XNA Indie Games Page 74

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• agparrot 6 Aug 2012 10:30:45 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was fortunate enough to get an Avaglide 2 code as a prize, and I think it is great, but it is a little bit unstable at the minute. It isn't so bad if you just play the same event repeatedly, but backing out of an event type to try another on a map sometimes leads to a game-crashing 'Code 4', and switching between the three maps usually causes a game crash, too.

If you hit the guide button during this crash, it can hard-lock the xbox while displaying a 'gamertag' Signed Out message.

Apart from that, it is a brilliant evolution of the first one, with very pretty graphics, tightened up physics and aerodynamics, and that same sense of gliding joy that the first game gave, with attention paid this time to stalling and even 'bloom' allowing you to use destabilising brakes.

It also has local co-op and Versus modes, and a multiplayer hotseat mode, although again there are a few problems here where in either Versus or Co-op I've found that in 2UP play, usually one of the Avatars does not display and you're flying an empty glider, even though on the screen of the other player you can see yourself.

Hopefully these things will get patched up, but regardless of that it's still brilliant, brilliant fun.
  • TOOTR 7 Aug 2012 10:15:28 9,644 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I was to pickup the top 5 xblig what should I choose?

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• pinebear 7 Aug 2012 19:14:14 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LaserCat (platformer / metroidvania)
    Escape Goat (platformer)
    Cluthulu Saves The World / Penny Arcade 3
    Little Racers Street (with online multiplayer)
    Apple Jack 2 or 1 (endearingly infuriating games of platforming and death)

Multiplayer bonus: Chompy Chomp Chomp and Hidden In Plain Sight

• Okamiwolf 9 Aug 2012 12:48:25 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bought Avaglide 2 after loving the first, and am having the same constant crashing to dashboard whenever I switch maps. So more like massively unstable at the moment. Game is great as always, otherwise.
  • BinaryBob101 9 Aug 2012 13:25:50 24,116 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TOOTR

I maed a game with Zombies in it - Best Zombie, mini-concept album, twin-stick shooter ever!

Applejack 2 - Best, sweet, charming, uniquely British platformer ever!

Little Racers Street - Best top down mulktiplayer racer on xbla!

Miner Dig Deep - Best ultimately relaxing mineral gathering game!

Dead Pixels - Awesome 16 bit zombie shoot 'em up/rpg-lite!

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• TOOTR 9 Aug 2012 15:56:54 9,644 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 Cheers matey :)

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• pinebear 9 Aug 2012 16:16:53 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got me on ignore then have you Toots? Eh? Eh?

WELL YOU HAVE NOW MATEY
    [/posts objectionable material]

• BinaryBob101 9 Aug 2012 16:27:06 24,116 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Both different lists, both full of quality really. There's a lot more than five fine games on the Indie channel.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• monkehhh 9 Aug 2012 17:44:58 3,477 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TOOTR Couple of others off the top of my head - Blocks That Matter and Sequence. Plus you must buy LaserCat, or else.

Edited by monkehhh at 17:45:12 09-08-2012
  • TOOTR 9 Aug 2012 17:49:52 9,644 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually Lasercat is my one and only indie game purchase thus far :D

Ooh just remembered tempted for Manic Miner too... had it on speccy and beeb.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• TOOTR 9 Aug 2012 17:52:16 9,644 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    Got me on ignore then have you Toots? Eh? Eh?

WELL YOU HAVE NOW MATEY
    [/posts objectionable material]
    lol - sorry pinebear (the freshest cleanest pine-cone breathing air type of all bears)

Bob cunningly used the @TOOTR reply so I came in from my inbox and didn't scan it all.

Thanks to you and to ALL who provide guidance and light in these darkened 'No clear list of top XBIG' times...

/bows respectfully

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• pinebear 9 Aug 2012 18:04:34 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /floats

• monkehhh 9 Aug 2012 20:24:54 3,477 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tried to register for the AppHub thingy with a verified Dreamspark student account - the whole process is like the 7th circle of hell. Seems to change my AppHub account type to 'student' would require a new Live ID, so then a new email address, a new AppHub account and a new Dreamspark account. So I'm not gonna bother. If only computers could handle changing information..
  • cloudskipa 13 Aug 2012 00:03:25 8 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    If I was to pickup the top 5 xblig what should I choose?
    I'd probably say:

Score Rush
    Leave Home (It's hard though)
    Escape Goat
    T.E.C 3001
    WoOOPuP!
  • StixxUK 13 Aug 2012 11:10:32 7,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really liked Gravitron!
  • richardiox 13 Aug 2012 11:14:10 5,714 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No love for Solar2? Right up there with Applejack as the finest the Indie Games channel has to offer. Sunk many an hour into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Kmc4trY7A
  • cloudskipa 13 Aug 2012 23:54:10 8 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @StixxUK Yeah good call, I loved that too, why there's not more 'Thrust-inspired' games on XBLIG is beyond me.
  • alasdairm 25 Aug 2012 19:27:36 156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jet Set Willy is now up on the Marketplace !!
  • monkehhh 6 Sep 2012 22:00:10 3,477 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Indie Uprising preview over at OXM

Gateways looks suitably confusing..
  • the_dudefather 6 Sep 2012 22:15:50 9,397 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I came up with the name for the call centre management game 'Smooth Operators'!

Given my love for management games that don't involve microtranactions of facebook timeline bothering, I'll have to check it out

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• monkehhh 6 Sep 2012 22:29:48 3,477 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice :)

Wish I'd have got the student AppHub thingy to work but I just gave up in the end.
  • TOOTR 7 Sep 2012 17:13:26 9,644 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    I really need to check out the original Applejack, I know it's one of the most well regarded XBLIGs around and I keep meaning to get round to it. The above trailer for the sequel looks sweet - like a cute Super Meat Boy :0)

Just in case this has passed anyone by, Radiangames have put their entire XBLIG selection on sale for the next 90 days (at least) all for the bargainous price of 80msp. That includes:

JoyJoy
    Crossfire
    Inferno
    Fluid
    Fireball
    Crossfire 2
    Ballistic

Again, I've been looking at trying some of these for a while. Any recommendations? Is it worth starting with Crossfire 1 or should I just go straight for the sequel? Flow looks good....they all do in fact :0)
    Hmm I couldn't find fluid or crossfire and a few others. Has he taken some down?

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• BinaryBob101 7 Sep 2012 17:36:54 24,116 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think some have Toots. The others have all had a price hike too I think.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• TOOTR 7 Sep 2012 18:41:46 9,644 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    No love for Solar2? Right up there with Applejack as the finest the Indie Games channel has to offer. Sunk many an hour into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Kmc4trY7A
    Thanks for the headsup on Solar2 - I've just been immersed in it for a very pleasant hour.

Nice one.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• TOOTR 7 Sep 2012 18:52:43 9,644 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    I think some have Toots. The others have all had a price hike too I think.
    Some have gone mate but I think there's a promotion on cos most of the remaining are 80pts.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• lucky_jim 8 Sep 2012 01:08:38 5,334 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Which is the best of all the XBLIG Minecraft clones? I know Fortresscraft did a lot of the early running, and Xenominer looks promising, but there've been quite a few between Fortresscraft and whenever that comes out. Is Fortresscraft still king of XBLIG Minecraft clones?

Having recently got the hang of XBLA Minecraft I want to recommend something to a friend who is very skint and isn't convinced by my verbal descriptions of the game. There's no way I'll get him to throw down 1600msp for the XBLA version without getting him into something similar first. As I'm not in the UK and he is, I can't show him Minecraft on my machine. Any suggestions?

Edited by lucky_jim at 01:08:52 08-09-2012
  • spamdangled 8 Sep 2012 02:45:55 27,426 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    @TOOTR Couple of others off the top of my head - Blocks That Matter and Sequence. Plus you must buy LaserCat, or else.
    Lasercat is great. I'm still waiting for a sequel :-(

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• agparrot 8 Sep 2012 13:29:48 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Which is the best of all the XBLIG Minecraft clones? I know Fortresscraft did a lot of the early running, and Xenominer looks promising, but there've been quite a few between Fortresscraft and whenever that comes out. Is Fortresscraft still king of XBLIG Minecraft clones?
    Probably the nearest experience to Minecraft in terms of the Indie pretenders is Total Miner: Forge. It has the nearest essence to what Minecraft does. Fortresscraft, despite all the occasional media angst about clones, is actually a very different kettle of fish, being much more like Minecraft's Creative mode, but with vastly improved tools compared to Minecraft for this purpose.

I've also got Castle Miner: Z, which is more of a survival-mode game, where monsters constantly spawn and your resource gathering focuses more on making pistols, shotguns, etc etc to fend them off from whatever structures you get around to building.

Total Miner: Forge is like an incomplete version of Minecraft, in that last time I played there were only one enemy type - Spiders, but it has a load of the other stuff that Minecraft has like 'blueprints' for making items, crafting benches, chests for storage and so on. Again, it has some different tools like lockable chests that only the host can use, that Minecraft does not. I believe the worlds of Total Miner are smaller in the horizontal distances, but you can dig much, much, much further down in it than you can in Minecraft.

Anyway, pending other people disagreeing, I would say Total Miner: Forge.

There are a couple I haven't tried yet though, like Miner Dig Deep, and another, the name of which escapes me.
  • lucky_jim 8 Sep 2012 17:30:11 5,334 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @agparrot
    Cheers mate, that's really helpful. I've got Miner Dig Deep btw, it's a very different game despite the name. It's 2d for starters; kinda like I Dig It on iOS or perhaps even Diggers on the Amiga. It's excellent and well worth a look (possibly my favourite of the early XBLIG titles) but it's not Minecraft-ish. I'll suggest Total Miner though, that sounds like just the ticket.

On an entirely separate note, City Tuesday (which people might have seen from the Indie Uprising publicity) is out now, I'm downloading the trial as I type. I'm also downloading the trial of a new top-down racer called Slow Down, I have no idea if it's any good but I thought I'd try it given how much mileage I got from Little Racers Street. Can't find it on xbox.com but it's definitely available on Live. There's a vid and some screenshots here if anyone fancies a look.

Edit: It seems that the reason I couldn't find Slow Down on xbox.com is that it's listed as SlowDown.

Edited by lucky_jim at 17:32:58 08-09-2012
  • Page

of 76 First / Last