• Baihu1983 1 Apr 2013 10:35:47 8,738 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Fun game for 80MSP.

Edited by Baihu1983 at 10:36:21 01-04-2013
  • alasdairm 30 Jul 2013 23:36:00 211 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Noticed that Beat Hazard Ultra has shown-up on the Indie Games section for 400 points

Didn't expect to see this update appear on the 360, especially as it's nearly 4 years since the original came out
  • TheBlackDog 8 Sep 2013 18:35:06 1,037 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    One Finger Death Punch

Loving this - trial is well worth a download, and you'll know in 30 secs if its your type of thing. If it is, offers hours of kung-fu fun for 69p.

Edited by TheBlackDog at 23:14:31 12-09-2013
  • ExcellentBenji 12 Sep 2013 21:41:32 94 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Um... anyone else noticed you can't download demos of XBLIG any longer (at least from the Xbox.com website)?

Can anyone confirm if it is possible to download demos of these on the console?
  • monty2k 13 Sep 2013 11:55:06 249 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ExcellentBenji

Yeah, Microsoft are having technical problems with the storefront. Apparently over a 1000 indie games have disappeared from xbox.com and the dashboard. Also large amounts of DLC and games on demand are unavailable too.
  • ExcellentBenji 13 Sep 2013 18:01:04 94 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @monty2k Ah, thank you for the reply! I was worried it was a deathnail specifically in XBLIG.
  • telboy007 6 Oct 2013 11:40:54 1,940 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Umm... Has anyone else given "-> " a go? My favourite bit has to be wanking a tree into a wooden rocket. I kid you not.
  • EugenesLair 30 Mar 2014 12:00:28 9 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Super Broken Games was just released on XBLIG. Contains assortment of mischievous experimental 2D gameplay, and an offline multiplayer mode.

Edited by EugenesLair at 08:43:26 22-09-2014
  • monkehhh 30 Mar 2014 12:20:29 4,689 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rescue drowning victims from the beach, and stuff.
  • alasdairm 12 Jul 2014 03:10:53 211 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Recent games have been pretty poor, but a release this week is really rather good:

Amazing Princess Sarah - it's a bit like Castlevania Harmony of Despair but built around a single player game rather than co-op. It also looks like an old school nineties Capcom title - we'll worth the 0.69

Also enjoyed 2048 Xbox edition and works really well using the d-pad

Milkstone's Midnight Bite is also pretty good - a MGS top down stealth'em up

Any other recent good stuff that I may have overlooked?
  • hedben2013 28 Apr 2015 22:02:42 427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sure is quiet in here...

Anyway, don't assume that Xbox 360 indie games have died a death just yet! Granted, recently the heavy discounts on full 360 games have made the 69p to 2 asking price of most indie games much harder to swallow, and it certainly seems like the indie section of the 360 dashboard is going out with a whisper rather than a bang.

But apparently there is hope! From the people who brought you "Who's Gonna Get The Girl" and "Island Adventure 2" comes a new soon-to-be-classic with a name that promises much (and surely indicates a profound apathy from the XBLIG publishing team):

3 Days Of Nurse Fanny
  • monkehhh 28 Apr 2015 22:06:17 4,689 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LaserCat 4 eva.
  • Baihu1983 10 Sep 2015 06:54:33 8,738 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shutting down September 2017

http://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-shutting-down-xbox-live-indie-games
  • hedben2013 10 Sep 2015 11:18:23 427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sad but expected. I might have one final hurrah of a few classics this evening in memoriam, starting with:

Zombie Estate 2
  • itsgood2slide 7 Aug 2017 13:31:00 5 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This thread has been a fantastic resource to help me find a few XBLIGs I missed out on first time round. To give something back, and to perhaps spark a final conversation about the service as we approach its closure, here is a post I just put together on the Rolling-Start.com forum about my favourite XBLIG racing games:

With Xbox Live Indie Games set to shut down in September, I have been exploring its vast library for one last time before they are all gone. It is very much a case of searching for the diamonds in the rough, but there are so many fantastic XBLIG games, many of which are quite unlike anything I have found through other channels.

I must have played almost all of the racing games released on the service, and below are the ones I have purchased and would recommend you giving a go before it is too late. Every game has a free trial and most of them are 0.69 / $1 to purchase the full game. (Some of these are available on PC as well, but many are XBLIG exclusive.)

Concept Car Series 2010, Avatar Racedrome and Avatar Karting
    Rendercode Games / Juan Alberto Munoz

These all have simple visuals, but are perhaps the most accomplished 3D XBLIG racing games. The cars all want to drift, but you have to manage the drift to avoid scrubbing too much speed. Concept Car Series 2010 is a game where the handling only seems to make sense if you use chase-cam, but the others work with either view. Avatar Racedrome introduced track elevation and a rewind function, but has only one vehicle (CCS has three vehicle classes). Avatar Karting features realistic go-karts, retains the rewind button, but loses track elevation. The developer went on to make three more racing games (Racedrome Offroad, Racedrome City and Avatar Karting 2), but these seem to use a different game engine and the cars will not lose traction to allow drifts.

Gentlemen Start Your Engiiines and Dirt Track Racer
    Maximinus

Gentlemen Start Your Engiiines is clearly inspired by Daytona, and while it does not strive to emulate the latter's depth of handling, it nonetheless delivers super-fast, drifty fun round four ovals with a 43 car field. Dirt Track Racer makes the switch to Sprint Cars, but is otherwise very similar. There are not as many vehicle options, but the track layouts have greater variety.

Figure 8 Racing and Zombie Racer
    DennisMac

What is particularly interesting about these games is that they offer some impressive customisation; you can change things like the strength of gravity, the friction level of the ground and the power of the engines, allowing for a kind of slapstick comedy mode if you choose certain combinations. Zombie Racer has the better racing, primarily due to more complex track layouts (and not really due to the zombies and guns, which feel somewhat tacked on). Figure 8 Racing maintains its relevance thanks to a better car-football mode and the (as far as I know) entirely unique car-pool mini game (as in 9-ball pool, with cars).

Little Racers Street
    Milkstone Studios

This is a game many of you will be familiar with, and it is of course available on Steam, but nonetheless I must mention it because it is quite possibly the best racing game on the service and must be a contender for best top-down racing game of all time.

Magic Racing GP 2 and Magic Racing Rally
    Magic Studio

Magic might just be the right word here, because Magic Racing GP 2 is, somehow, a top down racing game which is also a full re-creation of the 2011 F1 season, including all the circuits (plus a few classics like Imola) and an incredible depth of customisation options. It also includes three classes of go-karts and a set of single screen tracks to emulate Super Sprint. It's not a sim, but it is as close as a top-down game could really get. Magic Racing Rally does not have anything like as much depth, but is nonetheless a fun rally spin-off which is also very much worth the dollar / 69p asking price.

Toy Cars
    Eclipse Games

Another top-down racer, but this time of the Micro Machines variety (and with 3D cel-shaded style visuals). It is more than just a clone though, with challenging, momentum-heavy handling which feels more like Driver than Micro Machines.

Dirchie Kart and Dirchie Kart 2
    BrownBot

A Super Mario Kart clone with visuals that recall Wacky Races. Each vehicle has a number of hearts and once you lose them you are relegated to a slow bike until you can pass through the pits. Of course, the fastest vehicle has the least hearts and vice-versa so this leads to a nice risk-versus-reward decision to make. These are really fun, well made games, and the best of their type on XBLIG.

Avatar Grand Prix and Avatar Grand Prix 2
    Battenberg Software

Second-best, but still very much worth a go are the two Avatar Grand Prix games. Qualifying is an unusual inclusion for games that otherwise stick to the Mario Kart formula. It is close to just being seen as a cheap knock-off, but significant elevation changes give the tracks a rollercoaster feel, while rumble strips at the edges of the corners encourage accurate driving which is challenging at the highest cc level.

Ocean Drive Challenge
    need1D

An OutRun clone which feels just right, with smooth scrolling visuals and a great soundtrack. Traffic patterns feel a bit too random and some gaps can seem impossibly narrow to squeeze through, but generous collision detection can come to the rescue.

Mancebo

This game could have been called 'Mirrors Edge: Skateboard Racing', and Avatars On The Edge is both as hard and as fun as that sounds. It can be offputtingly difficult at first, mainly because falling off during a race leads to you being put back to the previous checkpoint which can be very frustrating, and time-trial mode really needs an immediate restart option. However, if you are willing to persevere with these punishments then this is a tense and exciting game not to be missed.

T.E.C. 3001
    Phoenix

A futuristic auto-runner / 3D-platformer hybrid which feels as much like a racing game as it does anything else because you must steer your character rather than just translating them left and right (like in TRON RUN/r). The game is hard, with checkpoints that are bit too infrequent for my liking, but there is nothing quite like it so I took the plunge and have enjoyed it a lot.

Flight Adventure 2
    CAVOK Games

Primarily this is just a non-combat flight simulator, but it does have a racing mode with both multi-player and time-trial modes. Gates are narrow and positioned on the ground so you have to fly accurately to successfully clear them. Very impressive game all-round.

Here are the other XBLIG games I have bought and recommend, for those interested in other genres too:

1on1 Soccer
    Along Came A Spider
    Apple Jack
    Apple Jack 2
    Arkedo Series - 01 JUMP!
    Arkedo Series - 03 PIXEL!
    AvaGlide
    AvaGlide 2
    Blocks Indie
    BlurBall
    CarneyVale Showtime
    Cosmic Cab
    Crate Expectations
    Dark
    Decay - Part 1
    Decay - Part 2
    Decay - Part 3
    Decay - Part 4 (Final)
    DLC Quest
    DLC Quest: Live Freemium or Die
    Fish Listening to Radio
    Fitba
    Gateways!
    Goals
    Graviton
    Gravitron 360
    Helico Hero
    Hidden In Plain Sight
    Hypership Still Out Of Control
    LaserCat
    Light's End
    Moon Taxi
    Mount Your Friends
    Mr Gravity
    Multitasking
    Mute Crimson
    Pendulous
    Pixelbit Helicopter Challenge
    Qoccer
    qrth-phyl
    radiangames Fireball
    radiangames Inferno
    RC Airplane Challenge
    Run Away
    Score Rush
    SFG Soccer
    Shoot 1UP
    Space Police On SuperHighway 9
    Squadron Scramble
    Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
    TIC: Part 1
    UnBound
    Vampire Rage
    Vidiot Game

I would be keen to hear of your experiences of XBLIG and any game recommendations you might have!

Edited by itsgood2slide at 17:28:05 08-08-2017
  • richardiox 7 Aug 2017 13:39:40 6,739 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh apple jack how I miss thee
  • hedben2013 7 Aug 2017 13:45:23 427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I enjoyed plenty of stuff on XBLIG, sad to see it go but it had a good run. It was nice on x360 to have a whole indie section partitioned off from the main arcade store and filterable by genre etc.

Some recommendations not on your list:

One Finger Death Punch - my favourite XBLIG by a long way
    Glow Arcade Racer - It had some horrendous rubber-banding and difficulty spikes, but I enjoyed it, and the visual style was great
    Zombie Estate/Zombie Estate 2 - Fun isometric wave-based horde shooter
    Miner Dig Deep- Great little progressive mining game, similar to Steamworld Dig (but released way back in 2009, so I'm not sure if it's an "inspired-by" or a straight up indie rip-off of something earlier?)
  • itsgood2slide 8 Aug 2017 17:19:17 5 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have not tried Zombie Estate 1 or 2 so thank you I will give them a go.

In the meantime I found a game to add after reading an interview with Haiku Interactive, developers of AvaGlide and Space Police On SuperHighway 9. Crate Expectations looks like it is just your average block sliding puzzle game, but in fact it plays more like a board game. I missed it because the developer was submitted by 'Alex at Haiku' rather than 'HaikuInteractive'.

Edited by itsgood2slide at 17:19:48 08-08-2017
  • Page

of 76 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.