XNA Indie Games Page 4

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• BetsyA 23 Feb 2008 03:57:05 2 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some links that may answer a few posters' quesitons...

My boss Dax has an article on gamasutra that talks about how to submit a game and what happens in peer review (I'm program manager for peer review):

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3545/sponsored_feature_democratizing_.php

On this page, he goes into what the rules are when we launch the beta: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3545/sponsored_feature_democratizing_.php?page=2

Essentially, so we can work out the kinks of the system and not make folks suffer too much when community games appear on Xbox Live, the beta is limited to Creators Club members.

That beta timeframe is a good time for game creators to get the hang of the system too and think about the elements they use to promote their game (screenshots, video link, text) as well as the gameplay and lack of crashing bugs :) Because peer review is my feature, I'm really keen to find out what people think of it when we get it out there - the screens, the process and how to make it better.

Anyway, hope that helps! I need to catch up on sleep. :)

Betsy Aoki
    XNA program manager

• Syrette 23 Feb 2008 03:59:13 44,090 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Dishwasher > DMC4

Seriously.

• Deleted user 23 February 2008 10:25:57
    I loved that dishwasher game's graphics and presentation, but it just seemed to be a relentless button basher, or am i just crap? :)
  • elredeyegrande 23 Feb 2008 10:54:42 2,382 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're crap.

Is there much left in the Dishwasher after the boss fight? I got disconnected from XBL while playing it and it returned me to the dashboard.
  • phAge 23 Feb 2008 11:15:24 24,412 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FAO developers of "Proximity HD":

If you want to include variable difficulty in your game, please note that simply adding 5 to the CPUs numbers, subtracting 5 from the players ditto and calling it 'hard' does not - NOT - make for very fun gameplay. In fact, it makes for extremely, unbearably frustrating and lame gameplay that makes me want to shove my 360 powerbrick down your throat.

Wankers.
  • crashVoodoo 23 Feb 2008 11:46:18 3,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fast turnaround promised for XNA community club

If you're not familiar with the XNA peer-review process (and we've seen confusing reports online wrongly suggesting that anyone with an Xbox Live membership can screen these DIY games), here's the gist: When Creators Club members finish making a game, they'll upload it to the community along with a form that describes the content, level of violence, etc. Creators Club members then review the game and make sure it matches the developer's description -- as well as lacks any adults-only or copyrighted content. Once enough members reach a consensus that the game is as described and appropriate, the title passes the validation process and lands on a special Community Games tab on the 360 dashboard that all Xbox Live members can access. (Microsoft isn't giving pricing details yet for these titles, although we expect they won't be free since the developers will get a cut of the profits.) If the community doesn't reach a consensus, the game is kicked back to the creator for tweaks. Schappert expects that Creators Club members will do what they can to keep the evaluation process speedy. "They want to share these games with the world," he says, adding that games will be available as soon as they're validated rather than hitting in batches. This steady flow will give the Community Games tab a YouTube vibe as new titles arrive day and night.

The Entertainment Software Rating Board will not be involved in the rating process -- these games will be unrated -- but content must meet the standards of the Creators Club community and a user-agreement that every member will sign. And even if garage coders get cheeky and try to Trojan in naughty bits, Microsoft can nuke offensive games from orbit. "We're asking the community to be disciplined and act accordingly, and they're agreeing," says Schappert, adding that Microsoft has recorded 800,000 downloads of the XNA game-creation software so far. "But we also have active take downs if something inappropriate gets through. We can certainly swoop in and take care of that stuff if we need to. We're not saying everything will be cutesy and simple, but these games are not going to cross the threshold of what's not accessible, which we have even for our retail products." In other words, don't expect Xbox Live Arcade recreations of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' infamous Hot Coffee sex minigame.

liking this more and more ... basically i'm just testing games and not getting paid but who cares .. free games to play for a bit :)

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Psychotext 20 Nov 2008 00:06:02 54,798 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I may have to go back and update the OP to be some sort of useful thread. Been playing quite a few of these and there's some good stuff up there. My recommendations to try right now would be... (you might notice I'm going through A-Z, not finished yet)

Abstracted - Drop puzzler. Visually very basic, but the game is sound enough. I had a bit of a blonde moment to start though and I couldn't work out what I was supposed to be doing.

Artoon - Sort of like q*bert for the HD generation. I love the visuals on this... there's a bit of tearing but they're very good overall. Seems to be quite a bit of variation on the style too.

Bloc - Shooter. Slick presentation from the menus to the game. Simple game but it mashed my brain due to the colours rotating with the orientation of the gamepad buttons obviously staying in the same place (try it, you'll get what I'm rambling about).

Blow - Puzzler. Looked quite interesting and I really liked the music. The flower / fairy effect was pretty cool too. I was annoyed by pressing B to progress through the tutorial (I'm pedantic like that).

Drift - Visually interactive screensaver. Interesting, but it was hard for me to see what affect I was having on it outside of the sliders. A simple tutorial of how to get the best out of it might have been an idea.
  • Xerx3s 21 Nov 2008 14:49:29 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quick technical question for the dev whizzes: I'm playing around with blur, bloom, glow, etc. So it basically makes an image of the whole 'screen'. How would make it so that it only 'captures' the objects that I want? Like i.e. objects that are at a certain distance from the camera?

Or is the only way to do that by cutting up the 'draw' cycle to multiple loops that render over each other bases on parameters (doesn't seem to be very efficient)?
  • Xerx3s 21 Nov 2008 15:03:31 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh and another thing: I want to make a fog. But a bit of a weird one. It must be multi coloured. So i.e. distance 0 to 10 is Colour A to B, 10 to 20 is Colour B to C, etc.

This could cheaply be solved by some specular colouring and the default fog parameter but it has the problem that you would have colour 'cutouts' of objects standing behind another.

I don't want to use volumetric fog. Is there a nice way to approach this?
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Nov 2008 15:08:15 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    The Dishwasher > DMC4

Seriously.

What the hell happened to this?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• CaptainBinky 21 Nov 2008 15:12:34 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AHA! This thread is definitely the correct place to pimp the amazing XNA Community Games Eurogamer Group thingy! It's nice!

I'll stop with the pimping now though.
  • Xerx3s 21 Nov 2008 15:17:56 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Joined, NOW ANSWER MY QUESTIONS BIATCHES! :D
  • Stoatboy 21 Nov 2008 15:25:00 44 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc: The Dishwsher's coming out on XBLA rather than as a community game, I believe. It went up on PartnerNet a fair few weeks ago.
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Nov 2008 15:27:09 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stoatboy wrote:
    @mcmonkeyplc: The Dishwsher's coming out on XBLA rather than as a community game, I believe. It went up on PartnerNet a fair few weeks ago.

Oh, I knew it was too good to be put amongst the other stuff. An early example of how sucessful community games can be?

I certainly hope so. It's an awesome game.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• CaptainBinky 21 Nov 2008 15:28:52 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hello Xerx3s. Could you not add a bit to your shader which takes the z value and interpolates between colour values based off it?
  • ilmaestro 21 Nov 2008 15:30:32 32,472 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I was annoyed by pressing B to progress through the tutorial (I'm pedantic like that)
    Is it made by a Japanese person/team, perhaps?

• crispyduckman 21 Nov 2008 15:33:58 1,888 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    I was annoyed by pressing B to progress through the tutorial (I'm pedantic like that)
    Is it made by a Japanese person/team, perhaps?
    I hear what Psycho is saying. PAIN on this PS3 really hacked me off with it's "triange" button to confirm nonsense. You can't mess with gamers' heads like that.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• ilmaestro 21 Nov 2008 15:38:20 32,472 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, triangle to confirm is just insane. Circle/B, however, is standard, just not our standard.

• RedSparrows 21 Nov 2008 15:52:55 23,868 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Weapon of Choice is hilarious. Heavy rock music, Amiga-tones, big guns that double as jet packs.
  • seasidebaz 21 Nov 2008 16:05:28 6,157 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Oh and another thing: I want to make a fog. But a bit of a weird one. It must be multi coloured. So i.e. distance 0 to 10 is Colour A to B, 10 to 20 is Colour B to C, etc.

This could cheaply be solved by some specular colouring and the default fog parameter but it has the problem that you would have colour 'cutouts' of objects standing behind another.

I don't want to use volumetric fog. Is there a nice way to approach this?

Yes. Use volumetric fog.

The fog shader in XNA is unsupported on the Xbox, so you'll need to do it volumetrically. Then, because you're essentially billboarding, you can just set the colour of the sprite to be whatever based off the Z element of the position vector.
  • seasidebaz 21 Nov 2008 16:07:35 6,157 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Quick technical question for the dev whizzes: I'm playing around with blur, bloom, glow, etc. So it basically makes an image of the whole 'screen'. How would make it so that it only 'captures' the objects that I want? Like i.e. objects that are at a certain distance from the camera?

Or is the only way to do that by cutting up the 'draw' cycle to multiple loops that render over each other bases on parameters (doesn't seem to be very efficient)?

For this bit, you can render the objects you want into a new RenderTarget, then apply your shader, then use the spritebatch to draw the resulting image over the top of it.
  • Xerx3s 21 Nov 2008 23:40:06 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CaptainBinky wrote:
    Hello Xerx3s. Could you not add a bit to your shader which takes the z value and interpolates between colour values based off it?

Have been thinking in that direction but I'm not quite sure how I should approach this.
  • Xerx3s 21 Nov 2008 23:43:45 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    seasidebaz wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:

For this bit, you can render the objects you want into a new RenderTarget, then apply your shader, then use the spritebatch to draw the resulting image over the top of it.

Right, got ya. Was flowing to that as well, seems like the way to go.

So the 360 doesn't support the fog thing. I see. Oke, volumetric fog it is. I wonder how heavy it will be on the system though. :/
  • sanctusmortis 22 Nov 2008 00:15:05 9,707 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Weapon of Choice is hilarious. Heavy rock music, Amiga-tones, big guns that double as jet packs.

As I've said elsewhere, it's like a tween metaller's wet dream.
  • seasidebaz 22 Nov 2008 08:51:42 6,157 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    So the 360 doesn't support the fog thing. I see. Oke, volumetric fog it is. I wonder how heavy it will be on the system though. :/

Not very, there's a volumetric cloud sample floating around (sorry, bad pun) which demonstrates the billboarding required. Seems really REALLY quick, considering that it's basically made up of sprites.
  • Xerx3s 22 Nov 2008 10:08:59 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    FAO developers of "Proximity HD":

If you want to include variable difficulty in your game, please note that simply adding 5 to the CPUs numbers, subtracting 5 from the players ditto and calling it 'hard' does not - NOT - make for very fun gameplay. In fact, it makes for extremely, unbearably frustrating and lame gameplay that makes me want to shove my 360 powerbrick down your throat.

Wankers.

That's oldschool though. ;)
  • lovely2cu 22 Nov 2008 10:25:21 1,194 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can somebody post the breadcrumbs for accessing Community Games please. Can't find them. Ta.
  • seasidebaz 22 Nov 2008 11:57:21 6,157 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lovely2cu wrote:
    Can somebody post the breadcrumbs for accessing Community Games please. Can't find them. Ta.

Games Marketplace->Community Games
  • daz_john_smith 22 Nov 2008 13:19:52 1,636 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    seasidebaz wrote:
    lovely2cu wrote:

It seems like alot of Europeans outside of the UK don't yet have access to the community games.

BTW Biology Battle is an excellent little Geometry Wars style shooter.
  • lovely2cu 22 Nov 2008 14:18:26 1,194 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    daz_john_smith wrote:
    seasidebaz wrote:
    lovely2cu wrote:

It seems like alot of Europeans outside of the UK don't yet have access to the community games.

BTW Biology Battle is an excellent little Geometry Wars style shooter.
    Seems like. Not there for me.

Everyone outside of the US and UK keeps getting locked out of this supposed brave new digital media world, apparently due to 'licensing' issues. But where's the issue with licensing when it comes to user created content? Or am I missing something?
  • Page

of 76 First / Last