• BinaryBob101 22 Mar 2012 01:00:35 22,353 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know!

Beautiful tender beings.

• M83J01P97 25 Mar 2012 23:45:43 6,553 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So anyone watch this tonight and find it to be totally underwhelming?

It was more an episode for setting up series 5 than finishing off series 4, and as ominous as the Old Ones have been made out to be in the past... they certainly didn't live up to that hype in this episode. There really seemed like a great storyline waiting to burst out this year, but they never quite found a way of getting it to work. Which is a shame. Toby Whithouse having less of a role in the show this year really showed at the end of the day.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 23:46:08 25-03-2012
  • HoriZon 25 Mar 2012 23:49:14 13,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thought it ended very flat tbh, Hal is an interesting character the others are not.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Ged42 26 Mar 2012 08:03:21 7,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It wouldn't surprise me to see the old ones come back, especially Mr Snow.

I always wondered what the significance of the skeletons was that were always in the background. Also they seemed to keep focusing on how ill Mr Snow was. The cracked lips, rotten teeth and bruised eyes I thought were odd on a vamp that had no problems getting blood.

I wonder who it refers to?
  • Load_2.0 26 Mar 2012 09:01:14 18,948 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Security was a tad inadequate at vamp HQ, you would think after a few hundred years you might have a spare padlock kicking about somewhere. As for the old ones, beyond posturing they seemed completely benign.
  • localnotail 26 Mar 2012 09:21:35 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I liked it, although the pace was fast compared to other episodes. Could've done with being 2 episodes not one. A total main character revolution, but that's ok.

Curious to see what happens to Milo now.

Ged42 wrote:
    Also they seemed to keep focusing on how ill Mr Snow was. The cracked lips, rotten teeth and bruised eyes I thought were odd on a vamp that had no problems getting blood.
    I think he's just really, really, really old - I guess after being alive for a couple of millennia, you are likely to look a bit rough.

Edited by localnotail at 09:51:11 26-03-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• nickthegun 26 Mar 2012 09:35:45 58,907 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did enjoy it. I thought the characters were all interesting, the story was good and gattiss was excellent.

The only problems were, as others have said, budgetary. Everything is a bit low rent. The old ones hang around in a dockside shed in Wales, they interrogated that guy in a portakabin and they had a single bodyguard.

It is almost impossible to imagine how they managed to take over the entire country in a matter of weeks with a handful of old queens operating out of a lockup.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• localnotail 26 Mar 2012 09:53:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was a bit of a disappointment after such a build up, and I am sad to think there is no more Mr Snow, who was delicious, but I guess they were expecting the usual degree of sycophantic servitude from the younger vamps, and they just got lazy?

• nickthegun 26 Mar 2012 10:12:06 58,907 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him, or at least you would hope not.

The new guys seem a bit like the religious ones and are off to a tricky start having been written into a bit o a corner from the off. If they are all knowing an ninja like, why were they so ineffectual at stopping they fey vampires taking over the world in five minutes flat?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• localnotail 26 Mar 2012 10:18:36 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They say they work on behalf of humans to protect them, but that might just be self-serving bluster. Traditionally, stepping beyond the paranormal you find the split between good and evil - maybe they are soldiers of the South, as it were. The deep South. Where it's really hot all the time and there is a lot of screaming.

His name was Mr Rook, wasn't it? That could be a chess reference, or one of the black bird references that dark magicians get tagged with.

• M83J01P97 26 Mar 2012 12:10:13 6,553 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought his reference to being like a magician was going to reveal him to be some kind of occult figure, which might have been a bit more interesting than the secret government agency. But introducing magic into the show would be following True Blood a little too closely I think.
  • BinaryBob101 26 Mar 2012 13:42:46 22,353 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, looking at the series as a whole now, it's just all been a set-up to reboot completely and start afresh. I'm pretty glad Annie's gone, the writers have done everything they could have with her. Alex seems like an interesting enough replacement character and brings some nice humour to the table, she also seems very powerful for a n00b ghostie.

Gattis was far and away the best thing about the finale though, he just eclipsed everybody on screen whenever he was in a scene.

Shame about Cutler going too, although that was a pretty spectacular exit with some fine make-up effects. I hope we'll see hem again somehow.

Beautiful tender beings.

• themanfromdelmonte 26 Mar 2012 20:11:03 569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I liked it, although the pace was fast compared to other episodes. Could've done with being 2 episodes not one. A total main character revolution, but that's ok.

Curious to see what happens to Milo now.

Ged42 wrote:
    Also they seemed to keep focusing on how ill Mr Snow was. The cracked lips, rotten teeth and bruised eyes I thought were odd on a vamp that had no problems getting blood.
    I think he's just really, really, really old - I guess after being alive for a couple of millennia, you are likely to look a bit rough.
    Or it could also have been an indication of the purity of his vampire blood.
  • BinaryBob101 27 Mar 2012 13:04:18 22,353 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    Alex has had a pro teacher.
    This is obviously going to be a plot strand next year though.

Beautiful tender beings.

• mal 27 Mar 2012 13:26:44 22,341 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Toby Whithouse having less of a role in the show this year really showed at the end of the day.
    Unspoilered for ease of quoting.

Whithouse still wrote the first (whiney) episode and the penultimate (rather good) as well as this end episode, as well as the various series arc bits in other episodes, didn't he? To be honest it's been a bit of a weak showing from him - my favourite episodes this time round have all been from other writers.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• santashi 27 Mar 2012 16:36:25 5,057 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was actually quite glad that I decided to stick with this series in the end. I rather like the new gang and Annie got a decent departure, although I do hope that George and Nina had been keeping up on events or they might have been really pissed off with her.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• M83J01P97 28 Mar 2012 20:07:20 6,553 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Toby Whithouse having less of a role in the show this year really showed at the end of the day.
    Unspoilered for ease of quoting.

Whithouse still wrote the first (whiney) episode and the penultimate (rather good) as well as this end episode, as well as the various series arc bits in other episodes, didn't he? To be honest it's been a bit of a weak showing from him - my favourite episodes this time round have all been from other writers.
    He's mentioned a couple of times that he was forced to take a 'hands off' approach to this series because of other work commitments, so while he only wrote the first and last episode, and probably also outlined the series story-arc, it sounds like that's about all he had to do with it this year.
  • varsas 1 Apr 2012 22:03:47 2,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    Shame we didn't have a season of Old meddling but then the focus was really on if Eve would dead or not, and I see it as having it been tricky to keep that fresh for another season given it is just going to be people trying to kill her again.

Tom is interesting, he's so cool, so simple minded. Which is a great contrast to Hal. Much prefer this dynamic over brooding and whiny that we had with the old gang.

And I was totally expecting that white door/room to suddenly shriek and turn all evil but Annie's tale is done and a nice one at that.

Shame about the Old Ones, but they should never have had them all in a bunch. Although I can see the whole Hal being the only one left, rightful place in charge and shit like that being good temptation.

Although now it seems to have followed that pattern again of government organisation, although last time it was a church one. Hah!
    I have to agree Tom and Hal work much better.
    I just caught up on the latest season via iPlayer and really enjoyed it; it might even be my favourite or on par with season 1.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2012 19:18:02
    I started to think it was good around episode 3 onwards, but for me it ended on a whimper and seemed a little off key, I enjoyed the mid-season filler stories more than the war child stuff. They have replaced all cast members with younger people and I think it will edge towards being a show aimed at a younger audience, with more relevance to teenage issues.
  • mal 2 May 2012 20:10:14 22,341 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meh, first series was all about the trials of young flatmates, it's just that the programmes been on now for so bloody long that they've all grown up. It's more of a reset rather than kiddification IMO.

• Ged42 26 Jan 2013 22:48:14 7,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

New series starting next sunday.
  • M83J01P97 26 Jan 2013 23:01:52 6,553 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A friend of mine went along to the press screening last week and said it's a really poor opening episode this year, with too much going on and too many different characters all doing different things...

Re-watched series 4 a few weeks ago, and really felt like that could have been the perfect place to end the show. Not holding high hopes for this year...
  • mal 27 Jan 2013 00:08:31 22,341 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, last series was something of a full stop followed by a 'but if' to me. This series stands on its own merits to me, which at the current standings doesn't sound too positive. We'll see.

• kentmonkey 3 Feb 2013 23:06:47 20,453 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like this is going to be one series too far.

That was, frankly, dull.
  • Ged42 3 Feb 2013 23:09:19 7,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought it was good start, the Adversary was a bit cheesy especially the effects, but the rest of the episode was great.

Bumming :D

Edited by Ged42 at 23:10:04 03-02-2013
  • kentmonkey 3 Feb 2013 23:22:02 20,453 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am genuinely pleased you liked it, but for me that's not the Being Human I used to laugh at or be entertained by for an hour.

I don't feel anything for any of the characters anymore either, which doesn't help. They just all feel like inferior versions of the characters before them.

It's essentially become the Sugababes of TV shows.
  • mal 4 Feb 2013 03:08:25 22,341 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Best one for a while for me. Sure, you might miss the old flatmates, but it's probably a good thing they're not complete carbon copies of the old ones (though they share perhaps more that enough qualities). I enjoyed a Whithouse script that was actually funny for a change, rather than him writing all the po-faced opening and closing eps and leaving all the intermediate eps for guest writers who wrote silly, rather than funny eps in the main. This was still an opening episode though, and I've not yet looked up who's going to be writing the upcoming episodes, so the only thing we've actually got so far is Whithouse writing a non-po-faced opener.

Still I'd like to think I'm a tough audience, and so far he's not dropped the ball. Rather liked that, I did.

• Page

of 17 First / Last