XNA Indie Games Page 71

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 16 Feb 2012 00:42:23 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After watching I thought probably was unlikely that you were :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• juliankennedy23 18 Feb 2012 23:04:23 5 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just picked up Living Dead - Upgraded... Sure it is the 185th zombie themed twin stick shooter on the service but there is something hypnotic about it plus you get to place turrets... I am a sucker for turrets.

On edit it does seem to freeze my xbox upon completion of a round...:-(

Edited by juliankennedy23 at 23:22:49 18-02-2012
  • dan1toptier 27 Feb 2012 18:33:37 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    dishwasher all the way :D
  • lucky_jim 25 Mar 2012 10:15:31 5,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've not found much time between Mass Effect 3 and LRS to look at many new XBLIG games, so I did a little bit of a catch-up. Super Ninja Warrior Extreme stood out as worth a look, especially if you got any fun at all out of Super Meat Boy.

Also had a quick go at Ogre's Phantasm Sword Quest, but not enough to tell if it's any good. Tbh, I was crap at it and died very quickly, but I intend to give it another go just because the game's lumbering ogres look pretty cool for an XBLIG title.

Also, nice to see we've had the same re-jig the Americans got a while ago, giving the Indies a much more prominent position on the dash.

Edited by lucky_jim at 10:16:24 25-03-2012
  • Mr-Brett 25 Mar 2012 10:23:01 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I noticed the improved position of Indie and I think Arcade games (weren't they more hidden too?), I'd like to think that my whinging helped but I doubt it :)

• Lexx87 25 Mar 2012 11:37:53 20,869 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You don't like gravy?

I'm Commander Shepard and I don't aprove of this.

Edited by Lexx87 at 11:38:08 25-03-2012

Speak the truth hussy!

• toythatkills 25 Mar 2012 11:42:31 158 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I've not found much time between Mass Effect 3 and LRS to look at many new XBLIG games, so I did a little bit of a catch-up. Super Ninja Warrior Extreme stood out as worth a look, especially if you got any fun at all out of Super Meat Boy.
    Racing Wings is pretty good, but XBLIG has been a bit barren lately. The Houchi Play is worth playing because of reasons. It's not that good, but play it.
  • Mr-Brett 25 Mar 2012 11:44:15 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Lexx: I keep forgetting I put that there :p because I'm super cool and have signatures turned off.

• Deleted user 27 March 2012 07:48:56
    So I was browsing the indie catalogue last night with half a mind to buy some Radian games titles which I demoed a while back.

I noticed they are all 400 points! Im sure they used to be 80 or did I imagine that??
  • toythatkills 27 Mar 2012 09:21:50 158 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, they used to be, then they had a 500% on sale. It was an experiment to see if he'd make more money at higher prices. I can't remember the results, but he never changed them back. They're available on PC for less, I think, or you might have to wait.

In recommendations, try Spoids if you like tower defence. It's really good, and quite different. It has double-wide pathways which gives you way more creeps to deal with, and has an interesting way of dealing with difficulty. Each level has three objectives, and you have to complete one of them to move on. So for beginner players, they'll get through the game okay, and for advanced players there's always a little bit more to go for. It has brilliant presentation, is fully voiced, and plays great. Definitely worth looking at.
  • Mr-Brett 27 Mar 2012 10:14:47 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds good, I'll check that one out.

Regarding the price thing, it's brave move. While you only need a fraction of the sales to get more money back it's not something I'd do. For me the more people that get to play the game the better, which also has the knock on affect of people being more familiar with your work and more likely that you'll get word of mouth sales.

• Deleted user 27 March 2012 10:23:51
    @toythatkills Ah I see thanks for the info.

The 400 point price tag put me off straight away - its too much. I cant imagine they will get many sales at that price but then again what do I know!
  • lucky_jim 27 Mar 2012 10:26:40 5,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Unfortunately, as good as the Radiangames titles are (and I was re-visiting a load of them last night, they're superb), they're not worth that money simply because there are so many perfectly adequate alternatives for much less money.

I feel sad for having to say that. They're excellent games, and hiking the price means people like Alipan won't get to play them. What a daft move.
  • toythatkills 27 Mar 2012 10:26:54 158 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alipan wrote:The 400 point price tag put me off straight away - its too much. I cant imagine they will get many sales at that price but then again what do I know!
    The thing was, they were barely getting any sales at 80pts either, so it made sense to see. I mean, if he was getting twenty sales a month at 80, he'd only need four at 400 to make as much.

Edited by toythatkills at 10:27:48 27-03-2012
  • RelaxedMikki 27 Mar 2012 11:41:22 927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anybody know which is the best Minecraft 'tribute' of the Indies?

I quite fancy having a go, but I'm not sure which one to go for...
  • Deleted user 27 March 2012 11:48:13
    I thought that there were a lot of sexy games on the Indie Games market - vibrating controller massage stuff, scantily clad cartoon girls, and I don't even want to mention Baby Maker (1 AND 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Crazy old indie games creators.
  • Deleted user 27 March 2012 11:49:50
    @RelaxedMikki

Considering all of the sexy stuff (like what I just did a review for above) I reckon you could find Muffcraft (what ?? just saying, I wouldn't be surprised)
  • RelaxedMikki 27 Mar 2012 11:56:50 927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OK.Cheers Gregg.

Avatar Zombie Muffcraft it is then...!
  • lucky_jim 27 Mar 2012 12:00:42 5,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki

Those Minecraft clones don't really interest me (although I might give the real thing a go when it's on XBLA). However, I did notice that when I sorted the XBLIG list by either downloads or ratings, there was one that seemed a fair bit more popular than the rest. Might help you choose.
  • toythatkills 27 Mar 2012 13:18:17 158 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TBH I'd just play Minecraft on PC, or get a demo of one of the Minecraft clones and play that until the real thing comes out.
  • agparrot 27 Mar 2012 13:24:59 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    Anybody know which is the best Minecraft 'tribute' of the Indies?

I quite fancy having a go, but I'm not sure which one to go for...
    I think it depends on what bits you are more interested in. Fortresscraft, for all the occasional frothing controversy associated with it, is a really neat 'creating stuff with blocks' game, which even lets you edit the blocks you can build with, to some extent. It doesn't have enemies or weapons as such, although there are weapons and stuff in it for various PVP things which, if I'm honest I've never used.

I used some of my Xbox Reward points to buy Castle Miner Z, which I've not really spent any time with, but seems to be much nearer to the Minecraft experience (I wouldn't know in truth, I've never played Minecraft!). It sees you actually crafting various tools and weapons, and having to survive zombie onslaughts as you refine ores to make into bricks to make into buildings. It seems very involved, although there are a few bugs in the game that cause you to lose your entire inventory if you get killed, from what I remember.

quick edit: When I say weapons, Castle Miner Z has pistols, shotguns, machinepistols and so on, for gunning your way through the zombie onslaught.

Total Miner: Forge is the current most popular, I think, but I haven't played it yet - I've downloaded the demo because I think it advertises 16 player multiplayer, which sounds pretty intriguing, but I haven't actually had a go at it yet, so am not qualified to offer any opinions on it.

I am really looking forward to the actual Minecraft release though, even if it is going to be 1600 points.

Edited by agparrot at 13:26:33 27-03-2012
  • brseg 27 Mar 2012 13:30:53 679 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Magic Racing GP 2 is now 80pts, was 240pts (dont know if its a sale or permanent): marketplace link.

I only played the trial before, but did have fun with it. I expect its been patched a bit since then. Got to be worth a punt now I reckon :)

Edited by brseg at 13:35:09 27-03-2012
  • RelaxedMikki 27 Mar 2012 13:33:37 927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks ag

Sounds like Fortress craft is the one for me. I'm after a game that doesn't involve zombies, shotguns etc etc!

My PC is Windows 95 era technology - so I am console only for this one.

Just want to get a flavour of what the fuss is about really - from screenshots and reviews it's really hard to see the appeal. But obviously it's got something!
  • agparrot 27 Mar 2012 13:53:17 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    Thanks ag

Sounds like Fortress craft is the one for me. I'm after a game that doesn't involve zombies, shotguns etc etc!

My PC is Windows 95 era technology - so I am console only for this one.

Just want to get a flavour of what the fuss is about really - from screenshots and reviews it's really hard to see the appeal. But obviously it's got something!
    I was the same when I first downloaded Fortresscraft - the entire genre was a mystery to me, for the same reasons as it is to you really - my poor old PC would creak and croak under the strain of Minecraft, I think.

FortressCraft is essentially like a giant lego set, that you can have up to four people building in at the same time. It's worth spending some time (or finding on Youtube) how to grab all the 'artifacts' to make building easier (things like the Jetpack in particular make it much easier to build tall things).

Recent updates to FC include little toy machines that can help you to build, or to dig through, whole lines of blocks without your direct intervention. There is a cut and paste function which allows you to reproduce some decent-sized replicas of some of your constructions (although you can't rotate them before you drop them, sadly). The 'Workshop' allows you to fashion your own cubes on a 12x12x12 (I think) grid that lets you leave some of the spaces empty, so you can make diagonally-edged blocks and stuff.

I'd offer some links to help you, but google is probably more your friend here, and for the most part it is worth just mucking about in it. If you are on late enough at night, I could even join your world to help you hunt for artifacts or show you my world full of mostly incomplete projects.
  • monkehhh 1 Apr 2012 10:26:54 3,267 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Milkstone Studios new game, Red Invasion: Tower Defense, out now! (them who created Little Racers Street!)
  • Mr-Brett 1 Apr 2012 12:09:33 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I gave it a try, it's a decent tower defence with strongly Red Alert influenced theme. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a Milkstone game, not all that original but solid production values. I tried to buy it but got an error :/ I'll try again later.

• lucky_jim 1 Apr 2012 18:13:55 5,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not a huge fan of tower defence games unless they do something interesting like Anomaly: Warzone Earth. I'll give it a whirl anyway, I think Milkstone have earned the right to have all their output at least tried!
  • philreeduk 1 Apr 2012 19:01:36 280 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Brought 20 games to play with your mates the other day, its pretty decent 80 msp for 20 games quite a bargain!

found a trailer if you guys fancy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDw4LJKzohQ&feature=plcp&c
  • MrV333 1 Apr 2012 21:46:01 108 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @philreeduk Looks interesting, I noticed a hint of Super Sprint in the trailer so I'll be having a bit of that...

On the same note, Magic GP being down to 80pts now makes my mind up there too.

Happy days!

Edit- Tried the 20 Games top down racer effort and its not my cup of tea at all, the other games combined certainly make it worth 80pts though, difficult to argue with that price point...

Edited by MrV333 at 22:48:44 01-04-2012
  • lucky_jim 2 Apr 2012 09:34:51 5,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't realise Magic GP was down to 80msp, will have to give that another go now.

Bought the Milkstone TD game, mainly because it was so cheap and also because the time-out screen appeared just as I was about to finish the level. I have a much lower bar for 80msp games, I figure it's less than I used to stick into arcade machines as a kid so if an 80msp game keeps me occupied enough to want to play past the time-out screen, it's worth the money even if I never play it again.

This, however, I probably will play again, even though I'm not a fan of the TD genre. It's just really solid and straightforward, and actually fun (which for me personally most TD games aren't, they tend to feel more like a job). I feel like I've ripped off Milkstone twice now!
  • Page

of 76 First / Last