Being Human

• Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous
  • Chopsen 19 Feb 2008 08:44:51 15,165 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anybody catch this on BBC3?

Didn't really have very high expectatioins to be honest but I was pleasantly suprised.

Kind of a "real world" fantasy drama played ever so slightly for laughs. Doesn't go for the balls-out over the top bad panto of Torchwood/Dr Who, and is all the better for it IMHO.

There's plenty of things about it I could rip in to, but I really bad at judging TV series from the pilot. Will certainly give it a go. Anyone else?
  • Skeptopotamus 19 Feb 2008 09:37:29 265 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I caught this by accident and it was mostly quite good, a nice change from the loud pantomine who/campwood malarky. They had the sense to underplay the whole supernatural thing so it managed to not come off as being totally naff, as these things usually do. One hundered face punches for the Harry Potter discussionisms at the end, though!

Is this going to be a series? They kind of set it up at the end to be one.
  • Chopsen 19 Feb 2008 09:45:30 15,165 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I checked the BBC3 website and it looks like there's a standard 6 part series.

Agree about the Harry Potter thing. The vampire also sailed a little too close to Emogoth Island for me sometimes as well.
  • evilashchris 19 Feb 2008 10:10:37 6,901 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You should have been playing Halo you tart!

>:(

But yeah, i saw the trailer and actually quite fancied it. Didn't watch of course, I had PLANS.

Tsk.

Twitter: @COToole

• Skeptopotamus 19 Feb 2008 10:24:10 265 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    The vampire also sailed a little too close to Emogoth Island for me sometimes as well.

Yes, I can see what they were trying to do with his character, but the actor did keep wobbling over the wrong side of annoyingly-brooding-and-angsty occasionally.
  • Chopsen 19 Feb 2008 10:29:25 15,165 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    evilashchris wrote:
    You should have been playing Halo you tart!

Hehe. Wife had other plans: we're on a get fit drive at the moment. Don't worry tho, we'll get bored of that soon enough and normal service will resume ;)
  • President_Weasel 19 Feb 2008 10:31:52 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I expected it to be drama school tosh, but this thread is positive enough for me to check it out. It's one of their new pilots I think, so it ought to be on about 6 times this week.
  • JediMasterMalik 25 Feb 2008 23:28:45 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Just watched the first episode on BBC i-player. Best thing I've seen this year. Funny, clever and menacing.

I like the yorkshire ghost. :D

Aye, I loved it too. The ghost was awesome, felt sorry for her at times, but also thought she was very funny. And there's Jewish Werewolf! Can't beat that

Thought it was very well acted, dialogue was iffy occasionally but overall was good. Didn't think much of the concept at first, but at about the second half I got into it and now really want to see more.
  • Bru-Man 26 Feb 2008 23:56:49 200 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Loved it myself. One of the best UK fantasy dramas I've seen in years - great characters, writing and some seriously intruiging hints at future storylines.
    Definitely hope this is the one that gets picked up for a series and not that irritating "Phoo Action" pilot.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2008 21:53:08
    Watched first half of this on i-Player the day after it was on, and have acquired the first episode to watch in full, because despite a cynical idiot colleague coming in to work bemoaning it as "shite that wanted to be the British version of 'Angel', but fails", I thought it was actually entertaining, well-shot and promising stuff, and nothing whatsoever like it was supposed to be like a British version of 'Angel'.

Only this week did I realise it was a one-off pilot - so did a full series get made yet, and if so when's it starting?
  • HoriZon 23 Mar 2008 18:43:37 13,461 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its a pilot they have been running a few of them over the last few months some may get made into more some wont.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• HoriZon 23 Mar 2008 18:48:20 13,461 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was another one on the other week not sure what it was called it was about this woman looking after her sisters/brothers kids after they had died and they were a mess, it was about the 14 year giving blowjobs wrong and the womans mother getting locked up after she was found masturbating in her car.

It ended with the woman stripping down and then it shows she had a cock!

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• ScoutTech 6 Jan 2009 21:07:41 2,420 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bump!

Just saw an advert for it coming back!!! But in the excitement forgot to see when. But hurrah it is coming. Cast changes though so be warned.

EDIT: Bummer, just looked around and apparently the pilot isn't being used as part of the series so only as a loose basis. LEss gothic and more funnier. Alarm bells ringing.
  • Hunam 7 Jan 2009 00:21:48 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's easy being Hunam.

/coat
  • GiarcYekrub 17 Jan 2009 16:55:46 3,583 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't they took all the good bits out
  • JediMasterMalik 17 Jan 2009 17:10:31 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They changed the vampire and the ghost, mega lame.
  • Chopsen 21 Jan 2009 12:48:22 15,165 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RhythmDancer wrote:
    Being Human starts on Sunday 25th January at 9pm on BBC Three

FFS, I've seen no publicity for this at all! I just happened to see this thread had been bumped recently. :/

Anyway, excellent. Was not too keen on the pilot's vampire tbh, but I did like her what played the ghost. Ah well, roll on the 25th...
  • boo 26 Jan 2009 09:08:38 11,604 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caught this last night.

Jury's still out for me. Looks like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be horror or comedy, or just a bit too hip and knowing.

And hello? Since when have vampires been able to walk around in sunlight?

I'll try it next week, but unless it settles down, finds an identity and sticks with it, I won't bother for a third week. Just ditch the emo-angst and get some more humour in there.

/notes the awkward timing of being on against X-Men 3 - 'There's a war coming - choose your side...'

Ian McKellen > Some vamp bloke who's dressed as a Policeman but comes across as an accountant

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 26 Jan 2009 15:43:53 11,604 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was talking to someone about this at lunch, and obviously Buffy came up. Apparently some vamps in that can walk around in sunlight.

Seems odd (am only part way through Series 3 - no spoilers please).

Just Another Lego Blog

• StarchildHypocrethes 26 Jan 2009 15:52:55 24,559 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah. I think there was one plot device that enabled one Vampire to do that.

Other than that, sunlight = crispy vampire.
  • skuzzbag 26 Jan 2009 16:36:26 5,483 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The bloke who wrote is or directed it was on 5live earlier and said that they didn't want to just follow tradition. Fair enough in my opinion what with fast zombies being better than shuffling boring ones, so it goes that daylight vampires are more scary than nightime ones.
  • Jos 26 Jan 2009 16:43:49 709 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The ghost being kind of solid threw me more than the vamp...
  • Scimarad 26 Jan 2009 20:03:55 8,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TBH, vampire myths are all over the place anyway. I'm pretty sure Dracula wandered around in the daylight...

I quite liked the first episode - I can't really say how it compared to the original as I never saw it. I was also slightly confused by the whole 'solid ghost' thing as well...
  • Trowel 26 Jan 2009 20:07:00 16,849 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Go Totterdown \o/
  • Chopsen 27 Jan 2009 09:59:29 15,165 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Caught this last night, thought it was quite good.

Seemed quite different to how I remember the pilot, and it's obviously had a lot more money thrown at it, but oddly my description in the OP still fits. The new bloke is MUCH better than the original vampire bloke, jury's still out on the ghost.

Yeah, I'll be watching this....

• pjmaybe 27 Jan 2009 10:03:11 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Liked the pilot but IMHO they kept the weakest member of the cast on, while ditching the other two! Wrong way round to do it...!

• Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous