PS3 Wireless connection problems

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 14:49:23 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My dad has got a PS3 which he would like to get online. I tried and have had problmes with it.

I remember having problems trying to get my PSP online when I lived at home.

The set up is as follows:

Virgin DSL broadband 20Mb
    Netgear Wireless router.

I have managed to get my PSP and Xbox 360 connected on my ADSL broadband via a wireless router no problem but have had no joy with the DSL connection for the PS3.

When I go through the network settings, the PS3 recognises the router no problem with about 90% strength. However, when I get to the stage when it does an connection test, it fails on the 'Obtain IP address' part and the test fails.

Has anyone else encountered the same problems? Does anyone have any advice to offer at all? Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Big-Swiss 3 Mar 2008 14:51:30 8,087 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got some Problems from time to time, same when i try remote play with the PSP, I honestly think my router is too weak, I need a better, stronger mashine, and it is alle perfect!

?? Or is there a advice around?
  • X201 3 Mar 2008 14:55:49 15,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got to ask the obvious.
    Have you got DHCP turned on in your router?
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 14:58:24 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:

I have no idea - will have to check. I vaguley remember checking this on the touter settings but can't remember what it is set to. I am a novice with these wireless routers. What is DHCP?
  • X201 3 Mar 2008 15:03:29 15,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    X201 wrote:

I have no idea - will have to check. I vaguley remember checking this on the touter settings but can't remember what it is set to. I am a novice with these wireless routers. What is DHCP?

Each device(PC, PSP PS3 etc) that connects to your network needs and IP address.

DHCP is a way of automatically handing out IP addresses to any device that wants one. It picks an address from a "pool" and gives it to the device that requested one - it can be a different number each time.

The alternative to DHCP is Static, where you give the machine an address. And that address stays with the machine.

• PhoenixFlames 3 Mar 2008 15:05:23 8,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    My dad has got a PS3 which he would like to get online. I tried and have had problmes with it.

Netgear Wireless router.

I have managed to get my PSP and Xbox 360 connected on my ADSL broadband via a wireless router no problem but have had no joy with the DSL connection for the PS3.

When I go through the network settings, the PS3 recognises the router no problem with about 90% strength. However, when I get to the stage when it does an connection test, it fails on the 'Obtain IP address' part and the test fails.

Has anyone else encountered the same problems? Does anyone have any advice to offer at all? Any help would be much appreciated.

Each device(PC, PSP PS3 etc) that connects to your network needs and IP address.

DHCP is a way of automatically handing out IP addresses to any device that wants one. It picks an address from a "pool" and gives it to the device that requested one - it can be a different number each time.

The alternative to DHCP is Static, where you give the machine an address. And that address stays with the machine.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• pistol 3 Mar 2008 15:08:40 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:

Netgear Wireless router.

Have you entered the router configuration numbers correctly?
  • Big-Swiss 3 Mar 2008 15:10:16 8,087 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    X201 wrote:

I have no idea!

Would that mean, that it wouldn't work at all? then I have whatwever is correct;-))
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 15:13:42 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Fonzie wrote:

Netgear Wireless router.

Have you entered the router configuration numbers correctly?

I set it to automatic and the PS3 found them for me. Will give this DHCP thing a go next time I'm there. The thing is a pain in the arse to get online.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2008 15:24:49
    Have you tried clicking your fingers then saying "Heeeeeeeeey!" with both thumbs up?
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 15:26:20 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another though on this - would it have anything to do with the fact that the DSL connection does not have a static IP address? It has a roaming IP address apparently. Would the DHCP thing still work considering this?
  • Deleted user 3 March 2008 15:27:05
    I put my PS3 in the DMZ when I realised DHCP was assigning the same address every time, connection problems solved.

I couldn't get anywhere with the PS3 when I assigned my own IPs.
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 15:27:44 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cthulhu_steev wrote:
    Have you tried clicking your fingers then saying "Heeeeeeeeey!" with both thumbs up?

I will try this, but somehow I don't think it will work.

/combs hair
  • Deleted user 3 March 2008 15:28:28
    And switch UPnP on in your router settings.
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 15:34:36 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cthulhu_steev wrote:
    I put my PS3 in the DMZ when I realised DHCP was assigning the same address every time, connection problems solved.

What do I need to put in the DMZ? Is this done via router settings?
  • PhoenixFlames 3 Mar 2008 15:39:06 8,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a netgear router and all I had to do was add my PS3 to the MAC address list in the router settings, enter my WEP key on the PS3 and Roberts your father's brother.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Deleted user 3 March 2008 15:39:39
    Fonzie wrote:
    cthulhu_steev wrote:

Once you have your (permanent) IP address for the PS3, go into you router settings -> DMZ Hosting -> enter your PS3's IP address in there.

Before I did that I always got NAT3 (bad for online gaming) now I get NAT2 every time and I get faster downloads and much better online, especially when connecting from inside a game- I never used to be able to connect to the servers.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2008 15:41:11
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    I have a netgear router and all I had to do was add my PS3 to the MAC address list in the router settings, enter my WEP key on the PS3 and Roberts your father's brother.

Ah, I didn't realise you could do that.
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 15:48:23 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cthulhu_steev wrote:
    Fonzie wrote:
    cthulhu_steev wrote:

Once you have your (permanent) IP address for the PS3, go into you router settings -> DMZ Hosting -> enter your PS3's IP address in there.

Before I did that I always got NAT3 (bad for online gaming) now I get NAT2 every time and I get faster downloads and much better online, especially when connecting from inside a game- I never used to be able to connect to the servers.

How do I get a permanent IP address for the PS3?
  • X201 3 Mar 2008 15:57:28 15,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fonzie.
    Set up your PS3 the same as you've set up your PSP.
    You don't need to worry about the DMZ and NAt type at this time, you're just after a connection of any kind.

That should at least get you a connection

If the PS3 gives you a message complaining about your NAT type go to
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
    and follow the instructions there for your particular router.
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 15:59:47 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Fonzie.
    Set up your PS3 the same as you've set up your PSP.
    You don't need to worry about the DMZ and NAt type at this time, you're just after a connection of any kind.

That should at least get you a connection

If the PS3 gives you a message complaining about your NAT type go to http://portforward.com/ and follow the instructions there for your particular router.

I have never managed to set up my PSP on my dads DSL connection. It works fine on the ADSL connection at my house though when I follow the same process.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2008 16:01:13
    Fonzie wrote:

I let my router assign an IP, I have a PC, 2 laptops, my XBox, my PSP and my PS3. DHCP assigns the same address to them every time so I didn't bother doing it manually.
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 16:07:07 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cthulhu_steev wrote:
    Fonzie wrote:

I let my router assign an IP, I have a PC, 2 laptops, my XBox, my PSP and my PS3. DHCP assigns the same address to them every time so I didn't bother doing it manually.

Ok cool, I will give this a go then. Do you use a DSL connection?
  • Deleted user 3 March 2008 16:13:00
    Fonzie wrote:
    cthulhu_steev wrote:
    Fonzie wrote:

NTL/Virgin cable broadband and their slightly shitty Actiontec wireless router. It doesn't matter though does it, your connection connects to the router via USB/ Ethernet, the signal into the router shouldn't matter?

Or have I got it completely wrong?
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 16:18:32 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cthulhu_steev wrote:
    Fonzie wrote:
    cthulhu_steev wrote:
    Fonzie wrote:

NTL/Virgin cable broadband and their slightly shitty Actiontec wireless router. It doesn't matter though does it, your connection connects to the router via USB/ Ethernet, the signal into the router shouldn't matter?

Or have I got it completely wrong?

I have no idea - I was just going on the basis that if it works for you, and you have a similar set up to me, then it should work for me. Will have to give it another go asap.
  • PhoenixFlames 3 Mar 2008 16:22:33 8,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    everybodyknowsadave wrote:

getting a DSlite online thoug.. thats another story, seems it doesnt like WPA2 and bollocks am i changing it all for that little white bugger.

Racist?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 16:25:35 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    everybodyknowsadave wrote:

getting a DSlite online thoug.. thats another story, seems it doesnt like WPA2 and bollocks am i changing it all for that little white bugger.

Racist?

lol
  • Fonzie 3 Mar 2008 16:37:25 1,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    frod wrote:
    whether your actual external Internet connection is dynamic or not is irrelevant to your internal DHCP issues.

Thats what I wanted to here. So do my issues lie with the router then?
  • kungphu 3 Mar 2008 16:55:31 71 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    frod wrote:
    it sounds like it.

as mentioned before, check DHCP is enabled, and that the MAC address is set in the router (if MAC address filtering is enabled).

note: the MAC address will be different for the wifi connection to the ethernet connection, so ensure you've got the right one in there!

My pal 60gb launch model uses the same mac for both, dont know if this has changed on any other models
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous