PC Gaming site

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • FooAtari 5 Mar 2008 15:29:47 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone recommend any good PC games site for news and reviews?

Due to lack of use the 360 and Wii are getting shifted I think and I find EG to be a bit too console orientated for somebody who only owns a PC. I'll probably continue to use the forums but not visit the main site very often.
  • Xerx3s 5 Mar 2008 15:36:25 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dunno, I just buy pc magazines every month. Far better reading material than most stuff you find online.
  • ming 5 Mar 2008 15:37:48 275 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RPS is a good site and has lots of stuff you wont find on other sites.
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Mar 2008 15:40:36 35,785 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rock paper Shotgun rocks, papers and shotugns. Not really any traditional review, though. And you probably know it already. :)

edit:

Hot damn!
  • Ravenger 5 Mar 2008 15:48:39 190 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I use Blues News as my primary news source for PC stuff. Has daily links to pc game and hardware reviews.
  • Katsumoto 5 Mar 2008 16:08:58 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll whisper this, in case they find me here in the depths of the forums..

But similarly, i'm starting to direct my EG link just to the PC news (despite owning a Wii and DS AND ps2). This is mainly due to my inability to resist clicking on the comments, then my inability to resist the bait laid by infuriating twats. This seems to be getting a lot worse lately too.

Luckily, the forums seem relatively safe from the Curse of Miiguel, Kyron and their band of merry men.

I generally stick to Rock Paper Shotgun and my monthly sub to PC GAMER (been subbing for over 10 years now... no sign of a dip in quality (unlike PC ZONE, arguably)). Go over to www.pcgamer.co.uk and they occasionally put some of their features up.
  • FooAtari 5 Mar 2008 18:11:26 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Katsumoto wrote:
    But similarly, i'm starting to direct my EG link just to the PC news (despite owning a Wii and DS AND ps2). This is mainly due to my inability to resist clicking on the comments, then my inability to resist the bait laid by infuriating twats. This seems to be getting a lot worse lately too.

Yes yes and yes. While I think the sites PC coverage is a little lacking I am also unable to resist clicking on the comments button. One particular news item about Cliffy B and his u-turn on PC gaming pissed me off no end, the comments section that is :) Twats.

Already use Ars, great site but there games section is relatively small although I think they do pretty damn good reviews and use Hard OCP for my hardware news. I'll check out the sites suggested though. Maybe it's time to return to good old fashioned print, I've found it pretty hard to find a games site dedicated to, or at last with a decent focus, on PC games.
  • Katsumoto 5 Mar 2008 18:15:40 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also worth pointing out that Rock Paper Shotgun are introducing a quasi-review thing, in their own inimitable style. Rather than giving marks they just say whether you should buy it or not. They've done The Club (Don't Buy) and Audiosurf (Buy) so far.

But yeah, take a peek at PCG next time you're in WHSmith too. I love magazines. No comments section after the reviews. :)
  • Katsumoto 6 Mar 2008 16:15:16 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Uhh. No. Blatant bias lol? Care to explain any of that? I think the last time that happened was when they gave Halo 2 a crap store and they were accused of.. something.

Also, what does inconsistent scoring mean? Unless you give the same game a different score in two places, I don't really see how that's possible. Bearing in mind, just like Eurogamer, PCG is written by MORE THAN ONE PERSON.

PCG is pretty much known as the most respectable pc games mag in the UK, if not the world!

edit: unless you mean the US Edition of course, which sucks. SUCKS ASS!
  • Feanor 6 Mar 2008 18:03:41 14,182 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I recently subscribed to the Game For Windows magazine because I enjoyed their podcasts at 1up a lot. And it was only US $1 an issue.
  • FooAtari 7 Mar 2008 11:13:29 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah the podcast is good but I can never trust an official magazine. Still at $1.....
  • Xerx3s 7 Mar 2008 11:20:18 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm reading PCGP. It's just about the best pc magazine out there but unfortunatly only for the benelux.
  • Katsumoto 7 Mar 2008 19:28:58 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Boo! I'm an idiot then :)
  • Hunam 8 Mar 2008 09:32:21 20,674 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never really seen PCG as respectable. PCZ have been known to take hype on board and they have held their hands up and apologised for doing so, if anything I'd say PCZ has always been regarded as the best of the crop. Certainly why I've had a sub with them for the last 10 years.
  • Katsumoto 8 Mar 2008 13:35:51 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    Katsumoto wrote:
    Boo! I'm an idiot then :)

Sorry - I worded that harshly. Didn't mean you personally.

It's okay, I didn't take offence :) If I put a smiley in, it's a good sign i'm having a laugh. Damn internet and inability to convey the tone of what i'm saying!

• Katsumoto 8 Mar 2008 13:38:17 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    I've never really seen PCG as respectable. PCZ have been known to take hype on board and they have held their hands up and apologised for doing so, if anything I'd say PCZ has always been regarded as the best of the crop. Certainly why I've had a sub with them for the last 10 years.

I used to get PCZ in the mid 90s when Charlie Brooker et al were writing. It was a good counter-party to PCG, very different writing styles at play. Is that still the case, though? From my albeit brief flickthroughs in newsagents it seems PCZ has started to become more like PCG, I suppose both being published by Future now helps. I could be wrong though. Maybe I should pick up an issue and investigate.

I suppose having Kieron Gillen and Jim Rossignol writing for PCG helps up what I perceive to be their respectability. Maybe i'm just a dribbling PCG fanboy though :)
  • Lacero 8 Mar 2008 13:46:53 516 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    But PCGamer is rubbish. Inconsistent scoring, incredibly blatent bias, erm and some other stuff.

I stopped reading it after they gave Braveheart 91% and wasted 35 of my money.
    I realise I may have held this grudge too long.
  • HoriZon 8 Mar 2008 13:58:37 13,589 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The best site Shacknews! ;)

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Bru-Man 8 Mar 2008 14:16:56 200 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hunam wrote:

Yup, have to recommend PC Zone too, had a sub for donkeys. Completely trust the reviews (although saw right through the Unreal 2 review they did - gatefold cover, multi-page review, 90%+ review score - only time they've done that though) and it's always made me laugh.
    PC Gamer comes across as far too serious and anyone read "Total PC Games"? Trying far, far too hard to be PC Zone, but they're just not funny.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2008 14:21:32
    PC Zone hasn't been good since the turn of the century. Back in the day when they were first to approach the "Lads Mag Meets Gaming" crossover they did some genuinely amusing articles (mostly thanks to one Charles Brooker) and had some awesome writers. Nowadays they're a pale shadow of their former selves.
  • Katsumoto 8 Mar 2008 21:25:44 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the advice of "y'all", i went out and bought PCZ today. I've been very impressed, I do admit. Tiny bit of hypocrisy from me here (as I hate the people who turn all reviews on EG into a discussion of how it should have been 8/10 not 7/10 etc) - my only gripe, which is one I held in the past re: PCZ is that their scoring seems to be rather generous - in PCG its rare to have more than one game every month or few scoring more than 90, but PCZ gives them away fairly liberally. 95% for EQ2? 91% for LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth? But as always, whining about stupid numbers is gay. FOrget I said anything. OH GOD.

Who cares though - the reviews themselves are well written and amusing, and they certainly aren't on an IGN level of generosity when it comes to reviews, they know how to mark a game down when they want as well!

Doesn't stop me preferring PCG though :) - the sub price for PCZ is fucking cheap though so i'm tempted to start subbing to it in addition. Good stuff. (10 quid for 3 months).
  • FooAtari 11 Mar 2008 17:06:38 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right! Thats fucking it

http://www.eurogamer.net/article_discussion.php?article_id=94389

Where are those sites you guys suggested before, got them bookmarked somewhere...

Bought PCG, seems pretty decent, I'll check out PCZ too.

/stops reading EG. (keeps reading forum though)
  • Katsumoto 11 Mar 2008 18:39:22 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    haha, yeah, I couldn't resist reading that thread earlier today...

/headdesk.

Like you, i think i'm going to put my EG link straight to the forum now. THere are other places for news, and 90% of the time a PC review goes up RPS will link to it.

www.rockpapershotgun.com
    www.bluesnews.com

Hurrah. I also recommend the pcgamer and pczone websites, they keep a fair lot of reviews up and their blogs are fun, though not regularly updated. Etc.
  • FooAtari 25 Mar 2008 14:28:15 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok so I quite liked both issues of PC Zone and PC Gamer that I bought.

I thought the PC Gamer's reviews were more in depth, but sometimes I thought the final score was a little higher than the text of the review suggest. PCZones scores seemed to better match what they said.

PC Gamer seems to have better columns and features, although I did like PC Zones CnC feature. I also like the Indizones and Freeplay sections of PC Zone, they seem to better cover areas outside of the big commercial releases (can't think of a better term)

PC Gamer seems to have better hardware sections, but I get more than enough hardware news and reviews on the net.

I'm only going to subscribe to one as I have enough problems reading just one magazine a month lol.

I always kind of though that, by the name and style of the cover that PC Zone was more of a kids/teens magazine and PC Gamer more, erm, grown up. But I hadn't read PC Zone in a long time so that was perhaps unfair.

From what I have said here I'm thinking I like PC Zone better, but I'm only basing this on one issue.

What you lot think/read?
  • FooAtari 25 Mar 2008 14:29:08 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • r3n 26 Mar 2008 15:27:50 8 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had subscriptions to PCZ and PCG over the years and both have a different feel to them, although neither are perfect. I know it's not purely PC but I've had a browse through Games^TM magazine a couple of times now, and it seems pretty well written/presented with sensible scores for games. It's clearly aimed at a similar age group and market to Edge, but isn't as pretentious and Halo loving as that pile of poo
  • FooAtari 27 Mar 2008 14:26:55 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I used to buy GamesTM quite a lot, decent mag.

I think Ill sub to PC Zone see how that works out. Just bought the most recent issue of PCG and I still think PCZ is a more complete magazine.
  • Katsumoto 29 Mar 2008 22:40:40 1,358 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PCZ used to be aimed at the "lads mag" generation but has changed a lot since then seemingly. I have subbed to PCG for over a decade now, whereas PCZ I hadn't read consistently for the same amount of time after having a fair few of them in the mid 90s. However, I really enjoyed the latest PCZ I bought, so now I sub to both!

PCG has been a lot more consistent over the years then it would seem, but that doesn't really affect you as the new reader, and PCZs "new" (i dont know how new the current direction actually is as i wasnt a regular reader) direction is promising.

I say, MAKE THE TIME DAMNIT and sub to both. Hurrah.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous