Maybe there is hope for shenmue 3 after all. Sega replies.....

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • The-Bodybuilder 17 Feb 2008 16:03:59 16,929 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If anyone isn't part of the shenmue facebook group (the largest one) I suggest you join, along with the myspace site (if you're on myspace. I'm not).

Apparently, after constant nagging, sega replied to letters about shenmue 3 to the myspace site. Here it is...

"Hello,
    Thanks for writing -- it seems like Shenmue's fans are always the most passionate and committed of everyone who writes in! We are well aware of the following these games have. I realize it is frustrating but for now all I can say is: be patient! And keep checking in to www.sega.com for news ....

-Edward
    SEGA Support "

and

"Hi Jim,
    Thanks for writing -- we know full-well that Shenmue has some of the most devoted fans of any console series, and how much everyone wants to see a new game in the series. Just be patient and keep checking sega.com for new info...

-Edward
    SEGA Support "

and

"Hi Joel,
    Thanks for writing and as always, we appreciate the tenacity and dedication of the Shenmue fans. There is no current news about a Shenmue III release date, or plans to announce a release date. Sega.com will be the first place for you to find out official word of any new games.

Sorry I can't give you any more hopeful news than that -- !

-Edward
    SEGA Support "

Thank you to Just Dwizzle, Resident Joel, and Stigee for the emails :)

Obviously this is grasping at straws here, and as a mue fan, I've been doing so far the past 7 or so years now.
    I always promised not to get excited again because I truly gave up on it, but this has given me some small, slight hope.

But I'm sure it'll just end up being news about shenmue online.
  • K-Project 18 Feb 2008 13:45:47 449 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    S'ok man. I feel your pain.

That's it, let it out...

/cuddles Bodybuilder

I dunno. I'd be happy with a box set of the first two games on any of the current platforms, let alone a third. After the travesty of NiGHTS return though, I'm not even sure I want a third Shenmue anymore. The two we have are so special to me, I'd hate for Suzuki to do a naff job and break the whole thing. Sometimes you don't need to know what Darth Vader was like as a kid, if you know what I mean. Maybe we're better off with it unfinished.

Ah who am I kidding? I'd love a third Shenmue.

/sighs

/waits
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 13:48:25
    NiGHTS 2 was a long way from being a travesty. It was just a bit... raw.
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Feb 2008 13:48:38 48,227 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Would there be any point doing a third game after all this time? Wouldn't they have to rerelease the other two first so that everyone remembered what the hell was going on? :-D
  • Cappy 18 Feb 2008 13:51:31 13,654 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Would there be any point doing a third game after all this time? Wouldn't they have to rerelease the other two first so that everyone remembered what the hell was going on? :-D

The Shenmue 3 manual would come complete with a set of Youtube links for the story catchup if Sega's current level of 'professionalism' is anything to go by.
  • chrisp 18 Feb 2008 13:54:36 1,057 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh man I would *love* to get a third installment of Shenmue. Hopefully one that ties up the story for good, so they don't do what they did last time again and have people waiting for years for a fourth installment to finish the story.

I think I'd buy a console just for the game to be honest. For me both games rank as some of my favourites ever, maybe just an eencie teencie bit behind FFVII (but I'm not sure about that). I look at them today and they still look amazing, I can't imagine how astonished I must have been on their release.

If they do make a third installment, I hope they don't muck about with it too much. I'd love just more of the same (QTEs etc.), just with improved visuals.
  • DaM 18 Feb 2008 14:41:24 16,865 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    /looks for sailors

/leaves thread
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Feb 2008 14:47:43 13,019 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If Shenmue 3 was in development it would explain why they are struggling financially.

Personally as much as I like the Shenmue games I would prefer it if they did not complete the trilogy as it would only bankrupt the company.
  • The-Bodybuilder 18 Feb 2008 17:02:16 16,929 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    If Shenmue 3 was in development it would explain why they are struggling financially.

Cheap shot. LOl

Personally as much as I like the Shenmue games I would prefer it if they did not complete the trilogy as it would only bankrupt the company.

I would prefer a shenmue at the expense of sega, especially this currrent sega, who are a shadow of themselves.

A shenmue 3, followed by jet set radio online would do me nicely.
  • chrisp 18 Feb 2008 17:03:54 1,057 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Was it originally intended to be a trilogy? I remember just before the Dreamcast was launched a Sega obsessed classmate was trying to get people to buy one, and went on about this epic adventure called Shenmue, which was going to be released in 15 parts or something ridiculous.

Lack of continuation of the Shenmue series is probably what hurts (me) most about the DC's demise.
  • GrandTheftApu 18 Feb 2008 17:07:34 6,117 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Play Yakuza instead
  • Arcadiian 18 Feb 2008 17:11:40 830 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    chrisp wrote:
    Was it originally intended to be a trilogy? I remember just before the Dreamcast was launched a Sega obsessed classmate was trying to get people to buy one, and went on about this epic adventure called Shenmue, which was going to be released in 15 parts or something ridiculous.

Lack of continuation of the Shenmue series is probably what hurts (me) most about the DC's demise.

15/16 "chapters" or something like that, my memory is hazy. Shenmue II was about 4-6 of the chapters though. I can't see this happening at all, at least not until the next generation of consoles. SEGA just doesn't have the money, nor would the game sell to recoup the losses. It'd be futile.
  • oceanmotion 18 Feb 2008 17:12:37 17,269 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sega are in the shitter. Probably a desperation move before they go under or get bought.
  • Arcadiian 18 Feb 2008 17:13:44 830 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Sega are in the shitter. Probably a desperation move before they go under or get bought.

Not a chance. The reason Shenmue III (and of course the Dreamcast) was cancelled was to prevent SEGA from doing just that.
  • JYM60 18 Feb 2008 17:14:46 17,494 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They need gimmicky crap that sells not this.

Not that I'd care if they went bankrupt.
  • Gaol 18 Feb 2008 17:16:42 3,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd buy any system at any cost to play Shenmue to conclusion.
  • oceanmotion 18 Feb 2008 17:20:38 17,269 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Arcadiian wrote:
    WooHoo!!! wrote:

Not a chance. The reason Shenmue III (and of course the Dreamcast) was cancelled was to prevent SEGA from doing just that.

They tried the other route and it didn't work. Time to give in to the fans and see what happens.
  • chrisp 18 Feb 2008 17:21:52 1,057 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah yes, I'd forgotten that each game contained several parts. I remember one of these parts was apparently the boat journey from Japan to Hong Kong, which in gaming terms equated to waiting for Shenmue II to be released.

I think Shenmue II is the only game I really really didn't want to end. Even games I really like I'm usually glad to complete, but Shenmue II I just wanted to go on and on and on. It probably didn't help that you only found out what Shenmue even was at the end of the final disc, and even then you had no idea how it related to the final story.

I remember you could work out roughly how far you were into the game by seeing how many pages of the notebook were left. When I saw I was more or less on the final page I was filled with dismay :-( Maybe it's because deep down I knew we'd probably never see Shenmue III.
  • chrisp 18 Feb 2008 17:23:32 1,057 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gaol wrote:

If Sega went mad and made a Dreamcast 2, I would buy it. Even if Shenmue III were the only game to be released on it. Probably.
  • dadrester 18 Feb 2008 17:27:31 2,484 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    +1
  • Arcadiian 18 Feb 2008 17:44:23 830 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Arcadiian wrote:
    WooHoo!!! wrote:

They tried the other route and it didn't work. Time to give in to the fans and see what happens.

Even SEGA aren't that stupid. With Mario & Sonic selling so well, and Shenmue selling hardly at all, they know which route works. It's just the arcade business and the pachinko side of things with Sammy that have caused problems.
  • johnlenham 18 Feb 2008 18:44:23 4,000 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    God i remember how pissed off i was at the end of two

"What the fuck i have to wait for ANOTHER GAME!"
    throws dreamcast controller.

still waiting :(
  • armyourfists 18 Feb 2008 19:43:59 917 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    chrisp wrote:
    Gaol wrote:

If Sega went mad and made a Dreamcast 2, I would buy it. Even if Shenmue III were the only game to be released on it. Probably.

+1.
  • Timmy 18 Feb 2008 19:56:05 9,097 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Clutching at straws there aren't you!?

I thought that Sega were going to have said something a tad more solid than that.
  • caligari 18 Feb 2008 19:58:06 17,743 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Timmy wrote:
    Clutching at straws there aren't you!?

I thought that Sega were going to have said something a tad more solid than that.

Timmy confirms that MGS's Snake WILL make an appearance in Shenmue 3.
  • Tabasco 18 Feb 2008 20:21:25 5,852 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well if it does happen I'd like to see the first two on bonus discs ala Wind waker...

Never have played 'em o-O
  • Nylkran 18 Feb 2008 20:22:26 1,086 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    If anyone isn't part of the shenmue facebook group (the largest one) I suggest you join, along with the myspace site (if you're on myspace. I'm not).

Apparently, after constant nagging, sega replied to letters about shenmue 3 to the myspace site. Here it is...

"Hello,
    Thanks for writing -- it seems like Shenmue's fans are always the most passionate and committed of everyone who writes in! We are well aware of the following these games have. I realize it is frustrating but for now all I can say is: be patient! And keep checking in to www.sega.com for news ....

-Edward
    SEGA Support "

and

"Hi Jim,
    Thanks for writing -- we know full-well that Shenmue has some of the most devoted fans of any console series, and how much everyone wants to see a new game in the series. Just be patient and keep checking sega.com for new info...

-Edward
    SEGA Support "

and

"Hi Joel,
    Thanks for writing and as always, we appreciate the tenacity and dedication of the Shenmue fans. There is no current news about a Shenmue III release date, or plans to announce a release date. Sega.com will be the first place for you to find out official word of any new games.

Sorry I can't give you any more hopeful news than that -- !

-Edward
    SEGA Support "

Thank you to Just Dwizzle, Resident Joel, and Stigee for the emails :)

Obviously this is grasping at straws here, and as a mue fan, I've been doing so far the past 7 or so years now.
    I always promised not to get excited again because I truly gave up on it, but this has given me some small, slight hope.

But I'm sure it'll just end up being news about shenmue online.

Like it says in the entrance to Hell:

"THERE IS NO HOPE"
  • Futaba 19 Feb 2008 03:14:15 3,630 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a rather evil way of saying "Give up hope!".
  • Deleted user 2 June 2008 09:20:34
    Any news at all?
  • nickthegun 2 Jun 2008 09:22:17 72,051 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes. Last week Roger Sega exclusively announced;

"Give it up. Its not going to happen"
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.