use and which get in your way. Nightmare. It takes an hour to configure it every time you get a fresh install - and that's if your sysadmin lets you. For some reason, my Mac version won't even let me save normal.dot.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• kalel 7 Mar 2008 09:12:45 86,220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Word is fine. You should try using Powerpoint. Now that really is a cunt of a program.
  • Jeepers 7 Mar 2008 09:20:08 13,173 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Word sucks. Powerpoint sucks. And they both suck for pretty much the same reason, in my opinion: their insistence on trying to guess what it is you want to do, rather than doing precisely what you've told them to do.

I get sent Word and PPT files all the time at work and I often need to snip content from one doc and place it in another. In something like Quark, this would be a piece of piss:

Me: "Hi Quark. Here's some text. Please ignore any of the formatting and drop it in as raw text and I'll make it look nice."

Quark: "Sure. No problem."

With Word:

Me: "Hi Word. We've been thro' this before. I've got some text here and I just want you to put it into this document. Nothing else. I don't want you to format it, suddenly change it to an H3 or decide that it would be better if it was in yellow. k?"

Word: "Whuh? You want it in yellow, as an H3? Sure. No problem."

Me: "You are a cunt."

Word: (crashes)
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2008 09:24:12 58,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quark is just as prone to hiccups as word and costs 5 times more, so its not really a fair comparison.

And, as MD said, a lot of the problems come from pre-edited documents that span over a few incarnations of word. The text style thing being a particular problem.

To be fair, anything after 2k is stable and usable as a text editor. I cant really see what the problem is (if you start a doc from scratch).

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• X201 7 Mar 2008 09:24:13 15,124 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Why are you forced to use it? No-one's forced to use it,

You are forced to use it if you're tendering for a contract with Transport for London (and other companies) because that's how they send out their financial assessment forms and they want you to type into the blank spaces on the form. They refuse to allow you to use alternative methods like PDF Forms.
  • Jeepers 7 Mar 2008 09:26:01 13,173 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    otto wrote:

You are forced to use it if you're tendering for a contract with Transport for London (and other companies) because that's how they send out their financial assessment forms and they want you to type into the blank spaces on the form. They refuse to allow you to use alternative methods like PDF Forms.

Pretty much the same here: Public sector bids demand it, private sector bids expect it.

ime, Open/Neo/WhateverOffice is 99% compatible, but the last 1% is a bitch and makes it unusable in day-to-day work. Pages is cute, but is 95% compatible - the last 5% is juuuuuust enough to outweigh the general luvverlyness of the app.
  • MetalDog 7 Mar 2008 09:26:39 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I want to strip formatting out of a doc, I drop the fucker in notepad and copy from there. Word, as you say, always wants to help, but always fucks it up.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• otto Moderator 7 Mar 2008 09:27:17 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    otto wrote:

You don't need MS Office to create .doc documents. I'm forced to submit .docs myself but I don't use Word to create them.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Jeepers 7 Mar 2008 09:27:49 13,173 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    To be fair, anything after 2k is stable and usable as a text editor. I cant really see what the problem is (if you start a doc from scratch).

This is the problem - if you're working on a doc that's versioned from 0.1 to 3.1 by four separate teams, the end result is a fetid pile of shite that slows down, renders incorrectly and makes me froth at the mouth.

How hard can it be to make a word processor? And when did MS forget that what people want is a word processor, not a sodding quasi-page layout app.

Tossers.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 Mar 2008 09:46:38 11,261 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote: Word was not bad in 1997 though I was always a Word Perfect man. With every iteration since then it has just got worse and worse. A gazillion features that you never use and which get in your way. Nightmare. It takes an hour to configure it every time you get a fresh install.
    This is, in fact, my main complaint. In the quest to get Word to do things that Word has no business doing, it has become a steaming crock of shit. I used to love Word a decade and more ago. Mind you, I loved Windows '98 too, and hated every successive iteration of that, even though I'm sure it crashes less statistically... >:/

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous